PDA

View Full Version : Lopez to Oklahoma?

Ben Hansen
06-07-2005, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't blame him at all if he accepts the job. He has every right to be upset at the horrible fanbase here, plus he'll make double his salary in Norman because of all the Sooners' ridiculous football revenue.
It was nice having him but I bet he'll leave for OU soon.He got zero support here.

godpapa
06-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Ben,

Make no mistake about it this is a trickle down effect from the loss to Illinois in Basketball. If we win that game we have enough revenue to host the regional and Lopez probably doesn't even entertain offers.

tstein7240
06-07-2005, 07:50 PM
For those in Tucson... what happen to attendence at games in the past decade. I remember it being a part of campus life in the late 80's/early 90's. Now that they are a top team... why isn't it now?

mines_bigger
06-07-2005, 08:16 PM
When I was at the UA in the early 80s, baseball was really big. Don't even think they had a softball team then, but they may have. Of course the UA men's team had recently come off of 3 NCs, much props to Jerry Kindall.

ZONACAT
06-07-2005, 08:22 PM
I havent heard this rumor but I wish him luck when he decides to leave. I think it is disgraceful how Livengood handled the regional situation and I can't blame Lopez for wanting to leave.

tstein7240
06-07-2005, 08:23 PM
The softball team was great when I was in school... but nobody cared. My roommate was the softball PA announcer... was the only reason I would should up to games.

Does softball get decent attendence? Students or the snowbirds? How does their attendence compare to baseball?

ByJoveByJingle
06-07-2005, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't blame him at all if he accepts the job. He has every right to be upset at the horrible fanbase here, plus he'll make double his salary in Norman because of all the Sooners' ridiculous football revenue.
It was nice having him but I bet he'll leave for OU soon.He got zero support here.

That's horsesh*t. How about honoring your contract and growing the program if you're so good, and worth so much more? People will come if they consistently turn into a winner. What was their record 2 years ago . . . and the 2 years before that?

I hope he stays and exhibits some loyalty . . . any gesture to stem the mercenary quality that is "amateur" athletics these days. :cool:

T-Bone
06-07-2005, 08:26 PM
I would have to believe that Lute and the rise of the basketball team have played a big part in the downfall of interest in the baseball team. Other factors may include the inception of the Sidewinders and the construction of TEP. I doubt the Toros saw nearly the amount of family spectators as the Sidewinders currently do.

Also, the length of college baseball games can't help the situation either. Whether we like it or not, many spectators at UA sporting events are half-fans/drunk fans and college baseball games are too long for both of those types of spectators.

Obviously, there is nothing that Lopez could have done about any of these factors but I think that big universities with competitive major sports teams (football and basketball) are not conducive environments for popular college baseball teams for the most part. Why else would the top college baseball teams come from such small schools as Cal Fullerton, Coastal Carolina, etc.

T-Bone
06-07-2005, 08:29 PM
The softball team was great when I was in school... but nobody cared. My roommate was the softball PA announcer... was the only reason I would should up to games.

Does softball get decent attendence? Students or the snowbirds? How does their attendence compare to baseball?

GA tickets at softball games generally sell out and they actually have a student seating section unlike at the baseball stadium. Granted, the softball stadium is much smaller than the baseball stadium but I bet their attendance almost doubles that seen at baseball games. Again, I think the timing of the game plays a big difference. The majority of the elderly softball fans wouldn't be able to make it through a baseball game that lasts past 11pm.

bigj
06-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Obviously, there is nothing that Lopez could have done about any of these factors but I think that big universities with competitive major sports teams (football and basketball) are not conducive environments for popular college baseball teams for the most part. Why else would the top college baseball teams come from such small schools as Cal Fullerton, Coastal Carolina, etc.

Actually CS Fullerton, Pepperdine and Rice (I believe) are the only non-BCS champions in CWS history. Schools like USC, Texas, LSU, ASU etc... traditionally dominate college baseball.

Lopez would no doubt be making the right move by leaving (although I wish he would stay). The athletic dept. didnt show him a fraction of the love they show the softball team, and not bidding to host an almost certain regional probably cost the team a trip to Omaha.

barringer97
06-07-2005, 08:38 PM
I hope not, that would s*ck.

I doubt he wowuld leave.

godpapa
06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Zonacat you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off base with your criticism of Jim Livengood. Remember our President has decreed that the U of A Athletic Department must balance its own budget without any funds from the University. Mr. Livengood has done this and still managed to be a top 10 Sears Cup program year in and year out. As a comparison ASU's athletic department receives an allotment from the University's funds each year within its budget. That is why they have so much more revenue with which to bid on regional's and such. I think that the job Mr. Livengood has done in balancing his budget and putting together a coaching staff and training facility of the highest quality is nothing short of a miracle and is a direct result of his and his staff's incedible work ethic. Does it mean that he has never made a mistake? No but he is a high quality individual who steps up and corrects his errors and provides a great environment for U of A athletics. Why do you think that Lute has said if Jim leaves I leave. Lute is a high quality individual who knows how important it is to have a high quality individual to work with. We are very lucky to have Jim Livengood as our AD.

ZONACAT
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Last I read, the ASU AD is (near) broke, but they still could afford to host a regional.

Am I wrong on this? Morgan, Stew?

I think our AD is in better finanical standing and could have survived hosting a regional. Bottom line, you dont F your student athletes, and the department just F'ed the baseball team. Livengood was completely wrong not to host a regional and not even Livengood himself could convince me that it was the right decision.

He could have just cost us our up and coming baseball program.

Note: I realize how the finances of our department works.

T-Bone
06-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Actually CS Fullerton, Pepperdine and Rice (I believe) are the only non-BCS champions in CWS history. Schools like USC, Texas, LSU, ASU etc... traditionally dominate college baseball.

I realize that most CWS winners are from big schools but the fact that schools like Quinnipiac, Northwestern State, Marist, etc. could even be listed among the top 64 college baseball teams says something. I am willing to bet that my high school had more people than many of these colleges.

losgatosaz05
06-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Man I hope he does not leave but I would not blame him if he did. If he does the cats need to go after someone who can keep the program going in the right direction. Remeber if they build it, they will come. They are building a good program but we as fans need to get out there and support the team. I wish I could of gone to more than the 1 game I was able to make it to.

WilmasPimp
06-07-2005, 09:10 PM
The baseball team needed a show of support from the Athletic Department, and instead Livengood and Co. hung them out to dry. What pissed me off the most was that Livengood acted as if not hosting the regional was the coaches and players decision, and not a result of the bad financial shape his Department is in. My respect for Livengood has really gone downhill the last two weeks.

mines_bigger
06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Anyone know what teams actually make money? I know Lute supports the entire athletic department. Most college fball teams make money, but under Mack they were also under Lute's charity umbrella. I imagine softball and baseball are quite expensive due to the large size of the teams and the number of games they play.

Auercat
06-07-2005, 09:36 PM
I cannot believe I'm listening to people say that Oklahoma is a better baseball job than Arizona. Ced Dempsey would NEVER have put up with that mentality as he was the guy who stole Lute Olson from Iowa and was damned close to taking Earle Bruce from Ohio St. Ced was proactive and built this AD (he hired Lute and Candrea and set the foundation for all of the recent successes). He was all about winning and making the UA the best. How I long for those days again.

Now on the other hand the UA has "Sunny Jim" Livengood who is all about the budget. Sunny is busy making up excuses why the UA can't afford to host regionals and making OU seem like the top job, not the UA. That is horsesh@t! This debacle is all on Livengood and his hire of the football coach known as "He whose name shall not be spoken". The 850,000/year debacle has set the UA AD back MILLIONS of dollars. No bowls since 1998, no more sellouts, no merchandising, no gate revenue, no concession revenue, few TV appearances and money that can never be made up. Livengood really screwed the pooch with his old boy network hire. The AD is only on a tight budget because of Livengood's indiscretions. He should step up and take some responsibility. :angry:

Bearing Down on Livengood Not Being Able To Hold Ced Dempsey's Jock Strap :mad:

Auercat

KingOfCats
06-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Wow, what a swing from a couple of days ago when thing were really looking up for the baseball program.

I think we are all being a little premature here, but if he does leave it's gonna be a huge blow. I'm not sure why he'd leave for Oklahoma though when just last year he turned down a chance to coach at his alma mater (UCLA). Lopez also has a strong affinity for Livengood. From an April article in the Citizen:

Andy would be coaching at his alma mater, UCLA, if it hadn't been for his friendship with Wildcat athletic director Jim Livengood.

"I work for a great man," Lopez said. "You are always 'tugged' to return to your alma mater. But working for Jim is a joy I can't even describe.

"I probably would have gone to UCLA. I played there and I'm in the hall of fame there, but it means more to me to work with Jim."

MrBug708
06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, if this year is any sign of how good our coach is, Lopez might have the UCLA job in a couple of years.

Ben Hansen
06-07-2005, 10:30 PM
I hope not, that would s*ck.

I doubt he wowuld leave.

Don't doubt it because money is talking really loudly right now.

Jason Scheer
06-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Ben money talked loudly with UCLA and numerous other schools too. if Lopez didnt leave for his dream job then I find it hard to believe that he would leave for Oklahoma when the job he set out to do isnt done

T-Bone
06-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Ben money talked loudly with UCLA and numerous other schools too. if Lopez didnt leave for his dream job then I find it hard to believe that he would leave for Oklahoma when the job he set out to do isnt done

I think the difference between now and last year is that Lopez hadn't just been screwed over by the great man that is his boss right before he was contacted by UCLA. In his recent interview he definitely did not seem happy with the situation he was in now judging by the way he left the questions about his future up in the air.

tstein7240
06-07-2005, 11:45 PM
As one who is SHOCKED that the AD and city don't support a top ranked team... I would not blame him if he left for more money.

I guess things have changed since my days in Tucson (damn, I am making myself sound old!)
- Toros use to be a joke, in a joke of a stadium. Nobody cared
- Softball, even though the team was great, wasn't even on the radar of the average student
- UA baseball games were an event, coach Jerry was supported, games were in the afternoon, and there would never be a chance in hell that Dempsey would turn down hosting the regionals

Morgan
06-07-2005, 11:50 PM
That woulld be bad for the Pac 10 on the whole. Lopez has you guys turned around and will be top 20 year in and year out from now on.

UofAcat23
06-08-2005, 12:14 AM
As one who is SHOCKED that the AD and city don't support a top ranked team... I would not blame him if he left for more money.

I guess things have changed since my days in Tucson (damn, I am making myself sound old!)
- Toros use to be a joke, in a joke of a stadium. Nobody cared
- Softball, even though the team was great, wasn't even on the radar of the average student
- UA baseball games were an event, coach Jerry was supported, games were in the afternoon, and there would never be a chance in hell that Dempsey would turn down hosting the regionals

Most people i know long for the days that the tucson toros return (and not freaking toros tuesday at TEP!)

Class of 1990
06-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Thoughts here on losing Lopez and other things.

Like Lute flirting with Kentucky twice I believe Lopez will stay. $$$$

He has every right to be upset about not bidding on a regional. Jim Click and the other Tucson wannabe royality have $$$$ it could have been done.

You got a dominate basketball team. Softball team is tops and probably pays if not all at least most of its costs. Football is on the way up. Season ticket revenue and game attendance will be up. With new Uni's apparel sales should be higher. We know where this Baseball team is headed year in and out with Lopez.

Our AD needs to think a little more about investing into the future of the sport programs.

How many games did anyone here in Tucson go to this season ?

I went to three. ASU, Texas, OSU.

Maybe we should continue suggestions on how to gain more people to the games ?

ByJoveByJingle
06-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Last I read, the ASU AD is (near) broke, but they still could afford to host a regional.

Am I wrong on this? Morgan, Stew?

I think our AD is in better finanical standing and could have survived hosting a regional. Bottom line, you dont F your student athletes, and the department just F'ed the baseball team. Livengood was completely wrong not to host a regional and not even Livengood himself could convince me that it was the right decision.

He could have just cost us our up and coming baseball program.

Note: I realize how the finances of our department works.

How many people in the athletic department were fired in the last 2 months? 10? 15? I don't remember anymore.

Maybe he did hang them (and us) out to dry by claiming that it was poor attendance or whatever, but the reality is that the athletic department is in a world of hurt right now. And it's not going to get any better until the Football program starts producing.

ZONACAT
06-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Does anyone know the definate price to host a regional? I know C of C bid $100,000 to host a regional but were turned down.

BJBJ, my point is you never F the student athletes, even if that means going into the red a little bit. Like I said, if ASU can do it, we should be able to also. Hell, adding one more home game for football or basketball would cover the costs.

drewthejew
06-08-2005, 01:31 AM
I know a lot of Oklahoma fans that would be pretty happy if interim HC Sonny Golloway got the job, and being that he's an OU guy from Norman, I think he's probably the best bet. Golloway turned Oral Roberts into a very good small school program and did a pretty good job with the Sooners this year after the whole incident with Cochell. Also, Golloway didn't give up his HC job at Oral Roberts and come to OU as an assistant just so he could coach there for two years and be done. OU was grooming him to take the HC position all along, IMO, because Cochell only had a few years coaching left anyway, most likely.
The rumor of Lopez to A&M makes more sense. Oklahoma has a lot of money, but Sooner baseball isn't all that big. They probably draw 800-1000 fans a game, which is better then us, but nothing special. A&M consistently draws 5-6 thousand fans. So if Lopez is going to leave, I think it's more likely that's where he'll end up.

tstein7240
06-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Jim Click and the other Tucson wannabe royality have $$$$ it could have been done.?

That is a name out of the past...

Maybe we should continue suggestions on how to gain more people to the games ?

Do they do any sort of promotions/advertising? Or just expect people to show up?

Class of 1990
06-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Do they do any sort of promotions/advertising? Or just expect people to show up?

Kinda. I mean they advertise in the newspapers. But Lopez doesn't seem to be on the TV sportscastes very much. Some ZonaZoo people go so the campus must advertise something.

No on the promotions. A hat or pennant or SOMETHING would be an idea.
The thing is its baseball not fluff. Seems that many people want to drop their kids off at the play areas at the Sidewinder games and then get drunk. The AD dept has to market the Cats as the home town team and the wins mean something unlike the PCL.

T-Bone
06-08-2005, 02:18 AM
I personally feel that the ZonaZoo people do a crap job of promoting smaller sports. Although schedules and what not are always posted in their newsletters, which I randomly don't get most of the time, their cover stories and headers are almost always focused on football and basketball, especially during basketball season which largely coincides with baseball season. In any case, they do have special events at baseball games and othe smaller sporting events but I feel that the promotions are pointless, like free Domino's and pointless trinkets. Having recently lived on campus for two years, I think it is safe to say that almost no one in the dorms wants/needs more Domino's and no one needs the other things they give out.

Just this past year, they also set up a program where the top attendees of all sporting events were invited to a dinner with Lute Olson and other athletic figures. The problem was that most of these fifty people were in Allegiance, in which members have to attend games anyway. Consequently, other fans that weren't in the club got nothing for their attendance.

I think that a system needs to be set up in which basketball tickets are given to the people who attend the most sporting events. Only then will sports such as baseball see higher attendance.

tstein7240
06-08-2005, 09:39 AM
I don't know if a program is the answer. Get people to go to the games because the WANT to. Not because the want to get something else... so they are forced to.

When I was there... had great crowds.... and not ZonaZoo type of thing. I am not sure about Lopez, but Coach Jerry was always seen around town. Was talking the team up. PR goes a long way to building interest. Hell, we had 8 players drafted... that is something that should be promoted by the AD through PR. THEN... use some of these little Dominos type promotions to get people to specific games.

PS: don't knock the Dominos promotion. They are paying our athletic department planty of $$$ to hand out those coupons. Without these sponsors... our athletic program would be in deeper shyte.

BigO
06-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Don't know if it's completely true but here.

By Charles Durrenberger
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

FULLERTON, Calif. - Andy Lopez might have coached his last baseball game in a UA uniform.

After Monday's 6-2 loss to Cal State-Fullerton in the regional final, Lopez acknowledged that he has been contacted by both Oklahoma and Texas A&M about their openings in the Big 12 Conference.

"Both Oklahoma and Texas A&M have sent feelers my way, just to gauge my interest," said Lopez, who is 141-95-1 in four years at the UA. "In this business, you have to listen. We'll just leave it that."

Lopez had expressed his dissatisfaction with public support for the UA baseball program and the Pac-10's lack of respect nationally.

It was Lopez who encouraged athletic director Jim Livengood to withdraw the UA's bid to host a regional after the Cats averaged just 1,100 fans per game.

"We talked four years ago about putting this program back on the map," Lopez said recently. "We've done that, but for whatever reason, the fans haven't showed up."

sporto
06-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Dang Big O, I was going to look for that quote today but you beat me to it.

Nice job.

Bear Down!

aicrag
06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Went to a few games this year. Had a great time and I don't buy into this whole idea that OU is a better job than UA. I went to OU for grad school and was not impressed with their basebal facilities. Football pays all their bills. Like somebody said if Lopez leaves it will probably be for A&M where they routinely average about 5K. If Lopez leaves I for one will be VERY dissapointed in him and the university for letting this happen. Chickensh!t on all accounts. Don't let a dissapointing end to this season guide all your decisions fans, coaches, ADs, and players.

Ciao

Morgan
06-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know the definate price to host a regional? I know C of C bid $100,000 to host a regional but were turned down.

BJBJ, my point is you never F the student athletes, even if that means going into the red a little bit. Like I said, if ASU can do it, we should be able to also. Hell, adding one more home game for football or basketball would cover the costs.

ASU is out of the red and after last year and that bad decision it was a guarantee that ASU would put in for the regional. It does cost money, I think the minimum is 30K that goes to the NCAA but with good attendence a school can break even if they sell a good amount of tickets and make money on parking ect. ASU was charging 8 bucks to park for the regional last weekend.

ZONACAT
06-08-2005, 12:57 PM
It was Lopez who encouraged athletic director Jim Livengood to withdraw the UA's bid to host a regional after the Cats averaged just 1,100 fans per game.

[/I]

That's just Lopez preaching the company line, there isnt a coach alive that would be against homefield advantage. Every coach would rather play at home, even if nobody showed up. That's just Livengood's influence on him to make it seem like the team really wanted to go on the road. Please, not buying it.

fultitanfan
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
T-Bone, actually Cal State Fullerton is an enigma to the baseball world. How can a program like them be so strong and compete year in and year out with the best programs in the country? Its not about other schools having basketball or football that takes away from baseball as you propose. USC, Stanford, Texas, Miami, LSU, Oklahoma, Arizona ST, Nebraska, Georgia...I think you get my drift. These are all major powers in baseball, football, and other sports. Your premise is deceiving. Fullerton is a premeire program to which you should aspire. The baseball national championship is probably the most difficult to win. You have the longest season, you enter the regionals, super regionals, followed by the College World Series. Yes, some programs get in that probably shouldn't, but as in basketball, some teams get the automatic berth because they won the league tournament. The one thing you know in baseball is that if you win the national championship, you have to beat the strongest teams, not the Coastal Carolina's, and you have to beat some of these teams twice, which you couldn't do against us. That is the fact. Don't make excuses for your losses or minimize your losses by saying only the small schools excell in baseball. Baseball is the most competitive and has the most programs...290 teams in division I all hoping to get to Omaha. The road to Omaha goes directly through Fullerton, which you found out about last weekend. Go Titans!

T-Bone
06-08-2005, 03:45 PM
fultitanfan,

Whoa, calm the f' down. I wasn't making any excuses for Arizona's losses as I didn't even get to listen to the games more or less watch them. What I was saying is that, whether you like it or not, the college baseball tournament is filled with small schools for one reason or another. Granted, Fullerton is a good team but when teams like Quinnipiac can get in and lose by 27 to Miami who also lost in the first round, its obvious how college baseball is an appealing sport to smaller schools.

If you look at my posts they, in no way, pertain to UA losing to the Titans but rather to why baseball is not popular at UA and why it is popular/successful at many smaller schools; because they have a strong chance of making the tournament even if they are not that great or won an extremely small conference.

Also, as I stated earlier, I undertand that larger schools win the CWS more than smaller teams but you cannot deny that the tournament hosts a large number of small school teams (Rhode Island, Marist, LA Lafayette, Long Beach State, Maine, NC A&T, TX San Antonio, Furman, Stetson, VA Commonwealth, Florida Atlantic, etc).

So, again my original point was that these schools have successful baseball teams in part because they do not have to contend with world class basketball programs and/or football programs which steal attendance and funding. Does this mean that UA has an excuse to lose to these teams? No, but that is never what I intended to say.

LegallyKenny
06-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Well, if this year is any sign of how good our coach is, Lopez might have the UCLA job in a couple of years.

You'll need another AD first. Not even making a serious play for Horton was a joke.

Why wouldn't Lopez look at A&M over OU? Especially if A&M can't get Horton.

Ben Hansen
06-08-2005, 07:57 PM
I still like and support Livengood completely.. this was the fans' problem for never showing up.

fultitanfan
06-08-2005, 09:17 PM
T-Bone, point well taken, I misunderstood and thought you were taking a shot at Fullerton; however, look at potential matchups for the College world series, Miami, Nebraska, Arizona St, Tulane, Texas, Oregon St, USC etc. Large schools predominately with large athletic programs. The small schools reaching the big show is rare as in Football or Basketball.

cactuscat62
06-08-2005, 09:18 PM
After reading all the posts...there is only one solution to solve all the issues at hand. How do you put more fans into Sancet Stadium? What would it take for you to buy a ticket? Is it too hot? Are the games too long. How about if Wilbur, and Wilma showed up to the games? Does there have to be some sort of giveaway for you to show up? Not enough parking?

I don't have the answers to these questions, but the marketing department at the UofA really needs to step up to the plate.

My wife an I only went to 2 games, and they were both against ASU. I wish now that I could've supported them more.

Auercat
06-08-2005, 09:22 PM
After reading all the posts...there is only one solution to solve all the issues at hand. How do you put more fans into Sancet Stadium? What would it take for you to buy a ticket? Is it too hot? Are the games too long. How about if Wilbur, and Wilma showed up to the games? Does there have to be some sort of giveaway for you to show up? Not enough parking?

I don't have the answers to these questions, but the marketing department at the UofA really needs to step up to the plate.

My wife an I only went to 2 games, and they were both against ASU. I wish now that I could've supported them more.

Cactus Cat,

A good start might be marketing te team to the 35,000+ students on campus. :)

Bearing Down on The Students Being Key Like They Used To Be 10-20 Years Ago

Auercat

PS The football apathy among the student body has permeated every single sport at the UA now. It's truly amazing the impact that this one sport has over the entire AD.

KingOfCats
06-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Auer, I agree that marketing to the students is the place to start, but the community at large does a surpisingly poor job of supporting the team compared to other sports. Softball packs the stadium for every game with virtually no student support.

I'd say that the ratio of students to non-students at baseball games is similar to the ratio at football. Both groups need to show up more for sure.

Irish27
06-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Auer, I agree that marketing to the students is the place to start, but the community at large does a surpisingly poor job of supporting the team compared to other sports. Softball packs the stadium for every game with virtually no student support. :roll:

The reason they pack the stadium is because all the old guys come out to watch the hot blondes play while they fantasize about them.

Seriously, you can blame the fans but you also have to blame the athletic department for their lack of promoting the team. They need to target the young kids. Get the little league teams ivolved. Also target families. If the kids have fun, they'll want to come back. It's cheaper to go see the Wildcats than it is the Sidewinders. Plus, you don't have to drive all the way to the south side.

wassupcats
06-09-2005, 01:18 AM
I still like and support Livengood completely.. this was the fans' problem for never showing up.

100% true. The whole reason the Cats dropped the regional bid is because they were afraid they wouldn't have anyone show up to the games just like the regular season. If he left though, it would devistate the program.

tstein7240
06-09-2005, 11:04 AM

While it works in the movies... real life is not "build it and they will come". Even the die hard fans on this board didn't show up in force (many said they went to 2-5 games this season... typically against good teams). In years past, die hard UA fans would possibly MISS only 2-5 games a season.

Beyond the die hard fan... the key to getting good attendence is appealing to the causal fan. For them, this is an afternoon/evening of entertainment.

The difference today is there more competition than ever for the entertainment dollar. UA Baseball competes against minor league ball, softball, movies, theater, dining out, Dirtbags, weekend road trips, hiking, amusement parks, Spring Fling, strip clubs...

It is the Athletic Department's responsiblity, WHICH LIVENGOOD RUNS, to make sure that the baseball team gets it's fair share of the entertainment dollar. Fans have many choices. Make them choose baseball.

I haven't been on campus for about 10 years, so I have no clue what effort has been made in Tucson. But I am assuming they are doing a piss poor job of marketing the team. In marketing, everyone knows about the 4 P's- product, price, placement and promotion. So... how does the team do in each of these categories????
Product- Top 10 team. Check
Price- Very reasonably priced for students and community. Check
Placement- Stadium is on campus, making it easy for student to come. Check (I have heard some complain about game time. THIS is something the AD can control if it is an issue)
Promotion- I don't know what has been done on this, but I have to assume it has fallen short since the other "P's" are taken care of.

What are they doing to promote the team?
- Does Lopez speak to schools to get kids excited?
- Do they promote the games on the PA at basketball games? Maybe introduce the players at the begining of the season to the captive basketball audience.
- Did their PR department get stories in the local papers at the BEGINING of the season? We had a team with 8 draft picks and a first round star. Were these guys household names? If not... blame the PR department. I remember being excited to see Scott Erickson, Trevor Hofffman, etc play in college... before they would be MLB stars. Did people in Tucson get excited to see Crowe?
- Do they make the in-game experience entertaining? Get people out there once and they better have a good time. (This is why minor league teams earn big bucks.... they work their butts off developing an awesome in-game experience)
- Do they market to the different groups on campus? Maybe "Business School Night", "fraternity-sorority night" or "Astronomy Club night". Get people out in mass early in the season, make sure they have a good time... and a group of them will come back.

Daryl Zero
06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I haven't read through this thread so forgive me if I repeat anything.

I used to go to games regularly in the 80's and there was always a pretty good crowd. There were more than just students, lots of older guys (like me now) who enjoyed baseball. The ASU games used to be packed. Arizona had great teams in the 80s including two NCs and very competative always. Through the 90s and the oughts (with probably a couple of years exceptions and now with Andy Lopez) the team has been bad for a long time. The games pretty well sucked. The games are often played at times which makes it difficult for working people to show up. The campus has not gotten any easier to access for parking etc.

I am not of the opinion that it is the public's fault when the University basically let this product go to shiite for years and years. Essentially, they lost a generation of fans. The people who live here lost track of the baseball team just as they have lost the football team. Bringing in a coach who has some short term success isn't automatically going to fill the stadium. There needs to be excitement about the team and the games. In the 80s there was the Ooh Aah Man who was just starting and groups of fans who watched from outside the park in certain areas. It was exciting and fun. I went to a couple of games this year and it was pretty boring. I loved UofA baseball and would love to see it return to glory. It is getting there but it will take marketing and continued success.

LikesMikey
06-09-2005, 05:51 PM
time to rebuild the fan base to what it was 20 years ago when they were constantly very good teams. You knew back then that every team was going to contend for a NC, so after 18 years of mediocre, at best, baseball teams I don't understand why everybody expects the multitudes of fans to just blindly come running back. Basketball was not the big draw then that it is now and for some people that's all they can afford to support as far as going to games.
Another reason the fans haven't come back is that college baseball gets raped of most of the good players by MLB offering insane money to these kids. There will never be the talent level today that there was 20 years ago. You will never see another Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds, Mark Mcquire, Bob Horner, Ron Hassey, Terry Francona type of talent in college again, they are offered too much money straight out of high school.

tstein7240
06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
time to rebuild the fan base to what it was 20 years ago when they were constantly very good teams. You knew back then that every team was going to contend for a NC, so after 18 years of mediocre, at best, baseball teams I don't understand why everybody expects the multitudes of fans to just blindly come running back. Basketball was not the big draw then that it is now and for some people that's all they can afford to support as far as going to games.
Another reason the fans haven't come back is that college baseball gets raped of most of the good players by MLB offering insane money to these kids. There will never be the talent level today that there was 20 years ago. You will never see another Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds, Mark Mcquire, Bob Horner, Ron Hassey, Terry Francona type of talent in college again, they are offered too much money straight out of high school.

Great points. This is why the AD needs to work to get fan butts in the seats. Obviously, other schools do it...since they were able to host a regional.

wassupcats
06-09-2005, 06:21 PM
I thought this thread was appropriate for this..

From AzAthletics..

Statements From Andy Lopez and Jim Livengood Regarding His Future at Arizona

Arizona Baseball Head Coach Andy Lopez -

“Contrary to published reports and rumors about my imminent departure from Arizona, I would like to firmly state my commitment to the university and to its baseball program.

“(Athletic Director) Jim Livengood and the administration at Arizona have made a commitment to me and my coaching staff, and in turn I have made one to them. I feel in the four years since I arrived at Arizona, the players and coaches have made significant strides in re-establishing the program as a nationally respected group. I have every desire to continue the groundwork we’ve laid so far and to recruit and field the type of student-athletes that will make not only the university and athletic department proud, but the city of Tucson as well.

“Over the 28 years that I have been a coach, I have learned that you can’t measure things by numbers. My wife and four children love living here and making Tucson our home, and to me that is more important than any other factor that could be considered.

“Additionally, I want our fans to understand how large of a role that they can play in helping the program to reach a higher level. By coming out to support your team, you not only get one of the best entertainment values in town, but a chance to see some very talented and special young men that will earn your respect and admiration through their hard play and the way they carry themselves as human beings off the field. By working together we can make Omaha and the College World Series a regular June destination for us all.”

Arizona Athletic Director Jim Livengood –

“I want to make it perfectly clear that Andy Lopez is the finest coach that there is in collegiate baseball today. We’re totally committed to him, his coaching staff, the student-athletes, the program and their collective efforts on the field, in the classroom and in the community.”

Class of 1990
06-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Non student tickets were $5. Kids were $2.

Concessions were reasonable.

The team was great.

You just gotta go.

Note on Hansen article today. Talked about opening Texas game only. The Saturday game also had over 4,000 and so did Sunday I think. I was at the Saturday game. Longhorn fans were there it was a great atmosphere. Bring in CalStateFullerton next season and the place will rock.

SnowCat
06-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Non student tickets were $5. Kids were $2.

Concessions were reasonable.

That's just inexcusable not to have excellent attendance. Daddy can take JR to a game for $7?

tstein7240
06-10-2005, 12:13 AM
That's just inexcusable not to have excellent attendance. Daddy can take JR to a game for $7?

The question is... does the AD PROMOTE this great family value?