PDA

View Full Version : Javon Walker-Karma is a *****

Jason Scheer
09-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Packers receiver Javon Walker's season hangs in the balance after he injured his right knee in the third quarter against Detroit on Sunday.

"It was his ACL," Packers coach Mike Sherman said after the Lions won 17-3.

Sherman said the team will not know how serious the injury is until Walker has an MRI on Monday, although the Green Bay Post-Gazette is reporting that Walker is expected to miss the rest of the season.

Walker was hurt when he caught a 55-yard pass -- negated by a pass-interference call against him -- and was tackled by safety Terrence Holt.

As Walker lay on the turf, he grabbed his right knee. After trainers attended to him for a few minutes, he gingerly walked toward the bench. He was later taken to the locker room on a cart, once shaking his head from side to side. He did not return to the game.

Walker, Green Bay's top receiver, had four receptions for 27 yards against Detroit. He extended his streak with a catch to 38 games, including playoffs.

After threatening to hold out of training camp for a new contract, Walker reported. He said the best way to prove his worth wasn't to withhold his services, but to put his talents back on display.

He's due $515,000 this season, the fourth of a five-year deal he signed in 2002 for $7.485 million. The Packers refused his agent's overtures for a hefty pay raise or to shop him around.

Walker was Green Bay's MVP last season and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl. In his third season, he led the team with 89 receptions for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdown receptions, all career highs.

Itamicbomb
09-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Son of a...

My fantasy season: :flush

JMarkJohns
09-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I wonder if Favre feels any remorse for calling him out. Now Favre sees why. Not every player has the luck and good fortune to avoid serious injury. He was holding out for pro-bowl money, was called out to return to camp and is now potentially screwed.

Favre should be ponyin' up some doe for his "go to" guy...

Mustache Man
09-12-2005, 01:36 AM
This is yet another example of why NFL players should never be faulted for trying to get as much money as they can when they have the leverage to do so.

ice
09-12-2005, 02:16 AM
I don't think Walker was ever in the wrong. The truth is that his contract severly underpaid him and that he deserved a lot more money, and as Mustache Man said, stuff like this is why players should try to get as much as they can when they can.

Besides, I find it funny that guys get all mad at football players for trying to make more money. Is what they are doing any worse than when someone making an average salary leaves his or her job for another one because the new one pays a few thousand more a year? In my mind, it is the same thing, the only difference being that there is more money involved when it comes to football players. In some cases, holdouts are ridiculous, but in Walker's case, it wasn't (and he didn't really holdout anyway.)

Morgan
09-12-2005, 02:57 AM
This is yet another example of why NFL players should never be faulted for trying to get as much money as they can when they have the leverage to do so.

This is 100% correct. I wouldn't be suprised to see TO hold out of week 2 (I'm joking but only partially). I guarantee Rosenhaus will bring this up in his next interview. Farve looks like a total jackass.

JMarkJohns
09-12-2005, 04:18 AM
Hey, you guys are stealin' my thunder!!! :)

I said "shame on you, Favre" first!!! I got dibs... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think any player getting under market value has the right to hold-out in the NFL. Here today, gone tomarrow. Nothing is guaranteed, 'cept that signing bonus and you gotta fight like hell to get as much as you can out of it.

I thought Owens had a gripe but went about it wrong (calling out players, coaches). I know Walker was right on. He's a pro-bowl receiver and an intregral part of the offense (according to Favre and today's total score), yet he's making $500,000?

Favre makes more than that in a game. Favre really should pny up some mula for the kid. Afterall, it was he that laid the first blow to the kid, cutting off the legs he stood on.

JMarkJohns
09-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Pack it up, turn out the lights...

Nothin' more to see.

Walker tears ACL, to miss rest of season
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Javon Walker, the Green Bay Packers' best receiver, will miss the rest of the season after tearing up his right knee in the opener.

Javon Walker
Wide Receiver
Green Bay Packers

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
4 27 0 6.8 9 0

Walker will need an operation once the swelling subsides to repair the torn anterior cruciate ligament and will require between eight and 12 months of rehabilitation.

"Talking to him last night, he's very positive and upbeat about it, understands what's ahead of him and is planning on breaking all kinds of records on getting back sooner," coach Mike Sherman said Monday.

Walker was hurt in the third quarter of the Packers' 17-3 loss at Detroit on Sunday when he pushed off safety Terrence Holt on a 55-yard catch that was negated by his offensive interference.

Walker, who made the Pro Bowl last season after catching 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns, threatened to hold out this year if the final two years of his contract weren't renegotiated. But he showed up in training camp on time, saying he wanted to prove he was worthy of a blockbuster contract through his play.

The risk, of course, was suffering a serious injury that would limit his earning power -- just like the one he suffered Sunday, when he caught four passes for 27 yards.

He's due $515,000 this season, the fourth of a five-year deal he signed in 2002 for $7.485 million.

When he was threatening to hold out, agent Drew Rosenhaus said he couldn't let Walker risk his health for that kind of money, but Walker said he couldn't fathom missing any games in a contract dispute.

With Walker down, Robert Ferguson will start alongside Donald Driver, who will move from split end to flanker. Ferguson is the Packers' best special teams player, but might be taken off those units now, Sherman said.

Also, second-round draft pick Terrence Murphy, who missed much of training camp with a knee injury, will be force-fed the offense so he can serve as the No. 4 receiver behind kick returner Antonio Chatman.

Walker's injury is a serious blow to the Packers and quarterback Brett Favre, whose team had never been held to as few as three points in any of his 226 consecutive starts, counting playoffs.

"I don't think there's going to be desperation in the locker room. There's disappointment for him personally and for our team," Sherman said. "But you have to be able to move on."

It really is a shame. Went about things in a right fashion and gets the shaft.