PDA

View Full Version : The Don's Picks Of The Week (Week 1)

TucsonDon
09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
1) Oakland @ New England...9/8...9:00 EST
Spread: New England -7.5
Pick: Patriots 38 Raiders 21
Words: How else would a team going for 3 in a row begin the season, but on national TV in the 1st regular season game. What I don't get is why every year people continue to pick against the Patriots directly in the face of good judgement. Sure this is a different team than the one which dusted off the Eagles in last season's finale, but if you look at what New England did to the best teams in the AFC last year, it is easy to see why they are the odds on favorite to repeat...again. They destroyed their closest competition in Pittsburgh and Indy in the playoffs, and expect them to come out breathing fire again this year against a new look Raider team.

2) New York Jets @ Kansas City...9/11...1:00 EST
Spread: Kansas City -3
Pick: Chiefs 41 Jets 31
Words: While the Jets have been a darkhorse pick for some to make the Super Bowl this year, I like what Kansas City has done to improve their team as well. The much maligned Chief defense added all-pro CB Patrick Surtain, drafted All-American LB Derrick Johnson, and picked up another stud in the middle in Kendrell Bell from Pittsburgh. The offense brings back a healthy Priest Holmes, and one of the loudest stadiums in the league will provide some assistance as the Chiefs take down the Jets on Sunday afternoon.

3) Arizona @ New York Giants...9/11/...4:00 EST
Spread: New York -2
Pick: Giants 24 Cardinals 20
Words: On paper it appears as though the traditionally bottom-dwelling Cardinals will be much improved this season, but as we all know, games aren't played on paper; they're played inside a television screen. Don't be fooled, they are still the Cardinals, and they still will have trouble doing the little things it takes to win football games, and that includes finding a way to lose your opener in a hostile environment at the Meadowlands. Eli Manning looks to make the same jump in his 2nd year under center that brother Peyton did for the Colts, and he has a new target, the talented Plaxico Burress. Bottom line is, these may be the new look Cardinals, but I have a hard time believing they go to New York and win in week 1.

4) Green Bay @ Detroit...9/11...4:00 EST
Spread: Green Bay +3
Pick: Packers 27 Lions 20
Words: When you look at the Detroit Lions offense, you see the most talented collection of young skill players in football. So why then do they have such issues moving the ball up and down the field? As much as I want to root for Joey Harrington, I believe the guilt lies with him, and if he doesn't get it done this year, he's going to have to find himself another job. Between Kevin Jones at RB, the collection of Charlie Rodgers, Mike Williams and Roy Williams on the outside, and all-pro Marcus Pollard at TE, they better score some points this year. But since I haven't seen it yet, I'm going to have to wait until at least week 2 to pick the Lions, especially when you know for a fact that #4 on the other side is going to start the season swinging.

5) St. Louis @ San Francisco...9/11...4:00 EST
Spread: St. Louis -4.5
Pick: Rams 34 49ers 17
Words: While I did not like the Robert Thomas trade the Rams just executed with the Packers (we feel Thomas is a much better LB than Brandon Chillar, his replacement) I think the Rams are going to have a very fine year, and go deep into the playoffs. Marc Bulger has become one of the league's most efficient QB's, and with the transition from Marshall Faulk to Steven Jackson seemingly running very smoothly, I think the Rams are a dangerous team this season. The 49ers, meanwhile, are absolutely miserable, and will have a terrible season whether Tim Rattay or Alex Smith is under center.

MinorThreat22
09-09-2005, 04:10 PM
so far so good.

JMarkJohns
09-11-2005, 07:36 PM
3-2... not bad. Of the games you picked I went 2-3 (Detroit, New England as wins) in the office pool.

I didn't do to great...

So far, 6-8 with Indianapolis and Atlanta to go... I think from what I remember reading, someone (from work) is 10-4 with those same two teams, so I stand no chance...

EDIT: We don't do spreads, just straight winner/loser.

Don, if you don't mind I'll start to post my winner/loser in your weekly thread. They'll suck, so it'll make yours look that much better :)