PDA

View Full Version : Wildcats to get hosed over regional No. 1 seed?

jmcclain19
05-17-2005, 03:17 AM
That seems to be the thoughts of Baseball America's Will Kimmey, despite the fact that UA's ranked as a top 8 team in his own newspaper's poll.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/chat/050516wk.html

Q: doc from new orleans asks:
As things stand today, who are your 8 national seeds?

A: Will Kimmey: In order: Tulane, Fullerton, Baylor, Oregon State, Georgia Tech, Miami, Texas, Florida. I think LSU sneaks in there before the end, though.

Jason Scheer
05-17-2005, 05:21 AM
Thats the eight national seeds but it doesnt necessarily mean that UA cant host a regional I believe

KrazyCatFan
05-17-2005, 11:11 AM
gotta wait and see. knowing arizona's luck we will get the same jerks who do the basketball seeding and screw us over again

WilmasPimp
05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
16 schools host the Regionals, I'm sure Arizona will be one of them.

It's way too early to be thinking about who will be hosting the Super Regionals. A lot of good teams will be gone by then.

aicrag
05-17-2005, 11:57 AM
As long as we take care of business in the first round things should fall into place for us to host a super regional. I'm sure the NCAA looks at attendance figures and UA surely hasn't been packing Sancet lately even with this team playing so well.

wassupcats
05-17-2005, 01:15 PM
As long as we take care of business in the first round things should fall into place for us to host a super regional. I'm sure the NCAA looks at attendance figures and UA surely hasn't been packing Sancet lately even with this team playing so well.

They do, for both the Regional and Super Regional, which is why the team was handing out "Pre-Order" tickets for Regionals at the Utah Valley State series to try and get enough people to order tickets to help their cause. I'm sure the will be doing the same thing for the final series against Cal.

Jason Scheer
05-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Thing is nobody goes to Oregon St games. Baseball America basically said the winner of the series against ASU would probably host a regional and Oregon St will have the task of proving that they can bring in more fans than UA

benny beaver
05-17-2005, 03:00 PM
OSU at #12 and UA at #34?

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

arizonajsb
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM

The RPI you linked did not include this weekend's games. While we will still be low after the update, I anticipate that we will be significantly higher after beating ASU (who is 15 I believe) 2 out of 3.

benny beaver
05-17-2005, 08:59 PM
They are bringing in 1,000 temporary bleachers for this weekends games versus USC due to extra demand. The last three games have been sold out with a lot of standing room only people.

Harold Reynolds of ESPN (Corvaliis resident) is going to spring for whatever additional funds and temporary seats if any that are needed to host a regional.

Jason Scheer
05-17-2005, 11:18 PM
A school has to prove they can fill 2,000 seats and OSU needs to be able to prove that in order to host a Super over the other candidates because schools like Fullerton, LSU and such can fill 2000 easily

Class of 1990
05-18-2005, 12:02 AM

I know we played a few cream puffs but so does everyone but jeeze 34 ?

We played Texas, Miss State and Cal State Fullerton as part of our non confernce schedule.

Well whatever, like NCAA basketball it will be decided on the field not by polls or a computer.

Jason Scheer
05-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Baseball RPI is nothing like basketball rpi in how much into account they take...UA played schools like Utah Valley St thus lowering their RPI but they will most likely look at Fullerton and Texas and such

ScummyHater
05-18-2005, 06:28 PM
OSU normally only has room for a couple hundred people anyhow. And it's probably the worst field I've ever played on in college. Dugouts are small and dilapidated, field was horrible. The team may be decent, but UA took 2 of 3 on them, are a better team, and have a much nicer facility. And now that school is out, I don't think they have 2000 people left in the town to go to the games. UA is a much better place to host a regional. A super regional is probably a remote possibility. But I think the people in Tucson would turn out to support the Cats, especially since they went to Omaha last year.

benny beaver
05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Which is a good facility.

The games versus ASU were sellouts with over 2,100 paid and another 600-800 peering through the fence.

http://osubeavers.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/050105aaa.html

This weekends games versus USC should draw even bigger crowds with the addition of temporary seating.

ScummyHater
05-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Benny Beaver. My apologies. No, I haven't been to the new stadium. Last time I was there was 1998, which, evidently, was before the renovation. I must admit, it does look much, much better. But I do stand by my belief in that UA would be a better place to host a regional.

BlazerBeav
05-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Just wanted to add that the game today was soldout at 2,350 and there were plenty more watching from outside the fences. Also, school stretches to the second week of June in Oregon so the students will at least be in town for the regional.