PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: Clippers over Lakers in first battle of LA

Morgan
11-17-2004, 02:59 AM
I'm not liking the looks of this Laker team thus far. They need Odom (who stepped up last game) to average 17 and 8 or 9 but I don't think he can do it. Right now, I think Lebron James might be better then Kobe. Look at what that guy is doing. Amazing.

The Clippers have a good coach and some talent. The Lakers have no inside presence.

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Hey Morg...

I was thinking aloud at work several weeks ago and stumbled upon this notion...

I put the over/under on Kobe's PPG and Lakers wins at: 34ppg/38 wins...

For every PPG more Kobe averages, it's one fewer win. For every PPG less, it's one more win.

I feel the Lakers are a 44 win team, but could improve once Vlade returns.

But yeah, I agree with your take. LAC has looked pretty good so far and the Lakers have only been so-so.

Embrodak
11-17-2004, 03:36 AM
I'm not liking the looks of this Laker team thus far. They need Odom (who stepped up last game) to average 17 and 8 or 9 but I don't think he can do it. Right now, I think Lebron James might be better then Kobe. Look at what that guy is doing. Amazing.

The Clippers have a good coach and some talent. The Lakers have no inside presence.

what do you mean the lakers have no inside presence? they have CHRIS FREAKIN' MIHM! he is so good!

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 03:40 AM
They'll definately be hurtin inside until Vlade returns, but Mihm has looked better than I thought. Originally I laughed and was glad the stiff wound up in LA, but after seeing him twice on TV, he's not too bad, but not enough as Morgan implied.

They could put a nice package together for Curry or Nene, but it's unlikely.

Embrodak
11-17-2004, 03:43 AM
there is no way they'd get Nene.. even with denver starting 3 power forwards.

they have an outside shot at curry if chandler develops a freaking go to post move which would make curry expendable.

speaking of I LOVE what the bulls willbe looking like 3 years from now..

Gordon, Deng and Nocioni are all looking like top 5 rookies this year.

JMarkJohns
11-17-2004, 03:52 AM
They'd look better if they hadn't traded away a future lotto pick to the Suns.

But agreed. If they can manage the budget, once Davis is off the books, then they could become serious players. If Chandler can stay healthy, then he's a top-10 defensive force. I don't feel it's out of the realm of possibiltity for Chandler to average 15ppg, 12rpg and 3bpg in two/three years. He so damn athletic...

I think if they offered Butler, Walton and a future 1st they could get him. The Nuggetrs have already experimented with Mello at SG and Butler would give them depth and versatility...though I agree they have a better shot at Curry with a similer package.

Embrodak
11-17-2004, 03:56 AM
They'd look better if they hadn't traded away a future lotto pick to the Suns.

But agreed. If they can manage the budget, once Davis is off the books, then they could become serious players. If Chandler can stay healthy, then he's a top-10 defensive force. I don't feel it's out of the realm of possibiltity for Chandler to average 15ppg, 12rpg and 3bpg in two/three years. He so damn athletic...

I think if they offered Butler, Walton and a future 1st they could get him. The Nuggetrs have already experimented with Mello at SG and Butler would give them depth and versatility...though I agree they have a better shot at Curry with a similer package.

Yeah, I feel sorry for luke, he was built for the triangle offense and only gets to play it for one year.. he definitely needs a change of scenery. I am liking this trade on the lakers end as it helps solidify the 4 spot which will tighten the rotation at the 5 and when vlade gets back it will no longer really be a weakness.

I'm still a bit leary of any team that calls chucky atkins their starting point guard. That's almost as bad as calling Howard Eisley your starting PG.

Morgan
11-18-2004, 02:14 AM
pleasently surprised to see the Lakers win but it may be a bit misleading. The Lakers shot 51% and that doesn't happen very often. I think Chris Mihm had 15 but only 3 after the first quarter.

I don't get Kobe at all, he is content to dish the ball off now that Shaq is gone but before he wasn't? He'd rather dish the ball to Chris Mihm? This team is a 5-8 seed at best but frankly if they can't go deed in the playoffs I'd rather see them get a decent lottery pick. They may have an outside shot at winning the pacific division because it doesn't look that tough.

Luke Walton sighting tonight. He had a few points at least.

Class of 1990
11-18-2004, 02:43 AM
11 assists by Kobe. If he has over 7 a game average the Lakers will be tough. They have guys who can score Butler, Odom and Kobe but can they rebound ?

Hey lets make the playoffs before worring about seeding and draft picks. The West is loaded.

Morgan
11-18-2004, 02:48 AM
11 assists by Kobe. If he has over 7 a game average the Lakers will be tough. They have guys who can score Butler, Odom and Kobe but can they rebound ?

Hey lets make the playoffs before worring about seeding and draft picks. The West is loaded.

My point is that I don't want to be a tweener team that may make the playoffs and get blown out in the first round, similar to Minnesota for so long. I'd be patient with a year or two of no playoffs if it meant that we would be a contender down the road.

Class of 1990
11-18-2004, 03:00 AM
The odds of a lottery pick is small. The Lakers won't be in the bottom 5 of the N.B.A. so the percentages are very tiny for a top 3 pick. Besides who is the number one player out there ? No one.

The key is managing the cap and Dr. Buss spending his money.

I don't want to be a 11th pick in the lottery. If we get in the playoffs as with the other 16 teams all bets are off. Ya never know till ya go.