PDA

View Full Version : Matt Mantei sucks!

wosn99
04-28-2004, 11:59 PM
WOW! How the hell does Brenly stay with this guy when all he does is groove pitches? Valverde should be closing and Mantei should be doing mop up work until he can throw his offspeed stuff for strikes more consistently.

Flem4Heisman
04-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Send him to Tucson!

PointGuardU03
04-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Send him to Lancaster or lower. If we had just traded him when he still had some value this winter we'd have at least 3 more wins.

MinorThreat22
04-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by PointGuardU03
Send him to Lancaster or lower. If we had just traded him when he still had some value this winter we'd have at least 3 more wins.

That's the thing, he didn't have any value. He needed to prove himself healthy for half a season in order for the D-backs not to have to pick up a large portion of his salary or them having to take somebody else's junk in return. So much for that plan.

PointGuardU03
04-29-2004, 07:29 PM
He hade 24 saves in 27 chances. I'd wager he had a hell of a lot more value then then he does now.

Irish27
04-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Mantei has been having problems with his fingernails splitting. I heard he had two removed from his throwing hand. I bet he'll be traded by the July trading deadline. He is on his last year of his contract and there will be contending teams desperately looking for a reliever.

PointGuardU03
04-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Yeah I bet teams are just jumping all over a guy who can't get oiut of an inning with out giving up a few runs...

Irish27
04-30-2004, 11:53 PM
Even though Matt Mantei has stunk it up so far he is a top relief pitcher when healthy. There will be many teams in desperate need for a relief pitcher come trading deadline. Look at the Red Sox, they gave up Jeff Bagwell for an aging Larry Anderson.

DavidImmel
05-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by wosn99
Matt Mantei sucks!

Yup.

Irish27
05-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Mantei has lost his confidence. Valeverde needs to be the closer.

PointGuardU03
05-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Is Brenly trying to loose his job? Even when, and it doesn't happen often, Manti gets a save he looks shakey as hell. Today's game is just another disapointing lose that should have been a win. If anything Brenly should have been pitching Manti in those blow-out wins we were having against the Cubs, not in closing situations. As I've stated before I'm not the most knowledgable guy when it comes to baseball, but is there any reason why Manti isn't in the Minors? Or Dessens for that matter? Can we fire Brenly now and hire Mark Grace before the season goes up in flames. I realize that's a bit melodramatic since it's only May, but the D-Backs should be in 1st place right now.

Morgan
05-03-2004, 11:08 AM
I don't think the D-Backs should be in first place. They aren't very good. Other then that I agree with your post.

MinorThreat22
05-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Looks like Mantei could be out:

A day after giving Matt Mantei a vote of confidence, manager Bob Brenly said he'd speak to Mantei on the plane about being removed from the closer role.
''We'll talk about it on the flight,'' Brenly said. ''We'll get with Matty on the plane, and we'll talk about it.'' Mantei's personal feeling after surrendering his fifth homer (he allowed just six in 2003) is, '' I don't deserve to be on that field right now.'' Get ready for Jose Valverde.

Once a major league player reaches a certain amount of service time the act of sending them to the minors is the same as granting them their unconditional release. The player can either accept the assignment, or look for work somewhere else. The problem with that is that any team can pick them up for the min. and the D-backs would still be on the hook for the $11 million owed to both Dessens and Mantei.

Ben Hansen
05-03-2004, 02:18 PM
As of today, I'd trade Matty Mantei for two packs of Fun Dip and vanilla milkshake.

Why Jose Valverde hasn't been the closer ALL ALONG baffles me. He was sensational as a rookie last year and has been solid this year, too. I like his fire on the mound and closers need to be a little crazy to be most effective so that makes him the perfect choice instead of "Gopher Ball" Mantei.

When you're dependant upon manicures to be effective in your line of work you probably shouldn't be playing baseball...or sports in general.

Don't even get me started on Elmer Dessens, either. I abhor that freakin' guy. I'd just release him and wait until Casey Fossum comes back from AAA to take his spot in the rotation as a solid lefty with great stuff.

Mantei to the Giants for Felipe (yes, I said Felipe, not Moises) Alou and Dessens to whichever league just signed Rickey Henderson. Actually, I'd pull Gracie out of the broadcast booth to pitch instead of Dessens. At least Mark was funny on the mound.

-Ben

PointGuardU03
05-04-2004, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the info, very helpful. Does anyone know when Casey Fossum will be playing. And what's the time table on Sexston's return? Also Fugazi is better. :D

Schnebly
05-04-2004, 11:12 AM
From azcentral:

Left-hander Casey Fossum, who started the season on the disabled list with a sore shoulder, is scheduled to make his next start for Triple-A Tucson Friday.