PDA

View Full Version : ESPN hype machine fools everyone but the NFL

Class of 1990
04-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Rodgers #1 to SF. How many of us watched the hype machine. Over 5 hours later in the draft he goes #24. :rolleyes:

SI on Rodgers today. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqbDlib2pqBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwNl Y2w-?slug=cnnsi-2005draftwinner&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns)

"Losers

1. Aaron Rodgers, Cal quarterback: OK, so we start with a lay up. But for a guy who was atop a ton of mock drafts until about 10 days ago, it was an excruciatingly long and humbling afternoon. Then again, as we pointed out elsewhere, Dan Marino went 27th overall in a 28-team league in 1983, so there's hope, Aaron. All in all, if you wind up starring some day in Green Bay, the big money will come your way.

The downside? Pulling a "Rodgers'' has now been added to draft lexicon.

2. Michael Sullivan, Rodgers' agent: Quick: What's three percent of nothing? Sullivan is one of the best agents in the business, and he's somebody I've known and covered since he represented Bucs' first-round pick Trent Dilfer in 1994. But when I saw him Saturday afternoon at the Javits Convention Center, he looked a bit, shall we say stricken? At one point, I thought Sullivan was a decent bet to storm the stage and turn in a selection card with Rodgers' name on it himself."

Trouble should have been brewing in the Rodgers camp when DI made this post. :)

From DI : "The time has come for me to shamelessly pump myself up, as its been about 18 months since I said this following Aaron Rodgers' 1st college game:

Aaron Rodgers, assuming no serious injury, WILL BE A TOP 5 PICK. I would take him over any quarterback in the country in terms of potential (based on age and his ability to grow). He has more natural skills than any other Tedford-coached QB, and he has two more years to work at his craft.

Thank you, thank you, I am great, I know, I know."

DI Pick (http://forum.goazcats.com/showpost.php?p=269337&postcount=46)