View Full Version : Hot Laker Rumors!!!

Auercat
07-10-2004, 11:32 AM
* Shaq will be traded this weekend to Miami for:

Lamar Odom
Brian Grant
Caron Butler
Miami's 2005 #1

(Note: ESPN.com has the deal wrong, it includes both Butler and the Heat's 2005 #1 pick, for salary cap reasons)

* Kobe will resign on Wednesday with the Lakers for 7 years, 140 Mil

* Vlade Divac will share the MLE with Karl Malone and return to LA

* Derek Fisher looks like he'll be in Houston next year barring any new news

* Devean George will be moved with his 5 Mil Sal for a 2G.

Bearing Down on Lakerland Hot News

Auercat

SoCalCat
07-10-2004, 12:15 PM
So sick of all the bs already. Shaq has really disappointed me as a fan and although Kobe might stay, he has done the same. If players don't want to be here, then get the hell out.

Not sure what to make out of a team with

Payton
Malone
Kobe
Odom
Grant
Butler
Vlade (not sure if I can ever like Vlade again)

Obviously, a lot of big names but I think its a team where Kobe takes 50-60% of the shots and the Lakers maybe get a playoff spot.

Also, send Shaq to Miami where he has no chance of winning. I'm so sick of him already.

Merkin
07-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm with SCC, Shaq's progress in the NBA has really disappointed me. He had the potential to be the best player ever, and turned out to be the Marlon Brando of the NBA. Fat, lazy and a malingerer.

I think Kobe is keeping his options open in Denver just in case he gets the 20 year probation deal.

What Fox says:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2566114

Tomjanovich is too nice and Kobe is too ruthlessly selfish for the Lakers to seriously contend for a championship in the foreseeable future

With George going maybe Luke will have more playing time. So maybe I still may watch them, but just like with the 76ers, I can't stand watching a team with a chucker like Kobe or Iverson.

Didn't the success of Detroit last year show Buss or Kupchak anything?

BibbysTowelDude
07-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Except Marlon Brando is the greatest ever ;)

ZONACAT
07-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Is this the same source that said the Mavs were offering both Nash, Dirk and Howard??? haha

Seriously though, why would Shaq want to go to Miami, I thought he wants to win while being the man. If that deal goes thru, Miami does not have enough to do anything....Wade and Shaq is not enough to win championships....That being said, I still dont think he is going to Dallas, unless he says that is the only place he will go.

We're trying to make a push for K-mart now...

barringer97
07-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Auercat
* Shaq will be traded this weekend to Miami for:

Lamar Odom
Brian Grant
Caron Butler
Miami's 2005 #1

(Note: ESPN.com has the deal wrong, it includes both Butler and the Heat's 2005 #1 pick, for salary cap reasons)

* Kobe will resign on Wednesday with the Lakers for 7 years, 140 Mil

* Vlade Divac will share the MLE with Karl Malone and return to LA

* Derek Fisher looks like he'll be in Houston next year barring any new news

* Devean George will be moved with his 5 Mil Sal for a 2G.

Bearing Down on Lakerland Hot News

Auercat

Terrible trade.

Odom and Grant? I just threw up in my mouth....

Don't trade Shaq, let him sit out and eat his 30 mil salary...

Cobaltrogue
07-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Don't trade Shaq, let him sit out and eat his 30 mil salary...

I don't think that the firesale on the Laker's Shaq jerseys will
cover the amount they'll end up eating in the long run.

It's a great time to be a Laker hater. Now, if just Duke would just cooperate in some way.

Bear Down,
Cobaltrogue :eek:

ZONACAT
07-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Shaq and the Heat have supposedly agreed on a contact extension....

There is no way they get Butler and their first round pick though....

From a Laker Haters POV, this a great trade for us....This in no way makes the Lakers a better team, in fact if anything they just screwed themselves.....The contracts they are taking on are enormous and Odom is extremely overrated.

So the Spurs are now the leaders of the West, hell I think Houston has a better squad than the Lakers now....

If the Mavs dont get K-Mart, man, we're going to struggle....

markmcb
07-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ZONACAT
Is this the same source that said the Mavs were offering both Nash, Dirk and Howard??? haha

Seriously though, why would Shaq want to go to Miami, I thought he wants to win while being the man. If that deal goes thru, Miami does not have enough to do anything....Wade and Shaq is not enough to win championships....That being said, I still dont think he is going to Dallas, unless he says that is the only place he will go.

I have heard that Shaq wants to go to a warm weather team. In the east, even with the players left, Miami instantly will be competing at least in the Eastern conference finals with an opporunity to get to the finals. Without Shaq, they might make the playoffs next, but they might not. Also, I read a columnist from the Miami Herald saying that they would be getting an angry, disrespected Shaq. That is the best kind for Miami :)

Cheers,
Mark

Auercat
07-10-2004, 06:34 PM
the Dallas trade ended when Nash verballed to the Susns. The only way the cap could get matched was with Antoine Walker who LA really did not want. Cuban knew that Dirk had to be a part of any Shaq deal, or it would not happen.

Ironically enough, after all is said and done, the Lakers and Mavs will be very similar types of teams along with the Kings and Wolves. All run and gun athletic teams led by guys who are perimeter stars. The only power teams left in the West will be San Antonio (Duncan), The Clips (Brand) and The Rockets (Yao). It should be very interesting to see who gets out of the wild, wild west in 05.

Bearing Down on The Lakers Not Giving Up On Getting Dampier Through A Trade

Auercat

aaa
07-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SoCalCat
Also, send Shaq to Miami where he has no chance of winning. I'm so sick of him already.

Shaq has a great shot at winning and getting to the finals in the east. Look at Miami's new division, they play agianst Charlotte, Orlando, Wahington, and some other bum team. Shaq will tear through those teams, and Wade will benefit greatly from a big man of that caliber. We're talking about a potential top 2 seed in the East. Miami is one of the fastest rising teams on the right coast.

Shaq has a great shot at winning in Miami.

ZONACAT
07-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by allaboutandre
Shaq has a great shot at winning and getting to the finals in the east. Look at Miami's new division, they play agianst Charlotte, Orlando, Wahington, and some other bum team. Shaq will tear through those teams, and Wade will benefit greatly from a big man of that caliber. We're talking about a potential top 2 seed in the East. Miami is one of the fastest rising teams on the right coast.

Shaq has a great shot at winning in Miami.

Do you want to explain to me how the Heat with Shaq will beat the Pistons, or even the Pacers....c'mon.

A combo of Shaq and Kobe couldnt do it, what makes you think Wade will??

They will make the playoffs, but no more championships....It's over for him.

Merkin
07-10-2004, 08:48 PM

Looks like K-Mart is going to the Hawks:

http://sports.iwon.com/news/07102004/v4614.html?PG=home&SEC=news

Hawks Give Sales Pitch to Martin
Jul 10, 5:38 PM (ET) Email this Story

By CHARLES ODUM
ATLANTA (AP) - The Atlanta Hawks are willing to wait for Kenyon Martin.

The New Jersey Nets' free agent was expected to leave Atlanta on Saturday with a six-year maximum contract offer - as much as $85 million.

"Going through the process, we let the guy know we have a great town and a great facility and we have an interest in putting the best team together," Hawks vice president Dominique Wilkins told The Associated Press Saturday.

Martin, however, is a restricted free agent, which means if he signs the Hawks' offer sheet, New Jersey can take 15 days to decide whether to match it.

Merkin
07-10-2004, 08:50 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/acn3352461.htm

Report: Shaq agrees to trade with Heat
Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal has agreed to a trade to the Miami Heat, according to a published report.

The Miami Herald, in a story posted on its Web site Saturday, is reporting that the deal now needs only to be finalized by the two teams.

O'Neal, who announced after the Lakers lost in the NBA Finals to Detroit that he wanted to be traded, is set to be dealt to the Heat in exchange for Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and Caron Butler.

A trade to the Heat would mark a return to Florida for O'Neal, who played the first four years of his career with the Orlando Magic.

O'Neal and his representatives met with Heat president Pat Riley and general manager Randy Pfund at an undisclosed location in Orlando on Saturday. According to the Herald, O'Neal said that he expected a deal to occur "soon, real soon."

O'Neal helped Orlando to the NBA Finals in 1995, then spent one more year with the Magic before signing with the Lakers prior to the 1996-97 season. He won the NBA MVP Award following the 1999-2000 season and is a three-time NBA Finals MVP.

The speculation surrounding O'Neal's departure heightened Saturday as the Lakers introduced Rudy Tomjanovich has their new head coach.

07/10 17:29:56 ET

aaa
07-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ZONACAT
Do you want to explain to me how the Heat with Shaq will beat the Pistons, or even the Pacers....c'mon.

A combo of Shaq and Kobe couldnt do it, what makes you think Wade will??

They will make the playoffs, but no more championships....It's over for him.

All Im saying is that they will have a great regular season (if shaqs healthy), and there is no clear cut champion yet. Maybe Detroit, but its still a longshot.

The Heat almost beat the Pacers last season, I think the only team as of now that is better is the Pistons. Shaq is far and away the best center in the east, that makes a huge difference in the east where there are maybe 3 or 4 quality big men (true big men).

If the Heat get a top 3 seed, they have a great shot at GETTING to the finals. Theres no telling what the teams may be like at that point, but I think there is a legit argument for the Heat to be contenders if they get Shaq.

SoCalCat
07-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Even if Shaq's Miami team won the east (which it wouldn't), they would never beat a San Antonio, Sacramento, or even Minnesota team.

If Shaq plays in Miami with just him and Wade, he's not going anywhere but South Beach to work on his tan.

Morgan
07-10-2004, 10:59 PM
anybody else think the lakers are going to call Cuban five seconds before the trade is done and try and get Dirk, Howard, Nahara, and a future pick for Shaq? This sort of reminds me of A-Rod last winter.

SoCalCat
07-11-2004, 11:45 AM
I guess anything is possible right now.

Class of 1990
07-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Wishful thinking Morgan but I think the Lakers want Shaq out of the West.

If the Lakers could get Damper to play center I think it could be alright. There is downside to Shaq. Injurys, Selfish beyond the normal N.B.A. player, and never has learned to hit a free throw.

The wrist don't bend therory is junk. If he hit 1/2 of the free throws he misses think about how many more wins the Lakers and Magic would have had.

I am a Laker Fan and I see this as a retooling like when Magic left with AIDS.

Damper - C
Grant - PF
Odom - SF
Kobe - SG
Payton - PG

Bench

Butler - SF
Walton - PF
George - SG
Cook - PF - C

Needs

Point Guard
Center
________
Montana medical marijuana (http://montana.dispensaries.org/)

Morgan
07-11-2004, 07:47 PM
George would have to be moved to get Dampier. I think they are a 4 or 5 seed with that team. Kobe needs to get back to 2002-2003 form where he had all those 40 point nights in a row. He dropped weight mostly due to Colorado I would imagine. It will just be lowering our expectations. We are going to have to draft better then we have.

I'd agree they would rather send Shaq to the East.

barringer97
07-12-2004, 12:02 AM
I agree with the Lakers needing Dampier, but they will have to do a Sign and Trade with Golden State...Golden State would probably take Butler & George (maybe Cook) and some number 1's for him.

Dampier
Malone
Odom
Bryant
Payton

Grant
Walton
Cook
Vlade.

Merkin
07-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Shaq to the Heat, and the Heat to Las Vegas?

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2004/july/12-las_vegas_heat.html

The Heat has been in financial difficulty in recent years. It's also the only NBA team that has hidden its balcony behind a curtain because of empty seats. Fortunes improved during Miami's exciting playoff run, but rumors remain that the franchise is one of most likely to be sold.

The Las Vegas Heat?

That's a name that fits the move.

South Florida isn't the greatest place for an NBA franchise. Pro basketball never has been big there. Even the old ABA bailed out after a short stay. It has been a struggle for the Heat, which already is playing in its second new arena since joining the NBA in 1988 and historically ranks among the lowest in average attendance.

With the lure of Las Vegas, Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in Heat uniforms, and Michael Jordan in an ownership position, it would be problem for him to put together a major ownership group. Jordan would have a chance to run the first major-league sports franchise in Las Vegas. And what a draw that would be for players.

Stern has rejected talk of a team moving there, but the area is growing rapidly as a major retirement destination and it's probably inevitable that a major sports league will move there.

Moreover, the NBA tends to be ahead of rival leagues in its thinking. Wouldn't O'Neal love, at some point, to get back into the Western Conference and make it clear to the Lakers what they lost

Merkin
07-13-2004, 11:05 PM
"Without a doubt I'm serious (about the Spurs)," Malone told the San Antonio Express-News. "I've had serious dialogue with them, and more than once. I've talked to Coach (Gregg) Popovich two or three times and (general manager) R.C. (Buford) one or two times. They call about every other day. I've had great dialogue with them."