PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's most impressive player (surprisingly) so far

Ben Hansen
05-13-2004, 02:53 PM
None other than former Diamondback 1B Lyle Overbay.

Obviously, it was a REALLY GOOD idea for the dumbasses in the Dbacks' front office to part ways with one All-Star, Junior Spivey, its best hitter from the farm system, Overbay, its most reliable catcher last year, Chad Moeller, its biggest "gamer", Craig Counsell AND another decent pitching prospect in Chris Capuano.

All for Richie Strikeout. Since Richie K is a modern day version of Rob Deer, I'm not seeing how this made any sense whatsoever for the Dbacks. Look at what Overbay is doing now.

As of the fourth inning of today's game against the Expos, Overbay was hitting .351-5-34 with 19 2Bs. He is 6th in average and 2nd behind Scott Rolen in RBI while his 19 two-baggers are far and away No. 1 in the NL.

He was also named the NL Player of the Week on Monday.

I'm glad to see Lyle doing so well. He's a very good pure hitter who obviously loves the gaps and that means he's a run producer.

-Ben

DavidImmel
05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Overbay has been nails so far this year. There have been some other pleasant surprises as well like Craig Wilson, Matt Lawton, Rondell White, and Adrian Beltre.

That was an awful trade the D-Backs made because in truth, they're probably not going to even re-sign Sexson after giving up way too much to get him.

WilmasPimp
05-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Gotta love Craig Wilson.

ZONACAT
05-13-2004, 04:15 PM
MICHAEL YOUNG!!!

Morgan
05-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Jose Guillen and Chone Figgins.

WilmasPimp
05-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Carlos Beltran is easily the best player in baseball right now, there's really no comparison. He's got a decent chance at 50/50.

azhoops
05-13-2004, 04:46 PM
I am surprised by Overbay. Beltran has been awesome, but I think everyone knew how good he was going to be. Michael Young has been great as well.

Crackem
05-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Vinnie Castilla has surprised the hell out of me. I thought that he was washed up years ago. I ridiculed the guy who picked him in my fantasy league, but now I wish I had drafted him.

Iningo_Montoya
05-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Heh, that's why I'm doing well in the GOAZCATS league. Craig "I love to rock the mullet" Wilson, Rondell White, and Michael Young on the the same squad. Now if I could just get Derek Lee to start doing something at 1B and Carlos Lee going in the outfield. Damn those Lee's!

stewbacka
05-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Pokey Reese hitting two dongs in the same game

MinorThreat22
05-14-2004, 01:32 PM
They'll resign Sexson for the reason you mentioned. They'll look even worse for giving up so much and having nothing in return. I still don't think it's that bad of a trade. Despite Overbays great start, his upside is no more than that of a Sean Casey. I'm pretty sure most GM's and managers would take .275, 45, and 120 over .320, 20 and 80 from their 1B. Spivey is the one making them look bad right now, but he hasn't been playing like an All-Star since he's been one. .263 since the 2002 all-star break with a little pop isn't worth the $3 mil he's getting this year, or the $4 mil he's going to get after FA or arbitration next season. Rolling the dice on Alomar for less than half the price didn't seem like a bad move, although I'd have rather seen them give Hairston a chance to win the job out of ST. Counsell, albeit a gamer, has one of the worst contracts since Matt Williams and Jay Bell. There's no way a utility man should have a multi year deal let alone one that pays him $7 mil over the last 2 years. Kata can do the same job, better, for $6 mil less. Capuano is nothing more than a career MR, and that's only because he's a lefty. Moeller stinks. The wildcard is going to be De La Rosa. If he turns out to be an above average SP, that could be a huge mistake. However pitching prospects are a pretty dicey game, and he still hasn't shown much in the minors at the advanced age of 24. The way I see it, they gave up a bunch of overpaid mediocrity, plus 1 solid player for a stud.

MinorThreat22
05-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by stewbacka
Pokey Reese hitting two dongs in the same game

Yeah, but one didn't count because it was an in-the-parker.;)

drewthejew
05-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Top 5 surprises....

1. Overbay-Dunno what the snakes were thinking when they traded this guy. Sexson is good, but Overbay is Mark Grace with more RBI's.
2. Castilla-Probably it's just that he's at Coors again, but I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me that he seemed pretty washed up in Atlanta.
3. Beltre-Finally reaching his potential, AND doing it with bone spurs in his ankle. Maybe the best fielding 3b aside from rolen, too.
4. Jose Guillen-I honestly thought his season last year was a fluke because he played most of it in Cincy at that launch pad. Anaheim Stadium is still a hitters park, but he's been a big surprise.
5. Craig Wilson-It's gotta be the mullet. You look at his career numbers, though, and you see that it was only a matter of time before he broke out.

Honorable Mentions-Young (though i'm not really surprised), Miguel Cabrera, Danny Bautista (did you really think he was THIS good?)

Ben Hansen
05-14-2004, 06:15 PM
It was first reported here (by me) and confirmed last night on KTLA-5 in Los Angeles that Adrian Beltre HAS, in fact, sold his soul to the Devil in return for finally approaching his vast potential.

Something is very wrong with him lately, as he is hitting damn near .380 with a bunch of dongs and ribbies. Where did the old Adrian Beltre go? You know, the one who was worth signing at the age of nine or whatever it was the Dodgers do in their shady international dealings.

stewbacka
05-14-2004, 06:52 PM
An inside the Park home run counts as a home run. Hell its even harder to get.

Victor Martinez is a name to remember catcher for the Indians.

catgrad97
05-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Ben Hansen
It was first reported here (by me) and confirmed last night on KTLA-5 in Los Angeles that Adrian Beltre HAS, in fact, sold his soul to the Devil in return for finally approaching his vast potential.

Something is very wrong with him lately, as he is hitting damn near .380 with a bunch of dongs and ribbies.

Ben, don't know if you saw this or not, but in the Dodgers' first game against the Cubbies in the second inning (I believe), Beltre pulled a Kerry Wood fastball 375 feet out...then limped across home plate due to an injury to his ankle that occurred BEFORE the home run swing. God, who IS this guy???

I totally agree about the Sexson trade...it was ridiculous. Guy may end up hitting more home runs on the year than Overbay, but it won't matter much if Lyle plays a month longer than Richie does--which is a possibility in Milwaukee for the first time since George Bamberger.

Of course, I wouldn't trade away Craig Counsell at gunpoint. He is The Little Engine That Could in the NL. And Junior Spivey and Chad Moeller too? Nobody in the media may call that a "fire sale," but you throw in THAT trade with the Curt Schilling giveaway and you have a three-alarm liquidation, at least. Why is it that trades to clear cap room never seem to make any sense?

drewthejew
05-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Beltre has been bothered by bone spurs in his ankle all year. The injury didn't occur during his AB aganst Wood.

catgrad97
05-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by drewthejew
Beltre has been bothered by bone spurs in his ankle all year. The injury didn't occur during his AB aganst Wood.

Read my post again.

Beltre pulled a Kerry Wood fastball 375 feet out...then limped across home plate due to an injury to his ankle that occurred BEFORE the home run swing.

DavidImmel
05-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Jose Guillen is a five-tool guy who showed last year that he can be a star in the Majors if given time to shine. This year he's simply picking up where he left off. He's already leading the AL in RBI's, imagine what he's going to do with Glaus, Anderson, Salmon and Erstad back in the line-up.

Morgan
05-17-2004, 11:10 AM
DI-

I think the Halos might be better off with Kotchman at first and trade Erstad. He just can't stay healthy, nor can he do enough with bat except get out "productively."

stewbacka
05-24-2004, 02:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1807447

Well maybe he ain't pretty but he knows his baseball