PDA

View Full Version : Sac State Huh?

brianphx
03-08-2004, 07:13 PM
2-1 vs. Sac State very impressive way to represent the Pac-10. I am sure the rest of the conference is shaking with the result of that series.

Chris Bonney
03-08-2004, 07:41 PM
2 of 3 isn't all bad. The way our bullpen gave up game 1 is disturbing, but happens. If we can find some relief we will be good for the long haul. OUr starters have done well so far and our bats are starting to come around again.

Maybe the Scummies should try actually going on the road for an entire series against a good team, they might learn something. We have already played 1 game at ASSU, a 3 game set @ Baylor and will also travel to Long Beach to take on them. Other than Rice 1 gamer, have y'all played anyone away from home? Oh that's right, Murph is too afraid to leave Dumpe and play somebody. 25 games ina row at home, must be nice.

brianphx
03-08-2004, 08:39 PM
When you have the reputation and facilities that ASU has, there is no need to travel. Teams jump at the chance to play at Packard. Not many places in the nation have weather like Tempe in early spring. Also, look at the sites you are visiting - Baylor and LBSU. These teams have a stronger tradition than U of A as of late. Work on your tradition, then you can have the same respect that we enjoy. :)

NewportCat
03-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Are you really talking sh*t using ASU Baseball, man things have gotten that bad in Tempe

Did you get a chance to watch the Basketball game on Sunday??

brianphx
03-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Hmm, I thought this was a school rivalry. ASU and U of A are rivals in every sport, plus baseball is one of the big 3 sports.

LikesMikey
03-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Shut up Swallower, sau hasn't done squat in baseball in 25 years. So get over yourself and go find Sparky to calm you down and fill you up. Later, Swallower.

brianphx
03-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Well... By that same statement, I would assume that you don't think U of A has any reputation or tradition in basketball. I came to this conclusion since they only have one championship in their long history (ASU has 5 in baseball, tied for second most all-time behind USC).

LikesMikey
03-10-2004, 12:45 PM
They don't have any in the last 25 years and we have 1 National Championship in a Major Sport and have been in the hunt at the end for several others. Baseball hasn't been a major college sport since the aluminium bat was introduced and MLB started paying insane money to high schoolers. So, once again, shut up and go find sparky. Later, Swallower.

brianphx
03-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Well then in that case, we are constantly in the Regionals and Super Regionals and in 1998 we were Runner's Up. So in the past 25 years, ASU baseball and U of A basketball have about the same record in championship games. So, that means both teams have done well, or neither has done "squat". MLB started paying insane money to high schoolers . Let's change that MLB to NBA and you have the same situation. Next rebuttle please.

LikesMikey
03-10-2004, 07:06 PM
You really are stupid. The NBA takes 3 or 4 high schoolers a year where MLB takes hundreds if not thousands of high schoolers each year.
To make my point clearer to you as don't seem capable of understanding. sau has always had better facilities than ua and a recruiting base of over 3 million people in their backyard and all of california and they still can't even win the pac-10.
sau baseball and ua baseball just isn't what it used to be in the 70's and 80's, MLB takes all the top talent and college baseball is just glorified high school ball. I remember some of the teams and games that both schools used to have and no team has even come close to the talent level of back then. You knew when you went to the games that it would always be a great game, with the Brock monster as sau coach Kindall as ua coach. Always epic battles and yes sau always seemed to have great teams, but not anymore. Your coach swallows almost as much as you do.
Later swallower.

brianphx
03-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Let's see, NBA has no minor league teams for development and they have 2 rounds for their draft. The MLB has many levels of minor league teams, and they have 50 rounds to their draft. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that they could fill 50 rounds without high schoolers. They drafted 1,480 players, many of which are high schoolers, and many of which go on to play college ball.

And... Guess what? Sucton is 1.5 hours south of those 3 million people and the school is just about as far from California as Phoenix. So, as I see it, that is not a valid argument, unless you are arguing that students would rather go to ASU because Tucson sucks.

I will agree on one point though Always epic battles and yes sau always seemed to have great teams, but not anymore. These baseball games are no longer epic battles. This is for the same reason that there are no epic battles in basketball. That reason is that ASU IS JUST SO MUCH BETTER AT BASEBALL THAN u of a THAT IT IS NO LONGER A GAME, IT IS A BLOOD BATH.

ZONACAT
03-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Troll.

Irish27
03-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Okay, teams play to win National Championships. When was the last title ASU won in baseball? The UofA last one a title was in 1986.

The UofA won a National Championship in basketball in 1997. When did ASU win a championship in basketball?

brianphx
03-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, let's see. ASU has won 5 championships. U of A baseball and basketball have combined to win 4. Let's look at the overall team sport comparision:

NCAA TEAM TITLES WON BY PAC-10 SCHOOLS

Men
1. USC 71
2. UCLA 67
3. Stanford 56
4. California 21
5. Arizona State 10
Oregon 10
7. Arizona 5
8. Washington State 2
9. Oregon State 1
TOTAL 243

Women
1. Stanford 29
2. UCLA 23
4. USC 9
3. Arizona 8
5. Arizona State 6
6. Oregon 3
Washington 3
8. California 1
TOTAL 82

Overall, ASU 16 - U of A 13. So, if teams play to win national championships, then ASU is ahead of u of a.

LikesMikey
03-11-2004, 12:17 PM
to shut up swallower. suckass university has been better in baseball but we are getting better and will catch you again, it's just a matter of time now. We may not be too far from the 3 million people there in phoenass and dumbpee but we don't have access to the recruits on a daily basis as sau does. As I said before sau has the best facilities around with a great recruiting base and still can't even win the pac-10. That tells me that the coach swallows almost as much as you do. Now shut up and leave swallower.

Irish27
03-11-2004, 02:33 PM
You still did not answer my question. Here is the answer, ASU last won a baseball championship in 1981. UofA last won in 1986 and Lopez has turned things around. This program will get back to Omaha very soon.

The UofA has won a national championship in a major sport(football & basketball) and ASU has zero. Baseball is not a major sport in college.

ASU is stuck with Koeter as their football coach. I wonder if he can finish better than 9th next year.

UofA football is going to be much better under Stoops and I can't wait until we see how well he recruits after a full year here. The team should be better this year just because Mackovic is gone and the team in 2005 should be very good and in my opinion contend for the Pac-10 title.

By the way, how come an ASU fan keeps posting on a UofA board and not a Sun Devil one? I can only come to one conclusion, he is jealous of the UofA. I don't blame him, the ASU football program is in the dumps and the basketball program has been on life support for over 20 years.

Chris Bonney
03-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Brian, lets have a little intellectual honesty here for a second. How about you break down the Team Titles by sport and we shall see where you true strengths lie.

brianphx
03-11-2004, 04:18 PM
LikesMickey:
I think it is funny that you have to result to come backs like that. It shows me that your u of a "education" has taken you really far, you should be proud.

On the topic of the recruiting base: isn't it funny how teams in small towns (see Wisconsin, Iowa, Wazzu, K-State, etc. in football; and Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Cincinatti, etc. in basketball) have great teams and get good/great players? Why does U of A, whcih is close to Texas, California, and Phoenix, use this recruiting base thing as an excuse?

It is also funny that baseball is not considered a major sport for U of A. Is that only because you get beaten by teams like Sac State?

U of A National Championships from http://arizonaathletics.ocsn.com/genrel/021502aab.html

NCAA National Championship Teams

Softball

Men's Basketball

Baseball

Women's Golf

Men's Golf

ASU National Championships from thesundevils.com

BASEBALL (5)

MEN'S GOLF (2)

WOMEN'S GOLF (13)

WRESTLING (1)

MEN'S TRACK/FIELD (1)

WOMEN'S SOFTBALL (2)

There is a breakdown of Team Titles by sport. These numbers are directly from the schools, and they differ from the Pac-10.org numbers, don't really know why though. But, this is what I have received. The ASU ones are what I (which could be wrong) consider team sports (there are some others, but I don't consider archery or badmiton (sp?) sports and I left off swimming/diving).

LikesMikey
03-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I retired at 50 so I think my U of A education has done me well and I'm very proud of that fact.

Have you been out of phoenass in your life ? Wisconson has a population of over 7 million people, Ohio has a population of over 13 million people and don't even talk to me abou Wazzu and K-State. They are mercenary schools that even sau students could get into as honor roll students. Also, Wisconson is part of the Big-10 with the entire midwest as a recruiting base.
Gonzaga is a very small private school with a great coach and that's why the kids they get go there. They've been good for 4 maybe 5 years now and still haven't beaten us. So what's your point there.
Cincinnati & Wisconson, see above and Cincinnati hasn't beaten us either. What makes you think Cincinnati is a small town and there players are any good ? The only player of name is Kenyon Martin and he's is nothing more than a glorified thug.
Finally,
HERE, I'LL CAPITALIZE IT FOR YOU SO MAYBE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND IT BETTER. COLLEGE BASEBALL HAS NOT BEEN A MAJOR SPORT SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF THE ALUMINIUM BAT AND HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS GETTING PAID INSANE AMOUNTS OF MONEY. Leaving college baseball with second and third rate players for college. Imagine college football and basketball with a minor league system like MLB has in place, nobody would ever watch it because it's glorified high school ball. Do you think Barry Bonds, Bob Horner, Ron Hassey, Mark Mcguire, Reggie Jackson, to name a few, would have given college a second thought if they could get a million dollars pocket money they day they graduated high school. College baseball today is nothing compared to the 70's and 80's. Both of our schools had some tremendous teams with great talent and if Kindall hadn't recruited only goody two shoe athletes and some African Americans we could have been even better. He passed over some outstanding talent here in the Tucson area alone, Moskau, Don Hanna, he went to sau, all the Pagnozzi brothers, and quite a few more that I can't remember their names right now all because of his recruitment of mainly very christian athletes. You nad I will never see baseball teams of the 60's - 80's ever again. Later Swallower

brianphx
03-11-2004, 07:45 PM
It is time for you to stop making excuses. Arizona is a member of the Pac-10 with Texas, New Mexico, and the ENTIRE west coast to recruit from. Don't give me that "they are a member of the Big-10 and have the midwest to recruit from". The Big-10 has to recruit against the Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Big East. We have the Big 12 as the closest major conference.

Too bad AZ has to make so many excuses. I can't wait until Lute retires and the cats can only look forward to softball.

Morgan
03-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Actually, more and more pros are coming from College Baseball. Read moneyball and you will understand.

Irish27
03-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by brianphx
It is time for you to stop making excuses. Arizona is a member of the Pac-10 with Texas, New Mexico, and the ENTIRE west coast to recruit from. Don't give me that "they are a member of the Big-10 and have the midwest to recruit from". The Big-10 has to recruit against the Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Big East. We have the Big 12 as the closest major conference.

Too bad AZ has to make so many excuses. I can't wait until Lute retires and the cats can only look forward to softball.

What sport does ASU fans have to look forward to? Women's golf?

Crackem
03-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by brianphx
LikesMickey:
IIt is also funny that baseball is not considered a major sport for U of A. Is that only because you get beaten by teams like Sac State?

Only at ASU is baseball a major sport. College baseball is generally not a revenue producer. And when was the last time you saw a regular season college baseball highlight on SportsCenter? I know the televise some of the post-season, but they do that for lacrosse and soccer as well- definately not major sports.

Chris Bonney
03-12-2004, 04:06 AM
What does it mean when 14 of ASU's total team titles came from BEFORE we even joined the Pac-10? Conversely, only ONE of UA's total team titles came before we joined our current league.

Take those away and we have 2 more titles than you.

I am surprised you did not count all of your dynamic Badminton titles Brian. Props to you, you are the first scummie NOT to count those. Good Job!!

LikesMikey
03-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Oh Yeah, The recruits are just rolling out of New Mexico and we are doing quite well in Texas and California. The entire West Coast, no way. We get the left overs from USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington. Wisconson has the entire midwest and they do very well in Texas as well. Check the populations of Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania and the other Big-10 states and you'll find quite a disparity between what Wisconson from and what Arizona recruits from. I think Stoops will do quite well in Texas given a full year to recruit. He did pretty good for 2 months basically by himself. New Mexico, geez, step away from the pipe and rest your brain son.
Later Swallower.

Chris Bonney
03-12-2004, 04:28 PM
actually Mikey, New Mexico is producing a good amount of D-1 football and basketball players for some reason, especially football.

We signed Dillon Hansen last year and NM is home to one of the best DE prospects in the country Also top notch OL and RB and athletes this year.

LikesMikey
03-12-2004, 04:57 PM
OK, That's 2 recruits in two years. Hell, Tucson kicks out at least 5 D1 prospects every year, so I don't think New Mexico qualifies as a recruiting hot bed. We got 9 from the Houston area alone in what, 2 months time. Give Stoops time and he will fill the roster from Texas and California where the best players are from.

brianphx
03-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Plus, right now, u of a is not recruiting top notch football players. They are just trying to get good players to help make a turn around.

LikesMikey
03-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Stoops had 2 months, basically, by himself to recruit & put together a staff and I think he did an outstanding job of getting the players he needed to greatly improve this football team. This time, with a full year to go after recruits he will do even better and leave sau and dork in his wake. I can't wait for the next signing day next year to see what Mike can bring in.
Later Swallower

Chris Bonney
03-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Brian is gonna eat his words when UA signs Longbons, Borg, Smith, And maybe even Lowe from the Valley. That would be 4 out of the top 7-8 AZ prospects. And the best, Udofia, will end up at USC or Stanford.

Mikey, NM produced two very highly rated kids last year in Hansen and Alan Branch. THis year they have about 3 highly rated guys and 7-8 guys that are Mountain West type material, or better. NM is catching up to AZ in a hurry. But I expect AZ to start producing at much higher levels, the population growth will cause that in the next few years.