PDA

View Full Version : Is Vince Carter really getting traded?

Chicat
11-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Fox sports right now is reporting a possible deal to the Jail Blazers.

Carter and Jalen Rose and two unnamed players for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Vladimir Stepania and Derek Anderson.

Interesting . . .

PS - Hey, JMJ!!! Look! I'm using the board!!!

Mustache Man
11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Shareef is much too straight-laced and doesn't fit in on the Blazers at all. Carter and his me-first attitude would mesh in typical fantastic Blazers fashion with guys like Ruben Patterson, Zach Randolph, Telfair, Nick the Quick, D Miles, etc.

I personally wish they never would've traded away Sheed...

JMarkJohns
11-19-2004, 05:40 PM
"PS - Hey, JMJ!!! Look! I'm using the board!!!"

It's my unabashed enthusiasm, isn't it?...it's breaking down your distain one gung-ho post at a time...

It's only baby-steps, but I'm proud a ya ;)

The trade makes so little sense for Portland that it will likely happen...

I see why Toronto would do it in theory, but reaslistically, even with the cleared CAP space, they would be unlikely to steal away any top-tier talent with the money they freed up. Honestly, both 'chises are awful, but would you rather play in Hotlanta or Toronto?

Personally, I don't know why Toronto pulls the trigger. They are playing well and would get so little talent and no picks in return for a seat-filler (carter)...The fact that the salaries are so bad is one good reason why a deal of this magnitude is unlikely to happen...

But if one team is desperate enough (Toronto) and the other stupid enough (obvious), then anything can happen.

JMarkJohns
11-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Here's an updated story, with a clarifying of the TWO different trade scenerio's...
--------------------------------
FROM THE TORONTO STAR....

Vince going to Blazers?
Raptors in serious talks about trade for Abdur-Rahim

Larger deal that included Rose on the backburner

DOUG SMITH
SPORTS REPORTER

Vince Carter wants out and he may soon get his wish.

The Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers are in the midst of serious trade discussions that would send the disgruntled five-time all-star to the NBA's Western Conference in return for power forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, according to team and league sources.

The potential deal was being worked on last night, according to sources. A larger trade involving Carter and Jalen Rose for Abdur-Rahim, either Nick Van Exel or Derek Anderson and a third Blazer was discussed but has been put on the backburner.

One league source said a high-ranking Raptor official told Abdur-Rahim last Saturday in Portland, before the Blazers and Raptors played, that Toronto was planning to make a move to obtain the 27-year-old.

Because of the arcane NBA salary cap rules, Carter could not be traded straight up for Abdur-Rahim, although each team has several low-salary players they could throw in to make the deal work. One source indicated the Raptors might want to toss in the contract of the injured Alvin Williams and take another player back to make the deal work.

Carter is to make about $12.5 million (all figures U.S.) from the Raptors this season and has two years plus a third at his option remaining on his contract. Abdur-Rahim, traded from Memphis to Atlanta in 2001 and dealt to Portland in February, is to earn about $14.7 million and becomes a free agent in July.

Under terms of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, salaries need to be within 15 per cent of each other, with a plus or minus of $150,000, in order for a trade to be consummated, meaning the Raptors would have to throw in a low-wage earner to make the Abdur-Rahim for Carter trade work.

The larger, more complicated deal involving Rose and at least two other Blazers would mean Portland would be assuming Rose's huge contract. He'll be paid more than $14 million this season and has two years and more than $30 million left on his deal.

Abdur-Rahim, the former Vancouver and Memphis Grizzlies star, demanded a trade from the Blazers during the summer, just as Carter did from the Raptors.

The 6-foot-9, 215-pound Abdur-Rahim is currently averaging 15.1 points and 5.1 rebounds a game for the Blazers but is caught in a glut of power forwards-small forwards along with Zach Randolph, Darius Miles and Ruben Patterson.

Carter, 27, who made his trade demand public in September, has been in and out of coach Sam Mitchell's doghouse for most of this season. The 6-foot-7 swingman has been benched for almost as many fourth quarters as he has played and enters tonight's home game against the Seattle SuperSonics averaging just 15 points per game and shooting a paltry 38 per cent from the field.

Raptor general manager Rob Babcock refused to comment on specific trade talks although it has been no secret around the NBA that Carter is available. The first-year general manager has always said he would make any trade he feels improves his team and a case can be made that a Carter-for-Abdur-Rahim deal improves the Raptors immensely.

The Raptors lack any kind of low-post scoring presence, which is the hallmark of Abdur-Rahim's game. The versatile native of Georgia can play either forward position and while his athleticism might not fit perfectly into the style that coach Mitchell wants to play, he could give Toronto a different look.

Carter's tenure with Toronto seems to be coming to a messy end. The all-star guard, playing for his third head coach in as many seasons, seems to want nothing to do with Toronto's long-term building plans. He has looked lethargic for long stretches this season and has found himself anchored to the bench in the deciding moments of a handful of games.

JMarkJohns
11-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Here's a story from ESPN that also helps clarify the sicheation...
---------------------------------

LINE ITEMS ...

It's up to Portland, sources indicate, whether to accept or reject Toronto's offer of Vince Carter and Jalen Rose (and parts) for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Derek Anderson and Vladimir Stepania. But the same sources say that the Blazers aren't interested in Rose. Portland's preference is dealing Abdur-Rahim and a future draft pick for Vinsanity. . . .

And Abdur-Rahim's preference, I'm told, is to stay away from Canada after his fruitless Vancouver stint. If the Blazers and Raps continue their Carter talks, don't be surprised if a third team is recruited as a possible destination for Reef. . . .