PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Marty...

Auercat
09-11-2005, 08:39 PM
For being a jerk-off and suspending Antiono Gates for today's game. Nice way to start the season by not having the guy who takes your entire offense to another level. Thanks for making another in the long line of brilliant decisions. :angry:

Bearing Down on Credit To The Cowboys For Winning, But They Can Thank Marty For Being A Jack@ss And Giving Them a Big Assist :mad:

Auercat

PS The refereeing in that game was also atrocioous. The last 2 3rd down penalties on the Chargers on Dallas' game winning drive were a joke. Is it me or do the NFL refs get worse every year? :fur:

Embrodak
09-11-2005, 09:30 PM
gates brought it upon himself by whining about his contract.

and your whining doesn't help either.

BallinestCat27
09-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Gates may have whined, but he has a huge case in wanting a new contract. Sets the record for TDs by an NFL Tight End and he's getting paid like he's a backup TE.

Auercat
09-11-2005, 10:17 PM
The point is that the team did give him the new contract that he deserved. To punish him after the fact is unfair to Gates, the rest of the team and the fans. It was simply Marty being puntative for the very sake of being said. :mad:

Bearing Down on Penalizing Gates For Being Right? :confused: :angry:

Auercat

CG Cat
09-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Yea I was pretty upset about Gates being suspended. I`m a Charger fan so seeing them lose to the Cowgirls when they should've won even without Gates really pisses me off. I didn't get to see the game(thank you Crudnals), but I saw the stats and LT didn't do much today at all. And Brees wasn't nearly as good as last year today. Peelle totally sucks nuts. Basically without Gates everybody on the team got worse today. I can't wait for him to get back next week so the Chargers can get back to the playoffs. Also the ineptness of the front office to go out and sign a decent SS and another good CB showed off big time today. The Chargers had one of the best cap situations in the league this last offseason and instead of letting some of the crap players we have go they resigned them and made only 1 offseason FA aquisition. That aquisition was Bwahoh Jue. LMFAO at that one. We could've also used a good D lineman to get some passrush. All of the sacks today were by the linebackers.

bleedzgreen
09-11-2005, 10:24 PM
he wants to get paid...fine. But dont stop being a mbr of a team and holdout while still under the original contract he signed. These grown men, professionals are acting like kids that cant get there way. Leave business to be done by agents and the front office. He is a player and needs to be doing his work to make himself(he isnt perfect just because of one season or two) and his team better.

Jason Scheer
09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
He barely missed any time if I am mistaken. The dude broke records and was the man right with Tomlinson. He deserved money and the Chargers choked. Do you also know that me missed a flight and tried to reschedule but couldn't? He even had the decency to call the Chargers and they admitted as much. Then they suspend him and the day after he signs the contract. The Chargers really handled this poorly

Jason Scheer
09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Also SD had four straight incompletions inside the ten and it was obvious Brees was in need of Gates.

bleedzgreen
09-11-2005, 10:47 PM
charges did everthing within their right...he missed all but 2 wks of preseason, I recall...

how do you not get a flight into San Diego...or LA?..."an excuse?...there's no excuses in football." I dont think any other Organization would tolerate tardiness.

The charges didnt punish him, Gates broke the rules...suspension was the consequence.

Jason Scheer
09-11-2005, 10:54 PM
What was initially a quiet holdout twisted and turned fiercely as it came to a close. And yesterday, in its first day as history, its details were muddied.

Antonio Gates dropped a few bombs as he faced the media before practicing with his team for the first time this summer.

Standing in front of a bank of cameras and recorders, a day after signing a one-year contract, Gates said he would have met the Chargers' 12:30 p.m. Saturday deadline to report had he been able to catch a flight from Detroit in time. Further, he said he and the Chargers would continue negotiations on a multiyear contract even if talks run into the season.

Both missives were news to his agent, who had said quite the opposite over the weekend. Andre Colona, the agent, explained Gates' statements as an emotional reaction.

"San Diego is definitely his first choice to play for," Colona said. "He loves San Diego. In talking to the media, a lot of his comments were very emotional, because he really likes it there.

"He also knows negotiating is a business, and when he looks at going to free agency he realizes there's a chance he might not be back in San Diego. So he definitely spoke with a lot of emotion."

A Chargers spokesman said the team did not hear Saturday that Gates was on his way.

Colona had said Saturday that he and his client discussed just that day Gates returning to San Diego. And Colona also said negotiations will cease once the season begins.

Yesterday, Gates smiled wide as he spoke of his delight at being back with his team. At one point he responded to a question about missing the deadline.

"I tried to come in Saturday," Gates said. "I couldn't get a flight. We ended up calling and explaining we weren't going to be in Saturday. It wasn't my intention to miss the deadline."

The Chargers would have had no control over extending the deadline a day, as it is the NFL's collective bargaining agreement that mandates a player placed on the Roster Exempt List must report the day before his team's second preseason game. Due to his inclusion on the Exempt List, Gates must miss three games, including the team's season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

"They made a decision and they wanted to stick by their decision," Gates said of the Chargers placing him on the Roster Exempt List. "I didn't feel upset about the situation. I thought it could have been done in different ways, but for the most part I want to move forward."

Gates also said he spoke with General Manager A.J. Smith.

"It was a clear understanding (that) they wanted me here, and I wanted to be here," Gates said. "We're on the same page. I want to be here long-term. I want to be a San Diego Charger, and I'm quite sure something is going to get done."

Evidently, no matter how long that takes.

"We're not far apart," Gates said. "The door is definitely open for negotiation, and things are going perfectly fine. I'm quite sure something will get done. I'm here on good faith something will get done."

Of more immediate concern is that the Cowboys no longer have to worry about Gates, the Chargers' leading receiver and a Pro Bowler in 2004.

"You lose the matchups available to you," Marty Schottenheimer said.

He spoke of the mismatches having a gifted pass catcher such as Gates present when another team has to assign a defensive back to him or risk having a linebacker cover him or LaDainian Tomlinson.

Gates later went through a light practice with teammates. His first full workout will come today, though Schottenheimer said Gates would take it somewhat slow for a week.

Gates said he was fit, but not exactly football fit.

"No matter what you're doing (working out away from the team), it's nothing like going against Igor (Olshansky)," Gates said. "I think it will take awhile, but I'm definitely ready to work hard and get back in shape."

Nuts 'n' bolts

bleedzgreen
09-12-2005, 12:35 AM
he did sign a long term deal, right?...something like 6 yrs...?

He would have made the difference in the game and I bet he feels that way too...he shouldve showed up on time. I feel he let his team down.

Morgan
09-12-2005, 02:51 AM
Gates wasn't under Contract during the holdout, this isn't a TO situation. Gates also said he wasn't going to miss any games and would eventually show up. The Chargers tried to force his hand and he didn't blink and so they suspended him. I think AJ "the A-Hole" Smith deserves the blame. He is lucky to have a job after the first few seasons he put together. He is lucky that Phillip Rivers held out for more than half of training camp and they were forced to start Drew Bres. Nobody in SD believed in Bres and he put together a GREAT 1st half of '04 (the second half was more average than the 1st). Smith dropped the hammer on Gates because he wants to show who is boss. Well nice job big fella. Your 2nd best player would have helped for those 4 plays inside the 10 and everyone knew it would come down to that with Gates out didn't they? Chargers probably will miss the playoffs by one game now as well.

tstein7240
09-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Thank you Marty for being a jerk-off and suspending Antiono Gates for today's game.

Agreed 100%! A big thank you to Marty from all the happy Dallas Cowboy fans :)

Chicat
09-12-2005, 10:33 AM
The San Diego front office is a joke. 3 out of the last 4 years their #1 pick has held out the longest of any other franchise, and they've always been really bad about giving loyal players the contracts they deserve. In my opinion, you reap what you sow, and the Chargers are reaping what their front office has sown up to this point.

WildcatPaulG
09-18-2005, 08:04 PM
It's time to fire Marty. I thought it was time to fire Marty after he ran off "Charger For Life" Junior Seau. If a guy with that much loyalty to a franchise wants a trade because he doesn't like the coach, you fire the f*cking coach.

Marty needs to go now.

CG Cat
09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
I would rather fire the offensive coordinator for now. Did anyone else think the playcalling today by Cam Cameron in the Broncos game was to predictable? Nearly everytime we ran on first, threw on second, threw on third. The one time in the second half this sequence didn't happen was the drive which got the FG to tie the game. But it did happen on that drive toward the end when we had to kick the FG instead of getting TD possibly. Cameron was a dunce at Indiana and personally I don't think he's to much better as a OC in the NFL. If that doesn't work Marty should go as well. I said after the season 2 years ago he should be gone but the Chargers had such a good season last year that I started to believe in him. If we don't win next week that belief in him will be gone. Of course both games we lost were tremendously tough losses. Should've won them both actually.