PDA

View Full Version : Loren Woods last season in the NBA?

killervibe
03-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Loren is getting nearly zero playing time. His last outting was Feb 28 in a loss to the Nets where he played 15 minutes, took no shots, had one block and one turn over.

He is now on the IR with a "lower back sprain."

I always liked Loren Woods and had hoped he would do well in the league but its not promising.

Sitting right beside him is Ndudi Ebi who last played Feb 10 in a loss to the Clippers where he played 1 minute and went 0-1 shooting. All told he has 39 minutes of game time under his belt and an impressive 16pts for the entire season.

Like Woods he is also on the IR, which basically means, we needed to make room on the roster for player who can contribute.

I project both will be playing in the European league very soon. Its shame about Woods but Ebi is deserving.

Staf4Wooden
03-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by killervibe
I project both will be playing in the European league very soon. Its shame about Woods but Ebi is deserving.
You are kidding about Ebi right? Not everybody plays their first season. Look at the 2nd pick in the draft, Darko Milicic. He has a grand total of 102 minutes on the year.

killervibe
03-16-2004, 05:05 PM
No Bill, Im not kidding.

Every single year another group of players comes out of college, high school and from over seas. Each NBA team only has a certain amount of roster spots available. By mid-season most teams have a pretty good feel for what rookies are going to pan out and which are not. If Ebi has less than one minute of playing time in over a month and has been placed on IR this late in the season, then you can expect that he wont last long in the league.

With so many picks being used up to grab guys with 'potential' its just a way of business now. They dont have time to hold a kids hand for longer than a season or two. Next draft there will be another kid just like Ebi who is readying to make the jump to the NBA and the same with the next year and the year after that...

Staf4Wooden
03-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Keep in mind, Ebi is playing on the 2nd best team in the Western Conference. Minnesota is gearing up for a playoff run, and Ebi isn't a primary concern at this point in time. Ebi could EASILY be getting minutes on MOST Eastern conference teams.

Mark@Dirtbags
03-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by killervibe
No Bill, Im not kidding.

Every single year another group of players comes out of college, high school and from over seas. Each NBA team only has a certain amount of roster spots available. By mid-season most teams have a pretty good feel for what rookies are going to pan out and which are not. If Ebi has less than one minute of playing time in over a month and has been placed on IR this late in the season, then you can expect that he wont last long in the league.

With so many picks being used up to grab guys with 'potential' its just a way of business now. They dont have time to hold a kids hand for longer than a season or two. Next draft there will be another kid just like Ebi who is readying to make the jump to the NBA and the same with the next year and the year after that...

A couple of things Killer...Ebi signed a 3 year deal, all guaranteed. With the T-Wolves not having a first rounder (from the Joe Smith debacle) for 2 more years, there is no way that they will release him. Many current high schoolers, Jermaine O'Neill, Rashard Lewis, and Tracey McGrady didn't play a lick their first year, all three are unreal.

Also, the NBA expands next year with the addition of the Charlotte Bobcats, look for Woods and Ebi to have NBA jobs next year.

killervibe
03-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Mark -
I wasnt aware they didnt have a first round pick this year. Assuming they dont trade for one between now and the next draft you have a good point. As for the three year contract, teams eat much bigger dollar amounts than a rookie contract on a yearly basis. They wouldnt hesitate to drop him if they needed room on the roster.

Only time will tell on this issue but Im not holding my breath that either will last long.

*edit* I speel guud

Merkin
03-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Not to bag on Loren, but didn't he have a nasty fall and really hurt his back? I think I saw something a month ago on ESPN Sportscenter, and LW has always had a suspect back.