PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals agree to terms with Boldin on six-year, $23.5 million extension

Class of 1990
08-01-2005, 12:00 AM
The Cards may finally understand that you have to pay talent.
Now about Warner ???

Boldin (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cardinals-boldin&prov=ap&type=lgns)

PRESCOTT, Ariz. (AP) -- Wide receiver Anquan Boldin signed a contract extension with the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday and reported for training camp on time, anxious to put months of uncertainty behind him and get on with his spectacular career.

``That's the most important part,'' the 2003 NFL offensive rookie of the year said. ``I can go into practice with a clear conscience now.''

His new deal is for $23.5 million over six years, including raises and bonuses that will pay him $12.42 million more over the remaining years of his original contract than what he had coming.

The deal has annual salaries of $1.5 million this season, followed by $1.75 million, $2 million, $2.5 million, $2.75 million and $3 million over the next five years. It includes signing bonuses of $5 million this year and $5 million in 2006.

Under the contract he signed as a second-round draft pick two years ago, Boldin would have made $380,000 this season and $450,000 next season.

Boldin, signed through the 2010 season, saw promise in the Cardinals' willingness to renegotiate.

``We're headed in the right direction, I think,'' he said. ``You know, we're taking care of players better, taking care of business on the field, getting in good guys through free agency. Like I said, I think the organization has turned around for the better.''

Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner, one of the newcomers through free agency, was pleased to have a target like Boldin in the spread offense of new offensive coordinator Keith Rowen.

``Obviously you're excited about it,'' Warner said. ``He's such an integral part of what we're going to do and the success we're going to have, so it's nice. You hear all the stuff over the last few weeks about people possibly holding out, and you never want that.

``You want all your pieces there the first day back so you can start reaching your goals.''

Boldin, represented by agent Drew Rosenhaus, missed a minicamp in the spring because he wanted a more favorable deal, especially in light of the much larger contract given to fellow wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, last year's first-round pick.

Two seasons ago, Boldin set an NFL rookie record with 101 receptions, tying the team mark for any receiver. Only one rookie in league history -- Bill Groman of the 1960 Houston Oilers -- had more yards receiving than Boldin's 1,377.

Last year, Boldin injured his right knee early in training camp, underwent arthroscopic surgery and missed the first six games. He wound up with 56 catches for 623 yards and one touchdown.

No player in NFL history has had more catches in his first 26 games than Boldin's 157.

``We're very excited that we got the contract extension completed on Anquan Boldin,'' coach Dennis Green said. ``As we said before, Anquan is a priority with us, that he deserved (a contract), that he was going to get one.''

Although Rosenhaus has a reputation for holding players out during confrontational negotiations, Boldin said he never considered missing camp.

``Even if I didn't have a new deal, I'd still be up here in camp,'' he said. ``I'd still be working, because that's my job.''

Class of 1990
08-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Roto (http://fantasyfootball.rotoworld.com/content/home_nfl.asp?sport=NFL)

Cardinals signed RB J.J. Arrington, a second-round pick, to a four-year contract.
Already listed as the team's starter, Arrington should rack up at least 225 carries in his rookie year. He's a great RB3 pick in the late third or fourth round. Whether he proves worth more depends on how coach Dennis Green chooses to use teammate Marcel Shipp. Jul. 31 - 7:27 pm et

JMarkJohns
08-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Two huge moves.

I'm dying from the JJ trade (for the Suns), so I'm not as energetic, but these deals mean a great deal for the Cardinals future. Damn it. How the hell does the Bidwells spend money and not Sarvar? Un-freakin'-believable!

Get Rolle signed and win the division.

ice
08-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Man, I'm still pissed that the Dolphins ex-coach, dumbass Dave Wannstedt, decided to against against Rick Speilman and picked Eddie Moore over Anquan Boldin. Man, I'm so happy that guy can't ruin my team anymore.

Class of 1990
08-10-2005, 01:29 AM
Cards sign 1st round pick and other notes (http://fantasyfootball.rotoworld.com/content/home_nfl.asp?sport=NFL)

Timmy Chang - QB - ARZ

Cardinals released QB Timmy Chang.
The state of Hawaii is crushed. It appears Dennis Green is comfortable going with only three quarterbacks, even this early in training camp. Aug. 9 - 7:41 pm et

Larry Croom - RB - ARZ

Cardinals released running backs Larry Croom and Roger Robinson.
Croom had 18 carries in a week 13 game and nearly started the next week because of a Emmitt Smith injury. Smith got healthy, and Croom didn't touch the ball again all season. Aug. 9 - 7:39 pm et

Andy Stokes - TE - ARZ

Cardinals claimed TE Andy Stokes off waivers from the Patriots.
This year's ''Mr. Irrelevent'' will get another chance in the desert. Aug. 9 - 7:36 pm et

Antrel Rolle - DB - ARZ

Cardinals signed CB Antrel Rolle, the ninth pick of the NFL Draft, to a six-year contract.
Terms were not released, but Rolle is the first rookie besides Alex Smith to sign for six years. Rolle is expected to be a week one starter and a key part of Arizona's underrated secondary