PDA

View Full Version : Will Kurt Warner succeed with the Cardinals?

Footballjunkie
03-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Same old Cardinals, paying money for an over the hill star, Kurt Warner, to put some fans in the stands but never attracting and keeping solid players who want to stay.

Josh McCown is "ok" but he is not the answer and Dennis Green knows it. Hopefully, Kurt Warner is a temporary fix but it reminds me of the Emmit Smith signing all over again.

catgrad97
03-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I think Warner still has some years left in him, junkie. Of course, they may be with the Arizona RATTLERS, but still...:wink2:

Jason Scheer
03-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Define success

Footballjunkie
03-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Define successSleeping with your avatar!

Jason Scheer
03-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Haha..but really..how would you define success for Warner as a Cardinal

Footballjunkie
03-07-2005, 11:47 PM
IMO success for Kurt Warner as a Cardinal would be winning a game or two in the playoffs.

Someone remind me when was the last time the Cardinals won a playoff game since they have been in Arizona?

Jason Scheer
03-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Two games? No. One game I think is very possible only because that division is weak. It is hard to say just yet, especially with the draft and such but I do think it is possible they make the playoffs with him at qb

budd1e_lee
03-07-2005, 11:51 PM
IMO success for Kurt Warner as a Cardinal would be winning a game or two in the playoffs.

Someone remind me when was the last time the Cardinals won a playoff game since they have been in Arizona?

Well since they've only been in the playoffs once in AZ, I would go with never.

Class of 1990
03-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Same old Cardinals, paying money for an over the hill star, Kurt Warner, to put some fans in the stands but never attracting and keeping solid players who want to stay.

Josh McCown is "ok" but he is not the answer and Dennis Green knows it. Hopefully, Kurt Warner is a temporary fix but it reminds me of the Emmit Smith signing all over again.

Dennis Green knows it ? He is a moron who make a season changing move by starting Shaun King in the Carolina game and let them lose 3 in a row.

McCown could have a Drew Brees type of awakening if given the chance. He has weapons in the receivers and with Henry as a back. Warner is slow and holds the ball too long. Heck the Cards sacked him what 6 times last season and won 17-14 over the Giants.

Hopefully Green's ego will let McCown have a chance to compete for the job this summer.

catgrad97
03-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Well since they've only been in the playoffs once in AZ, I would go with never.

Except for 1998, when the Cardinals won in Dallas 20-7.

JMarkJohns
03-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Except for 1998, when the Cardinas won in Dallas 20-7.

I nearly died when they beat the Cowboys, when the Cowboys were still relevant. Singlehandedly, one of the most surprising outcomes in the history of football, if not sports.

As for the question...McCown is a very good prospect and with a running back and an offensive line that can give him time to throw down-field, he'd be in the upper-half of the NFC within a year or two's time.

He was 6-7 for goodness sake with two of the losses coming because his defense couldn't hold off the damn 49ers.

That's realistically, 8-5...tell me why an 8-5 quarterback is being replaced when the talent around him was either old, injured or inconsistant?

Idiots, I tell ya and the Cardinals will be worse off for the signing of Warner. They guy is McCown, without the toughness and youth. With him as quarterback, the Cardinals can only hope to compete, rather than eventually contend.

2002Alum
03-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I think Warner will do better than anyone else has done at qb for the Cards in a long time, assuming he stays healthy. He actually didn't play THAT bad last year before being pulled for Eli. Denny dislikes McCown for some reason and isn't the answer for the Cards either.

TheOriginalAZ
03-08-2005, 12:24 PM
This reminds me of the Boomer, Krieg, Beurlein, McMahon, Schroeder, etc signings in the 90s.

WallyNoche
03-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I think Warner will be a solid back-up for the balance of his career...

Footballjunkie
03-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Denny dislikes McCown for some reason and isn't the answer for the Cards either. I think you nailed it, 2002Alum.

McCown did something or something happened inside the locker room that no one is talking about. That is why Green tried out King and Navarre before going back to McCown. Now there is another high profile QB in the mix? Whatever happened it must have been pretty bad. I think Green would have stuck with Navarre had he not injured his hand.

My guesses would be drugs, steroids, or a Jeff George type attitude problem.

JMarkJohns
03-08-2005, 02:16 PM
My guess is he challenged Green's authority and maybe play-calling.

2002Alum
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=Footballjunkie]I think you nailed it, 2002Alum.

McCown did something or something happened inside the locker room that no one is talking about. That is why Green tried out King and Navarre before going back to McCown.

Yeah, you know something had to have gone down if he tried to bring in King. King is THE worst qb besides Ryan Leaf that has ever played in the NFL. At least this time they got someone who has proven he can get it done in the NFL. Even if he is 100 years old and his wife has shorter hair then most of us guys on the board. :cool:

Footballjunkie
03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Warner said on NFL Total Access last night that he was brought in to give "Leadership" and "to point the team in a positive direction". If you read between the lines, it looks like the job is his to lose.

IMO, McCown must have pulled a Quincy Carter for Green to react the way he did last season by trying other QB's and then reaching out to Warner in the off season.

Lets face it, Green delt with Jeff George, Cris Carters Ego, Randy Moss, and Andre Ware's antics in the past.

Class of 1990
03-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm glad you wrote IMO Footballjunkie about McCown.

Ask a Viking fan ? They may say Green is a clown.

Green killed last year with King. If there was something like trouble with McCown wouldn't they cut him like they released the lineman,who went to the Jets and made the playoffs, for complaing to the union about practices ?

To me with the money the Bidwells are spending this week Green is on the HOT seat IMO.

JMarkJohns
03-10-2005, 04:58 AM
Green has always played Quaterback-roullette...My friend from Minny joked that Green quit the Vikes because Daunte was so good, Green couldn't pull him, therefore he couldn't properly game-plan...

He's just a loosey-goosey when it comes to starting QB's...

McCown was on a two-game win-streak when Green went to King.

Seriously, if not for the defense, McCown would be 8-5 on the year.