PDA

View Full Version : Terry Francona? Boy Did I Miss This ...

CatnPhx
10-19-2004, 01:36 AM
Hey, am I an idiot (don't answer that) or did everyone know that Terry Francona is Boston's Manager? Holy Crap! That is fantastic ... I love Francona and had hoped he was the D-Backs manager when they had an opening. He is a good man, coach and solid human being. I'm glad things worked out for him. :)

LegallyKenny
10-19-2004, 02:22 AM
I almost feel bad for him, but I'm sure he knew what he was getting into.
After Philly, are there any more fickle fans then Red Sox fans? Unless he wins the WS, he'll be crucified all summer for some mistake or another that appears entirely obvious - in hindsight.

killervibe
10-21-2004, 01:08 PM
I almost feel bad for him, but I'm sure he knew what he was getting into.
After Philly, are there any more fickle fans then Red Sox fans? Unless he wins the WS, he'll be crucified all summer for some mistake or another that appears entirely obvious - in hindsight.

I think most people in Boston could care less about the World Series now. They have won the most important game in their history and that feeling of euphoria will last for years.

No matter what else he does, TF will go down in most BoSox fans memory as one of the all time greats.

PointGuardU03
10-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Outside of the Pedro move last night, I think he has been the second best manager in the playoffs. You could make an argument that he out managed Torre, but Joe had one reliver he could get an out, not really his fault. Tito takes way too much flak for his moves, I think Boston wins the WS, but it would just be icing on the cake after this comeback.

LikesMikey
10-21-2004, 04:36 PM
He could be the Mayor of Boston tomorrow if he wanted to. He will go down in Red Sox history as the manger for the team that made the greatest comeback in sports history, not just baseball. Way to go TF and all in his first year with the Sox. It must be great to be from Boston right now with the Red Sox and the Patriots being on fire.

GlobalCat
10-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Francona's success a pleasant surprise to his UA baseball coach

Mark Gonzales
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 27, 2004 12:00 AM

Nearly 25 years ago, Jerry Kindall never envisioned that his best player would develop into a manager on the verge of winning the World Series.

"To tell you the truth, no," the former University of Arizona baseball coach said Monday in a telephone interview. "It might be my failure, not his."

Terry Francona's transformation from college star to manager of the Boston Red Sox has resurrected pleasant memories and varying degrees of surprise from those who recalled his greatness with the Wildcats. advertisement

"Terry would put the team on his back like Carlos Beltran did for Houston," said Alan Regier, a teammate of Francona's at UA in 1979-80 who serves as a pro scout for the Red Sox.

"He wasn't the type of guy who would call team meetings. But if you ever broke curfew, you wanted to make sure you were with Terry."

Francona, 45, has given the UA program many reasons to be proud. He is the school's only Golden Spikes Award recipient, which he won in 1980 for being the top college player. He led the Wildcats to the 1980 College World Series title and was the 22nd overall selection in the draft that June, selected in the first round by Montreal.

Francona remains loyal to the UA program and Kindall, who stepped down in 1996 after 1,691 wins and three College World Series titles in 24 seasons. Francona paid his own way from Yardley, Penn., last January to travel to Tucson to participate in ceremonies renaming Sancet Field as Jerry Kindall Field at Frank Sancet Stadium.

So did fellow UA alum Brad Mills, Francona's bench coach who traveled from Fresno, Calif., at his own expense to see Kindall honored.

"Both are two of the finest, upright guys and gentlemen, and genuine is an adjective I want to use," Kindall said.

Kindall recruited Francona all the way from New Brighton, Penn., on the advice of Tito Francona, Terry's father, who was a teammate of Kindall's with the Cleveland Indians.

Things were a little rough once Francona arrived in Tucson in the fall of 1977.

"Terry was so homesick during his first semester," Kindall recalled. "It was a little surprising because I remember Tito telling me to keep an eye on his son, and Terry played with my daughter during spring training when they were little kids when the Indians trained in Tucson.

"I was afraid he was going to pack his bags and leave. But he got over it. Terry had great teammates who helped him."

Those teammates included St. Louis scout Clark Crist, and former major league players Casey Candaele, Ed Vosberg, Craig Lefferts and John Moses.

It also helped that Francona met his future wife, Jacque, a nursing student and former UA cheerleader. Until Francona became Philadelphia's manager in 1997, the Franconas spent their off-seasons in Tucson.

"He's so humble," Kindall said. "I leave messages for him on his cellphone on occasion. I called him after Game 3 of the American League Championship Series was rained out, and he and Brad called. It turned out they were having dinner with their families."

Kindall is just as proud that Francona shifted careers easily after knee injuries stunted a promising playing career.

"I think he always had it," Kindall said. "He was a great leader with no deceit or pretentiousness."