PDA

View Full Version : Apparently Stern agrees with some of us . . . Artest out for year!!

ByJoveByJingle
11-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Breaking News on ESPN:

NBA Takes A Stand
Artest The NBA responded harshly to the fight Friday ESPN Motion in Detroit. Ron Artest will not play this year. Stephen Jackson will miss 30 games, Jermaine O'Neal 25, Ben Wallace six and Anthony Johnson five. Four others received one-game suspensions and fines.

azhoops
11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
those suspensions are good

ByJoveByJingle
11-21-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure if out for the year is too much . . . but I'm not complaining. I'm glad Jackson got more than O'Neal--that seems right.

Jason Scheer
11-21-2004, 07:06 PM
He is setting precedent but I really don't see how this is agreeable. If this is the case and he is indeed suspended without pay then what should happen to the fans? That guy on the court was interviewed and said"oh I was just going on the court" So what? Why were you on the court? He deserved to get his ass kicked. 30 games would have been way more than enough. Look at the previous suspensions with the Cubs-Dodgers brawl, the Jeff Nelson fiasco and more. 70 games is way too much and will hurt Stern dramatically

ZONACAT
11-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Somewhere, Stephan A. Smith is crying....

And I wish I was there to laugh at him.

I can't wait to see how ESPN spins this...

ByJoveByJingle
11-21-2004, 07:12 PM
He is setting precedent but I really don't see how this is agreeable. If this is the case and he is indeed suspended without pay then what should happen to the fans? That guy on the court was interviewed and said"oh I was just going on the court" So what? Why were you on the court? He deserved to get his ass kicked. 30 games would have been way more than enough. Look at the previous suspensions with the Cubs-Dodgers brawl, the Jeff Nelson fiasco and more. 70 games is way too much and will hurt Stern dramatically

The NBA doesn't have jurisdiction over the fans . . . beyond banning them from attending the games (which should be done to the offending persons). The legal system will take care of the rest. The NBA has a responsibility for the actions of its players.

Jason Scheer
11-21-2004, 07:17 PM
I agree...but what about the fans? I want to hear that those season tickets have been taken away from them. I want to hear about the doubled security. I want to hear about these things that the NBA hasnt even mentioned

ByJoveByJingle
11-21-2004, 07:20 PM
They have mentioned security . . . they are going to have playoff level security at the games. As far as the tickets, I imagine that will be the responsibility of the Pistons. Give it some time . . . it will take awhile to sort it out.

Jason Scheer
11-21-2004, 07:22 PM
I just think the suspension was a bit too long. The Pistons owner sure didn't sound like an owner about to take action when he completely blamed it on Artest not for going in the stands but for sitting on the table because it is close to the fans.

muffley
11-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Remember the NBA gave Sprewell a year's suspension, and the player's union appealed. An arbitrator reduced his suspension to whatever it was.

mongrelcat
11-21-2004, 08:01 PM
I think thats about right. I would of suspended O'neal for a little less, only because he didn't punch the fan until he actually came on the court. I know a lot of people will be shocked over artests suspension but the bottom line is he punched two different fans. One was the wrong guy, the other was some chubby short dude.

HiCat
11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Sprewell should have been kicked out of the nba. Artest lucky to still have a job after this. No room for that anymore. Fans pay to see games, don't hurt them. If they act stupid kick grab them and kick them out.

Morgan
11-21-2004, 08:50 PM
no way should Artest be suspened for longer then Spreewell was, that is ridiculous.

JMarkJohns
11-21-2004, 08:54 PM
I think it's too much and quite the overreaction, but I see the reason for it...

How's the ol' saying go..."Better safe than..."

Oh well, Pacers are done!!!

Ben Hansen
11-21-2004, 09:35 PM
David Stern is a suck. WAY too long of a suspension for Ron Artest. I hope Billy Hunter and the Players' Union appeals this to the very last.

From Vernon Maxwell's 10-gamer for beating up a fan for talking to him too much to Artest's 73-game suspension (plus the playoffs) for retaliation after being hit in the face while lying down? Yeah, nice leap Dave.

I don't care what BJBJ or anyone says, this is a complete double standard. If Tim Duncan, LeBron, et. al. do the same thing they get fines and a couple games maximum.

Seventy-three games??? That is a joke.

JMarkJohns
11-21-2004, 09:44 PM
It wasn't for the crime Ben, it was for the precedence...it's as simple as that.

The punishment doesn't necessarily fit the crime, but it fits the catastrophy.

They just want to make sure that something like this NEVER happens again. They were willing to sacrafice Artest and the Pacers for what they deem the greater good - the fans that fund the League. Without 'em, "The Big Stern" doesn't get his big money and loses his title of Commish since the League wouldn't exist.

WilmasPimp
11-21-2004, 09:54 PM
If Artest ever comes back and plays again (I think there is a good chance he just calls it quits), the NBA should require him to sit in his own personal cage when he is the on the bench.

Perhaps they could put wheels on it to make it mobile. That way he could still participate in team huddles during timeouts and such, while remaining confined. Anytime an melee broke out while Artest was on the court, security could swiftly roll out the cage and secure him.

They could even surround it with chickenwire to safeguard him from projectiles flying down from the stands. Artest will probably object to such an idea, until they tell him about the sound system in the cage.

JMarkJohns
11-21-2004, 09:56 PM
The bars would likely have to be chrome...and it's wheels would need little tricked-out rims...all-in-all, not a bad idea.

Officer Craig
11-21-2004, 10:08 PM
the NBA should require him to sit in his own personal cage when he is the on the bench.

Anytime an melee broke out while Artest was on the court, security could swiftly roll out the cage and secure him.

They could even surround it with chickenwire to safeguard him from projectiles flying down from the stands. Artest will probably object to such an idea, until they tell him about the sound system in the cage.

holy sh1t that is hilarious!!!

Class of 1990
11-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Hello Ben Wallace.

Embrodak
11-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Remember the NBA gave Sprewell a year's suspension, and the player's union appealed. An arbitrator reduced his suspension to whatever it was.

68 games?

GlobalCat
11-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Ben, I like the suspension and think it is appropriate. If anything, putting this incident into another perspective, Artest got away very lightly.

Basically, the fans are customers and the players employees. Now, you cannot regulate your customers like you can your own employees, but there are ways to control them. Ticket prices are one way to do so - allowing only the wealthier (and presumably better behaved) closer to the action. Another is by banning certain people from attending. Any business has the ability to choose who they work with and the NBA should work harder in this by removing bad apples as fans. Other controls are in place and rowdy fans do get removed from the stands. No one knows for sure who threw the cup from the film footage I've seen, but believe security would have responded if given time to find the ******* who threw it.

The NBA does have greater control over their own employees than customers though. In any other business, if one of your employees is attacked by a customer and responds by beating up another non-related customer, that employee is gone. Fired - no debate about it. Its like a sales person at JC Penny's getting a shirt thrown in his face and responding by punching the person behind the offender in line. Completely unacceptable.

It is important to remember that even though the NBA is a sport, it is even more of a service-oriented business. While the product is in entertainment form, the paying customers should never have to worry about getting attacked by a performer because another customer angered one of the employees.

Bison79
11-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Okay, and saw the replays.

Artest deserved what he got. Both sides are to blame. I don't know about the others because I didn't focus on them.

So, if he only gets suspended, and a fine. How do you punish the fans? Putting them in jail doesn't work. Suspend them from their work? They probably hate their jobs and would relish it.

So, a fine, and what?

muffley
11-21-2004, 10:53 PM
David Stern is a suck. WAY too long of a suspension for Ron Artest. I hope Billy Hunter and the Players' Union appeals this to the very last.

From Vernon Maxwell's 10-gamer for beating up a fan for talking to him too much to Artest's 73-game suspension (plus the playoffs) for retaliation after being hit in the face while lying down? Yeah, nice leap Dave.

I don't care what BJBJ or anyone says, this is a complete double standard. If Tim Duncan, LeBron, et. al. do the same thing they get fines and a couple games maximum.

Seventy-three games??? That is a joke.

Artist is a habitual criminal. After a while, you get tired of arresting the same guy over and over, so give him a longer sentence to keep him off the street.

Tim Duncan, a criminal? Never. Class all the way. The Phylek of the NBA;)

JMarkJohns
11-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Tim Duncan, one my favorite players all time for the simple fact, he plays the game the right way...I agree 100% Muff, Class all the way.

It's quite the injustice that he's as poorly celebrated as he is. All he does is win and win the right way (there's that phrase again...), yet is almost an afterthought is today's thugged-out NBA...

It's just sad for both the player and the League.

Class of 1990
11-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Don't want to get much off the subject but Tim Duncan is a huge whinner.

Watch his games. It seems after every shot he misses he cries to the ref. Saw it alot during the Laker series last May.

LegallyKenny
11-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Ben, how do you know what the league would do if Duncan or someone like that did the same thing? You will never know, because those sort of players DONT PULL **** LIKE THIS! I believe I saw that Artest has been suspended 9 times (this is the 10th I believe) in the past two plus seasons by either the League or the Pacers. Obviously he's not learning his lesson so he needs something that he cannot possibly ignore. Like sitting for a seaon and costing him team a chance at a title.
And what does Maxwell's supsension matter? Look at things the other way around - Maxwell wasn't suspended long enough.

JMarkJohns
11-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Every great player whines. Duncan get fouled alot of the time. His fundamentals are so great that if his post move doesn't work, there's got to be a reason...typically it's due to fouls.

The only reason you notice him whining is because he'd so calm and collected the rest of the time, that it seems out of place...

I've got about 15 different Jordan games on tape, Jordan always whined, but normally did so during a dead-ball situation, though he sometimes would glare or just run past the ref to let him know that's still on the court and still Micheal Jordan.

muffley
11-21-2004, 11:22 PM
MJ had his own set of rules, NBA approved. Palming and travelling rules were suspended whenever MJ touched the ball.

GlobalCat
11-21-2004, 11:31 PM
I was switching between the UofA game and the press conference where Stern announced the pentalies. He said it was his call and his call alone and that Artest's previous suspensions and lack of self control directly influenced the severity of his punishment.

So basically if Duncan did the same, he would not be punished as harshly because he is a first time offender. Artest was on probation and is now back on the bench.

Officer Craig
11-22-2004, 12:35 AM
What if Artest really was being smart in thinking of his "rap career":

1. Punch anyone around him out so he gets suspended longer.
2. He has always been put off by the "rules" of the game, **** the NBA.
3. He needs to put all of his energy into the making of his rap album.

Genius!!

and great post by LK
"I believe I saw that Artest has been suspended 9 times (this is the 10th I believe) in the past two plus seasons by either the League or the Pacers. Obviously he's not learning his lesson so he needs something that he cannot possibly ignore."

GlobalCat
11-22-2004, 02:02 AM
Hey OC, someone said earlier that this was his way of establishing some "street cred." Add that as point #4!

Class of 1990
11-22-2004, 02:13 AM
#4 Street cred just like Kobe. LOL