PDA

View Full Version : Question about NBA Basketball

2002Alum
01-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I used to love watching the NBA when I was a kid but haven't done so in a since then. I keep hearing all this talk about the Suns so I decided to watch a few minutes of the game last night. When did they start playing rap music while the Suns were on offense? Do all the NBA teams do this? I was shocked to see this. I'm not a fan of rap/rb music at all and found it quite irritating. Back in the day of good ol basketball, they would just play a back ground tune for the crowd to chant "DEFENSE", but this is ridiculous. The NBA is "thugish" enough with all the new young players and this just makes it ten times worse. Doesn't the NBA want to appeal to all demographics? I can't see an 80 year old guy watching the Suns with the rap music playing in the background. Anyways, just wanted some clariffication as to when they started this and why?

Bison79
01-10-2005, 09:28 AM
I still don't watch NBA, but the 80 year old guy probably doesn't really care about the NBA anymore.

I'd assume they are playing to their demographic which is probably very young now?

2002Alum
01-10-2005, 09:36 AM
I still don't watch NBA, but the 80 year old guy probably doesn't really care about the NBA anymore.

I'd assume they are playing to their demographic which is probably very young now?

What about us white guys that don't like rap music though? Not everyone likes rap music...

JMarkJohns
01-10-2005, 12:43 PM
First off...that's an interesting take...

I would have to say that, Yes...all arenas now play RAP...prolly even hockey. Baseball does it. If not when the players go up to bat, then certainly throughout the game at some points. NFL does it...

Second...I doubt that the NBA is playing gansta rap. They might play some Kanye West or Lil' John...but I seriously doubt that they are dropping anything from from the hardcore genre...

Thirdly...The NBA used to play upbeat techno or '80's garbage, so I'm used to them playing things that I don't really care for.

Lastly...I haven't even noticed it. Maybe it's cause I'm desensitized, but I really don't hear what's going on in the background...in fact, it's my guess that even college basketball plays this stuff...It is what rules the airways right now. It's popular.

I really don't equate all rap with a thuggish label. I could kick the crap out of half the wafe's out there right now. Most only sing about there money and whatnot. I don't particularly like it either, but if ya want to watch the NBA or any professional sport, yer gonna have to put up with it.

The more ya watch, the more you'll get used to it, the more you won't care, the more you won't even notice it's going on...

JMarkJohns
01-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Oh and I seem to remember ALOT of rap in "Office Space"

:wink2:

2002Alum
01-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I can stand the music during breaks in baseball and football, but they do not play music during the game play. College basketball does not play music during game play and the NBA used to not play it during game play either. It reaaly reminded me of the street ball they show on ESPN minus all the ooo's and aaa's by the crowd after each play. My point is there should not be music playing during game play. It's nice to hear the shoes on the floor along with the other sounds of the game. No0t Usher's horrible soung with the annoying sounds..

JMarkJohns
01-10-2005, 01:25 PM
I can agree with that...I tend to hear the sounds of the game, but I might just be better tuned in from all my years of watching.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with ya on RAP music...
I don't really like the genre either.

DCCat
01-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I can stand the music during breaks in baseball and football, but they do not play music during the game play. College basketball does not play music during game play and the NBA used to not play it during game play either. It reaaly reminded me of the street ball they show on ESPN minus all the ooo's and aaa's by the crowd after each play. My point is there should not be music playing during game play. It's nice to hear the shoes on the floor along with the other sounds of the game. No0t Usher's horrible soung with the annoying sounds..
Couldn't agree more. I don't care if it's rap, disco, or Mozart, don't play friggin' music during the game (other than the traditional drumbeats or other rhythmic stuff designed to get fans clapping -- i.e., something that is at least focused on the game).

Alas, the NBA is so insecure about the quality of its product (and not entirely without justification) that they think they have to provide entertainment within the entertainment to keep their attention-challenged "fans" from walking out and never coming back. I'd rather they focused on measures to improve the quality of the product on the floor.

Like, for example, requiring that all teams play like the Suns. (Obligatory pandering to JMark here :)

BlueMikey
01-10-2005, 02:03 PM
I remember when they did that game in McKale where they brought back all the great Lute Olson era 'Cats last year (?), after a few sequences they started playing that beat during the game, and it really took the fans out of the game. People stopped cheering and clapping, the music was just too loud for anything to be effective.

JMarkJohns
01-10-2005, 02:26 PM
...I'd rather they focused on measures to improve the quality of the product on the floor.

Like, for example, requiring that all teams play like the Suns. (Obligatory pandering to JMark here :)

Despite the obvious pandering asisde...unfortunately:

You must spread some rep around before giving it to DCCat again...
:rolleyes:

Ahh, the Suns. Putting up 105 points in a bad game...and 120 in a good one.

HiCat
01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Ah a gripe session almost.. Yeah and cut that organ music off too. Can't stand that during the games. Never understood why they do that.. maybe they think it's like a movie theater.