PDA

View Full Version : NCAA baseball even MORE biased

BlazerBeav
05-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Wow - never having followed college baseball's postseason I'm shocked at how tilted to the South the selections were. A #2 seed in Cal State Fullerton's region?! Arkansas gets a better #2 seed while finishing 6 games BELOW .500 in the SEC. What a joke.

wassupcats
05-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Wow.. that Pac-10 title and a No. 1 seed are looking pretty good right now.. look at Oregon St's region: Ohio St., St. John's, and VA. Something that is even more puzzling though: ASU got a better region than us as well as a 2 seed. They beat us once all year.. this doesn't make sense whatsoever. ASU's region:
1. Coastal Carolina
2. ASU
3. East Carolina
4. UNLV

I suppose you can look at this a variety of ways, either we got screwed, or you could take the approach of "To be the best you have to beat the best." I mean chances are we would have faced them eventually had we advanced far enough, so why not get it out of the way early? Plus, we've already played CSF, winning 1-0, and losing 7-1, and 17-15. That shows me that we can hang with those guys.

One thing that I am worried is if the Cats overlook Missouri in favor of CSF. They need to focus on the task at hand: sending Mizzou home.

bigj
05-30-2005, 01:38 PM
I wonder if Livengood/Lopez regret the decision of pulling the bid for a regional after seeing what a team the Cats went 4-1 against got in their region.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/050530qt.html
Of the eight College World Series participants in 2004, only Georgia has less of a chance to return to Omaha than Arizona. And the Bulldogs aren't in the field.

bigj
05-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Also, FWIW, a sampling of the Baseball America final regular season top 25 rankings:

2. Oregon State
4. Cal State Fullerton
7. Arizona
16. Missouri (UA 1st rd opp)
21. Southern California (2 seed in Long Beach)
23. Arizona State
25. Coastal Carolina (Tempe 1 seed)

Something tells me a 1 seed could have gone to the Cats.

wassupcats
05-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Wow.. did OSU really even play anyone good out of conference? That was the knock on us, and I'm looking at their schedule and it looks like they didn't. I mean we took on Texas and CSF. Hopefully the guys can use this as motivation.

Morgan
05-30-2005, 02:48 PM
You guys got screwed. The West coast usually gets screwed in college baseball. I felt in years past that ASU got screwed, now you guys can see first hand the issues in college baseball. I hope to see an ASU v. UA Super Regional. (Mostly because I want no part of Fullerton).

Jason Scheer
05-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Awful guys. This is just awful. As much as I believe in the team and such they truly have almost no chance to come out of this regional and I wouldnt be very surprised if they are in the loser bracket in the first game. This is a shame to the team and the fans in Tucson and considering there were 600 people at the final game of the season it is no surprise that it was withdrawn. However, the UA got screwed as did other members of the West Coast. When Fullerton wins again, maybe West Coast baseball will get some more respect

MIZtigersZOU
05-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Arizona fans seem to be over looking the Tigers. I follow Mizzou baseball (40-20), and I can tell you that we will be no push over. We advanced to the semi-finals of the Big 12 tourney, and finished 4th in the final Big 12 standings, behind Baylor, Nebraska, and Texas. Earlier in the year, we beat Texas Tech 25-0 in a no hitter, many records set in that game. We have the Big 12 pitcher of the year, Max Scherzer (9-3; 1.52 ERA), along with Nathan Culp and Andrew Johnston in the bull pin (Missouri pitching has a 3.08 ERA). Our best batter is James Boone with a .356 average and 180 at bats. Derek Chambers has scored 60 runs and Hunter Mense has scored 59. I don't know if the post has helped anyone, but if anyone has any questions about Mizzou baseball, go ahead and ask, I will be happy to answer any that you have.

Jason Scheer
05-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Nobody is overlooking you it is just more noticeable that we have been placed in a regional with Fullerton. Your top pitcher, the pitcher we are facing, is obviously very good

MIZtigersZOU
05-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Well, no one is for sure if we will start Max Scherzer or Nathan Culp on Friday, allthough I would rather see Max start because if we lose the first game, I don't see us winning the region. I say use him early so you can use him later in the tourney.

Jason Scheer
05-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Id tend to agree with you

MIZtigersZOU
05-30-2005, 05:45 PM
How is Zona's defense? I have a feeling the game will be more reliant on D than pitching.

PS-Do you have any IM's? I would rather talk through that than through this.
PPS- www.tigerboard.com

Irish27
05-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Arizona's defense is average at best. Donald and Boyer can make a great play but turn around and make an error on a routine play.

I give the edge to the UofA on the offensive side. The offense is led by Trevor Crowe, Jordan Brown and Nick Hundley. This team can score in bunches, just ask USC and asu.

As for the pitching, if Meloan can regain his form he had earlier, I would call it even. I don't know if the Tigers have a closer but the UofA has Melancon. He is one of the top closers in the Pac-10.

I don't think anyone is overlooking Missouri. This Arizona team has the experience from last year and hopefully that will help them get through the regional. Looking forward to the game on Friday.

Jason Scheer
05-30-2005, 08:19 PM
One thing we can agree on is that this regional is ridiculously hard for the seventh ranked team in the country. ASU can get out of their regional considering Coastal Carolina as a one seed is nearly offensive to the other teams. Arizona is the type of team that can mess up on the simple things but then come right back and make the big play. They did not play well at Fullerton last year but this is a different team. They seem to play to the level of their opponents and in the postseason that is not necessarily a bad thing as the teams in the regional are good

Jason Scheer
05-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Im sure this sounds familiar for people like Morgan:

In 2004, Arizona State decided against submitting a regional bid because of renovations going on at Packard Stadium, and though it earned the No. 7 national seed got sent to the Fullerton regional. Three league champions played there: Cal State Fullerton, Pepperdine and Minnesota. The Sun Devils were eliminated in three games, and the Titans won the College World Series to prove Arizona State's point about how tough the regional was.

A year later, Arizona withdrew its bid to serve as a host one week before bids were handed out. Now, the Pacific-10 Conference's second-place team is headed to Fullerton to face the No. 6 national seed and defending champs. Missouri, a team with one of the nation's best pitchers in sophomore Max Scherzer, awaits Arizona in its opening game. The Fullerton Bracket of Death is back for another year.

"We've got our hands full," Fullerton coach George Horton said. "I guess there's a good way and a bad way to look at that. I shared with my team the good way because there's no sense in complaining about it. At this time of year, everybody's pretty good and there's no givens or soft teams.

"If we can't beat them here in our own yard, we're not going to beat them in Omaha anyway. In our program, it's not about surviving for the next week but winning in Omaha. Sooner or later, we've got to play everyone anyway."

LegallyKenny
05-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Arkansas gets a better #2 seed while finishing 6 games BELOW .500 in the SEC. What a joke.

The committee doesn't want to deal with Garrido not making it to Omaha, so they have to throw him a freebie while his team is playing like ****.

Jason Scheer
05-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Others may disagree with Kimmey...from sebaseball.com:

Non-national No. 1 seed to watch: Miami

Yes, yes, I know, the Canes are hurting right now. But Jim Morris is one of the few coaches in the country who has a knack of turning his teams into post-season monsters, no matter what the talent level is in Coral Gables. And this is one talented Canes squad. I have a feeling the fleet-a-foot Figueroa brothers are going to catch fire, sluggers John Jay and Ryan Braun are due and for God's sake, ace Cesar Carillo will find his groove again. Omaha is still a distinct possibility.

No. 2 seed to watch: Arizona

See all those nice things I just wrote about Jim Morris? That goes ditto for Andy Lopez. Last year's run to Omaha all took place on the road, beating two of the best pitching staffs in the country - Notre Dame and Long Beach State. Is Fullerton vulnerable? Of all the 62 other teams in the field, Arizona may be the most likely team to pull the trick.

Consider me your JMJ of UA baseball-till I go to my cousins wedding in Florida for the weekend :)

Irish27
05-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Check BA's top-25. Missouri is ranked #16 in the country while Coastal Carolina is ranked #25. Arkansas is not even ranked. The committee sucks.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/top25.html

UofAcat23
05-30-2005, 10:54 PM
i like the Cats as an underdog, last year nobody expected much and they made it to the CWS. Here's hoping for a repeat.

Class of 1990
05-30-2005, 11:37 PM
This is a loaded bracket. You have three teams who could be considered possible CW teams in an opening regional ?

This should be the "no excuse" regional. You win this one and instant respect should fall on your program. So go Cats get some ...

U of A notes (http://www.arizonaathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1600&ATCLID=121551)

Baseball To Face Missouri in Fullerton Regional

TUCSON, Ariz. – The Arizona baseball team will open the 2005 postseason in the Fullerton Regional in Fullerton, Calif., as a No.2 seed against No. 3-seeded Missouri. Defending national champions Cal State Fullerton and No. 4 seed Harvard are the two other schools in the regional.

The Wildcats are making their third straight regional appearance under head coach Andy Lopez and the 32nd overall in school history.
Arizona finished the 2005 regular season with a 37-19 record and was second in the Pac-10 Conference with a 17-7 league record. Boasting one of the top offenses in the nation, UA batted a Pac-10-best .332 as a team in 2005 and averaged 8.6 runs, 12.1 hits, 2.6 doubles and 1.1 home runs per game during the regular season.

The Wildcats and Tigers have met twice in baseball, both times in the postseason. Arizona is 2-0 all-time against Missouri, winning a 1963 College World Series contest 6-4 and a 1976 regional game 10-1 in Edinburg, Texas.

A Quick Look at Arizona: Arizona finished the 2005 regular season with a 37-19 overall record ... The Wildcats have already posted the most wins for a UA team in a single season since the 1989 team went 45-18-1 ... Arizona finished second in the Pac-10 conference with a 17-7 league record. The Wildcats trailed only conference champion Oregon State (19-5) ... Arizona won seven of its eight conference three-game series in 2005, matching the effort of conference champion Oregon State ... The Wildcats went 20-12 out of the Pac-10 this season and won five of the their eight non-conference three-game series ... Arizona faced six teams ranked in the Sports Weekly/USA Today Coaches Poll during the regular season and went 11-8 against them ...

Arizona’s Regional History: The 2005 regional invitation marks the third consecutive season that Arizona has advanced to play in the postseason ... The last time UA made three straight trips to the NCAA’s was 1985-87 ... The 2005 postseason marks the 32nd time Arizona has advanced to play past the regular season, the second-most in Pac-10 history behind 12-time national champion USC’s 40 ... The Wildcats are 51-35 (.593) in regional play since 1950 and have taken home 15 regional championships in school history, including the South Bend title last season.

Regional Road Warriors: 2005 will mark the 19th time Arizona has left Tucson for the regional round of the NCAA’s. Of the 18 previous regional road trips, Arizona has returned with the regional title seven times ... Two of Arizona’s three national championship runs were started with a regional road trip (1976 – Edinburg, Texas; 1986 – Austin, Texas), only the 1980 national championship team started its title run in Tucson.

Postseason Success: The Arizona baseball program has a long and storied history in the NCAA postseason. The Wildcats have made 31 postseason appearances previous to this season, have won 15 regional titles, one super regional title, made 15 appearances at the College World Series, won three national titles (1976, 1980, 1986) and finished runner-up three other times (1956, 1959, 1963). Heading into the postseason this year, Arizona is tied for seventh in CWS appearances (15), seventh in CWS wins (33), eighth in CWS games played (60) and tied for seventh in titles won (3). Arizona is 86-63 (.577) all-time in the postseason.

Postseason Experience: The Arizona roster is dotted with players that have played meaningful postseason games. Seven of the nine starters in the field (including DH) have played nine or more postseason games in their careers at UA. Catcher Nick Hundley (11 postseason games), first baseman Jordan Brown (10), second baseman Brad Boyer (11), shortstop Jason Donald (9), left fielder Trevor Crowe (10), right fielder Jeff Van Houten (11) and DH Derek Decater (10) have all contributed to Arizona’s three straight postseason appearances.

On the mound, John Meloan, Kevin Guyette and Sean Rierson have all started at least one postseason game and closer Mark Melancon is a very impressive 2-0 with two saves and a 0.00 in five postseason appearances.

the real dill
06-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Texas should have gotten a one also. Top 5 all year long.

Mizzou's ace is pretty nasty

Jason Scheer
06-02-2005, 11:49 PM
1. Cal State Fullerton 41-15, automatic, won Big West regular season, 27th NCAA tournament, 13th consecutive appearance
2. Arizona 37-19, at-large, second in Pacific-10, 28th NCAA tournament, third consecutive appearance
3. Missouri 39-21, at-large, fourth in Big 12, 17th NCAA tournament, third consecutive appearance
4. Harvard 29-15, automatic, won Ivy regular season and tournament, 14th NCAA tournament

Player To Watch: Missouri sophomore righthander Max Scherzer holds the key to this regional bracket of death, which features three teams ranked No. 4, No. 7 and No. 16 in the season-ending Top 25. Scherzerís 1.53 ERA ranks sixth nationally, his 11.5 strikeouts per nine innings rank 12th and he allows opponents but a .152 average. His mid-90s fastball/power slider combo could hold Arizona and its fifth-ranked scoring offense to the loserís bracket from the start.

The Favorite: Cal State Fullerton isnít the favorite to win the College World Series because itís the defending champ, but because this team is deeper, more experienced and better all-around than the 2004 edition. Its 50 home runs, led by 13 from Sergio Pedroza, have already surpassed the 47 hit a year ago despite the loss of Kurt Suzukiís 16 jacks. The 3.51 team ERA is thinner than last yearís 3.72 figure. Eleven position players have started at least 21 games, while the Ricky Romero-led pitching staff features four strong starters and a bullpen presence (Vinnie Pestano, 2.62, 11 saves) that was missing a year ago.

On The Other Hand: When a lack of local interest forced Arizona to pull its regional host bid, Coach Andy Lopez said his team, one that reached Omaha as a No. 3 seed in 2004, was talented and experienced enough that it could make it back without home-field advantage. He couldnít have drawn a more difficult test. Left fielder Trevor Crowe (.421/.495/.745 and 26 steals) leads an offense that ranked fifth nationally with 8.6 runs per game, fourth in slugging (.537) and fifth in batting (.332). Veterans John Meloan and Kevin Guyette should provide solid starts, but the question comes in how the remainder of a pitching staff with a 4.92 conference ERA will stand up over multiple games after having played but three games a week on a regular basis.

Bracket Buster: Missouri ranks 11th nationally with a 3.08 ERA, and that figure dipped to 2.94 in Big 12 play. The Tigers proved their strength by taking a series at Baylor after Scherzer had been defeated in the opener. The rest of the staff doesnít boast Scherzerís power, but it throws strikes and avoids walks. The offensive gameplan works in just the opposite manner, with the Tigers' on-base happy crew led by outfielders James Boone (.473 OBP, 67 RBIs), Hunter Mense (.455 OBP, 59 runs) and Jacob Priday (.411, 62 RBIs), who has recently switched to catching.

Don't Forget About: Poor Harvard looks overmatched in the tournament's strongest regional, a place where the only stat the club has on its opponents might be grade point average. The Crimson like to run, stealing 84 bases in 44 games. Junior Zak Farkes, the schoolís career home runs leader with 27, batted .359-6-30 overall, including a .429 mark in Ivy play.

Irish27
06-03-2005, 12:12 AM
The UofA needs a break like they got last year when Notre Dame lost their first game to Kent. Harvard needs to beat Fullerton and I don't see that happening. Missouri is going to be tough.

cowtown_horn
06-04-2005, 12:36 AM
Texas should have gotten a one also. Top 5 all year long.

Mizzou's ace is pretty nasty

Texas DID NOT DESERVE a Top 8 seed. The groaning out of Austin was without cause...they had every chance to beat Baylor once or twice, to beat the Jayhawks 2/3 or sweep, and the same to the Aggies, but did not, and finished THIRD in the Big12. They started 22-0, finished 21-14. I do not want to hear their groaning. Win your sub and go drill Ole Miss---you got one of the easiest draws there is---you could be the Wildcats...the NCAA could start sending Pepperdine, CSF, LBSU to Austin again, and we all know how those ended...
Go Frogs
Go BatCats
Good Luck, Horns

"I do not suffer idiots well"-C_H
"Don't buy a home if you don't like to work---trust me."-C_H
"YES, I AM spunky"-C_H

cowtown_horn
06-04-2005, 12:47 AM
The committee doesn't want to deal with Garrido not making it to Omaha, so they have to throw him a freebie while his team is playing like ****.

AGREED. As half-A-ed as Texas is this year, Ole Miss on the road is still a gimme...ask my bro the Sun Devil how he feels about having to face the damn Titans EVERY YEAR IN FULLERTON. Do us a favor...finish them off, and I'll see you in Omaha at the Catholic church parking lot on 13-14th Street. If we get to that point, and you or yours make the trip, I will further divulge...(I have friends chomping to go this year, should it happen)...
Frankly, I'm from Fort Worth, and am pulling more for the Frogs to make it than Texas.

"Mickey Mouse bunt-ball will win a national title. When your team ERA is sub-2 and your team BA is +.3, it will"---C_H BIG :)

No JOKE: Omaha wraps up in the 20's of June...email address will be returned should we both reach the final rounds, I like to have Guinness, Shiner, and Lone Star buried under a lot of motel ice...I have an aunt and uncle-in-law who live out on Tanque Verde, and I think you all share in love of a frosty cold one...

cowtown_horn
06-04-2005, 12:54 AM
This is the "The winner of this one is going to Omaha" sub-regional.

Oh yeah, "and making noise in Omaha". The Cats could be alot more than just a serious pain in the a** this year, but ya gotta beat the Titans to start it---a Super Regional at home vs the hated Devils could await...do you think that is enough motivation?
"My governor is a Jewish cowboy..." C_H

tstein7240
06-04-2005, 03:56 PM
"My governor is a Jewish cowboy..." C_H

Ride'em Jewboy