PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals active

Jason Scheer
03-03-2005, 02:14 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/03/02/starks.patriots/index.html

Makes you wonder if they are now looking to draft Pac Man Jones out of West VA

JMarkJohns
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't know what to make of this, except it clears money for more free agents.

I have heard nothing on the Shelton/Henry trade for days either...

It would be interesting, if not for me being in the dark on so much.

Class of 1990
03-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Arizona first of three stops for free agent quarterback Kurt Warner (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cardinals-warner&prov=ap&type=lgns)

"Warner, who lost his starting job with the New York Giants last season to rookie Eli Manning, also plans to visit the Chicago Bears on Friday and the Detroit Lions on Sunday. He expects to sign with one of those three teams.

The Cardinals are looking for a veteran quarterback to compete with Josh McCown for the starting job. Jeff Garcia and Brad Johnson also have been mentioned as possibilities."

Give McCown the job. Bring in a Brad Johnson for a back up. Let Josh go the whole season, like Drew Brees then assess what you have.

JMarkJohns
03-04-2005, 03:49 AM
I agree...they don't need a starter...

either trade for or draft a runningback, rebuild the offensive line and add some secondary help.

Then, defensive line, tight end and then finally Quarterback.

This is why they are the Cardinals.

Banana Fish
03-04-2005, 07:06 AM
if not for the name, i wonder where pac-man jones would be drafted. he has terrell buckley written all over him. not that it is bad, but i just don't believe that he should be a high first rounder like many are projecting.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2005, 05:30 AM
YAY!!! Warner!!! YAAAAAYYYY!!! :rolleyes:

Jason Scheer
03-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey he was a winner....no nevermind. I hope Green is planning on having a monster offensive line for an immobile quarterback. Get the damn deal for Henry done, trade your draft pick for Surtain and you got something going. The reason I say trade the pick is because there really arent many awesome players in this years draft. Good yes, mindblowing no though I do thinbk Derrick Johnson is a beast

JMarkJohns
03-08-2005, 04:13 AM
Okeafor, anyone? I think it's a solid pick up, though I have no idea the terms yet, so I withhold my final decision til after it's finalized.

I don't think the Cardinals should take a CB so high, but rather build a defensive core of quick pass-rushers (Berry, Okeafor, need one more, perferably BIG), sideline to sideline linebackers (Dansby, need one more) and then hard-hitting safety's (Wilson, need one more)...

Corners just aren't as important with the new rules.

If you can get to the quarterback on pass-rushes, then your corners will become better, being that the QB is under pressure.

If the Cardinals can trade for Henry and then draft a linebacker or DT in the first round, maybe trade their second and their third for a late first rounder and draft a safety or corner, then rebuild their offensive line with the Patriots pick and their fourth rounder and address one good corner/linebacker/DT in free agency, then this team will be set.

I wouldn't mind seeing

Trade: for Henry

Sign: either DE/DT Marques Douglas or CG Andre Dyson

Then, according to the signing
Draft: either a LB or DT in the first, a S/CB or LB in the second, a OT/OG or CB and then a S or OT/OG in the third, an offensive player, either receiver or runningback in the fourth, then nothing but DT/CB's and OL in the latter rounds.

JMarkJohns
03-08-2005, 02:52 PM
According to INsider, the Henry/LJ Shelton deal is dead. The Cardinals wanted Henry to play out his current contract, Henry wanted a significant bump via an extension, both decided no deal...

They said Shelton was likely to be traded to the Bears, but didn't know what for. My guess is a 2nd-rounder or a 3rd rounder/late rounder.

Which means running back in the draft and maybe a CB and either a LB or DT still in free agency.

JMarkJohns
03-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Cardinals signed safety Robert Griffith to a two-year deal...

Formerly of the Browns, Griffith is coming off a career year in Cleveland, recording 157 tackles (93 solo), 8 tackles for loss, 6 pass break-ups, 1 interceptions and 1 sack.

Not bad, especially for cheap...

This is breaking news, being I'm at work and it was just faxed to our sports dept...so it might take a while for confermation.

Jason Scheer
03-09-2005, 12:17 AM
They are doing very nice things..he def is a pretty serviceable player

JMarkJohns
03-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Cardinals appear to be slowing down, according to AZcentral.

They have used somewhere close to 15 mill of their CAP and need to save some space for draft picks.

I figure them to draft in the first if available, either RB's Brown or Benson and if not, then go defense, either LB or DT...

Then in the second a RB if not picked in the first or if, then a CB or safety.

Then in the third, the best CB or safety's available.

I would go...

1st: LB
2nd: RB
3rd: CB and S
4th: CB or S
5th: OL or DL

catgrad97
03-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I agree...they don't need a starter...

either trade for or draft a runningback, rebuild the offensive line and add some secondary help.

Then, defensive line, tight end and then finally Quarterback.

This is why they are the Cardinals.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JMarkJohns again."

This is EXACTLY right. Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith in their primes would have been swallowed up behind some of the sorry OLs the Cardinals have fielded in the last decade.

Instead, though, Michael Bidwill keeps fishing for new quarterbacks. The optimistic pronouncements of the new crop of free agents on contract to Dennis Green are really starting to sound tired and cliched.

JMarkJohns
03-13-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm wondering...

If all the runningbacks are gone by the time the Cardinals pick, if they would be willing to trade for Edgarrin James?

In an INsider report, Arizona is listed both as a place of interest for James and as a team who's contacted the Colts about James.

Indianapolis says they don't want much, not even a 1st-rounder necessarily.

If the Cardinals could trade their 2nd and 3rd-rounders for him or maybe their first for James and and a third or fourth rounder, then I think they would be incredably foolish not to.

Wow that would be a stacked offense.

MinorThreat22
03-15-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm wondering...

If all the runningbacks are gone by the time the Cardinals pick, if they would be willing to trade for Edgarrin James?

In an INsider report, Arizona is listed both as a place of interest for James and as a team who's contacted the Colts about James.

Indianapolis says they don't want much, not even a 1st-rounder necessarily.

If the Cardinals could trade their 2nd and 3rd-rounders for him or maybe their first for James and and a third or fourth rounder, then I think they would be incredably foolish not to.

Wow that would be a stacked offense.

James already has a questionable work ethic, and an unquestioned lack of motivation when it comes to anything other than money. The only thing that will make him happy is a long term deal (likely his last), but unfortunately once you give it to him he'll only be a 9 to 5'er. I don't think Shaun Alexander's competitve drive is all that much higher than Edge's, but given the choice between the 2, Alexander would be the clear favorite.

JMarkJohns
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Cardinals sign MLB Orlando Huff (Seattle).

Fills a need, but not sure on this players quality.