PDA

View Full Version : GOAZCATS NFL Mock Draft

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
We can try it I guess... Some of you seem to be draft fans like me so I figured we'll give it a try. We wont assign teams as im not sure there is enough people who want to participate, but I figured we'd go 1 round, and if it stays interesting maybe we can continue onto a second and beyond...

I say each person can make 3 picks at a time, I'll start with San Fransisco, Miami(My Team!), and then whoever stumbles across can make the next two selections... For the sake of confusion possibilities I wont allow any trades, even though they do happen in the real deal. Should be fun if we can get some folks to participate, if not it can fade away! Hell even if its just two of us, we'll get it going, haha.

ROUND 1-
1. San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers QB California
2. Miami- Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
3. Cleveland- Alex Smith QB Utah
4. Chicago- Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
5. Tampa Bay- Carnell Williams RB Auburn
6. Tennessee- Mike Williams WR Southern California
7. Minnesota- Cedric Benson RB Texas
8. Arizona- Derrick Johnson LB Texas
9. Washington- Shawne Merriman DE Maryland
10. Detroit- Alex Barron OT Florida State
11. Dallas- Marcus Spears DE Lousiana State
12. San Diego- Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
13. Houston- Antrel Rolle CB Miami-Florida
14. Carolina- Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma
15. Kansas City- Adam Jones CB West Virginia
16. New Orleans- Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
17. Cincinnati- Travis Johnson DT Florida State
18. Minnesota- Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
19. Saint Louis- Thomas Davis S Georgia
20. Dallas- Brodney Pool S Oklahoma
21. Jacksonville- David Pollack DE Georgia
22. Baltimore- Roddy White WR Alabama-Birmingham
23. Seattle- Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
24. Green Bay- Khaliff Barnes OT Washington
25. Denver- Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
26. N.Y. Jets- Heath Miller TE Virginia
27. Atlanta- Shaun Cody DT Southern California
28. San Diego- Dan Cody DE Oklahoma
29. Indianapolis-
30. Pittsburgh-
31. Philadelphia-
32. New England-

Crackem
04-14-2005, 03:03 PM
4. Chicago- Braylon Edwards, WR, Mich.
5. Tampa- Carnell Williams, RB, AU
6. Tennessee- Mike Williams, WR, USC

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm sure Minnesota is spitting fire after the Tennessee selection... :p

I'll go again, and then give the rest of you a chance to go...

8. Arizona- Derrick Johnnson LB Texas

Crackem
04-14-2005, 03:16 PM
I think the Cardinals go cornerback if all 3 (Rolle, Pac Man, and Rogers) are still on the board at 8 like we have them. I don't think they are that high on Ced because Denny likes speed backs. They may see if JJ Arrington in around for their 2nd round pick and if not make the deal for Travis Henry.

Crackem
04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Nobody else seems to be around so I'll put 3 more up

10. Detroit- Alex Barron, OT, Fla St.
11. Dallas- Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
12. San Diego- Troy Williamson, WR, So. Car.

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Houston- Antrel Rolle CB Miami-Florida
Carolina- Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma
Kansas City- Adam Jones CB West Virginia

JMarkJohns
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I love the draft, just have no friggin' clue as to this one...

If one of the top-3 backs is available at #8, I'm quite sure the trade for Henry will go down for Shelton straight up...if not, then I think it will go down for the Henry/2nd round for Shelton/2nd round as proposed...

#8 the Cardinals should either go LB if Johnson is available or DB if not.

I think the Cardinals first two picks need to be a combination of either a LB/DT/DB.

With the 3rd round picks they will need a TE, OL or S

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 04:29 PM
I wanted to draft a lineback for AZ but Derrick Johnson was gone, there is no other prospect at LB to draft with a top ten pick... If Im Denny Green, I go with Benson and keep Shelton... I was also thinking about taking Rolle with the pick but decided the blackhole of nothingness at RB was a bigger need...

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Why dont you make a few selections JMark... It would be good to have you in the mock...

JMarkJohns
04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
OK...

#7 I think their is a good chance that if the two receivers are gone and Benson is available, the Vikings take him and then go WR at #18.

They don't have a great running game and Benson is verstile enough that he can run and catch for 1000 yeards each, especially on turf...

Go Clayton at #18 and a defensive player in the 2nd round.

Clayton and Benson on turf is a sick combination of speed at the key positions. They addressed defense already in the offseason, so I figure offense is their main target in the first round.

With Benson gone, I figure Cardinals take Johnson #8...

I think Roddy White could go to the Cowboys at #20.

Everyone has the Cowboys going defense in the first, but with a young RB, questionable receivers and Bledsoe at QB, they need a deep threat to stretch the field for Keyshaun and Julius Jones. White is the guy...Plus, the Cowboys did a good job addressing defense int he offseason and have several other picks for defensive depth. They really need an impact receiver and if they wait until the 2nd round, they might all be gone.

If the Cowboys pass, Ravens jump all over White at #22.

I think Denver takes JJ Arrington at #25, having addressed defense in the offseason and trading their #1 runner of a year ago. RB or WR...

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I do think that Dallas needs to get DL help and the first pick of Spears is a great one in my opinion. They also need a deep threat as you claim... You guys talked me into, I'm gonna switch the Minnesota and Arizona Selections...

JMark you're still on the clock buddy!!!

JMarkJohns
04-14-2005, 05:11 PM
People are underrating Arrington. All the mocks have him late second...He's first round talent and will explode in the right system...like Denver. Think Portis, who noone had going in the first round either.

Arrington at #25.

Travis Johnson at #17 to Cincinnati...set on offense, need a big body up the middle.
Thomas Davis at #18 to Saint Louis...who always need defensive help.

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Just to recap the last 7 selections...

Ziggiles
04-14-2005, 05:25 PM
No way that Vikings take a running back, they are already loaded at that position including 4 quality players Micheal Bennett, Onterrio Smith, Moe Williams, and Mewedle Moore. They are looking for reciever obviously to fill the loss of Moss.

JMarkJohns
04-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Benson is a better player than all four you mentioned, plus, he one of the best receivers in the draft...he just so happens to be a back.

If Edwards and Williams are gone, they won't reach for one of the others, but take the best available offensive player (Benson) and take Clayton or White at #18 for their receiver.

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 05:40 PM
And they chose Clayton... I think they go LB in Rnd 2 then...

JMarkJohns
04-14-2005, 05:41 PM
I agree...LB in the seond and DB in the 3rd.

Ziggiles
04-14-2005, 05:41 PM
What are they going to do with all those other players? they have way to much salary invested to start dumping all of them as they are already taking a salary cap hit from the moss deal. They need someone for Culpepper to throw to, after Buerlson, wiggins the tight end is there best reciever. There second reciever as of right now is Marcus Robinson and the hope that Travis Taylor can stay on the field. They will select a receiver with that pick if not expect them to go D-Line so they can get some help in the interior to play next to Pat Williams. There biggest need is reciever so why not fill it? If Smith didn't have off the field troubles, and Bennett wouldn't keep getting hurt then there are two potential 1000 yard backs and Moore Averaged almost 6 yards a carry last year and all three can catch.

ZONACAT
04-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Rolle and Pac Man Jones are way to low, Dallas would snag one of them if they were available because DL is extremely deep this year.

Tainted draft already.

Also, Dan Cody is a top 2 DE guys.

Ziggiles
04-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Also Tennesse needs a DB more then they need a WR at 6 considering they cut their entire starting defensive back field.

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Bennett is always hurt... Smith is always in the dog house, Moore is always gonna be a health concern, and Moe Williams is very unspectacular.

If I could I'd trade Bennett and Smith, I think Bennett is tradable, Smith probably not... Id keep Moore, for special teams, and 3rd down situations. Id try to get rid of Moe but if not Id keep him on as third on the chart... Bennett is never healthy.. Smith,Moore, and Williams are never gonna be feature backs... Ced Benson could be, he's a better pass catching threat than any of them except maybe Mewelde Moore.

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Why would Dallas draft Rolle or Pac Man? They need saftey help more then CB help in my opinion. The only pick I dont agree with totally is the Tennessee pick of Williams..

They need a wide out but they need DB help first in my opinion..

Itamicbomb
04-14-2005, 05:47 PM
23. Seattle - Erasmus James, DE Wisconsin
24. Green Bay - Khalif Barnes, OT Washington
25. Denver - Marlin Jackson, CB/FS Michigan

JMarkJohns
04-14-2005, 05:50 PM
What are they going to do with all those other players? they have way to much salary invested to start dumping all of them as they are already taking a salary cap hit from the moss deal.

Trade 'em...cut 'em...but none of them, nor any combination of them equal the talent of Benson, who, in just about any other draft would go top-5.

They need someone for Culpepper to throw to, after Buerlson, wiggins the tight end is there best reciever. There second reciever as of right now is Marcus Robinson and the hope that Travis Taylor can stay on the field...There biggest need is reciever so why not fill it?

Exactly...you're being limited by the players position. Benson is a Marshall Faulk type of back, run/catch versatility and break-away speed.

He can be a receiver out of the backfield and and on screens.

Plus, they would be able to take either WR Clayton or WR White at #18. They fill their void...

If Smith didn't have off the field troubles, and Bennett wouldn't keep getting hurt then there are two potential 1000 yard backs and Moore Averaged almost 6 yards a carry last year and all three can catch.

But that's just it, you can't count on the first two and the other is still just potential.

Benson can run for 1000 yards and receive 1000 or somewhere around that and then Clayton as their primary WR target.

ZONACAT
04-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Why would Dallas draft Rolle or Pac Man? They need saftey help more then CB help in my opinion. The only pick I dont agree with totally is the Tennessee pick of Williams..

They need a wide out but they need DB help first in my opinion..

Rolle is a combo safety and corner, Dallas would take a corner so fast you have no idea.

The reason you dont hear about it much is because everyone knows that they wont be there at 11. Also, Dallas would wait till later rounds to take a Safety because it would be better value, there is no way anyone would take Poole that high.

Ziggiles
04-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Trade 'em...cut 'em...but none of them, nor any combination of them equal the talent of Benson, who, in just about any other draft would go top-5.

Exactly...you're being limited by the players position. Benson is a Marshall Faulk type of back, run/catch versatility and break-away speed.

He can be a receiver out of the backfield and and on screens.

Plus, they would be able to take either WR Clayton or WR White at #18. They fill their void...

But that's just it, you can't count on the first two and the other is still just potential.

Benson can run for 1000 yards and receive 1000 or somewhere around that and then Clayton as their primary WR target.

JMJ you have got be kidding me! Unless you are hearing things that i am not, no one believes benson is a Faulk type back, those comparisons are going to Ronnie Brown if anyone. Benson lacks the break away speed, thus the reason he has dropped below brwon, Benson has good speed in the 2-5 yard area, and decent cut backs. His hands are nice but not great by anymeans. He ran at best 4.55 and some clocked him at 4.65 at the combine; slower then both brown and Williams. You have benson rated to high IMO. Clayton is the most polished reciever but not a featured reciever because he lacks the size and speed that minnesota likes to have out of there wideouts, Troy Williamsons is a more likely pick then clayton since he is faster and 6-2.

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Noone is gonna take Pool that high? He's the best saftey in the draft...

ZONACAT
04-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Noone is gonna take Pool that high? He's the best saftey in the draft...

Yeah, but thats because there isnt a premier safety in this draft. He's a high second round pick and if he does go in the first (which I doubt) it will be the last couple of picks of the first round.

If Dallas takes him at 20, people are going to be pissed. It would not surprise me if the Cowboys move down from that spot.

JMarkJohns
04-14-2005, 06:06 PM
I said type...

Fine, a better version of Westbrooke.

Benson is a very good receiver, one of the better ones in the draft and a fine runner.

Williamson would be a reach at #7 for the Vikings. Clayton may be small, but he's polished and has great potential, especially for a dome/turf team. Size isn't that important for receivers.

You are correct, Ronniw Brown is the best back and most comparable to Faulk, but Benson has very similer skills and ability and if not for Tampa being in love with the down-hill Williams, he would likely be the second back taken.

Vikings need offense and Benson/Clayton fill the need better than just Williamson.

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 06:11 PM

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 06:14 PM
ROUND 1-
29. Indianapolis-
30. Pittsburgh-
31. Philadelphia-
32. New England-

Crackem
04-14-2005, 06:28 PM
I took Mike Williams for Tennessee at #6 for a number of reasons and I do believe that is going to be thier pick. First, Mike Williams is the best player regardless of position on the board when they pick and he just happens to be a position of huge need. Second, the Titans are rumored to make a deal for Andre Dyson to return and adding him with Woolfolk gives them a solid pair of DBs and makes WR the glaring need. Third, I think DB is deep through the first two rounds in this draft. They can draft Williams and get a guy like Washington, Jackson, Miller or Browner at #37- first round value in the second round.

Crackem
04-14-2005, 06:37 PM
29. Indianapolis- DeMarcus Ware, DE, Troy
30. Pittsburgh- Matt Roth, DE, Iowa

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 06:52 PM
ROUND 1-
29. Indianapolis- DeMarcus Ware DE Troy
30. Pittsburgh- Matt Roth DE Iowa
31. Philadelphia- Reggie Brown WR Georgia
32. New England- Channing Crowder LB Florida

Anyone want to finish up the 1st Round?

JMarkJohns
04-14-2005, 07:21 PM
As for justification as to my pick for the Vikings and my high opinion of Benson...

I just found this on ESPN, thanks INsider.

Joel Hageman Billings Montana: Mel With all of the talk of Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams being gone before pick 7 what are the chances the Vikings will trade up to get one of them.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: The Vikings are in a pretty good spot. They can sit where they are and get a big time receiver...or they could take the top RB still available at 7. They could also get Derrick Johnson. If they feel Mike and Braylon are vastly different and there is a big gap between them and Williamson, they would hav to move up to around 3. But we still don't know how those top 3 picks will shake out.

and

Chad St. Louis: Why is Benson's stock dropping so much, where his workouts that bad

SportsNation Mel Kiper: That is an erroneous report wherever that came from. He is still an elite prospect and I still have him as a top 5 prospect. Some still have him as the best back in the draft. Any reports of him dropping are off base.

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Philadelphia Selects- Reggie Brown WR Georgia
New England Selects- Channing Crowder LB Florida

BibbysTowelDude
04-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Round 2-
33. San Francisco-
34. Cleveland-
35. Philadelphia-
36. Tampa Bay-
37. Tennesee-
38. Oakland-
39. Chicago-
40. New Orleans-
41. Detroit-
42. Dallas-
43. N.Y. Giants-
44. Arizona-
45. Carolina-
46. Kansas City-
47. Houston-
48. Cincinnati-
49. Minnesota-
50. Saint Louis-
51. Green Bay-
52. Jacksonville-
53. Baltimore-
54. Seattle-
55. Buffalo-
56. Denver-
57. N.Y. Jets-
58. Green Bay-
59. Atlanta-
60. Indianapolis-
61. San Diego-
62. Pittsburgh-
63. Philadelphia-
64. New England-

Let her rip!!!

Crackem
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
33. San Fran- Elton Brown, OG, Va.
34. Cleveland- Marcus Johnson, OT, Miss.
35. Philly- Fabian Washington, CB, Neb.

wassupcats
04-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Wow.. how did Shaun Cody drop so far?

Jason Scheer
04-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Psst...Tampa gets Alex Smith in a trade with Cleveland who selects Derrick Johnson...Rolle gets picked by Tenn, Williams by the Vikes, Benson by the Cards

BibbysTowelDude
04-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Round 2-
33. San Francisco- Elton Brown OG Virginia
34. Cleveland- Marcus Johnson OT Mississippi
35. Philadelphia- Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
36. Tampa Bay- Josh Bullocks S Nebraska
37. Tennesee- Justin Miller CB Clemson
38. Oakland- Odell Thurman LB Georgia
39. Chicago-
40. New Orleans-
41. Detroit-
42. Dallas-
43. N.Y. Giants-
44. Arizona-
45. Carolina-
46. Kansas City-
47. Houston-
48. Cincinnati-
49. Minnesota-
50. Saint Louis-
51. Green Bay-
52. Jacksonville-
53. Baltimore-
54. Seattle-
55. Buffalo-
56. Denver-
57. N.Y. Jets-
58. Green Bay-
59. Atlanta-
60. Indianapolis-
61. San Diego-
62. Pittsburgh-
63. Philadelphia-
64. New England-

37. Tennesee- Justin Miller CB Clemson (Wow look who fell in Fisher's lap!)

Crackem
04-17-2005, 07:57 PM
39. Chicago- Mike Patterson, DT, USC
40. New Orleans- Brandon Browner, CB, Oregon St.
41. Detroit- Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn

HASSstafa05
04-18-2005, 12:29 AM
i dont think the bears will take a DT in the second round

BibbysTowelDude
04-18-2005, 03:04 AM
42. Dallas- Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
43. N.Y. Giants- Justin Tuck DE Notre Dame
44. Arizona- Corey Webster CB Lousiana State

Round 2-
33. San Francisco- Elton Brown OG Virginia
34. Cleveland- Marcus Johnson OT Mississippi
35. Philadelphia- Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
37. Tennesee- Justin Miller CB Clemson
39. Chicago- Mike Patterson DT Southern California
40. New Orleans- Brandon Browner CB Oregon State
41. Detroit- Jason Campbell QB Auburn
42. Dallas- Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
43. N.Y. Giants- Justin Tuck DE Notre Dame
44. Arizona- Corey Webster CB Lousiana State
45. Carolina-
46. Kansas City-
47. Houston-
48. Cincinnati-
49. Minnesota-
50. Saint Louis-
51. Green Bay-
52. Jacksonville-
53. Baltimore-
54. Seattle-
55. Buffalo-
56. Denver-
57. N.Y. Jets-
58. Green Bay-
59. Atlanta-
60. Indianapolis-
61. San Diego-
62. Pittsburgh-
63. Philadelphia-
64. New England-

Crackem
04-21-2005, 03:57 PM
One of the local radio stations did a mock draft this morning with listners picking for teams. Most did pretty well excepts that Alex Smith (yes, the QB) slipped to 20 to the Cowboys. Even though the Boys don't really need another QB, not a bad pick for value, except the moron picking for the Cowboys picked Jason Campbell at 11. Idiocy is funny sometimes, espcecially when it comes from a Cowboys fan.

DavidImmel
04-21-2005, 04:29 PM
The time has come for me to shamelessly pump myself up, as its been about 18 months since I said this following Aaron Rodgers' 1st college game:

Aaron Rodgers, assuming no serious injury, WILL BE A TOP 5 PICK. I would take him over any quarterback in the country in terms of potential (based on age and his ability to grow). He has more natural skills than any other Tedford-coached QB, and he has two more years to work at his craft.

Thank you, thank you, I am great, I know, I know.

Seriously, I haven't seen my sleeper pick for this draft in this thread so far, so I'll put him out there now; Matt Jones, former QB at Arkansas is going to make some very smart team look real good when he gets picked. They can use him at Safety, but probably more likely at Wide Reciever as dude is like 6'5" and runs a 4.38. I firmly believe there is not a better athlete in the draft, and he can become an absolute star in the NFL.

Morgan
04-21-2005, 04:43 PM
way to go out on a limb Immel. Everyone and their mom is picking Jones as the sleeper of the draft. He was predicted to go at the end of the first round to the Eagles in the ESPN mock draft.

Jason Scheer
04-21-2005, 04:44 PM
My sleeper is Mike Patterson though he too isnt much of a sleeper

DavidImmel
04-21-2005, 04:48 PM
way to go out on a limb Immel. Everyone and their mom is picking Jones as the sleeper of the draft. He was predicted to go at the end of the first round to the Eagles in the ESPN mock draft.
Ahhh....This I didn't know. I don't follow the draft very closely, and I was just going on what was in this thread. Then I say, good for those teams considering him. I pretty much watched every Arkansas game the past two years because of this guy, and he was the most exciting player in college football. Can't wait to see him on Sundays.

WilmasPimp
04-21-2005, 05:11 PM
The time has come for me to shamelessly pump myself up, as its been about 18 months since I said this following Aaron Rodgers' 1st college game:

You sure about that?

It was a very nice call by you, no need to embellish.