PDA

View Full Version : Phil Nelson to UW

Jim Basnight
09-25-2005, 10:37 PM
1. The #1 guard on the west coast (highly underrated nationally) Adrian Oliver.

2. The #1 SF on the west coast by many, Quincy Pondexter, though I do really like Budinger.

3. The #1 pure shooter in the country and Top-75 player Phil Nelson, not to mention the top recruit in the state of Oregon.

4. The #1 recruiting class in the Pac-10 in 2005.

5. A top 2 or 3 player in the country in Spencer Hawes getting ready to commit this week to UW (you heard it here first).

6. The #1 team in the Pac-10 from the standpoint of returning 3 year veteran starters (3) is UW (Jamaal Williams is also a SR with starting experience).

7. What should be the #1 class in the Pac-10 in 2006 and top-5 nationally, with a Hawes commit.

8. The #1 newcomer in the Pac-10 in 2005-2006 in Ryan Appleby.

9. The #1 freshman of the year in the Pac-10 in Jon Brockman.

10. The #1 basketball program in the Pac-10 now and in the near future is UW.

Please try to refute any of these statements.

Gronk4Heisman
09-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Wow. If you actually believe this you need to get professional help. This is by far the craziest post on here since the UCLA wars early this summer. But thank you for the laugh

budd1e_lee
09-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Are you drunk?

ZONACAT
09-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Washington fans make me love UCLA fans. No. 1, No. 2, No. 5, No. 6-7-9-10 are hilarious.

Love it.

UCLA and Arizona fans can probably agree on one thing - Washington fans are delusional.

Josh Gershon
09-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Comments:

#1 - This was the weakest guard class on the West Coast in quite some time. Oliver is the best of the worst.

#2 - Q is going to be a good player but Chase is definitely better at this point. You do know where Quincy Pondexter really wanted to go to school, right?

#3 - Congratulations on the top player in Oregon. Maybe you guys can hit up Rhode Island for some more top talent. Seriously, Phil Nelson could end up being a good player, but I don't care if he's from Oregon.

#4 - Take out Martell and Arizona's class is better. Brockman is good but who else is there? You know where Harvey Perry, Jr. really wanted to go to school, right?

#5 - That would a great pick up.

#6 - You're way off base.

#7 - If Arizona lands Lance Thomas and Washington doesn't get Spencer Hawes, then the UA has the best class.

#8 - Thanks for the laugh.

#9 - Could be.. I love Brockman.

#10 - How is UW the best team in the Pac-10 when they can't even get to the Elite Eight? Make it that far and then let's talk.

ajzlakers1
09-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Thank you, Josh!

And I think I speak for many of us when I say... I couldn't have said it better myself!

aaa
09-25-2005, 11:18 PM

2. The #1 SF on the west coast by many, Quincy Pondexter, though I do really like Budinger.

3. The #1 pure shooter in the country and Top-75 player Phil Nelson, not to mention the top recruit in the state of Oregon.

5. A top 2 or 3 player in the country in Spencer Hawes getting ready to commit this week to UW (you heard it here first).

6. The #1 team in the Pac-10 from the standpoint of returning 3 year veteran starters (3) is UW (Jamaal Williams is also a SR with starting experience).

7. What should be the #1 class in the Pac-10 in 2006 and top-5 nationally, with a Hawes commit.

11. Another tourney flameout.

Auercat
09-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Gershon goes yard! :)

Bearing Down on Myopia Running Rampant In The Northwest :rolleyes:

Auercat

djcat2
09-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Washington fans are delusional.

Some things never change.....

The last time I was here, UW fans were boneheads. Guess it's still more of the same.

Ben Hansen
09-26-2005, 12:20 AM
What's funny is that Washington finished dead last in the Pac-10 just four years ago in 2001 ... but now, obviously, it is in the middle of a UCLA-with-Wooden run.

Even with Hawes, your class lags behind Stanford's (Lopez twins) and Arizona's(with LT) and, likely, UCLA(if Thompson or Stepheson sign).

Newcomer of the Year in '06 will either be Omar Wilkes, Abdoulaye Ndiaye from USC, Antwi Atuahene from ASU or the Cincy transfer at Oregon. No chance for Appleby, who will get beaten out by Harvey Perry soon.

Jim Basnight = the new and even more homeriffic Alex Law.

T-Bone
09-26-2005, 12:24 AM
First of all, shouldn't this be in the Arch Rivals forum?

Second, just like every Washington poster ever, (besides Smashmode), Jim has taken to prophesizing rather than predicting. For example:

There is no "I bet" or "I think" in the picture here. These things ARE TRUE and that's just the way it is. I guess we need to get used to the fact that UW WILL rule college basketball from now until the year 3201 when college basketball will cease to exist and curling will take over as UW's means of worldwide sports domination.

Ziggiles
09-26-2005, 12:44 AM

First and foremost, put down the rock, itís not good for you!

#1. Are you crazy? Derrick Jasper is a better Pg, which Oliver is listed at and he is not better then Matt Bouldin or Patrick Christopher. Oliver is not going to give Washington anything big till year 3, when he actually puts so meat on.

#2. No. QP is not the best on the west coast and the only person who might consider him to be the best SF on the west coast are people who haven't seen Chase play and yourself.

#3. Best recruit out of Oregon is not saying much especially this year (Seth Tarver being the only real prospect out of the state), if you could say best player out of California, then you would be talking. Also I would take Jon Scheyer as the best shooter.

#4. Discounting players who sign LOI and don't show up on campus, Washington has the 3rd best class in the pac-10 after losing Webster as quantity does not out way quality and the players they are bringing in are behind both UCLA and Arizona.

#5. Right, not going to happen, why go to Washington, so he can be the second coming of Jensen shooting 18footers?

#6. You are nuts, Washington losses three essential starters and you are better then Arizona (Adams, Shakur, Irad), Cal (returns everyone plus Powe, this team made the tournament with this same roster two years ago) UCLA(returns everyone minus Thompson but add Bozeman), Oregon(returns 5 starters a year wiser at every position), Stanford(not going there) and USC(returns Stewart, Pruitt and Young). All these teams return the same amount or more starters then washington, Crazy to think that washington has the best returning team. Washington has a ton of questions.

#7. IF and itís a big IF Washington gets Hawes, then you are still behind Arizona as the following

Chase>>Quincy
Nic>Oliver
Thomas>>>Nelson

Only Hawes is greater then Hill, but as well all know, Hill has the far greater upside.

Also the following classes are better then Washington as of right now Arizona, Ohio State, North Carolina, Duke, Uconn, Louisville to name a few off the top of my head. That is a lot of teams to jump, and its contingent on Hawes going to Udub.

#8. No, now stop it, your hurting the integrity of profession when you write things like that.

#9. Maybe, but being an undersized PF only works when you are a freak athlete or have really long arms (see Leon Powe), he will be good but he is not a shoe in at all.

#10. ... this is just embarrassing... really it is...

xethw
09-26-2005, 12:58 AM

#1) How can you have Oliver rated higher than Jasper?
#2) Q would have gone to Arizona had Chase not signed; he's our leftover, my husky friend.
#3) No way Nelson's a better than Jon Scheyer; in fact, Kyle Singler is probably a better shooter as well, maybe even Taylor King.
#4) You lost the #1 class titlwe when you lost Martell. As of Now, Arizona had the #1 '05 class based on players who actually showed up.
#5) Getting Spencer Hawes is certainly a great get, I can't say anything bad about that. He'll be a dynamite player.
#6) This is one of those bogus statistics! Check this out: Arizona returns the most starters who scored more than 10 points over a 21 game-game span not including non-conference days on a wednesday. Is that statistic even true? So what? It's meaningless. (P.S: No, it's not true)
#7) Even with a Hawes commit, I think Arizona will be ranked higher, with or without LT. Without LT, we've still got a top-10 class; with LT, the only class I can think of that's better is Duke and Ohio St. And personally I trhink OSU's class is overhyped since Oden will only be there a year.
#8) Don't count something as a reason for greatness when it hasn't already happened! :rolleyes:
#9) See above! :rolleyes:
#10) The #1 basketball team now and in the near future is UW? Do me a favor...over the past two years, who's won more games, UW or UA? That's right. How about the last five years? That's right. Last ten years? Oh, yesss....fifteen years? C'mon, you know the answer. You have ONE year where you're actually given consideration as a top-10 team, and you think you're the new jugernaut??! PLEASE, what you think of as good years, we think of as...years. Just years. :D

catgrad97
09-26-2005, 01:13 AM
WHY are there still fans out there who equate recruiting success with success of the program?

I should just put "Washington's 2005-06 recruiting class hasn't played a game together yet" in my signature and save myself the repeated typing in post after post.

These predictions of hoops dominance based on how high a recruiting class was rated are delusional in and of themselves and increasingly tiresome to counter with common sense. I know everyone who posted on this thread after Jim "Criswell" Basnight certainly is sick of slapping the insanity out of delusional UW fans (not you smashmode).

AzDave
09-26-2005, 01:20 AM

Ha....as if we have to try.

Thank God for smashmode. At least we know there is still at least one sane UW fan left.

Ziggiles
09-26-2005, 01:33 AM
#1) How can you have Oliver rated higher than Jasper?
#2) Q would have gone to Arizona had Chase not signed; he's our leftover, my husky friend.
#3) No way Nelson's a better than Jon Scheyer; in fact, Kyle Singler is probably a better shooter as well, maybe even Taylor King.
#4) You lost the #1 class titlwe when you lost Martell. As of Now, Arizona had the #1 '05 class based on players who actually showed up.
#5) Getting Spencer Hawes is certainly a great get, I can't say anything bad about that. He'll be a dynamite player.
#6) This is one of those bogus statistics! Check this out: Arizona returns the most starters who scored more than 10 points over a 21 game-game span not including non-conference days on a wednesday. Is that statistic even true? So what? It's meaningless. (P.S: No, it's not true)
#7) Even with a Hawes commit, I think Arizona will be ranked higher, with or without LT. Without LT, we've still got a top-10 class; with LT, the only class I can think of that's better is Duke and Ohio St. And personally I trhink OSU's class is overhyped since Oden will only be there a year.
#8) Don't count something as a reason for greatness when it hasn't already happened! :rolleyes:
#9) See above! :rolleyes:
#10) The #1 basketball team now and in the near future is UW? Do me a favor...over the past two years, who's won more games, UW or UA? That's right. How about the last five years? That's right. Last ten years? Oh, yesss....fifteen years? C'mon, you know the answer. You have ONE year where you're actually given consideration as a top-10 team, and you think you're the new jugernaut??! PLEASE, what you think of as good years, we think of as...years. Just years. :D

i've seen this before... nice post, great minds think alike.

Jim Basnight
09-26-2005, 03:27 AM
1. No I'm not drunk. I am a bit giddy with the Nelson commit and all of the other good news swirling on Montlake.

2. Adrian Oliver is going to be a terrific player. Jim Marsh, coach of one of the premier AAU programs in the country said that he would be one of the best players on the floor at UW right now and compared him to your own Miles Simon. Oliver is better right now than Bouldin, Christopher or Jasper and you can quote me.

If that's fuel to throw more weak insults at UW then keep in mind that AZ is in real trouble. They just lost their only outside shooting threat of note in Salim. Without him they were next to last, only a few decimal points ahead of Cal behind the 3-Pt line. They just lost the most dangerous post player in the conference and have no one that can do what he did.

IRad is good, but certainly no super low post threat and everyone else out there is very questionable. Don't hang your hopes on Tangara or Walters (big foot beware!), they are not going to do what Frye did.

Now you are in danger of losing your best wing prospect in McClellan and will at least not have him for much of the year, plus he will take time to adjust once he does get back. Your other SR guard Rodgers is now out and has a serious injury that leaves a vulnerable freshman, Marcus Williams.

Is this your reason to pick this one as the deepest AZ team ever? AZ's depth should definitely get tested at SG, that's for sure.

I think you should take all of the groans and insults to my intelligence and credentials and write them on a mirror and take a long hard look.

3. I agree that Chase is a great player, but many pick Pondexter as better. He's certainly thought of as more athletic and is a very hard worker and extremely focused on his basketball goals. He's not doing much volleyball, that's for sure.

Who cares where he would have gone or could or couldn't have gone? I'll tell you one thing, he'll be happy to add to UW's record against AZ, which by then should be about 8-1 or 7-2 over the last three years.

4. Why put down the state of Oregon? You've tried to get players there before at AZ. What about Chris Rodgers? What about Kevin Love, Kyle Singler and tons of others. I maintain that Nelson is a huge talent and prospect and you are just being argumentative.

Jon Scheyer is not a better shooter, nor is he a better overall prospect than the 6'8" wiry, athletic and skilled SG Nelson. Please get real here.

5. UW's 2005 class is better than AZ's or UCLA's without Martell and Sallie. I've explained this before and I will do it again if asked.

6. I can't name my source for the Hawes, Pondexter and Brockman stories, but I can assure you it is not Pompompizzy, or whatever you think that is. By the way he also called Nelson for UW on Friday, which I did not publish, because I wanted another source to confirm, which we didn't have then.

I did get it for Pondexter, so I called it, successfully before anyone else. I will continue to seek info from anonymous sources thank you.

7. UW will finish in 2nd or 3rd place behind Stanford and possibly UCLA. AZ and Cal will fight it out for 4th and if they can find some outside shooting consistency to go with Powe and all of those bigs and veterans, have fun in 5th place.

8. I have strong information that UW will land Hawes this week, but out of respect for him and his family I will not run an official story until he confirms it first hand. I do expect an announcement by Friday and with that UW will clearly have the best class in the Pac-10 and a consensus Top-5 class to boot.

9. You can make fun of Appleby all you want, but log this in your Wildcat thinking caps. He will be the Newcomer of the Year in the Pac-10. Omar Wilkes, Abdoulaye Ndiaye from USC, Antwi Atuahene from ASU or Ivan Johnson (you should learn his name Ben before you start talking about the way the guy plays) will not surprise like Ryan Appleby. Injuries could change things, but that said, he will be the NOY in the Pac-10.

10. UW finished 2nd two years ago and made the championship game of the Pac-10 tournament. Last year UW finished 2nd and won the conference tournament. As far as I can tell that is better than AZ or Stanford has done overall in the conference.

AZ did make the Elite-8, but did not distinguish itself the year before, by any stretch of the imagination. Stanford cheesed both years in the NCAA tournament. It's close between AZ and UW, except what clearly happened on the court between the two schools, which is clear domination by UW.

Please take off your rosy glasses and quit talking about the great legacy of Lute Olson. In the here and now, AZ has been taken for a ride by the UW and has no right to crow about an embarrassing collapse against Illinois as being the one thing that distinguishes them in the face of a 1-5 record head to head.

11. "Even with Hawes, your class lags behind Stanford's (Lopez twins) and Arizona's(with LT) and, likely, UCLA(if Thompson or Stepheson sign)." This is outrageously funny Ben. Thompson or Stepheson are to Hawes what Stan Love and Steve Hawes were to Bill Walton.

Spencer is better than either of the Lopez twins and there is little debate about that from anyone who saw them play each other that knows what traveling means. After that Stanford's class is not as dynamic nor as exciting as UW's in fact it consists of one post player right now, a decent but average prospect in Will Paul, another big tall, but unspectacular athlete in the Stanford mold.

Say what you want about the Stanford system and how well it works, this guy is not the prospect that either Pondexter, Nelson or Oliver are and all of ratings services reflect this opinion. What I hear you are saying is that the Lopez Twins are a better recruiting class than Spencer Hawes on his own.

I'm looking forward to seeing those two get crunched and lunched by Spencer and Brockman in the biggest way, while the rest of the UW team runs over and past the rest of the players, as they will. Dentmon is on Par with Mitch Johnson. Most say he's better, and he'll be 2nd string to Appleby.

Hernandez, Haryascz and Grunfeld are gone by the time the Lopez twins show up and Fred Washington and Tim Morris are not going to look so great against Perry Jr., Joel Smith, Pondexter, Nelson and possibly Ty Morrison who will take on Taj Finger like a finger sandwich.

As far as the vaunted class of 2006 at AZ, as of now you've got a great one in Budinger and that's about it. If LT commits we'll talk about where you fit in the Pac-10 behind UW. Saying that Hill has more potential than Spencer is bouyant to say the least. What are you smoking Ben? Wise has dropped like a stone in the eyes of most in the know this summer as well. What's up with this?

12. I'm sure UW is looking forward to showing AZ an "undersized PF" with Brockman. Your buddy Shakur has already seen enough "undersized guard" the last two years with Nate Robinson.

13. I don't want to go over my Pac-10 projections again, but there's one thing I will point out. No one in the Pac-10 has four players that have started in and played in as many minutes of conference games as Brandon Roy, Bobby Jones, Mike Jensen and Jamaal Williams (MWC games at UNM, as well as Pac-10).

Add to that the fact that their cumulative FG% was higher than the 4 SR's that left in Tre, Conroy, Nate and Hakeem Rollins. You only need one more to make a starting 5 that is the most experienced team in the Pac-10, even with a third year SO in Appleby.

You bring in Brockman, Joel, Perry, Wallace and Dentmon off of the bench and that is your "deep" team that we've been hearing about AZ on this board all summer.

That's it. I'm J-Lo and you're the promoter of a new club in downtown Tuscon and my plane just arrived at the airport. Go!!

chisox85
09-26-2005, 03:30 AM

The #1 reason UW fans shouldn't be allowed to post before writing down their thoughts and getting them cleared by someone who knows what the f*** they're talking about.

PatrickF0ley
09-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Jim, although a jackass, does point out some good things. No one can deny that Washington is on the rise, and Romar is doing excellent things there. Seeing what's happening there just makes me excited for the Pac and glad for some real competetion. It's no fun being the only pac10 team with consistent tournament showings and national respect, and i think Udub is heading good places. which is good. hooray for the pac 10.

o and jim - youre a jackass.

ASUHATER!
09-26-2005, 03:50 AM
about 3/4 of what he said in that last post simply makes me go :roll: :roll: :roll:

battling with cal for 4th or 5th? excuse me while i sh*t myself that is so funny. if UW is such a hailed program with its great recruiting, why are they not picked to finish higher than 3rd or 4th in the pac 10 this year by any major publishment or respectable sports analyst? oh yea because our team is deeper. has better coaching. UW is definitely on the rise and has some great players, but they will never consistently compete with us for rule of the pac 10. all i can say is come back when you have 11 conference championships in 20 years.

scumdevils86
09-26-2005, 04:11 AM
well i'll just briefly introduce myself..i'm the brother of ASUHATER! above me here..i've been a looong time reader and lurker but this is my first post. i love goazcats with a passion and have been here every day for at least a year now.

anyway...oh. my. god. jim basnight. i just..i am beginning to rethink my plans to go to udub for grad school. his reply nearly made me physically ill. is he someone of any importance on his own board? i want to know where he gets his information exactly so i won't be so disturbed. i might lose sleep over this. i can't even begin to refute his hallucinogenic ramblings right now..i have a poli sci test in 10 hours. wow.
just...

wow. :chair:

Jim Basnight
09-26-2005, 04:17 AM
take care of itself by the end of the year.

Did you believe that UW would come in 2nd and beat AZ three times two years ago? I did and got beaten on all over the net for predicting a less successful result that year.

My predictions aren't always right, but I'm standing cleanly behind this set of thoughts.

I am not a jackass, by the way, unless I don't understand clearly your definition of the word.

I like what you are saying in regards to Pac-10 Hoops.

I also support the Pac-10 and hope it improves overall as a league.

By the way, anyone that supports Gonzaga does not in my mind.

They are clearly in the way of the other NW Pac-10 schools pulling themselves into the national picture.

Let's have a little poll here. How many of the AZ fans here want that deep down? Who do you like better, GU or any of the other NW Pac-10 schools?

Jason Scheer
09-26-2005, 04:42 AM
I don't think anybody here likes Gonzaga much but I am just as confident in saying many people don't like Washington either. Washington is bringing in good players but so are other Pac 10 teams and Washington also got eliminated in the tourney early as a one seed last season so what is making us think the same wont happen again?

Also I like how you talk about the incoming classes then make a comment about how Arizona is going to be weak because they have to play freshman. Interesting how a freshman from Washington will make an impact but it is difficult to assume Marcus will.

Ryan Appleby newcomer of the year? Please make a bet with me on this one

Jason Scheer
09-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Also how do you say Washington has the best program now and in the future yet pick Stanford to win the Pac?

Jim Basnight
09-26-2005, 04:58 AM
when YOU pick Stanford to win the Pac-10 this year. That is nuts.

AZ has been the best program in the Pac-10 over the last 20 years, but have not won the Pac-10 every year. That is a mute point.

I don't think it's difficult to assume that Marcus will make an impression. He will have to lead though, unlike Brockman, who will have a SR in Jamaal Williams, who looks outstanding this summer, to stand beside him or start ahead of him.

When Marcus, who is still a bit skinny goes to the bench, who does Lute bring in? Not McClellan or Rodgers.

I don't bet and I don't believe that this forum allows actual betting, if I'm not mistaken. Appleby is my choice to win the NOY in the Pac-10. Powe come back of the year (though not an award that I'm aware of). Brandon Roy POY. Jon Brockman FOY. Trent Johnson COY. If you can do better, you tell me your picks and we'll see who is closer at the end of the year.

Josh Gershon
09-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Jim are you seriously a writer? If so I suggest learning a little bit of professionalism, losing the completely insane bias and flaming over on rivals' websites.

Listen, while you're naming Washington the new king of the Pac-10, please keep the following in mind:

1. Washington has never won an outright Pac-10 championship. Not one.

2. In the modern era of college basketball (or anytime after 1953), Washington has not made the Elite Eight. Not one.

3. There is no Washington grad in the NBA that's played a minute of professional basketball. Not one.

When these three things change, please come back here and brag about your school. Until then, you're still a football school. Oh wait. :)

Jason Scheer
09-26-2005, 05:06 AM
My awards: NOY: Ivan or a Bruin but I will stick with Ivan
POY: Chris Hernandez
COY: Ben Howland
Comeback: Powe

GoZags
09-26-2005, 10:35 AM
The Washington Huskies continue to be the #2 program in the State of Washington.

NorCalCat
09-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Jim are you seriously a writer? If so I suggest learning a little bit of professionalism, losing the completely insane bias and flaming over on rivals' websites.

Listen, while you're naming Washington the new king of the Pac-10, please keep the following in mind:

1. Washington has never won an outright Pac-10 championship. Not one.

2. In the modern era of college basketball (or anytime after 1953), Washington has not made the Elite Eight. Not one.

3. There is no Washington grad in the NBA that's played a minute of professional basketball. Not one.

When these three things change, please come back here and brag about your school. Until then, you're still a football school. Oh wait. :)

Ooooooh. That's gonna leave a mark.

ajzlakers1
09-26-2005, 11:00 AM
3. I agree that Chase is a great player, but many pick Pondexter as better. He's certainly thought of as more athletic and is a very hard worker and extremely focused on his basketball goals. He's not doing much volleyball, that's for sure.

Who thinks Pondexter is better? Who? You?

Well, you're an idiot. :confused:

No one in their right mind who is any real judge of talent can say that Pondexter is better than Chase.

You lose a lot of credibility by making stupid statements like that. It takes away from some of the other somewhat reasonable, although homeristic, points you've tried to make.

AZCat Man
09-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Wow! Beware, these people live among you. We don't have to try to refute any of these statements, your first grade overview is enough said. Washington fans should go out and hang you.

smashmode
09-26-2005, 11:31 AM
The Washington Huskies continue to be the #2 program in the State of Washington.

Behind Bennett Ball at WSU?

*grin*

dawgfather11
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
I dunno about everything he said, but nelson dudley does do one thing right and that's get under your skin.

xethw
09-26-2005, 12:06 PM
when YOU pick Stanford to win the Pac-10 this year. That is nuts.

AZ has been the best program in the Pac-10 over the last 20 years, but have not won the Pac-10 every year. That is a mute point.

I don't think it's difficult to assume that Marcus will make an impression. He will have to lead though, unlike Brockman, who will have a SR in Jamaal Williams, who looks outstanding this summer, to stand beside him or start ahead of him.

When Marcus, who is still a bit skinny goes to the bench, who does Lute bring in? Not McClellan or Rodgers.

I don't bet and I don't believe that this forum allows actual betting, if I'm not mistaken. Appleby is my choice to win the NOY in the Pac-10. Powe come back of the year (though not an award that I'm aware of). Brandon Roy POY. Jon Brockman FOY. Trent Johnson COY. If you can do better, you tell me your picks and we'll see who is closer at the end of the year.

Here's my picks:

Pac-10 Champion (Regular season): Arizona
Pac-10 Champion (Tournament): Arizona
Pac-10 POY: Hasaan Adams
Pac-10 COY: Ben Braun (after getting Cal back to the tourney)
Final Regular Season Standings:

1) Arizona (because winning the Pac-10 is what we do)
2) Stanford
3) UCLA
4) Oregon
5) Cal
6) Washington
7) Oregon State
8) USC
9) Washington St
10) ASU

Teams 1-5 make the NCAA tourney. Teams 6 and 7 (that means you, u-dub) go to the NIT.

aaa
09-26-2005, 12:08 PM

daniel dillon - soph
jesus verdejo - soph
jawann mcllelan- soph (after he wins his appeal)

Jim Basnight
09-26-2005, 12:23 PM
This morning it's the morning grouches. I'll be back after work. I'll take on all you'se guys. If you don't want controversy Josh (like GUNation) in an effort to build moral, then I won't post here. I think it's healthy discourse. Please come over to the UW board and tell me how foolish I am there, if you'd like. Be my guest. Thanks for the pointers. Got to go.

PerpEph
09-26-2005, 12:26 PM
You are crazy and delusional.

Put your money where your mouth is. I will bet you that Arizona finishes ahead of Washington in the Pac-10 this season.

Well?

CatLand
09-26-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry but if this means my banishment from the site so be it. This guy has to be hands down the Biggest "Douche Bag" on the web. To come to a rival school site and spout such garbage is the reason society is such a mess. I have to look to the web site moderators and Rivals.com to do a better job of regulating such idiocy. If this guy actual works at the Washington Rivals site he should be fired and Rivals needs new regulations. I feel like throwing up. Futhermore, to read such nonsense makes me feel like I just got dumber and more uneducated for reading it. Stuff like this belongs on the Arch Rival board where you know going in that you are about to read some of the most vial crap imaginable. To sum up this guy is a "TOOLIP" (tulip) and I can't wait for the season to begin so the Cats and other PAC-10 teams can put Washington and their homer fans back in place.

Iningo_Montoya
09-26-2005, 01:02 PM

Getting to the party a little bit late.

These kinds of threads are becomming tiresome Jim. You are practicing Reese revisionist history here again. You can't state things one way to prove your point, and then go and state it the opposite to prove a later one.

Let's get a few things down. I think UW is going to be pretty good this year. I think your weakness will be your outside shooting and the ability to create offense outside of Brandon Roy. I also think your program is doing well cashing in on their current buzz with recruiting.

As far as number one guard on the West Coast I have to go with Jasper and my pick as number one, Patrick Christopher. I see a little Gilbert A in Patrick's game, and that is definitely a good thing. If we had room for a scoring guard in this class, I would have loved to have gone after him. Same with Jasper, but we had a commited point in this class for the last two years. Lute, unlike Romar, has shown loyalty to Nic Wise through thick and thin. The has been no Hans Gasser-ish pulling of scholies here.

As far as the Chase vs. Quincy debate, it is pretty much decided. If you are going by the recruiting services (and at this point that is about all there is to go by) then Chase in the runaway winner. He is a top 10 guy, while Quincy is decidedly below that. Could things wind up different in college? Maybe, but that is all yet to be played out on the court. Right now there is no ifs, ands, or buts to it. Chase is ranked higher at every single recruiting ranking and is the number one SF on the West Coast. Saying he's not is like me saying that Nic Wise is the number one point guard in the nation despite the fact there are a number of players at that position ranked above him. In two words, completely homerish.

At this point, if Ryan Appleby averages less then 20 points and 10 assists, it will be a disappointment with all the hype coming out of Seattle these days. Hell, I'm surprised he hasn't taken over for Ridnour and the Sonics.

Brockman could very well be FOY this year. He is a hell of a worker and will get early minutes. If he doesn't produce, it's all on him. Regarding our 2005 classes, I think without Martell we outdid you. We have 3 highly ranked guys (though all are ranked lower than Brockman, the big fish in this comparison) who outrank everyone less Brockman. They also have large pro potential as all are ranked in the top 20 for incomming freshman. UW got solid, but not highly ranked players in Wallace, Perry, and Dentmon. Sallie and Webster never made it and Wolfinger will likely be recruited over ASAP. I hear that Wallace is really coming around recently as well.

In '06 Oliver, Pondexter, and Nelson is a great start. Sallie is in his 675th year of prep school and might make it in this year. Is he 25 yet? If you land Hawes that will be a HUGE get as he is the best post not named Oden in this class. I hear rumblings of Morrison and maybe a couple of other players as well that you are trying to land? How the hell is this going to work? Run off 2 or 3 more kids on scholi currently? That is not a method of recruiting that will endear you to recruits parents. "Come to UW, you'll get a scholi the first year and after that, who knows!" Can't see that as the hallmark of a lasting program. With Hawes, you are better then our class right now. If we add Lance, it is debateable.

Since UW is new to being a player on the scene recruiting-wise, I understand your excitement. You haven't been there before, so why not blow your own horn? Just as Catgrad97 talked about earlier in this thread, it's not always shown to be a direct correlation as to how your recruiting ranks as to how your team turns out. In the class with Salim and Channing, they were two of our lower ranked recruits. Dennis Lattimore was the player everyone was crowing about followed by Will Bynum and then Fox and Salim in the same area, with Channing pulling up the rear. I think we can agree that Salim and Channing are the better players with their NBA careers just starting, while the other 3 haven't quite panned out as planned.

Also, congrats on your recent success against us. You beat the worst Arizona team in recent memory 3 times in one year. Last year you won the rubber match in the PAC-10 tourney costing us a potential #1 seed. I think we can all agree that we finished the year as the better team as evidenced by our elite 8 appearance and loss to the National Runners up on essentially their home court. This year will have a lot to do with who can say they have the upper hand on who.

It's too bad we didn't pull that game out, otherwise we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

UWFiddler
09-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Ha....as if we have to try.

Thank God for smashmode. At least we know there is still at least one sane UW fan left.

I think we could have a lengthy debate on whether smashmode is actually sane...... :)

DevilDawg
09-26-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm as loyal a UW fan as there is but I have to call Basnight out on his post. First of all, while most of the UW nation is very excited abour our b-ball team (might have something to do w/ our football team), it's obvious some are taking things a little too far.
Here's my take on his top-10:

1- I don't know a whole lot about Adrian Oliver having never seen him played but Jasper is ranked higher than he is by every recruiting expert so I have to question this one for sure.

2- I love Pondexter but again every recruiting site I've seen has ranked Budinger higher. Only time will tell who's better I guess.

3- #1 pure shooter in the class might be a stretch although I know he's definitely one of the top 2 or 3. I think his commit is bigger than some might expect because as both UW and UA found out last year w/ Salim and Tre Simmons, having a "pure shooter" is a huge weapon in college hoops especially today when players aren't as fundamentally sound. As for he being the #1 player in Oregon- who cares. Oregon isn't a hot bed for talent of any type although after they stole Brooks and Ridnour is nice to stick it to them. Now we just need to see Love & Singler leave too...

4- #1 Pac-10 recruiting class on paper but losing Webster is a big loss and makes it a lot closer. I still think our class is better than UA's but it's pretty damn close either way.

5- God I hope you're right

6- Don't thinks so. Stanford has the best returning team. After that it's a crapshoot between UW, UA, UCLA, Cal & Oregon. UW lost the heart and soul w/ Conroy, Nate, and Tre but it'll be interesting to see how the new guys fill in.

7- If Hawes commits and we also get either Jasper, Morrison (unlikely), or Stephenson this should be the top class in the Pac-10 but obviously that's wishful thiking at this point. If UA lands Lance Thomas then this might be a "push"...

8- Appleby could be the best newcomer but so could about 6 or 7 other Pac-10 players so I won't pretend to be Nostredames

9- Brockman is the truth so I'll stand by this one...

10- Romar is definitely on the right track but UW needs a couple more sweet 16 runs and probably a trip to the final 4 before it's national reputation gets that kind of respect

smashmode
09-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I think we could have a lengthy debate on whether smashmode is actually sane...... :)

Come on fidd! :) don't sell me down the river!

heh :)

11Banners
09-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Washington fans make me love UCLA fans. No. 1, No. 2, No. 5, No. 6-7-9-10 are hilarious.

Love it.

UCLA and Arizona fans can probably agree on one thing - Washington fans are delusional.

I completely agree. Whenever I feel bad for the UW football program, I just remind myself about posters like Jim and Reese.

gumby
09-26-2005, 03:06 PM
That is a mute point.
Time to push the moot button.

AzDave
09-26-2005, 03:24 PM

Ah...Fiddler....forgot about you. Sorry! Of course sm posts about 3 times as often as you so you'll have to forgive me. So there are at least 2 sane UW fans.

DevilDawg appears to be normal as well.

CEinAZ
09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
How many great basketball players are there named PHIL anyway..... Seems like he would be more fitting on a talk show.

gumby
09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Phil Torres! Wait ...

smashmode
09-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Phil ford? :)

Auercat
09-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Phil Jackson?

Bearing Down on Zen in Seattle? :confused: :lol:

Auercat

Josh Gershon
09-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Please come over to the UW board and tell me how foolish I am there, if you'd like. Be my guest.

That's be a little hypocritical, don't you think? Besides, you made the post here, not at the UW site.

Listen, you're more than welcome to post here. I just don't think your posts are as professional as possible, that's all. :)

I'm glad you guys have confidence in your basketball program. Like I said though, you win something and then you talk. UW has yet to win anything.

scumdevils86
09-26-2005, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Basnight]when YOU pick Stanford to win the Pac-10 this year. That is nuts.

QUOTE]

don't know if you know this bud..
that would be a "moot point"
good job, keep it up :roll:

Ben Hansen
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
when YOU pick Stanford to win the Pac-10 this year. That is nuts. Z has been the best program in the Pac-10 over the last 20 years, but have not won the Pac-10 every year.

Nope, not "every year, just 11 times over the past 20 seasons.
Meanwhile, Washington's average finish dating back to 1992-93 is seventh (7th). The Huskies have been decent for the last year and a half...only!

UW's biggest win in school history:Beating Arizona in Tucson two years ago.
AZ's biggest win: 1997 National Championship victory over No. 1 Kentucky.

Anyone see a slight disparity here?

Gonzaga rules that state so come back once you've mastered the WCC's best before yipping at Arizona, Stanford and UCLA's ankles, little puppies.

Josh Gershon
03-15-2008, 02:27 AM

When you say near future, what exactly do you mean?

BibbysTowelDude
03-15-2008, 02:40 AM
2042.. Wasn't it obvious? :roll:

econocat
03-15-2008, 02:48 AM
It's truly amazing how much sustained success UW basketball has had. The Pac-10 continued to improve and Washington just.... well.... what can you say about the past two seasons?

Who is that Basnight guy? Awfully bold stuff there.

TucsonDon
03-15-2008, 03:26 AM
Phil Nelson's new team is in the NCAA tournament.

smashmode
03-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Who is that Basnight guy? Awfully bold stuff there.

Someone that wildcat fans like to follow. heh.