PDA

View Full Version : Cats Comeback...

Chris Bonney
05-30-2004, 06:37 PM
The Cats fell behind 5-0 after 2 today and chipped away and finally broke the damn down in the 8th scoring 4 runs to take a 7-6 lead and Kolberg came in for the save.

With the win the Cats get win #30, finish at .500 in the nation's best conference and if ASU loses, will tie the scummies for 4th in the league. All of that means, we are in. Most likely a 3 seed going east to Texas, Miami, Rice or some huge power right now. But we are in.

Congrats to John Meloan also, he went 7 1/3 for win #8 and finishes the regular season with a record of 8-0.

Ben Hansen
05-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Way to go Cats! Glad to see Andy Lopez has the program back on the right course.

One disagreement I have with your post, Chris, is that it seems the SEC is by far the best conference for college baseball in America. I saw the schools hosting their own regionals and the SEC has a ton while only Stanford hosts from the Pac-10.

-Ben

Irish27
05-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Ben Hansen
Way to go Cats! Glad to see Andy Lopez has the program back on the right course.

One disagreement I have with your post, Chris, is that it seems the SEC is by far the best conference for college baseball in America. I saw the schools hosting their own regionals and the SEC has a ton while only Stanford hosts from the Pac-10.

-Ben

There is a huge east-coast bias in college baseball. I think the UofA is in but the committee is mostly made up of eastern guys.

I listened to the entire game today and I thought they were in deep trouble when they went down 5-0. Great 8th inning and thankfully the ump called Hundley's hit a home run. Props also to Kolberg. This guy comes in after starting game one on Friday night.

Chris Bonney
05-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah Irish, not only did he start game one but he went the distance and threw 129 pitches in doing so.

Ben, The top 2 conferences are the Pac-10 and the SEC. I am not sold on any Big XII team with the notable exception of Texas. Up until two weeks ago the Pac-10 had a big statistical lead and then all hell broke lose on the conference standings with UA, UW and UCLA getting hot and ASU and Stanford getting cold. USC also faded as the year went on and it hurt the conference rankings. Even Oregon State is in the RPI top 60. 8 of the 9 Pac teams are in the RPI top 60. Like Irish said there is some bias.

The SEC is traditionally overmatched in post season play, especially recently with LSU taking themselves down a couple of notches.

All arguments or disagreements aside, the Cats finish at .500 or better and should easily make the tourney for the second straight year. Add that to what we have coming back and next year could be the year. Did you know that we get Sean Rierson back next year? He injured his arm and decided to come back. Rierson, Meloan and Kolberg is a good threesome for a rotation in this conference. We get a ton of hitting talent back too. Lopez has them right where he wants them. UCLA needs to look elsewhere cuz Andy aint leaving.

Irish27
05-30-2004, 08:08 PM
I just hope Kolberg comes back and does not leave early like Gardner did. It will be nice to have Rierson back but I have never been sold on him. He really had only one good year. There are some young guys who have a chance to pitch next year.

For the offense, it will be interesting to see how many come back. I think Donald and Brown are going to have huge years next year.

I hope you're right about Lopez. I remember reading about Andy's contract that said if he goes to another Pac-10 school he can't coach for two years. Anyone else remember reading that?

LegallyKenny
05-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Regional and super-regional selections are always heavily biased. But this year, part of the blame goes to ASU and UW for not even submitting regional bids. It really wouldn't hurt the conference if USC could get back to where it was a few years ago, or for UCLA to get a real coach and become the powerhouse that it should be - which is NOT Lopez, who I'm not at all sold on yet.