PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!! This bites for UCLA - Shipp injured

UA Direct
09-23-2005, 01:49 AM
LOS ANGELES -- UCLA sophomore forward Josh Shipp will seek a second opinion before having surgery on his right hip to repair cartilage.

The outpatient procedure was scheduled for Friday at UCLA Medical Center.

Shipp, one of four returning starters for the Bruins, was expected to need 8-to-12 weeks for recovery and rehabilitation.

"After further consultation, Josh's family wanted to get a second opinion," coach Ben Howland said. "This is a common practice and the family felt this was best."

An MRI on Tuesday revealed the torn cartilage, which occurred when Shipp hurt himself playing basketball during the summer.

The Bruins, who went 18-11 last season and lost to Texas Tech in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, begin practice Oct. 14. They open the season Nov. 15, at home against New Mexico State in the Preseason NIT.

The 6-foot-5, 205-pound Shipp played in all 29 games last season, averaging 9.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in 27.9 minutes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2169776

Ben Hansen
09-23-2005, 03:06 AM
I hope he comes back ASAP because I want to see UCLA win the Preseason NIT.

TucsonDon
09-23-2005, 03:35 AM
I hope he comes back ASAP because I want to see UCLA win the Preseason NIT.
LOL.

I've heard that pretending to root for UCLA can be fun, but he won't be back, and even with him, they wouldn't win it, not with Alabama, Memphis, Temple and Duke filling out the field.

Jason Scheer
09-23-2005, 03:55 AM
Best wishes to him...and Don out of those teams I would hope they win because I'm not real high on any of them

Flipper
09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
LOL.

I've heard that pretending to root for UCLA can be fun, but he won't be back, and even with him, they wouldn't win it, not with Alabama, Memphis, Temple and Duke filling out the field.

Rooting for UCLA's fun, especially if you've been cheering them on for over 30 years. Plenty of titles, and banners to fill the good 'ol memory bank. :wink2:

The good thing is, we'll end up meeting just 2 at the most out of the 4 you listed, in case we make it all the way to the NIT final.

bhanson
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Plenty of titles, and banners to fill the good 'ol memory bank. :wink2:

Memory bank? How many of those banners have occurred in your lifetime?

barringer97
09-23-2005, 11:22 AM

I think Flippers and old man like you... :)

bhanson
09-23-2005, 11:23 AM
In that case, OK, I remember them too.

haji81872
09-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Well, it will give the freshmen more playing time early in the season.

How is that for finding a silver lining in a tornado?

Flipper
09-23-2005, 03:59 PM

I was born in the 60's, so you can say all the banners occurred in my lifetime. Although, I didn't become aware of Bruin hoops until the Walton Gang.

I've got a kid in the UC system that's probably as old as some of you guys.

Getting back to the topic, losing Shipp for a stretch is a big blow, but it should help the long-term aspect, as the young kids will get more PT early on, and provide better depth towards the PAC10 season, and into the Dance.

Ben Hansen
09-24-2005, 03:16 PM
LOL.

Pretend nothing. Being a fan of the Pac-10 includes wishing well for every team. I know you understand this.

Embrodak
09-24-2005, 03:30 PM
I just love that picture of fendi

barringer97
09-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Bruins' Shipp Has Hip Surgery
Lonnie White, From Times Staff and Wire Reports

UCLA sophomore forward Josh Shipp, one of four returning starters from last season's NCAA tournament team, had arthroscopic hip surgery Wednesday and will be sidelined until at least December.

"I'm very pleased that the outcome was a successful one and we're looking forward to having Josh back as soon as he is completely healed," UCLA Coach Ben Howland said in a statement.

Originally scheduled to have the surgery performed by a school doctor at the UCLA Medical Center, Shipp had the procedure done by Dr. Carlos A. Guanche at the Southern California Orthopedic Institute in Van Nuys, a week after his family decided to seek a second opinion.

Guanche performed a similar surgery on Shipp's older brother, Joe, who played at California.

Shipp, expected to be sidelined eight to 12 weeks, averaged 9.3 points and 5.2 rebounds last season. The former Fairfax High standout played 27.9 minutes a game and started 23 of the Bruins' final 24 games, earning honorable mention All-Pacific 10 Conference honors.

Cedric Bozeman, a 6-foot-7 senior who missed all of last season because of a knee injury; Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, a 6-7 freshman from Cameroon who attended Montverde Florida Academy last season; and Michael Roll, a 6-5 freshman from Aliso Niguel High, are expected to compete for Shipp's position.

UCLA starts practice Oct. 14.

Lonnie White

Flipper
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Bruins' Shipp Has Hip Surgery
Lonnie White, From Times Staff and Wire Reports

Cedric Bozeman, a 6-foot-7 senior who missed all of last season because of a knee injury; Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, a 6-7 freshman from Cameroon who attended Montverde Florida Academy last season; and Michael Roll, a 6-5 freshman from Aliso Niguel High, are expected to compete for Shipp's position.

Lonnie White

Having a good passer like CBoze, whose actually pretty good down low fill in for the first month of the season isn't too bad of a deal. Plus, more minutes for the other 2 incoming frosh guards (Collison/Roll).

Get well soon, Josh.

Ben Hansen
09-29-2005, 07:56 PM
I would have expected Farmar, Afflalo, Bozeman to be the perimeter starters at first anyway.Bozeman is going to be outstanding this year, as I've been saying since April.