PDA

View Full Version : Arenas scores 40

HASSstafa05
01-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Gilbert had a huge game tonight scoring 40 points including 7 in the last 2 minutes to beat the T-wolves.
story (http://aol.nba.com/games/20050108/MINWAS/recap.html)

Taylor
01-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I was there. Gil was AWESOME.

The Wiz were down by 7, I think, with two and a half to go. Gil got fouled. He had 32 points. I turned to my buddy and said "Gil is going to get forty, and win this game. My buddy laughed in my face. Gil missed a FT. My buddy said "39?". "Nope, he's going to get 40."

Arenas scored eight points in the last two and a half minute, and the Wiz won by three.

He flat out decided he didn't want to lose, and took the game over.

It made me forget the Furd game for about five minutes.

DCCat
01-09-2005, 02:55 PM
I watched the game on TV, and Taylor is right, Gil put the team on his back offensively to lead the Wizards to victory. But that wouldn't have mattered if the Wiz defense didn't start getting some stops at the end of the game. The Wiz simply couldn't stop Minnesota throughout the game. Mostly the Wolves would give the ball to Garnett and let him create, either taking it to the hole himself or orchestrating their motion offense and hitting the open man. The Wiz had no one who could defend Garnett consistently. I don't know what happened in the huddle near the end of the game, but Jordan decided to put Jared Jeffries on Garnett (maybe Jared demanded the assignment) and Jeffries defended him better than anyone else had throughout the game, resulting in the Wolves going scoreless down the stretch. When the game was over, Gil went directly to Jared and gave him a big contratulatory hug in recognition of his contribution to the victory. While Gil deserves the most props for this win, Jared should get his share as well.

Chicat
01-09-2005, 03:16 PM
If Gil isn't an all-star, I will swear off the NBA for the rest of my life. Yep, I feel just that strongly about it. I hate the NBA, but every once in a while I think I might be able to come back into the fold ... then Grant Hill gets voted as a starter in a year where he plays about 3 minutes and I realize once again that the NBA is a star-driven media hog where basketball comes 4th behind Marketing, Merchandise, and Jack Nicholson/Spike Lee. :rolleyes:

JMarkJohns
01-09-2005, 04:10 PM
There's really no reason Arenas shouldn't be an All-star, but it's the East.

Wade, Iverson, Francis are frontrunners because their big-names. I think Arenas has equal numbers to everyone but Wade. It should be interesting. I'd love to see it...