PDA

View Full Version : Sports Guy's take on the fiasco . . .

ByJoveByJingle
11-22-2004, 09:06 PM
As usual, on the money. He hits many of the high points we've discussed on the board (including the brilliant Artest in a Cage idea and my contention that Artest lying on the table was, in fact, intentionally provocative and not being peaceful):

SportsGuy on Artest and fiasco (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/041122)

4. Most underrated part of the night: The ESPN Shootaround crew defending Artest on Friday night by saying that he diffused the situation with Ben Wallace by lying on the scorer's table, then had every right to flip out once someone tossed a beer on him. First of all, Artest was lying on the table because he was being a jerk -- there were 10 people between him and Big Ben, so there was more than a little gamesmanship in that move. He knew it would infuriate Wallace. Which it did. Second, who the heck would defiantly lie on a scorer's table like that? Would Grant Hill have done that? KG? Dwyane Wade? Steve Nash? Anyone rational? And third, if you're trying to tempt opposing fans to do something dumb, that's the perfect place to do it -- which is why Larry Brown was screaming at the refs to get him off there.

(Note: I'm not using the "He was Asking for It" defense like Pistons CEO Tom Wilson did Friday night, but at the same time, Artest should have known nothing good would happen once he intentionally blurred the barrier between the court and the fans. And it's not like they were playing in Salt Lake City or the Meadowlands here -- they were going against a heated rival that plays in the fiestiest city in the league. Seriously, what were the odds of someone lobbing a beer on him? Even money?)

(But here's my compromise idea: For the rest of the season, before every game, Artest gets wheeled out to midcourt like Hannibal Lecter -- you know, tied to one of those white stretchers and wearing a strait jacket and the metal facemask. Then, they untie him, and he gets to warm up with his team. I think this would get the message across to the fans -- stay away from this guy.)

azhoops
11-22-2004, 10:12 PM
The sportsguy is awesome

Bison79
11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
That's hilarious...that seems like a reasonable punishment too. Except maybe go medieval and have people throw apples and stones at him for two minutes as well.

I can just hear the announcer, "who is the lucky fan today who will pelt Artest with apples and stones? This fan is sitting in section D, row, 5, seat G, come on down!"

Officer Craig
11-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I can just hear the announcer, "who is the lucky fan today who will pelt Artest with apples and stones? This fan is sitting in section D, row, 5, seat G, come on down!"

http://www.mahopa.de/bilder/lustige-forenbilder/you-not-funny.jpg