PDA

View Full Version : Boy-oh-boy.....

JMarkJohns
11-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Has Yao stunk things up the past two nights... :roll:

Vs. Utah's Memhet Okur:
26 min - 9 points, 4 boards, 3 blocks, 1 assist, 2 TO's...

Vs. Denver's Camby/Nene:
28 min - 8 points, 6 rebounds, 0 blocks, 4 assists, 4 TO's...

Not surprisingly, Houston has lost both games...Someone needs to reminf Yao that he's taller than 99% of the League, bigger than 98% of the League, more Skilled than 90% of the Bigs and a soon-to-be 3-time All-Star...

He needs to grow a GD spine...

Staf4Wooden
11-28-2004, 12:32 AM
It's not that he stunk it up, but it's that he didn't get enough shots. In the first game, T-Mac had one assist. In the second game, Jim Jackson was 5-18, 2-9 from 3.

JMarkJohns
11-28-2004, 12:46 AM
I agree he's not getting enough shots...but maybe it's he's not taking enough...

He needs to be agressive. Shoot the ball, post up, whatever...point is this. When he get the ball, he needs to take it to the hoop. He needs to board like a 7-footer and play some defense and block shots...

Vs. Utah: 4-11 from the field, 1-2 from the line...against a soft defender in Okur.
Vs. Denver: 4-9 from the field, 0-0 from the line...against a skinny defender (Camby) and a raw defender (Nene)...

Two games, two free throw attempts says it all. He just isn't aggressive enough with the ball in his hands.

And a center 7-6 and as big and skilled as Yao should never grab fewer than 10 rebounds in a game...specially when he's flanked by such lousy rebounders at the PF position.

PointGuardU03
11-28-2004, 12:57 AM
I actually think his lack of a good PF hurts his rebounding more then it helps it. Whej I've seen Houston play this year (which has only been twice, both times were very brief i.e. not full games) The opposing teams PF get a lot of O-boards. Also Jim Jackson, McGrady, and even Ward rebound exceptionally well for guards. Combine that with the fact that teams try to draw Yao away from the basket to negate his shot blocking ability and thus you have his low rebound numbers.

JMarkJohns
11-28-2004, 01:03 AM
I'm not buying it...Houston is one of the worst rebounding teams in the League. Yao is a large part of the problem...

He needs to attack the offensive glass better if nothing else. He should be able to grab any rebound he wants with his box-out skills and his size...problem is, he doesn't want to grab many, just whichever ones are easily attainable...

I'd give stats but I'm at work and am close to deadline...the College football games have just started to come in and I have to get them on my pages...I'll carry on later, if any deems this thread worthy of prolonged talk...

JMarkJohns
11-28-2004, 02:48 AM
And I've got the dirt.

Houston ranks 18th in FG%...
Houston ranks 4th in opponents FG%...

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=tmcompare&season=2005&seasontype=2

Meaning, Houston should have plenty of opportunities for rebounds given their offensive manglings and their defense.

They don't...

Houston ranks 27th in the League in rebounding...
Houston ranks 13 in defensive boards and dead-last in offensive rebounds...

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=teamstatreb&season=2005&seasontype=2

They rank 4th in defensive FG% yet 13th in defensive rebounding...
They rank 18th in offensive FG% yet are last in offensive rebounding...

They simply do not rebound well and it starts with Yao...
Their entire frontline is soft...

Yao: 7.8 rebounds (5.6 def, 2.2 off)
Howard: 3.4 rebounds (2.0 def, 1.4 off)
Taylor: 5.8 rebounds (4.4 def, 1.4 off)
Deke: 3.9 rebounds (2.2 def, 1.8 off)

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teamstats?team=hou&sort=totreb&avg=pg&order=true&season=2&seasonYear=2005&split=0

That's simply horrible...maybe even an "All-time" type bad...

Embrodak
11-28-2004, 05:47 PM
what houston needs is a jahidi white type player at the 4. have him stick his rear end out and clear out some space and that'll add 3 boards a game to yao's averages. plus add what jahidi himself pulls down.

JMarkJohns
11-28-2004, 08:35 PM
It's funny you should mention White, for it's my contestment that White is quite possibly the best box-out in the League. He's got the skills and the size needed and certainly made Amare Stoudemire a better rebounder when he played in Phoenix...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for him, but don't know who. Charlotte wants his expiring contract so they can clear CAP space for this upcoming offseason. Houston can do a package deal of expiring contracts, but would have to give up four players in order to match White's 6 million contract.

The best deal would be to package Clarence Weatherspoon (5.9), 3 million cash and two future 1sts for White...

Houston does it to get a good rebounder this year, but adds another expiring contract to its CAP, giving them about 11 million in CAP relief.

Charlotte does this for the picks. The 3 million cash helps pay for Weatherspoon's 6 million contract next year...

Ziggiles
11-29-2004, 01:43 AM
The best deal would be to package Clarence Weatherspoon (5.9), 3 million cash and two future 1sts for White...

Houston does it to get a good rebounder this year, but adds another expiring contract to its CAP, giving them about 11 million in CAP relief.

Charlotte does this for the picks. The 3 million cash helps pay for Weatherspoon's 6 million contract next year...

Houston never does that deal, as two first round picks are far to much to give up for Jahadi White. Maybe a second round and conditional 1st round based on certain statistical numbers avg/rebound and mins played, etc. But 1st round is way to much give up!

JMarkJohns
11-29-2004, 01:54 AM
They'd be dumping salary and with the improved defense and rebounding, the picks could be back of the first anyway...

I actually think the trade is better for Houston as it clears CAP...face it, no team is going to win a title with three PF making over 6 million a year...Charlotte, while they get the picks, add CAP space, not something normally good for an expansion franchise and the picks are likely to be late-round...

All in all, I don't think the trade would happen, I was simply exploring various scenerios and this was the "best" of the bunch...

They never should have traded Cato...That was a stupid, STUPID move as he was the perfect complamentary player for Yao...BIG, STRONG, PHYSICAL...kinda like White ;)

Ziggiles
11-29-2004, 02:27 AM
They'd be dumping salary and with the improved defense and rebounding, the picks could be back of the first anyway...

I actually think the trade is better for Houston as it clears CAP...face it, no team is going to win a title with three PF making over 6 million a year...Charlotte, while they get the picks, add CAP space, not something normally good for an expansion franchise and the picks are likely to be late-round...

All in all, I don't think the trade would happen, I was simply exploring various scenerios and this was the "best" of the bunch...

They never should have traded Cato...That was a stupid, STUPID move as he was the perfect complamentary player for Yao...BIG, STRONG, PHYSICAL...kinda like White ;)

Cato was a huge player for them, Orlando knew it, and grabbed him as a great pick up to help out the undersized frontline in Orlando. Someone such as Danny Fortson is that same mold as White, but since they are winning in up in washington i do not seem being moved, the problem with all the big players for Houston are that none of them go down low and bang they all want to take jump shots, and with McGrady & J. Jackson they already have to much of that.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JMarkJohns again.

JMarkJohns
11-29-2004, 03:09 AM
Fortson would be a solid choice, but his contract is as bad as any of the others (5.8, 6.4, 7 mill over 3)...and he's a little smaller and not quite the athlete...

A trade for Kevin Willis might not be a bad idea...he's older than Mutombo, but not near as aged...he's still got the skills to average 7-7-1 in 15-20 minutes of play...but this isn't the answer...

A trade for Antonio Davis would work great...Salary is the only problem. Chicago woulnd't mind getting rid of Davis 25 million over the next two years. A package of Juwan Howard, Weatherspoon and two future first could work...

Chicago would be taking on a bit more salary, but gets a frontcourt scorer in Howard, someone who averaged 17-8 last year in the East and get two picks for their trouble.

Houston gets its bruiser. Davis alonside Yao would be great defensively and a very good rebounding team. Taylor could come in and provide an offensive spark off the bench...

This trade is just as unlikely to happen, given the salary involved, but it would be worth it for both teams involved...