PDA

View Full Version : The Kobe Rules?

Ben Hansen
12-09-2004, 02:37 PM
I love how Kobe is trying so hard to be Michael Jordan that he's actually pulling an MJ by making personnel decisions now. Jordan was famous for making calls on certain guys coming or going with the Bulls beginning right around 1990.

I read "The Jordan Rules" by Sam Smith and all I can say is I'm guessing Kobe did, too. He's trying very hard to "Be Like Mike" right now and he's coming off as a dick instead of a Earn-My-Respect teammate.

That said, I give Kobe all kinds of credit for his play this year and for continuing to share the ball, hit the glass and play great defense. But he seems so caught up in besting MJ in his career that he comes off as more arrogant and power-trippy than anything else.

He's in a very tough place. If he can't win on his own he'll never be up there with MJ. Shaq was way better as a cohort than Pippen was for Jordan so MJ is vastly superior in that regard still.

Caron Butler has to step up and become a solid No. 2 at all times for the Lakers now.

JMarkJohns
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Even as recently as yesterday, Kobe was refuring to the Lakers team as himself.

Example: Shoulda said, "They are here playing hard" or "...playing hard for the team"

Instead, "They are giving me 110%" and "they are playing hard for me"

Dude Kobe, get over yerself...I said this on another board, but it bares repeating...

Kobe's great, but certainly not greater than the game. Someone needs to remind him of that before he ruins both his career and the careers of those unfortunate enough to be his teammates. There are many ways a player can be selfish, Kobe excels in all of them.

PointGuardU03
12-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Kobe tries his hardest to be like Mike, it's sad really. The Lake Show tanked it down the stretch last night, and they can expect more night like that one too. I think this team completely falls apart after x-mas day when Shaq and D-Wade stomp the Lakers by 20, from then on Kobe will chuck up at least 35+ shots per game.

JMarkJohns
12-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Kobe is actually trying his hardest to prove his naysayer wrong by cutting down on his shots, down from 24 last year to 20 this, and forcing the issue with his passing and creating for his teammates.

Last night, 11 assist...great, 8 turnovers...not so great.

Like I said above, there are many ways a player can be selfish. It's time people realize that a stat's a stat, whether it's a shot or a pass, or better yet, a forced shot or forced pass...He's too busy trying his darnedest to appear unselfish, that he doesn't realize how selfish he is for his effort. Just let Odom and Butler create once in a while. Give the ball to Odom in the post. Let Mihm and Vlade generate some offense.

I've seen six Lakers game thus far this year and would bet that Kobe has the ball in his hands roughly 70% of the time on offense...that's simply, TOO MUCH...

HiCat
12-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Kobe will never be MJ, he blew that last year with his other court game. What he can be is himself. It's possible that he could win another ring, but not this year. The Lakers need another player like Jason Kidd or Yao to take the Western Conference. Just thoughts..