PDA

View Full Version : Prior returns

Crackem
06-04-2004, 05:14 PM
6 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 8 k

Dude is sick. He won't get a win though becaus the Cubs offense is non-existent lately.

WilmasPimp
06-05-2004, 12:42 PM
It seems like Dusty has been sneaking hits off the crack pipe in a back alley behind Waveland Avenue before games.

LaTroy Hawkins, far and away his superior reliever, only hurled 8 pitches in planking the Bucs in order in the 8th.

But instead of running Hawkins back out for the 9th, he brings in Fat Joe Borowski, he of the 8+ ERA, to face the meat of the Pirate order in the 9th.

This is the same skipper who routinely keeps Prior & Wood (even Schmiddy back in his SF days) on the hill after the clicker has topped 130+, yet shelves his best arm after 8 pitches.

Was getting Whorowski the save more important than preserving Prior's W?

Chicat
06-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by WilmasPimp
Was getting Whorowski the save more important than preserving Prior's W?

Maybe it was. Dusty has to figure out who his closer is going to be and this is the point in the season when he needs to make that decision. He couldn't demote Borowski last week because even though his ERA was through the roof, he hadn't blown a save yet. Now he has blown his last two and is starting to look rattled out on the mound. Now is the time to make the change and see if someone else can pick up some saves. In my opinion, it won't be Hawkins. The 8th inning is Latroy's inning, but there is just something about the 9th for that guy that makes him throw some pretty meaty pitches. I think the closer is either going to be Farnsworth or someone from outside of the organization. If the Braves are out of it by the All-Star break, don't be surprised if they ask Smoltz if he wants to rejoin Maddux...

WilmasPimp
06-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Chicats
If the Braves are out of it by the All-Star break, don't be surprised if they ask Smoltz if he wants to rejoin Maddux...

I heard that the only circumstance in which Smoltzie would approve a trade is if he is converted back to a starter.

Chicat
06-05-2004, 07:10 PM
If it comes down to having a chance at a ring, watch him give up any and all demands like that. Plus, it will take him a while to get back into starter shape and be able to throw 120 pitches, so I can't see a team taking him on as a starter. I don't know if it would happen, but it does seem to make some sense.

Chicat
06-06-2004, 02:44 PM
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs placed relief pitcher Joe Borowski on the 15-day disabled list Sunday. The move is retroactive to June 5.

Borowski, who is bothered by a shoulder injury, has appeared in 22 games this season and is 2-4 with an 8.02 ERA and nine saves in 11 chances.

The 33-year-old Borowski participated in 68 contests for the Cubs in 2003 and went 2-2, while establishing career-bests in both ERA (2.63) and saves (33).

Meanwhile, the club recalled right-hander Jon Leicester from Triple-A Iowa.

MinorThreat22
06-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Chicats
In my opinion, it won't be Hawkins. The 8th inning is Latroy's inning, but there is just something about the 9th for that guy that makes him throw some pretty meaty pitches.

I know that's the popular line of thought right now, but I don't buy it. He had one poor season in 2001, after a season in which he was 13 for 13 in saves. However, since those seasons, he's become a much better pitcher, and seems to have figured some things out. I think he's the only logical choice. If you want to talk about mental makeup, look at what happened the last time the Cubs tried to make Farnsworth the closer.