PDA

View Full Version : Lofton plays on

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 04:00 PM
with the Yankees for 2 more years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1693179

Is he the best active baseball player that played basketball in college?

Past greats;

Dave Winfield
Tony Gywnn

Chicat
12-23-2003, 04:08 PM
I can't believe he gets paid $3.1 million a year to sit the bench. Baseball is by far the best sport to be a player. No salary cap, cushy game that doesn't involve a lot of physical exertion, spring training groupies, average salary above $1.5 million, 33% success rate in hitting gets you to the Hall of Fame, only pitch once every five games, spend most of the game either standing around or sitting on the bench, only rarely do you have to run more than 180 feet at a time, etc. etc. etc. Makes me wish I had practiced hitting the curve ball just a little bit more. But with all that being said, Baseball is my favorite sport with college basketball coming in a very close second. Good luck Kenny, you deserve every penny.

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 04:12 PM
F*ckin Yankees money to burn. Baseball is a lost sport. Who cares about baseball anyway. This is a hoops board, keep it simple buddy or move on.

Just Kidding. Mets in '04. Don't take that to the bank.

Chicat
12-23-2003, 04:29 PM
I've got a Mets '01-'02 Back-to-Back champions t-shirt with a hole ripped in the heart just for you ATL. Yankees baby, all . . . day . . . long . . .

In other news, UofA has a pretty good basketball team, ya heard me?

CourtCat
12-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by AtlantaWildcat

Is he the best active baseball player that played basketball in college?

Past greats;

Dave Winfield
Tony Gywnn

mark hendrickson...don't know where he played college ball but he played for three or four nba teams before becoming a major league pitcher....he was with the jays...now with the rays i think.

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 04:36 PM
I think he played at U of Washington.

Ryan Minor of Oklahoma fame and even bigger the man who replaced Cal at 3rd when his streak ended.

BibbysTowelDude
12-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Who said Lofton was gonna sit the bench? Last I heard he was gonna start and Bernie Williams was gonna be the DH...

Billy Yank
12-23-2003, 04:56 PM
I think it was three seasons ago that Kenny Lofton (NL) and Tony Clark (AL) were players-of-the-week in the same week. I watched all the popular sport shows and didn't see any mention of their common denominator as UA basketball players (albeit short-lived for TC).

The Yankee plan, as I know it, is that Bernie and dwindling defensive skills will move to DH.

I hope Kenny has an awesome season for a losing Yankees. :D

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Tony Clark played last year for the Mets, the year before for Boston. He is a FA now.

BTW, did Tony Clark play Basketball?

Chicat
12-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Bernie has said many a time (not that it matters on the Yanks where what Torre and Steinbrenner say goes) that he doesn't feel comfortable as the DH and wants to play the field. I'm all for him not playing center because he can't run anymore and he never could throw. If I had my way, Soriano would be the center fielder for the next 1o years. I bet they go out and get a 1st baseman so that Giambi doesn't have to play 162 games in the field and Lofton sits for a good portion of the season. At this point, he is just insurance (expensive insurance at that!)

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 05:06 PM
Bernie will never be a Mike Cameron in the field. Best D up the middle. Watch out for the Amazins.

Billy Yank
12-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Tony Clark was definitely in school and on scholarship, but I don't know when he left. I am certain that he never suited up for a game. I feel like he did start the season, but left before the first exhibition game. Does that count?

Chicat
12-23-2003, 05:12 PM
The Mutts are going to need some defense with all of those shots being hit up the middle off of that joke of a pitching staff. Too bad Matsui is going to screw up both shoulders diving for line drives just out of his reach and be a bigger bust than Shinjo. Oh yeah, Shea sucks too. I know you want your 400th post to be about your Mets so go ahead ATL and hit me twice.

Chicat
12-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Billy Yank
Tony Clark was definitely in school and on scholarship, but I don't know when he left. I am certain that he never suited up for a game. I feel like he did start the season, but left before the first exhibition game. Does that count?

I thought someone told me that he had a personality conflict with Lute and transfered before ever playing in a game.

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Yankees suck! Bastard have ruined Baseball.

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 05:23 PM
And you are right Chicats here it comes...

The Mets will rise again.

Someday, I hope!

Chicat
12-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Congrats ATL, you are now a Future Star - which is something the Mets won't be able to say they have this year.

Yanks in '04 (and '05, '06, '07, . . .)

CourtCat
12-23-2003, 05:49 PM
got to go with atlanta on this one...the yankee$ have ruined the entire sport...and that is hard for one team to do. really, has one team ever just absolutely killed their own sport like the yank$ have doen to baseball? by the way atl, good luck with the mets..you will need it.

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks CourtCat I will need the luck. Still with Blue Jays?

Yankees=Dook

CourtCat
12-23-2003, 06:36 PM
the jays are a solid young team with future mvp wells in center, delgado (best player in baseball?) and the reigning cy on the mound. i would take them over the mets right now..

WildcatPaulG
12-23-2003, 07:00 PM
No, the A-Rod deal ruined baseball. The Rangers give him over 250 million dollars, which was unheard of, and now free agents that think they are better than A-Rod have been requesting A-Rod money. That's ruined baseball...

Bibby4President
12-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Bernie will never be a Mike Cameron in the field. Best D up the middle.

A certain Jim Edmonds or even Andruw Jones or Torri Hunter....I think they are better than Mike Cameron...

Taylor
12-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Billy Yank

Wrong. I believe that he left the team at the Christmas break.

AtlantaWildcat
12-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Bibby4, that Mike Cameron comment was a Yankess/Mets thing.

Bibby4President
12-23-2003, 07:27 PM
oh sorry...I am a cards fan so I had to protect Jimmy....:D

the real dill
12-23-2003, 11:01 PM
"Bernie will never be a Mike Cameron in the field. Best D up the middle."

for some reason i thought Bernie got a gold glove one year, no?

Andruw Jones is the best centerfielder, and the cardinals are going down this year. Hopefully the stros can put an end to edmonds domination of Minute Maid. Im so sick of seeing that guy kill us.