PDA

View Full Version : australian punters the best or not, and maybe the only option for the 21st century

skippy,s dream
06-19-2005, 08:27 AM
As an other Australian Football League (AFL) player tries to make it in the NFL. It will be interesting to see if they can all take it to the next level and have NFL scouts consisently taking champions from our great game to emmulate the feats of Darren Bennett

"Aussie Darren Bennett, who turned a 78-game career with Melbourne Football Club into a punting career at the San Diego Chargers. Bennett, considered one of the NFLís all-time best punters, is still playing at 40"

An AFL player generally retires between 31-34 due to the physical and athletic nature of the post 90 changes, compared to a pre 90 game with babarity, strength and an absolute no fear nature that was needed to play at the elite level, when getting king hit, shirt fronted or just receiveing broken bones from a heavy tackling game, were every game occurence.

Maybe an added advantage to winning a superbowl in the 21st century could be an Australian punter

inserts
ben graham
darren bennett

Ben Hansen
06-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Stoops should fly down under to scoop up one of Daniel Dillon's mates to punt for UA since Baugher sucks.

mines_bigger
06-19-2005, 06:10 PM
I remember watching AFL on ESPN back in the 80s. Incredible game, but never did understand it.

skippy,s dream
06-19-2005, 06:11 PM
im not sure who is coming to the age where they would retire that i can think of but there are a few talented kickers in the league

the beauty of them is they can tackle as well and there arent scared

i cant remember when it was but i remember them saying about how darren bennett punted one day and the guy who cught it passed all the opposition players was heading for what should have ben a touchdown and darren bennett tackled him to save it:)

mines_bigger
06-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Baugher may not be the best punter, but I do recall a couple of good tackles he made.

skippy,s dream
06-19-2005, 06:14 PM
I remember watching AFL on ESPN back in the 80s. Incredible game, but never did understand it.

most people say that who arent not from australia, even in the states of queensland and new south wales which are predominently rugby league states dont understand it they call it aerial ping pong

but once u do its a great game to watch

skippy,s dream
06-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Baugher may not be the best punter, but I do recall a couple of good tackles he made.

i dont get to see it alot i dont have cable and we dont get it on free to air but whhen i was younger i used to watch it alot when the 49ers where on fire with steve young