PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see that MNF "obscenity" thing?

Officer Craig
11-18-2004, 02:55 PM
HOw lame is this becoming?????

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041118/ap_en_tv/fbn_owens_mnf_apology_4

Anyone got a video link for it? :smokin:

budd1e_lee
11-18-2004, 04:14 PM
I can see some people's points as to why it would be offending and why it shouldn't have been a part of MNF... but SERIOUSLY people get a ****ing grip!! I read an article by Mark Cuban saying that people are now making "questionable" productions simply to gain that extra publicity from all the controversy afterwards, he even called the FCC a "marketing partner". Oh and I personally think that TO is gay, in the litteral sense.

2002Alum
11-18-2004, 04:28 PM
I though it was inappropriate, but I left it at that. Some people are dragging this thing on a little too long. Some people are such idiots. Jim Rome said that we wouldn't have thought it was a big deal at all if it were Brett Favre rather than TO in the spot. He said that it was just because TO is black and that chick was white. Come on, do we have to bring race into this? It's 2004 not 1964. Jim Rome at his best... :roll:

budd1e_lee
11-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Rome is an idiot, but I do agree with the assessment of "just because it's TO.." He puts himself in controversy over and over again, and then plays the martyr "well he was up on murder charges" TO shut your mouth, play football and quit doing QUESTIONABLE things, if you think that some may take it the wrong way, dont do or say it. Play the god damn game and quit this other extracurricular sh!t.

TopCat
11-18-2004, 05:15 PM
OC,

I couldn't find a video link when I looked. I did catch the spot at the beginning of PTI last night.

Frankly, a lot of the beer commercials are worse than that. America's becoming seriously repressed, overly PC world.

I find it a sad testiment to thought in this country that people immediately jumped on the racial aspect. I agree with everyone here that the race angle is complete BS. I figure it's actually a positive sign if interrational relationships have finally become mainstream. Guess I was wrong. Wonder if the woman had been black, asian or hispanic, if there would've been as much of a stink about it?

So now we've gotten to the point that the illusion of nudity is unacceptable?

Officer Craig
11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
OC,

I couldn't find a video link when I looked. I did catch the spot at the beginning of PTI last night.

yeah man, i didn't see it either. wonderin' what all the talk was about.

Hmmmmm.

alieberman
11-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Here's an interesting article on this topic. We are entering a very strange time, where PC is getting way out of control.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/041118

Chicat
11-18-2004, 06:57 PM
How about Dungy saying that it was racially insensitive? I still can't figure out why . . .

All he said was that in this day and age of Kobe Bryant that it is insensitive to put a black man in a sexual situation on television or something like that. I'll see if I can find a link. But everyone needs to just shut up about this thing already. How can you say that having a girl in a towel isn't family entertainment when the game regularly features guys getting their sh!t blown all up??? I mean, was it "family entertainment" when Joe Theisman got his leg snapped in two? I'd much rather my kid see a chick half naked than see some guy get his arm torn off.

Chicat
11-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Here it is . . .

Dungy: 'Monday Night' intro racially offensive

If ABC hoped to generate a little bit more buzz for "Monday Night Football" and "Desperate Housewives," its steamy intro to the Dallas-Philadelphia game sure did the trick.

Two days after the network aired the segment featuring Eagles star receiver Terrell Owens and actress Nicollette Sheridan, coaches and players were still talking about it.
Monday Night Mayhem

Reaction ranged from amusement to anger. Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy found it racially offensive.

"To me that's the first thing I thought of as an African-American," Dungy said Wednesday.

"I think it's stereotypical in looking at the players, and on the heels of the Kobe Bryant incident I think it's very insensitive. I don't think that they would have had Bill Parcells or Andy Reid or one of the owners involved in that," he added, a reference to the coaches in the game.

ABC's intro showed Sheridan wearing only a towel and provocatively asking Owens to skip the game for her as the two stood alone in a locker room. She drops the towel and jumps into Owens' arms. Owens is black and Sheridan is white.

"If that's what we have to do to get ratings, I'd rather not get them," Dungy said. "I realize that ratings pays us in this league, but if that's what we have to do, I'm willing to take a pay cut."

Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb wasn't quite as vocal, saying he didn't find the segment offensive and believed people were overreacting. (Owens wasn't at practice Wednesday, excused for what the team said were personal reasons.)

"Some people do different things," McNabb said. "Not saying that my wife would allow me to do that, but it's just something that was done, and you move on."

Michael Powell, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, had a different view, questioning ABC's judgment in airing the scene.

"I wonder if Walt Disney would be proud," he said.

ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. The FCC will review complaints and decide whether or not to open an investigation that could result in a fine against the network.

"It would seem to me that while we get a lot of broadcasting companies complaining about indecency enforcement, they seem to be continuing to be willing to keep the issue at the forefront, keep it hot and steamy in order to get financial gains and the free advertising it provides," Powell told CNBC.

The segment drew complaints from viewers and the NFL. ABC Sports apologized for using the introduction to promote its show, "Desperate Housewives." Dungy's comment, however, was the first that mentioned race. He also said the segment played off stereotypes of athletes.

"That athletes are sexual predators and that that stuff is more important than what's going on on the field. That he (Owens) was more concerned with that than the game, that's a terrible message to send," Dungy said. "I'm particularly sensitive to that. It could have been any player and I would have been outraged, but being an African-American, it particularly hurt me."

A decade ago Dungy was outspoken about the lack of black coaches in the NFL. There are currently five, including Dungy and Lovie Smith, whose Bears will face Dungy's Colts on Sunday.

"It shouldn't have happened, and I couldn't believe it did happen," Smith said.

Dungy said ABC had asked the Colts, who played on Monday night last week, "to do some things I thought would make our players look a little bit silly (although) nothing like that."

"We kind of declined," he said.

Some players were also shocked.

"My mouth dropped when I saw that," said Washington tight end Mike Sellers, who was watching the game with his wife. "I said, 'Did they actually plan this on TV?"'

But at least one of his teammates wasn't bothered.

"I thought it was kind of cool, myself," linebacker Marcus Washington said. "I enjoyed the skit."

alieberman
11-18-2004, 07:10 PM
The only thing offensive with the spot was T.O.'s acting.

What about the miller lite girls commercial wrestling in their underware fighting over a beer. They used to play that ad (any many similar ones) during every break. What makes this so sleazy all of a sudden? Is it because it's T.O and everything he does has to be a controversy?

I've never been a big TO fan, but this is probably one of the least objectionable things he has done in my opinion.

catgrad97
11-18-2004, 07:11 PM
I have to admit, when I first saw that promo up to the point in which TO grins after Nicollette drops her towel, I thought, "How much blood is boiling right now in the South?" There's still too much of a culture in those red states that would find such a scene objectionable.

"I wonder if Walt Disney would be proud"??? Walt wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with Disney if he were still alive, with the hypocrisy the company has brooked in its media acquisitions. IMHO, though, there's nothing to be proud about the FCC breathing down ABC's neck over a slightly suggestive MNF promo when it allows intrusive, noisy digital ads to play over movies and TV shows on TNT and F/X, among other channels.

Phylek
11-18-2004, 08:15 PM
When I first saw the promo I was actually a little annoyed and bothered by it. Then after I thought about it for a while I realized that it wasn't because it was so over the top for TV, which it wasn't, but rather because I wasn't prepared for it when I sat down with my family to watch football. All the kids and my wife are looking at me like, "What is this?" TopCat makes a good point that many beer commercials are far more racy. I really think that it was just a kneejerk reaction by people who, like me, were surprised to see it when they did. But 2 minutes later I forgot about it and didn't care.

catgrad97
11-18-2004, 09:17 PM
but still manages to be an ass about it (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3174778)

Chicat
11-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Gotta disagree with you Catgrad, I don't think he was an ass about it. I just think that like a lot of us, he is a little confused as to what the fuss is. Besides, he didn't write the skit, so why does he need to apologize? The team and the network were the ones who were responsible for its content, not T.O.

budd1e_lee
11-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Gotta disagree with you Catgrad, I don't think he was an ass about it. I just think that like a lot of us, he is a little confused as to what the fuss is. Besides, he didn't write the skit, so why does he need to apologize? The team and the network were the ones who were responsible for its content, not T.O.

The fuss is TO doing something QUESTIONABLE, whether it was over the line or not, it was TO and it was questionable to some people. If this guy wanted to stay out of the news he would, I cant believe that he is stupid enough to think that this wouldn't draw attention and news headlines all week. The bottom line is that this is exactly what he wanted from it.

catgrad97
11-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Chi, I just think he was an ass in his apology because he still managed to cast himself as a victim of the scenario, like someone out to get him there, and continues to think he's the center of the friggin' universe. "I'll always be in the headlines." Typical T.O. :rolleyes:

WilmasPimp
11-19-2004, 02:51 AM
http://www.wfaa.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=www.wfaa.com/041115_2000mnfopen_wz.wmv

The story is much more provocative if you haven't seen it, which is why I think this has gotten so much play on the news.

NewportCat
11-19-2004, 03:47 AM
That was not Offensive at all

Everyone who was offended by that clip needs to grow up

Man what is this country coming to

Merkin
11-19-2004, 12:38 PM
WTF was the problem with that? My kids have seen a lot worse on Disney Channel. Well not really, but I saw nothing wrong with it.

I thought the only thing offensive was TO's acting. Don't give up your day job Terrell.

Chicat
11-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Welcome to the new America, where even the suggestion of sexuality will get you publically rebuked, but if you show a man getting his arm torn off on primetime television no one will bat an eyelash . . . :rolleyes: