PDA

View Full Version : The newest RJ rumor

Chicat
07-21-2004, 12:53 PM
... is that the DBacks want Jorge Posada in return. If Steinbrenner and his minions trade one of the greatest hitting catchers ever for a 40 year old pitcher with 24 million left on his deal I swear I will get my Yankees tattoo lasered off and then send the ashes to Steinbrenner's office ... along with some dog poo in a paper bag.

Az_Doc
07-21-2004, 01:24 PM
According to reports, the Diamondbacks are scouting the organizations of the Yankees, Angels, Cubs and Red Sox in hopes of finding a deal worth making for the Big Unit. However, Johnson would then have to approve that trade, and indications are he still would waive his no-trade clause only for one team -- the Yankees. The D-Backs scouted the Yankees' Triple-A club in Columbus, Ohio for the second time over the weekend, according to the New York Daily News. They were specifically evaluating infielder Robinson Cano and catcher Dioner Navarro, New York's top prospects.

Johnson's agent, Barry Meister, told the Arizona Republic he doubts his client will be traded before the July 31 deadline. He aslo reiterated that Johnson has not asked for a trade. "And he has certainly not presented a list of teams he would be willing to play for, nor has the team asked him to present a list," the
agent told the paper.

The Newark Star-Ledger on July 21 reported that Arizona has asked New York to include catcher Jorge Posada in a deal for Johnson.

The Red Sox, who have been rumored to be pondering a
three-way trade to acquire prospects from the Cubs for Nomar Garciaparra, then package them to Arizona for Johnson, reportedly are less than enthused about chasing Johnson. The Boston Herald cites multiple sources who say the team's interest in Johnson is "tepid."

The Angels appear to be the second-most likely candidate to acquire Johnson, as they have the prospects to offer and appear to be headed for the playoffs. Thursday's injury to Cubs starter Mark Prior could make the Cubs more of a factor in the Johnson chase, although there have been indications the D-Backs are in no hurry to trade Johnson at all.

stewbacka
07-21-2004, 02:17 PM
I know Posada is great but why would the DBacks want him? Or even Cano for that matter how many middle infield prospects do they need? The keys to him getting moved are the Cubs and Angels. I still feel RJ is in AZ until this time next year.

MinorThreat22
07-21-2004, 07:42 PM
I heard the same rumor, but I find this very hard to believe. Why would AZ want a 32 yr. old C due $25 million over the next 2 seasons for their rebuilding? Makes absolutely no sense.

wosn99
07-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by MinorThreat22
I heard the same rumor, but I find this very hard to believe. Why would AZ want a 32 yr. old C due $25 million over the next 2 seasons for their rebuilding? Makes absolutely no sense.

I was screaming the same thing when they traded 6 guys to fill a "hole" at 1B when the real hole was the #3 through #5 spots in the starting rotation. Garagiola really screwed the pooch on this one this year.