PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Fullerton...

Chris Bonney
06-28-2004, 02:34 AM
on their win in Omaha. We killed the Titans this year too.

Merkin
06-28-2004, 10:53 AM
At my days at he UA in the early 80's, Cal State Disneyland was a big rival for the baseball Cats. Good to see Fullerton back, along with Cats.

WilmasPimp
06-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Kurt Suzuki represented Baldwin High School and the fine town of Wailuku very well.

LegallyKenny
06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Texas did not accept the 2nd place trophy and refused to open their locker room to the media after the game as is typically done. Once again that prick Augie failed to represent anyone well.

Chris Bonney
06-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I am in complete agreement with you Kenny. Auggie is such an asswipe it is amazing. His team got *****slapped and all he and his little girls could do was cry about it and act like third graders.

brianphx
06-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Congrats to Fullerton! Anyone want to talk about the difficulty of ASU's bracket now?

Chris Bonney
06-28-2004, 04:07 PM
No, we took two of three from Fully. Like I said before, you lost 15-5 to a sub .500 team and were never in it against Fully either. You made them look good, Pepperdine at least.

Your regional was not the toughest Brian. You guys have HC issues you need to address before you can blame your post season ineptitude on a strong regional.

brianphx
06-29-2004, 11:44 AM
You realize that CSUF lost twice in post season play... Once to South Carolina, and once to that same Pepperdine team.

If ASU had made it out of Fullerton, they would have made it to Omaha. But then, I think they would have been done in 2 or 3.

We do have head coaching issues, and most of us will be the first to admit that. But, it blows my mind that you think your regional was more difficult that ASU's. But, I guess since you took two of three from Fullerton, that somehow makes you guys honorable national champs, or something like that.... Right?

Az_Doc
06-29-2004, 12:04 PM
man brianphx give it a rest, you guys were supposed to be some almighty baseball powerhouse that choked or just sucked!stop whining about the fact that ASSU had the toughest schedule in america and your better than everyone else and everyone cheats when they beat you etc....it gets very very old after awhile

Chris Bonney
06-29-2004, 01:07 PM
PHX, you guys playing Fully was no different than us having to play at Notre Dame. OUr 4 seed was a legit conference champ in Kent State and the 2 seed was from Fully conference and finished 4th. Yeah, Our regional was a bit tougher. To top it off you guys got to play in sunny CA and we had to travel all the way to dreary Indiana.

WilmasPimp
06-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by CJ Bonney
OUr 4 seed was a legit conference champ in Kent State

Not sure anyone should be bragging about Kent State. They finished 6th in the MAC and were one of the worst teams to make the tournament.

the real dill
06-29-2004, 02:48 PM
RCF and Legally Kenny,

As moderators of the website, I honestly think you should gather some facts before passing judgement. As I'm sure you and the rest of the world has now been informed, the president of the CWS approached the Texas coaching staff and informed that the trophy ceremony was OPTIONAL at which point they told him the kids were to broken up and they would opt out as they didn't need trophies or rings to know they were champs. If it was at all classless, why would the NCAA make it optional. I'm assuming yall posted that crap before all this was made public, but you could have recanted once it became obvious that the post was misinformed and malicious. Keep up the good work fellas.

WilmasPimp
06-29-2004, 03:20 PM
VERY weak excuses by Augie and Dill.

We didn't accept the trophy because it wasn't MANDATORY??

That's like a coach saying "there isn't any NCAA rule saying we HAVE to go out and shake hands with the winning team so we didn't do it."

Very bush league. UT is looking much worse today than they were yesterday.

the real dill
06-29-2004, 03:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=1831465

Crackem
06-29-2004, 03:32 PM
I know Augie has been to the CWS before and to the Championship game. He is not new to this. I don't know, but is this the first year they have awarded a 2nd place trophy after the last game? If not Augie should have known the custom and his exuses are just BS.

the real dill
06-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Pimp,

You have a room full of broken hearted kids who im sure there were several crying and what not. They asked, the coaches asked them who they wanted to accept the trophy, at which point the TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR said its optional. Garrido then told the commissioner that he did not want to rain on CSF's parade and to let them enjoy the moment. You guys are acting like they were protesting the outcome of the series or trying to lay blame on someone for their loss. A coach was put in an optional situation and made a choice. I played college baseball and have watched about 15 CWS in my lifetime. I never even knew the losing team sent one player out for a trophy. Garrido has been like 7 times and said he never heard of such a thing either. Its not like the coaches treatment was so bad the players planned a mutiny. Its not like our kicker got raped. Have some perspective. I guess the broadcaster on the local radio hit the nail on the head this morning, when you finish top ten in all three sports for a couple years in a row, people want to try to bring you back to the pack. No matter how silly and meaningless the alleged faults may be. I know where your coming from Pimp, and I rarely disagree with you, but seriously, college athletics has much bigger fish to fry.

WilmasPimp
06-29-2004, 03:40 PM
They have awarded a runner-up trophy for the past 17 years and on EVERY occasion the losing team has graciously accepted the trophy.

When the report first surfaced an NCAA official claimed to have asked Texas three times to come out and accept the trophy and they refused each time.

Now Augie's excuse is that due to a "lack of communication" no one FORCED them to accept so they never bothered.

Chris Bonney
06-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Texass kids are special JJ, you should know that. They were the favorites that blew their load and lost. Them being the ONLY second place finishing team NOT to accept their trophy means nothing. They are typical pampered UT athletes. Why do you think their FB team gets ass hammered by OU every year? Same mentality.

the real dill
06-29-2004, 03:47 PM
WP,

The losing team does not come out to accept the trophy. My understanding is it is usually a couple players who walks out as a rep. fights through the celebration of the winners accept the trophy and quickly exit the field. It wasn't like they skipped the awards banquet.

Crackem,

Garrido said he had never heard of such a thing. I haven't spoken with anyone that has heard of this. Its not a big deal, just a hand off of a trophy and try to get out of there without getting overrun by the celebration.

You guys keep acting like it was some kind of protest.

WilmasPimp
06-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Dill,

If Garrido had come out and said what you are trying to say ('hey we were all an emotional wreck, it was very disappointing for us, we didn't mean to show anyone up, I regret not going out there and getting the trophy') that would have been fine w/ me. I'm sure it would be perfectly understandable to almost everyone outside of Fayetville and College Station.

He's a couple days late with this new excuse as far as I'm concerned.

the real dill
06-29-2004, 03:54 PM
So tell me RCF, what menatality is it that Zona has that allows them to get the arses handed to them by every team in the PAC-10. Losing to OU is bad, but its cool that Zona got lit up like a Christmas tree in every game for the last 4 years? I guess that same mentality is why Texas has finished top 10 in all three sports the last two years. Be careful casting stones when you live in a glass house

LegallyKenny
06-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by WilmasPimp

That's like a coach saying "there isn't any NCAA rule saying we HAVE to go out and shake hands with the winning team so we didn't do it."

WP - I believe UT actully did just that last year when Rice eliminated them in Omaha.

EDIT: Of course, that is only slightly more offensive then their tradition of singing that silly-ass song before EVER shaking any opposing team's hands. Keep it up boys, its all about you.

LegallyKenny
06-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Looks like UT has had a very confusing year, their track coaches don't think anyone but the winner gets an award either. From the AA-Statesman:

Three strikes, yer out on sportsmanship

DeLoss Dodds, get a grip. On your prima donna coaches and athletes, that is.

Three times in three weeks I have witnessed as athletes wearing the beloved orange and white embarrass their fans by not showing up for a medal or trophy because it was not first place.

First it was Sanya Richards not showing up for her third-place medal after getting smoked in the 400-meter dash finals at the NCAA championship meet. Also, the acclaimed women's 1,600 relay team failed to show up on the medal stand to collect its fifth-place medals after dropping the baton. Come on, Bev Kearney, coach some class.

Now, it's the entire No. 1-ranked (previously) UT baseball team, on national television, snubbing the second-place trophy and all their fans.

Big budget, large expectations, prima donna coaches, spoiled athletes -- We're Texas?

ALAN WILEY

Round Rock

the real dill
06-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Look, I think the bottom line is hats off to Cal State Fullerton. They came and laid the wood and picked up a sweep. No one at the 40 Acres is trying to show them up or take anything away from a hard fought win. The head coach made a bad decision. I do not believe it was malicious in intent, but a poor decision. The Texas team also did not come out and sing Eyes of Texas with the fans either which has never happened before. There was something going on, and if it wouldn't have been an optional decision, they would have gone out there imo. I just wish CSF would be getting their due headlines instead of this crap. Seriously, with all the stuff going on in college athletics, its sad that something as petty as this is stealing Fulleron's headlines.