PDA

View Full Version : ABC to cancel MNF?

Merkin
08-25-2004, 12:45 PM
http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-abc23aug23.story

Is Walt Disney Co. running out the clock on "Monday Night Football" on ABC?

The 34-year-old sports classic is ABC's most popular and longest-running prime-time program a tradition that began in 1970 when ABC's legendary sports producer Roone Arledge put Howard Cosell, Don Meredith and Keith Jackson in the broadcast booth.

In recent years, though, the struggling Disney-owned network has been losing about $150 million annually on "Monday Night Football." ABC pays the National Football League $550 million a year for the rights to air the Monday matchups, but advertising revenue doesn't come close to covering the costs.

Now, with Disney executives under pressure to prove to Wall Street that they can reverse the fortunes of the fourth-place network and turn a profit by next year, they must decide whether the benefits of "Monday

Morgan
08-25-2004, 03:14 PM
not all that surprising. If ABC bows out, I would expect that another network will pick it up. Maybe this will be where the NFL network starts broadcasting their own games though.....

BallinestCat27
08-25-2004, 10:46 PM
That would ****ing BLOW. The only bearable part of Monday is MNF...Plus its the only night of the week where I do all my homework, since I do it while I watch...