PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook commits to Memphis

Jason Scheer
09-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Want to go in order and rip the kid?

Former Chandler High guard Lawrence Westbrook has committed to play collegiately at Memphis.

Westbrook, who set a single-season state scoring record (40.1 points a game) last basketball season as a junior, is playing his senior year at a prep academy in Massachusetts. Westbrook, who is 6 feet, will play both guard positions at Memphis, where he'll play under John Calipari, who has taken teams to six NCAA Tournament appearances in 12 seasons as a college coach.

"They felt comfortable with each other," said Larry Westbrook, Lawrence's father. "He wants him on the ball (point guard) and off of the ball (at shooting guard).

"He wanted to go where the best opportunity to play is."

Westbrook is getting an early start on what life away from home is by staying at a boarding school. Larry runs a business in the Valley, but he said he will try to see as many of his son's games as he can this basketball season.

Westbrook also received interest from Syracuse, Oklahoma, Southern California and Arizona State, the elder Westbrook said.

Josh Gershon
09-16-2005, 06:19 AM
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone then you should say nothing at all... with that said, Westbrook and Memphis are a perfect fit. :)

I'll talk about how he's my least favorite high school player that I've ever watched some other time.

Jason Scheer
09-16-2005, 06:36 AM
I'll talk about how he's my least favorite high school player that I've ever watched some other time.

Seems to be a somewhat common theme..

DCCat
09-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Speaking of physically talented Arizona HS players who have had trouble finding a home, Ty Morrison is being touted by some as the #1 JC player in the country this year. He seems to have matured a bit and will be selecting from UW, Oregon, and Missouri, with UW the supposed leader. I don't know whether Q's commitment to UW will affect his decision, since he seems interested in coming into a situation where he can be the man at the wing immediately and can be one and done. Of course, if he has the kind of JC season some predict for him, he might declare for the draft after this season.

CarryOn
09-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Guess who's back on the board a mere three days after going off the board?

You got it.

Stay tuned for another episode of: "The Babbling Westbrooks..."

http://joanongovernment.homestead.com/files/whacky038.gif

Westbrook Back on Board

By Jeff Goodman National Recruiting Analyst
Date: Sep 18, 2005

Lawrence Westbrook is back on the board. After giving Memphis a verbal commitment, he's decided to to re-open his recruitment.

Lawrence Westbrook is back on the board.
The 6-foot, 190-pound Winchendon (Mass.) senior guard, who gave Memphis a verbal commitment last week, has opted to re-open his recruitment.

``They still have a scholarship offer on the table,” Westbrook’s father, Larry, said. “But at this point, they’ve got a lot of good guards they are continuing to recruit and the best situation is for Lawrence to explore all his options.”

One of the reasons for the commitment was because Larry Westbrook is from Massachusetts and knew Memphis coach John Calipari from his days with UMass.

``Lawrence is good enough to go somewhere and not have to be involved in a numbers game,” he added. “There are schools out there who would love to have a player of his caliber.”

``We appreciate everything that Memphis has done, but it’s in the best interest to keep his recruitment at this time and focus on his game and his academics,” Larry Westbrook continued.

Westbrook averaged 42 points per game last season at Chandler High (Ariz.) and should be the primary scoring threat for Mike Byrnes at Winchendon. He’s a big-time scorer who just needs to get used to playing with talented players.

``From here on out, Coach (Mike) Byrnes will be handling my son’s recruitment,” Mr. Westbrook said. ``His recruitment is open and it’ll go through Coach Byrnes and myself.”

``We just want to make sure we find the best situation for Lawrence,” he added. “There are no hard feelings with Memphis. We like Memphis and they like him, but it may not be the best situation.”

GlobalCat
09-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Who wants to place bets now on which small midwestern cc Westbrook plays for next year?

ConnecticutKid
09-19-2005, 07:55 PM
The Dad battles with his kid's high school teammates' parents, battles with the high school coach, pulls the kid out of the high school, then gives his promise to Memphis which is good for 3 days. It appears that Dad thinks his kid is so great that he should be recruited to a school that will guarantee him an uncontested spot in their starting lineup. What a tool.