PDA

View Full Version : Just for you, F-Duke...

JMarkJohns
12-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Rockets Acquire David Wesley from Hornets
Houston Sends Jim Jackson and Bostjan Nachbar to New Orleans

The Houston Rockets have acquired veteran guard David Wesley from the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for forwards Jim Jackson and Bostjan Nachbar, Rockets General Manager Carroll Dawson announced today. Wesley joins the Rockets with career averages of 13.3 points, 4.8 assists and 1.46 steals in 789 NBA games.

“The addition of David solidifies our backcourt,” said Dawson. “David can play both guard positions and has proven himself as a consistent and effective scorer with very good ball-handling skills. It is never easy parting with players such as Bostjan and Jimmy but in this league you have to give up quality players in order to get quality players.”

Wesley averaged 13.9 points (133-342) and 4.2 assists while starting in all 26 games for the Hornets this season. Wesley led the Hornets in points (361), assists (109), steals (35) and 3-PT shots made (28). His season highlights include a 23-point performance at Charlotte on Dec. 14th and a 10-assist night at Milwaukee on Nov. 13th.

Wesley began his NBA career by signing with the New Jersey Nets for the 1993-94 season as an undrafted free agent out of Baylor. The following season, he signed with the Boston Celtics as an unrestricted free agent where he played for three seasons (1994-97) before signing as a free agent with the Hornets. Wesley played the past 8-plus years for the Hornets and leaves as the organization’s all-time leader in games started (517) and ranks second behind Dell Curry in total career points (7,670) and 3-Point FGs made (644).

Jackson was averaging 13.3 points, 3.4 assists and 4.8 rebounds per game in 24 starts for the Rockets this season. Nachbar averaged 3.1 points, .6 assists and 1.5 rebounds while seeing action in 16 games, including two starts.

LINK: http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_Acquire_David_Wesley_f-126878-34.html
__________________________________________________ _____________

Honestly, I don't know why this trade went down. Now Houston has absolutely NO depth and traded it's best perimeter defender and one of it's better rebounders...

If they are attempting to move Wesley to the PG spot, they will be in for a surprise, as New Orleans has tried this and failed miserably. He gets assists, but is not a PG. I really don't know about the deal. Maybe if they'd have included Taylor and gotten PJ Brown, then I'd approve...but as is, I'll have to give it a big ol' thumbs down...

F Duke
12-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I agree completely. I have no idea why this is going down. Jim Jackson was the heart and soul of this team. Why they thought he was expendable is beyond me.

JMarkJohns
12-27-2004, 10:49 PM
The trade gets even worse when ya factor in the Rockets will be paying 3 million more for the trade. Wesley makes 9.5 million over two, while Jackson earns 5.2 over two and Nachbar earns 1.5 in his final year...thats 6.7 for 9.5...I just don't get the trade at all.

PointGuardU03
12-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Good move by the rockets, trade your 3rd best player and best perimeter defender for crap. I like Wesley, but he's only as good as the pg he plays next to. Maybe McGrady can help him do his thing, b/c the trio of Ward-Sura-Lue certiannly will not.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2004, 02:00 AM
...the rockets already traded Lue...fer Jon Barry...

The old, just keep gettin' older...

PointGuardU03
12-28-2004, 02:02 AM
...the rockets already traded Lue...fer Jon Barry...
That's actually not a bad trade, the Jackson trade on the other hand: terrible.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Jon Barry is little more than a name now...his percentages are mediocre at best. At least Lue was a good defender...now they have Barry, Wesley and Ward with narry a defender twixt the three of them...

F Duke
12-28-2004, 02:10 AM
Jackson's shooting has been down this year compared to last and Wesley is one of the better shooters in the league. I assume Van Gundy is trying surround Yao and McGrady with pure shooters who can hit the open shot when those two get double teamed which is nearly every time they touch the ball. But Jackson plays tough defense and I don't see Wesley giving them that kind of spark. However, this move lets McGrady move over to the 3 where he is more comfortable. I hope they have something else in the works because this trade makes no sense to me as is right now. They desperately need a 4. Howard and Mo Taylor are absolute garbage.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2004, 02:14 AM
They should tried to package Taylor for Brown...That's the type ya need. A workhorse, hardnosed...rebounding/defending PF...