PDA

View Full Version : The Basketball gods must look down in favor upon this fanatic...

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 12:00 AM
For they caused Dampier to pull a hammy and the Suns eeked out an 107-101 win at Dallas...

Amare went for 34 points, grabbed 11 boards and had 2 blocks and 2 steals.

If only every team in the League wa forced to play small-ball, the Suns would be title contenders...

But in all seriousness...

It's a huge win for the fragile pshyche of the youngest team in the League. Nash went for 18 assists, but recorded the not-so-good Triple-dip with 17 points and 10 turnovers.

And back to going crazy...

As if my night could get any better, Houston lost to the Hawks, the same Hawks the Suns killed by 30...hahahahaha....

It's good to have favor in the eyes of the basketball Majesties!!!

Embrodak
11-17-2004, 03:40 AM
phoenix is running a very simple offense this year, it seems the only play they really run is where nashy pushes it to within 14, draws the d and kicks it out to an open guy, if the help d is quick to get there they pop it down to amare, if the d doesn't get there, hey.. open jumper.

I haven't seen any kind of fundamental offense from them and that really bothers me.. I'd like to see hunter get 25+ minutes a game and see what he can do so amare can use his size out on the perimeter, setting screens and working the offense from the high post like kg. I think the suns are really limiting themselves playing amare at the 5.

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 03:47 AM
I've only gotton to see two games thus far...The Hawks win and the Cleveland loss...your sentiments ring true in both for the most part.

Amare has (in those two games) drawn consistant double-teams, freeing things up for JJ (Hawks) and Q (Cavs) to either attack the basket or shoot the three (mostly the latter)...

I like the offense, as stats show that a higher% shot can be taken before the defense is set, thus it makes more sense to push the ball up the floor. But I agree that a more consistant offesnive approach needs to be taken.

Take tonight. I didn't get to watch the game, but followed it on yahoo's Game-tracker...Nash had 10 assists mid-way through the second quarter, but had 6 To's as well. Nash finished with 18 assists and 10 TO's, such stats will likely cost the SUns a game in the playoffs.

Funny thing is Nash has always had a very good Assist/TO ratio before this season. Some of it might be his teammates, but Nash needs to know when to pull up and run a halfcourt set and when to continue the push.

Embrodak
11-17-2004, 03:53 AM
Funny thing is Nash has always had a very good Assist/TO ratio before this season. Some of it might be his teammates, but Nash needs to know when to pull up and run a halfcourt set and when to continue the push.

That is exactly what I'm getting at.

Playing the way the suns are this year catches up to you and gets more dangerous as the year goes on. Ever wonder why the mavericks never did well in the playoffs? They wore down from the pace they played at all year. I don't see this as as much of a problem for phoenix considering their wonderful depth at the wings, but I think this team has so many more offensive options than what they are utilizing and could certainly benefit both incontrolling the game's pace and in keeping healthy and fresh throughout the season by running a more conventional set some times, or even like I said a 1-4 high low with amare 12-14 feet out and nash patrolling the wings with our athletes running the baselines and up and down the key.

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 04:02 AM
Everyone says the Mavs didn't do well in the playoffs...I didn't realize that Game 6, Western Conference Finals was doing poorly...this is where the Mavs lost to the eventual Champion Spurs in 2002-03...They could have gone farther had Dirk not gotten injured in game 3or4.

But I agree. Nash needs to use his better judgement and run a pick-n-roll offense about 1/3 the time. Both JJ and Q are strong enough to set solid picks and even Amare is hitting from 18 feet (and over 80% from the FTline)...

If the Suns can ever figure out the proper offensive game, theycould seemingly average even more than they are no because of the added possessions with fewer TO's.

Embrodak
11-17-2004, 04:07 AM
Everyone says the Mavs didn't do well in the playoffs...I didn't realize that Game 6, Western Conference Finals was doing poorly...this is where the Mavs lost to the eventual Champion Spurs in 2002-03...They could have gone farther had Dirk not gotten injured in game 3or4.

But I agree. Nash needs to use his better judgement and run a pick-n-roll offense about 1/3 the time. Both JJ and Q are strong enough to set solid picks and even Amare is hitting from 18 feet (and over 80% from the FTline)...

If the Suns can ever figure out the proper offensive game, theycould seemingly average even more than they are no because of the added possessions with fewer TO's.

exactly, I believe they have the potential to be averaging 112-114 ppg with this lineup.

and with hunter in the game they'll be able to man up on 90% of the league's teams when he is on the floor, plus he provides excellent help defense.

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 04:10 AM
It's ALIVE!!!! HAHAHAHA...IT'S ALIVE!!!

Embrodak
11-17-2004, 04:15 AM
It's ALIVE!!!! HAHAHAHA...IT'S ALIVE!!!

don't make me go to bed and kill the board again. :P

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 04:29 AM
I'm already an insomniac, now I may never sleep again!!!

EDIT: Guess I was wrong... :(

F Duke
11-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Season's still young JMARK. Keep talking.

ZONACAT
11-17-2004, 03:07 PM
You guys better keep Nash's minutes in the 20's or he will break down again in the playoffs...

Just letting you know from experience. I would even sit him out of games late in the season.

And just letting you know, you guys would have lost that game if Damps and Terry did'nt get hurt. Don't start celebrating yet.

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Season's still young JMARK. Keep talking.

You don't have to tell me twice...

and I was just poking fun...nothing personal. :D

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
You guys better keep Nash's minutes in the 20's or he will break down again in the playoffs...

Just letting you know from experience. I would even sit him out of games late in the season.

And just letting you know, you guys would have lost that game if Damps and Terry did'nt get hurt. Don't start celebrating yet.

I understand what your saying. That's my primary concern as well. Barbosa, the Suns backup PG, is out with a sprained ankle and JJ has been filling in for 15 minutes a game. But I would definately like for Nash's minutes to be kept to 30mpg...no more

And I believe I addressed the last part above and my original concerns in another thread...I agree that Dampier would have had the most impact on the final outcome...but, Finley or Stackhouse is getting the big points, not both. Harris played great, from the game-cast i saw, so Terry would likely have been riding the bench anyway.

The Mavs have a little too much wing depth...one or two of them have gotsta go...

Harris, Terry, Daniels
Finley, Daniels, Terry
Howard, Stackhouse, Finley...thats 6 guys that could average 30 minutes on another team...they aren't all going to get the minutes to produce when everyone is healthy...

Dampier's absense was what hurt Dallas the most, but I wouldn't go so far as to say Dallas WOULD have won if everyone was healthy...only that they would have had a better shot at winning...unless of course you're a Psychic ;)

ZONACAT
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
HAHA.....no I'm not psychic, just a homer.

As for our wings? I don't think its going to be as big as a problem as everyone makes it out to be.

Finley is old and is being phased out, Stack is a potential free agent and is trade bait. I doubt we have that many after the trade deadline, and so far Stack has been a good lil indian. He knows if he starts complaining he will be shipped out immediately and he wants to win.

I'm not worried about any of the others, they can handle it.

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 03:38 PM
It's a shame Finley is so injury-prone. I remember cursing the day Phoenix traded Finley and Cassell for Kidd. I hated JC for it. Finley was hands-down my favorite Sun at the time and I was simply furious. It took me years to forgive that trade and if it wasn't for his contract, would love to see him back in a Suns uni...

I kid (pun intended) you not that the Fin, Cass/Kidd trade set the Phoenix franchise back 4-5 years...not to mention the prick is a serial wife-beater...AARRGG :angry:

F Duke
11-17-2004, 03:48 PM
JMARK,

I know you're just messing with me. I'd do it too if the roles were reversed. I have to admit, the Suns look damn good this year.