PDA

View Full Version : All I've got to say on the subject...

JMarkJohns
12-24-2004, 02:22 PM
From Insidehoops.com

"You can't stop the Suns. You can't even hope to contain them. Just lose to them and be happy that you got to see how basketball is meant to be played."

The Suns have won 19-of-20 and are an NBA best 23-3, the best start since the Un-Beat-a-Bulls of 95-96...

Staf4Wooden
12-24-2004, 02:53 PM
I can't wait for my early Christmas gift....Suns/Heat on Jan. 11. What if they were both on 20 game win streaks at that point?!?! I could care less actually. It will be my first time seeing Shaq/Wade in person!

JMarkJohns
12-24-2004, 02:54 PM
That'll be a heck of a game.

I wope both teams to be at full health.

Shaq vs. Amare, always great...

Staf4Wooden
12-24-2004, 03:11 PM
The Suns have won 19-of-20 and are an NBA best 23-3, the best start since the Un-Beat-a-Bulls of 95-96...
...and the Suns three losses were all in very tight games. Is it too early to start talking about 72-10? After all, if the Suns are blowing out most teams AND finding a way to win the close ones...

JMarkJohns
12-24-2004, 03:16 PM
The Bulls third loss didn't come until the Bulls had 41 wins tallied.

The Suns are very, very good. Maybe even great, but they aren't that great. Not yet, anyways. I still have me reservations about this small-ball, but the Spurs look vulnerable as does Minny and Sacramento. Seattle is legit and so is Miami...we'll have to see, but this season is wide-open. Everyone said, "wait till December, they haven't played anyone yet. Sure they lost to Minnesota, but they've beatin every other team.

I'll withhold my overall view of this team and their capabilites until after they play San Antonio twice, Minnesota twice, Sacramento twice, Seattle twice, Miami twice and Detroit twice...but right now they look damn good.

Staf4Wooden
12-24-2004, 03:24 PM
The crazy thing is that it isn't just small-ball. It's also no-bench ball. I know those guys are young, but it seems like there has to be a drop off at some point. That might not happen until the playoffs.

Staf4Wooden
12-24-2004, 03:28 PM
It almost seems like regardless of what happens in the regular season, the Spurs have to be the favorite to win it all come playoff time.

JMarkJohns
12-24-2004, 03:31 PM
The crazy thing is that it isn't just small-ball. It's also no-bench ball. I know those guys are young, but it seems like there has to be a drop off at some point. That might not happen until the playoffs.

I actually take exception to the "No Bench" claim.

There is not another team in the League that has five starters averaging 15 ppg...The Suns do.

There isn't another team in the League that has two of last season top-10 three-point shooters coming off the bench...the Suns do (Jacobson, Barbosa).

There isn't another team that has the potential of 4 blocks coming off the bench...the Suns do (Hunter 2.5, Outlaw 1, Voskuhl 1).

There isn't another team that has the versatilty the Suns have.

So despite the lack of "scorers" off the bench, the bench has its strengths. Defense, Hustle and Shooting.

The Suns can plug anyone off the bench into the lineup and not miss a beat...

I know what yer saying, but Casey and Barbosa can both score 10-points, no prollem. Hunter can go off for 8-6-3 at the drop of a hat and Outlaw and Voskuhl can change the game with their hustle and defense. The Suns bench ain't typical, bt very effective.

JMarkJohns
12-24-2004, 03:36 PM
It almost seems like regardless of what happens in the regular season, the Spurs have to be the favorite to win it all come playoff time.

This I agree with 100%...no questions asked. They are the only team in the west that has it's main pieces from a title winner still in place.

Minny and Sacramento have there pieces, but San Antonio is my pick and most others...

I still say, come playoffs...

TOP TIER
San Antonio
Minnesota

MIDDLE TIER
Phoenix
Seattle
Sacramento
Dallas

Staf4Wooden
12-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Solid points. I wasn't really saying no-bench, because their bench isn't effective. I was saying no-bench, because they prolly play less minutes than any other bench in the league. Since the Suns are a run-n-gun team, those starters are even more likely to get tired over the course of the year. There will come a point in the regular season where at least two of the bench players will have to start playing significantly more minutes. I am guessing the Suns are trying to figure out who those players are as we speak, so the starters won't be as burnt out for the playoffs.

JMarkJohns
12-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Nash is already gettin' his minutes reduced as is Marion.

JJ plays more because of his versatility, same with Amare.

CJ plays about 15-per, Barbosa about 12-per and Hunter about 15-per...It's not great, but they fill the role.

By playoff time, CJ will prolly average 18, Barbosa 18 and Hunter 20...

Staf4Wooden
12-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Nash is already gettin' his minutes reduced as is Marion.

JJ plays more because of his versatility, same with Amare.

CJ plays about 15-per, Barbosa about 12-per and Hunter about 15-per...It's not great, but they fill the role.

By playoff time, CJ will prolly average 18, Barbosa 18 and Hunter 20...
Sounds good to me. While those bench player playoff estimates don't seem like a huge difference from the regular season, the starters sure will be thanking them....if they continue their solid play with the added playing time. Since you are Mr. NBA, are there some bench players in the NBA who have a reputation for poor production with significantly increased playing time?

Staf4Wooden
12-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Or similarly, are there some bench players who suck when added to the starting lineup?

JMarkJohns
12-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Rodney White is a player who never quite did anything special despite his increase in minutes. I think you could prolly play Jake Voshuhl or Mark Madsen as many minutes as you wanted and they would still foul out after grabbing 4-5 rebounds and 12-15 minutes.

Tim Thomas has been a 6th-man and underacheiver as a starter...

PointGuardU03
12-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Jacebson will get big minutes, maybe even so big minutes to close out games, because he wants the ball at crunch time! (God I hope someone caught that obscure as all hell reference...)

catgrad97
12-24-2004, 06:09 PM
So, without starting another thread here, does anyone think it would be worth it for the Suns to go out and get another big man like Karl for added beef off the bench come playoff time?

The Suns aren't fixing what isn't broken, and I understand Sarver's position. With Malone, though, I think Phoenix moves to JMark's Top Tier in the playoffs.

JMarkJohns
12-24-2004, 06:38 PM
I think if Phoenix would play Hunter a mimimum of 20-per and Lampe a minimum of 10-per, then they could sneak into the top-tier.

I hate Karl Malone and would rather go on without him, but if he WANTED to become a Sun, than I'd sign on...

The Suns aren't changing anything. They said so much in the paper this morning. If the trade involves any of the "Big 6" (Starters and Hunter) they won't do it.

If the Suns could trade scrubs (Zarko, Vroman), decents (Voskuhl, Jacobson) or potentials (Lampe, Chi-lotto, Rights to Milos) for a Nene or Dalembert, they'd be all over it. But that's inlikely, so they will prolly just wait this season out and draft Bogut of Utah come June...

This season is a wonderful surprise, but Next would be the year I figure the Suns to take off.

They are very, very close to the top-tier, so anything can happen.