PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Jason Scheer
08-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Whenever I see a holdout I wonder how I would handle it. Today's holdout situation I present is Cedric Benson. What you do? let him sit out the season? Sign him to a large contract? Or kill him?

bleedzgreen
08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
how do we know its his fault....it's more than likely that his agent is calling the shots.

if he holds out, you move on without him. there are, by now 66 other players on that team not named benson, two of which are very decent backs already.

the bears have bigger problems, especially at QB. Benson at this point has already lost at least the first 6 games of the season. He has not practiced, only has a snippet of the playbook and doesnt have football legs.

so answer your question...none of the above, the team will move on.

JMarkJohns
08-27-2005, 06:42 PM
The agent and Benson know the Bears have nothing. Therefore, they opperate from a position of strength. If Benson holds out this year and reenters next year, he won't lose anything and may actually go higher. Granted, the Bears may be the one picking him with the #1 overall selection, but hey, either way, right?

Just pay the kid.

bleedzgreen
08-27-2005, 07:40 PM
theres not that much difference going higher than 4th and a year away from football is not a good idea...see marice clarett...mike williams is still a question.

the #1 pick is Lienart...then probably reggie bush(co-hiesmans, but another topic)...gawd USC is scarry.

the kid should be grateful he is in this situation and i hope the bears do nothing about it.

JMarkJohns
08-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Why should Benson sign? He's a great running back. He's arguably the best and most ready of the big three.

If he sits out, he'll be either the 2nd or 3rd pick in the next draft. Maybe higher, depending on the team picking (like San Francisco, blah, blah, blah...)

He's not asking for that much more. He holds all the cards. Runningbacks have just one big contract, for the most part. he's making sure he gets his. No prollem on my end.

If Chicago, who desperately needs the kid, is unwilling to bring him in, then it's on them. He's not asking for #1 money. He's not even asking for #1 RB money. He's asking for third pick money since he's areguably the better player between he and Edwards and will make more impact while having a bigger, more career-threatoning role.

Look at James in Indy. He's still young and he can't get a worthy offer to save his life. Alexander in Seattle is another. You get what you can while the gettin' is hot.

Chicago needs him more than he needs Chicago.

End of story.

That is why if they get him, it'll be on his terms.

Which are NOT unreasonable, considering.

cactuscat62
08-27-2005, 09:49 PM
I think Parker (Agent), and Benson know exactly what their doing. They know they have the Bears by the balls. When they lost Grossman, the Bears offense took yet another blow to an already flat offense. It's gotta be a huge frustration for a Bears team in need of talent, which was the worst in the league last season and has ranked among the bottom 10 five years in a row.

At issue is Benson's value as the No. 4 pick. The No. 3 pick, receiver Braylon Edwards, signed with Cleveland for $18.5 million in guaranteed money. The No. 5 pick, Tampa Bay's Cadillac Williams, got $15.1 million in guaranteed money. The Bears reportedly are offering about $17 million in guaranteed pay. Another complicating factor is last year's No. 4 pick, San Diego's Philip Rivers, got a larger-than-normal deal for that spot in the draft because he is a quarterback.

The Bears have remained steadfast that the current five-year offer, with $16 million to $17 million guaranteed, is their "best and final.'' No new proposals have been exchanged, and Angelo has threatened to lower the club's offer, but has not provided a timetable for such tactics.The Bears said they plan to decrease the deal, expected to be around $17 million guaranteed for the first three years, if Benson doesn’t sign soon.

It's difficult to say what the next move is for Benson. Putting his Lake County house on the market could have been a last-ditch negotiating ploy.

UofAcat23
08-27-2005, 10:08 PM
After reading the thread title, I could really go for a Klondike Bar :(.

Jason Scheer
08-28-2005, 01:32 AM
With the way Alex SMith and Aaron Rodgers are playing maybe he should ask for more money

alieberman
08-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Why should Benson sign? He's a great running back. He's arguably the best and most ready of the big three.

If he sits out, he'll be either the 2nd or 3rd pick in the next draft. Maybe higher, depending on the team picking (like San Francisco, blah, blah, blah...)

He's not asking for that much more. He holds all the cards. Runningbacks have just one big contract, for the most part. he's making sure he gets his. No prollem on my end.

If Chicago, who desperately needs the kid, is unwilling to bring him in, then it's on them. He's not asking for #1 money. He's not even asking for #1 RB money. He's asking for third pick money since he's areguably the better player between he and Edwards and will make more impact while having a bigger, more career-threatoning role.

Look at James in Indy. He's still young and he can't get a worthy offer to save his life. Alexander in Seattle is another. You get what you can while the gettin' is hot.

Chicago needs him more than he needs Chicago.

End of story.

That is why if they get him, it'll be on his terms.

Which are NOT unreasonable, considering.

I totally disagree with just about all of this. The Bears are offering a fair deal equal to the slot in which he was selected. He wants 3rd pick money, but he was selected 4th. This is how the NFL works. That's why it takes so long for rookies to get signed but then once one goes it's like a domino effect, where it becomes obvious what the contract is going to be.

The Bears aren't going to budge on this. They have 2 good running backs and now they have another rookie who has become priority #1 with Orton today being named their starting QB.

If Benson decides to re-enter the draft it will hurt his draft stock being gone for a year and also GM's will be afraid to negotiate with him. He will not go 2 or 3 next year.

In my opinion he needs to get his ass signed more than the Bears need to cave into him.

bhanson
08-28-2005, 07:20 PM
I agree with Lieberman, whose to say he won't do the same thing next year if he doesn't get as drafted as high as he wants.

ZONACAT
08-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Lieberman,

If the Bears felt they already had their RB position filled, than why did they waste a top 5 draft pick on him when they have so many other needs? Just give Ced what he wants because after all, a majority of his contract is not guaranteed, so just cut him in a few years if you do not like what you see. Letting him walk for nothing though sends a bad sign to the fans and has the ability to cripple a organization.

alieberman
08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Lieberman,

If the Bears felt they already had their RB position filled, than why did they waste a top 5 draft pick on him when they have so many other needs? Just give Ced what he wants because after all, a majority of his contract is not guaranteed, so just cut him in a few years if you do not like what you see. Letting him walk for nothing though sends a bad sign to the fans and has the ability to cripple a organization.

The Bears want to use both Ced and Thomas Jones together. And he won't walk. I expect that he will sign sometime this coming week and it won't be for more than they are offering right now.

Jason Scheer
08-28-2005, 09:09 PM
You dont draft a runningback in the top five because you are fully confident in your rb situation.

JMarkJohns
08-28-2005, 10:11 PM
This isn't a Clarrett or even Mike Williams situation. Each of those had knocks against them. Clarrett, his size, physical strength and attitude and Williams, his breakaway speed and ability to utilize his size across the middle.

The only reason Benson wasn't the first back off the board is that Brown is such a physical freak. He's just imposing. But Benson will be the better of the two. He's taylor made. He's got everything you could ask for in a back.

With the way great backs are being held-off and treated (like James and Alexander), Benson is making sure he gets what he wants in the only contract he's ever guaranteed.

I get what you all are saying, but his requests aren't unreasonable and for the Bears to draft the kid, then lose him would be far worse than any hit Benson takes.

Benson played his hand right from the very beginning, cutting his locks so to avoid Ricky Williams comparisons, then arguably being the best back at every workout, combine.

He has #1 back potential and will be better than Edwards this season and every season thereafter while playing a position where he could be done on any given play.

Bears need him, no matter their backup situation. I seem to recall a Chicago RB stinking the joint up just one season after being the toast of the town (Anthony Thomas), so having seen Thomas Jones for years, that's very possible again.

I just want to get something straight, though...

If Benson is better than this year's third pick, Edwards (in stats and impact) and arguably better than last year's fourth pick (Rivers who should not have went that high), but gets paid less than both, how is this right?

Hold firm Benson!

JMarkJohns
08-28-2005, 10:19 PM
hahaha

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) - Running back Cedric Benson ended his 36-day holdout Sunday night, agreeing to a five-year contract with the Chicago Bears.

Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in this year's draft, was the last remaining first-round pick to sign. Terms were not available but reports said the Bears had offered a contract that contained $17 million in guaranteed money to the former Texas star.

No word on pay...

My guess, is the 17 million is still guaranteed, but more incentives early in the contract that could raise that total.

alieberman
08-28-2005, 10:30 PM
This isn't a Clarrett or even Mike Williams situation. Each of those had knocks against them. Clarrett, his size, physical strength and attitude and Williams, his breakaway speed and ability to utilize his size across the middle.

The only reason Benson wasn't the first back off the board is that Brown is such a physical freak. He's just imposing. But Benson will be the better of the two. He's taylor made. He's got everything you could ask for in a back.

With the way great backs are being held-off and treated (like James and Alexander), Benson is making sure he gets what he wants in the only contract he's ever guaranteed.

I get what you all are saying, but his requests aren't unreasonable and for the Bears to draft the kid, then lose him would be far worse than any hit Benson takes.

Benson played his hand right from the very beginning, cutting his locks so to avoid Ricky Williams comparisons, then arguably being the best back at every workout, combine.

He has #1 back potential and will be better than Edwards this season and every season thereafter while playing a position where he could be done on any given play.

Bears need him, no matter their backup situation. I seem to recall a Chicago RB stinking the joint up just one season after being the toast of the town (Anthony Thomas), so having seen Thomas Jones for years, that's very possible again.

I just want to get something straight, though...

If Benson is better than this year's third pick, Edwards (in stats and impact) and arguably better than last year's fourth pick (Rivers who should not have went that high), but gets paid less than both, how is this right?

Hold firm Benson!

What was the knock against Mike Williams?

1st of all it's not like Benson is unquestionably the #1 back in the draft. In fact many people in Chicago were angry Benson was chosen over C. Williams. In any case R. Brown, C. Williams and C. Benson were all very close but it just so happens Benson was the 2nd back taken and is due to get 2nd back money.... which is what the Bears are offering.

As far as how fair is it that if Benson has better stats than Edwards that he will be making less. How fair is it that C. Villanueva will be making more money than Channing Frye? It's not but he was drafted before him and that's just the way it goes.

It is true that the Bears need him. Having both Benson and Jones in the backfield will take pressure off of Orton and I do hope they get it resolved soon.

Take the money and play Benson!

alieberman
08-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks for listening Ced!!

Go Bears!!!

JMarkJohns
08-28-2005, 10:39 PM
For the money question, it's not, but the NBA has their system and the NFL has theirs and in the NFL system, with all the cards that teams hold once a player is signed, I'm not going to bash a player for trying to get past low-ball offers or even slotted offers (in this case) when the player is clearly better than the money being offered.

If Rivers gets near #1 money for being the fourth pick chosen, then Benson should get 3rd pick money when he's arguably better than both Rivers and Edwards.

It's the same NFL logic that allows teams to cut contracted players, thus terminating the contract.

It's all about hand.

George knows.

"I had hand!!! I had Hand!!!!"
- Costanza, "Seinfeld"

In this case, Benson had it. Now signed, he the Bears' puppet. He best show up real fast-like, because he's already running on the wrong foot. A slow start (as in two or three years) or injury and everything he held out for could be cut.

Jason Scheer
08-28-2005, 10:41 PM
I would also figure it is 17 guaranteed with an incentive or two and wouldn't be surprised if it was loaded early

bleedzgreen
08-29-2005, 05:30 PM
bears signed him today with $17 mil. in guaranteed money...

Hope he doesnt end up to be big busts like all the other running backs in chicago not named Payton.