PDA

View Full Version : Is Brenly terrible or is it just me?

PointGuardU03
04-12-2004, 10:55 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a whole lot about baseball, but I really hate Bob Brenly. He almost blew the world series for us by putting in BK the 2nd night in a row and is terrible with pitching changes. For example, Dessens is a very good pitcher, for 5 innings. Yet Brenly always leaves him in for the 6th, and he always gets rocked. Also, Mike Koplov (sp?) is a very good 1 inning pitcher, yet Brenly always lets him go for a 2nd inning and he always gets rocked. Now I realize this isn't what ALWAYS happens, but it's a pretty regular occurence. Am I talking out of my a$$ here, or do my claims have some validity?

azhoops
04-13-2004, 07:32 PM
no, he's terrible

Flem4Heisman
04-13-2004, 10:54 PM
He'll be the 4th professonal Arizona manager/coach fired in the past year along with McGiness, Frank Johnson, and whoever coached the Coyotes.

BibbysTowelDude
04-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Bob Francis. :D

DAHTcom
04-16-2004, 05:27 AM
The fact that he uses Koplove more then 1 inning is no big deal, he is a great pitcher, but as long as he is under 3 innings IMO.

The real reason I changed my mind on Brenly is how often he used Mike Myers to blow games last year. Over and Over and Over again, he brang him in to allow left handed power hitters to end the game.

Last almost full game I remember watching was last year at Pac Bell Park. Tie game going into the bottom 9th, he brings in Mike Myers to face Bonds lead-off. I turned the game off there, and find out the next day he hit a walkoff home run. Thats not only stoopid, thats on the level of being ASSU st00pid! I gave up on the DBacks on that day. Whether its Brenly, Colangelo, or the other old guy (not even gonna try to spell his name)... they have made some awful decisions.

Trading away Schilling was the last straw, I will now enjoy watching them lose from time to time if I work up the courage to bare another game.

Morgan
04-16-2004, 03:18 PM
He will be fired May 1.

MinorThreat22
04-16-2004, 05:50 PM
I doubt Brenly gets fired during the season. I have no problem with them trading Schilling away either. 37 yr old power pitchers don't exactly have a high life expectancy, and they got a cornerstone for their rebuilding project in Sexson. They wouldn't have gotten Sexson without De La Rosa, and the salary relief they got from the Schilling deal. Unfortunately, I have to agree about Garagiola Jr. Aside from the Schilling deal, that guy has made awful decisions. The contracts he's given to Jay Bell, Matt Williams, Matt Mantei, and dare I say it, Gonzo are horrible. The D-backs are trying to trim down to $55 million, and 9 of that is going to be going to Gonzo, a 38 yr. old former power hitter that refuses to get surgery on his shoulder. The Dessens trade was probably the worst trade he made.

PointGuardU03
04-22-2004, 03:02 PM
The first game of the Brewers series, Dessens gives up a two run shot in 6th. He then brings Koplov in, and in his second inning he gives up another run. How did we win a World Series with this guy?

MinorThreat22
04-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by PointGuardU03
How did we win a World Series with this guy?

Even a bumbling manager couldn't ovecome the heart put forth by 2 guys. Schilling and Unit.

PointGuardU03
04-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Curt and Randy were just to much to handle that year. This years team has enough talent on it to make a run at the division, yet we contiue to be terrible. I realize it's the begining of the year, but Brenly is absolutly killing us. We finally have some hitters yet our pitchers get left in too long and end up giving up runs. I guess Brenly is trying to top Grady Little for worst bullpen use ever.

Morgan
04-22-2004, 05:25 PM
8 days to go.

Chicat
04-22-2004, 05:32 PM
I don't follow the National League West all that closely, but do you guys honestly think that Brenly will be the first manager fired this year? Whatever his faults, the man does have a World Series ring and that still carries a lot of weight.

To tell you the truth though, I can't think of another manager that could be on the hot seat this early in the season, so maybe Brenly will be the first one to get the axe.

stewbacka
04-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Hot Seat Managers
Tosca Toronto
Bowa Philly
Tracy Dodgers
Melvin Seattle
Brenly AZ

funny three of those guys coached here. I doubt Brenly would get fired in season but the way things are looking you can'r rule it out.
The Dodgers look good now but I doubt Tracy will be there next year. Seattle and Philly have started to come around but I could see Bowa getting blown out. Melvin has been in some hot water since late last season. Toronto looks horrible right now and Tosca could be the first.

Chicat
04-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Tosca is the only one out of that group who's team has really hit the skids this early in the season when they were expected to compete, but he is a really well liked guy and a player's manager. They'll let him stick out the season unless there is a player's revolt or the clubhouse gets out of control.

*Edit* - I meant besides Brenly of course.

stewbacka
04-22-2004, 05:59 PM
The Phillies are 5-9 and 5.5 games out as of right now. That would be seem to be hitting the criterea of hitting the skins when they were expected to compete. Or do they need to be 4-10 for that?

Morgan
04-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Jerry Colangelo usually is pretty quick to fire Head Coaches with the Suns (Skiles, Johnson ect.) so I don't think he'll wait to blow out Bob Brenly. The funny thing about Brenly is that after the World Series he developed a huge ego. I stand by my May 1 prediction. I think Bowa is pretty safe in Philly.

EDIT: Stew, I heard from a couple friends that the management in Philly likes Bowa. Otherwise I agree he should be on the hot seat.

PointGuardU03
04-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Is a better date to aim for, perhaps the middle of may; and what the hell happened to Matt Manti. Valverde better be our closer for the rest of the year, or at, we need to get Manti some more, no closing, innings before he gets another shot.

PointGuardU03
04-25-2004, 10:43 PM
D-Backs have won 3 of their last 4 heading in to the final week of April. Morgan I don't think you're May 1st projection is going to come true, unfortunate as that maybe. Give Brenly credit though, he tried his hardest to loose games we won...

Morgan
04-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Well, I guess we will have to aim for June 1. I'm not a D-Backs fan, but living in Phoenix I did follow them. Brenly always bothered me. He took too much credit for the World Series ring. He loves the spotlight and thought he was a genius.

MinorThreat22
04-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by PointGuardU03
and what the hell happened to Matt Manti. Valverde better be our closer for the rest of the year, or at, we need to get Manti some more, no closing, innings before he gets another shot.

Valverde isn't doing much better. If this keeps up, Bruney will be closing by June.

PointGuardU03
04-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Has been more consistent then Manti. Valverde has a bad inning about 1 out of every 4 appearances, I'll take that over Manti's shakiness, everytime he gets out there in the 9th he looks like BK after he gave up those homeruns in the Bronx.