PDA

View Full Version : Niggets fire Bzdelik

PointGuardU03
12-28-2004, 06:50 PM
The Nuggets fired their coach Jeff Bzdelik today after the team started 13-15 and have now lost 6 straight. I don't lnpw to do links or any of that fancy stuff, but it is now on the espn.com front page. I never thought Bzdelik was a good coach, but after taking the team to the playoffs he should have at least been extended or fired in the off -season so he didn't have to be a lame duck going into this year. Michael Cooper has been hired as an interm coach, I believe it's the same Michael Cooper who played for the showtime Lakers. Let's hope he has a better coaching career then his fellow Showtime teammates (i.e. Magic and Byron.).

Chicat
12-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Here's the link . . .

Nuggets fire Bzdelik (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1954408)

JMarkJohns
12-28-2004, 07:01 PM
I think it's garbage, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. They overachieved last year because of the coaching, then overpaid for a want (Martin) while failing to address their needs (shooting) and when the team struggles for lack of complete play and chemistry, the coach gets the ax...dumb, just dumb.

Hired to be fired, but it sure don't make things right...

PointGuardU03
12-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks Chi...

budd1e_lee
12-28-2004, 07:28 PM
This team just has tooo many guys that play the same position, thats not the coaches fault, that's all Kiki's fault. I never thought Bzdelik was an amazing coach, but he was decent, and this team's slip-and-slide season is no fault of his, should have at least let him finish out the year.

Ben Hansen
12-28-2004, 07:41 PM
The biggest problem the Nugs have is losing Voshon Lenard for the year back on Opening Night with that Achilles' injury. Carmelo can't shoot, Dre Miller can't shoot, Earl Boykins can't shoot...there's a theme here. He would have made life a lot easier on 'Melo, Kenyon, Nene and Marcus Camby.

Oh well, you have to adapt.

PointGuardU03
12-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Why the nuggets refuse to pull the trigger and trade for Michael Redd is beyond me. Maybe they're afraid 'Melo won't like Redd stealing the limelight from him.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2004, 08:19 PM
The Nuggets won't have the CAP space to resign Redd to a max contract thanks to Kiki's idiocy splurge of 18+ per for Martin and Camby.

They won't own the bird rights since he hasn't been part of their team for three years or since he isn't coming off a rookie-scale contract.

They gave up way too many picks for Martin...they gave both Martin and Camby too much money...once the pattern for success, the Nuggets have quickly become a blueprint of what not to do.

They have three frontcourt players (Martin, Camby, Nene) that essentually play the same position. They have two OK point guards (Miller, Boykens), neither one that can shoot very well. They have only one perimeter talent (Carmelo), but is one that doesn't do much other than score.

By not developing Nene and Tskitishvilli, they have all but wasted two, top-7 picks in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory.

They have very little room for future signings and in coming years will have to determine if they want to sign Nene longterm, thus having three PF's signed to 6year, 8+per deals.

They got rid of their stockpile of picks, only having Orlando's future first for future picks...they traded the Clips and Philly's lotto picks and a future first of their own, thus limiting their trade-flexability.

This team has talent, but it's redundant talent...their a mess and Coop ain't enough to turn things around.

budd1e_lee
12-28-2004, 09:58 PM
I dont know much about the Nuggets organization, but are these moves all Kiki or does ownership get involved there?

JMarkJohns
12-28-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm sure the owner has final say, but it's Kiki's brainchild.

budd1e_lee
12-28-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm sure the owner has final say, but it's Kiki's brainchild.

CAN KIKI!!!

PointGuardU03
12-28-2004, 11:02 PM
The Nuggets won't have the CAP space to resign Redd to a max contract thanks to Kiki's idiocy splurge of 18+ per for Martin and Camby.
Even if they don't have the cap space to re-sign, a 4-6 month rental of Michael Redd, or perhaps a sign and trade would make Denver a top 4 if not hire team in the West imho. It's a lot to give up for just a few months of Redd (assuming thay'd have to give up Nene and Tzvilkidsfhsdhfsdhfkjsdhfsdh), but I think it be worth it.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2004, 11:08 PM
No, no, no...he just should be the one held responsible for this mess.

You do realize Bzdelik won 17 games...COUNT THEM...17 games with Kenny Satterfield and Donnell Harvey as starters...

That team should have just given up, instead they played and played hard. It wasn't Kiki that had the team motivated. It was Bzdelik. He's a fine coach. Give him proper players that KNOW THEIR ROLES and he'll get ya 50 wins and the playoffs.

Give him 3 raw/incomplete power forwards, no shooters and no natural team leader...he'll get ya 13-15 and 10th in the best conference in sports.

JMarkJohns
12-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Ya can't just give away Nene. He's raw and underdeveloped, but has the size, athletisism and talent to be better than Both Camby and Martin. He simply needs to play without fear of being benched for a missed shot or a turnover, because his coach is playing every single game like it could be his last...

Anything less than immediate help and picks in return for Nene would be throwing him away.

budd1e_lee
12-28-2004, 11:14 PM
it appears as tho kiki is getting players like hes trying to make a fantasy team, then its ok to have 4 guys that play the same position, but when they have to be on the floor and work together, its a different story. I absolutely agree that Bzdelik is not to blame, look at last year, I dont think that was a fluke. I believe they had chemistry last year, everyone had a role and they all knew it. This year they all have the same role, and nobody to do the little things and put the ball in the hole from distance, just a poorly constructed team which is completely the fault of the GM.

DCCat
12-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Kiki and Bzdelik have never seen eye-to-eye. Kiki wanted to fire Bzdelik last year, but the Nuggets kept winning so he couldn't do it. But now that the Nuggets are struggling a bit (never mind that Melo is only showing up some of the time and they basically have no NBA-quality 2 guards), Kiki has seen his opportunity to get rid of Jeff. If justice were served, the team would never get behind the new coach, not play as hard for him as they played for Jeff, and the Nuggets season would fizzle away. But we shall see.

JMarkJohns
12-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Kiki and Bzdelik have never seen eye-to-eye. Kiki wanted to fire Bzdelik last year, but the Nuggets kept winning so he couldn't do it. But now that the Nuggets are struggling a bit (never mind that Melo is only showing up some of the time and they basically have no NBA-quality 2 guards), Kiki has seen his opportunity to get rid of Jeff. If justice were served, the team would never get behind the new coach, not play as hard for him as they played for Jeff, and the Nuggets season would fizzle away. But we shall see.

Agreed, but it's unlikely. Once injuries subside and they aquire anykind of NBA-SG, they'll prolly move into the top-8, maybe even top-6...

Their's still plenty of time left, which is why firing Bzdelik now is both the right and wrong timing, depending on yer opinion of Kiki...