PDA

View Full Version : NBA to get rid of 3PT shot until end of game?

Merkin
10-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Apparently there are too many white people in the NBA;)

NBA ponders alterations to 3-point rules

Bloomberg News
Oct. 14, 2004 12:00 AM

The NBA is considering a plan to abolish the three-point shot until the end of games to increase shooting percentages and make the sport more aesthetically pleasing.

The NBA may ban three-pointers until there's five minutes left in the game in its development league this season, Stu Jackson, NBA senior vice president of basketball operations, said in a telephone interview.

"We've talked about it," Jackson said. "We're wrestling with the idea." He said it was too early to tell if the NBA would change the rule.

"I don't want to jump that far ahead," he said. "It's a very radical change, certainly one that would take a great deal of time to get support if there were positive aspects."

Banning the three-point shot until late in the game might lead to a more up-tempo style and higher shooting percentages because players would be encouraged to take shots closer to the basket. It also would stop players on fast breaks from pulling up for a shot from the three-point line instead of going for layups.

The NBA instituted the three-point shot in 1979. Last season, teams shot a combined 34.7 percent from beyond the three-point line, which ranges from 22 feet to 23 feet, 9 inches from the basket.

One of the reasons the NBA started the six-team development league in 2001 was to use it as a testing ground for rules changes, Jackson said.

CatintheHeat
10-14-2004, 06:48 PM
The NBA should either keep the 3-point shot or get rid of it entirely. It is unfair to the team that is in the lead that they worked on for an entire game to be in jeopardy because their opponent now has a better opportunity in getting back into the game. This rule appears to me to be one that tries to have tight games at the end, no matter how much a team has dominated. If this rule goes into effect, it would be another reason not to watch the watered-down league.

PointGuardU03
10-14-2004, 07:21 PM
They're trying to erase Steve Kerr from the record books!!! Seriusly though, this is a terrible idea, just widen the damn lane already, and while you're at it, widen the rest of the court.

GlobalCat
10-14-2004, 08:13 PM
They should bring in the 3-point line. That was they will make it more consistent with college and how the rest of the world plays. And that way, I can be a decent 3 point shooter too.

timmy1973
10-15-2004, 12:17 PM
After watching the Olympics this summer, the NBA is looking for an excuse as to why it will remain uncompetitive in international basketball competitions. I bet it has an opposite effect to what they are intending, creating a bunch of stars that cannot shoot, but can still drive the lane. Why waste your time shooting jumpers, when the league leaders in field goal % are always centers and Power forward, who live 5 feet from the basket. After you build your lead, you switch to a 3pt prevent zone in the last 5 minutes and trade baskets. The NBA seems very confused in its actions, I don't see how this will help improve shooting. It will only make people less likely to shoot from beyond a couple feet from the rim.

BibbysTowelDude
10-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Not to mention its just a stupid freakin idea and whoever came up with should be shot.

SnowCat
10-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Without shooting, basketball would be a 94 foot game of team keepaway.

What part of that doesn't the NBA understand??

Let's see, we can't compete in the Olympics becasue we can't shoot. Let's discourage shooting even more!

I would expect;

-Less ball movement. Who cares about the open guy now?
-More injuries. Defense packs the middle, entry passes are even harder. Hell with it, let's just drive the lane every damn time! CRASH!!
-More ugly ball, more fouls, more game stoppages, and more fights. These guys are in too close now.
-Some horrendously low scores.