PDA

View Full Version : Harvey perry

Zero
10-04-2005, 04:02 PM
what exactly went down with him?
did lute stop recruiting him, or did he choose washington over us?

i thought i remembered his father a little upset about something.

TucsonDon
10-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah...He's not good.

Zero
10-04-2005, 04:23 PM
i thought he is a good player.

TFCATFAN
10-04-2005, 04:25 PM
cooled off him in favor of better talent, Washington got our table scraps in him and Pondexter.
But they are getting Hawes so who lasts laugh is yet TBD.

My Money is on Arizona.

LikesMikey
10-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Lute waited too long to offer is what happened and they were wavering on his grade situation also. Romar offered and then Lute tried to Midnight him and Perry said no. The next couple of years are going to be fun to watch as the Pac-10 can only get stronger with all this talent staying in the Pac-10 instead of going to the super elite teams.

ZONACAT
10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Rodney Tention happened.

TucsonDon
10-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Listen, don't blame people, if they liked him they could've had him.

They didn't like him because he isn't good.

Indywildcatfan
10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
I recall the dad being upset because he was serving his son on a platter to Lute and Lute did not bite. He was offended and began looking for other opportunities.

I wouldn't call him table scraps, UDUB definitely got a great catch.

I personnally hope these player don't turn out to haunt us. UDUB has some phenominal talent coming in. The PAC is on the rise, I love it.

I just wish OSU could grab some top talent, ASU can keep sucking for all I care.

Ben Hansen
10-04-2005, 04:59 PM
HPJ is very good, actually.

Arizona was told repeatedly that he would commit if officially offered but it never happened.

HPJ was told by numerous NBA people that he is one of the main young players they are keeping their eyes on. He considered going pro at one point while still in prep school. He is a very good player, particularly on defense and athletically.

But let's just watch and see how the year plays out.

How many virtual-lock NBA players aren't good?

If his outside J comes around, he could be a Lottery pick one day.
He may start off slow this year as he adjusts to this level, but he will be on the All-Freshman (Pac-10) team.

-Ben

smashmode
10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Listen, don't blame people, if they liked him they could've had him.

They didn't like him because he isn't good.

And you know this for certain?

TucsonDon
10-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah, the only guy who thinks Perry is good is Hansen. He's been on that kid for two years, but I just don't see it. He'll be a good defender, nice athlete and size, but he's not an Arizona-quality player, to be frank.

smashmode
10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah, the only guy who thinks Perry is good is Hansen. He's been on that kid for two years, but I just don't see it. He'll be a good defender, nice athlete and size, but he's not an Arizona-quality player, to be frank.

No offense, but I take the word of Hansen, someone who is connected to the scene, more than you.

TucsonDon
10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
That's the problem. That's why these Arizona fans are *****ing about losing guys that only he props up.

Believe what you want.

Zero
10-04-2005, 09:18 PM
i wasnt *****ing at all about losing hpj

i was having a debate on dawgman about what happened with his recruitment.

im glad we got jp and marcus

TFCATFAN
10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Harvey Perry Jr. was a Combo Guard right? Isn't Jason Terry like the only combo guard who ever-panned out for us? Chris Rodgers has a shot this year, and hopefully Dillon in the future, but it seems like all the combo guards we recruit contribute very little.

Anyway, I wanted HPJ to come here when they were looking at him, but Marcus Williams and Prince seem to me to have more potential. And being coached by Lute doesn't hurt either. I think they will have better careers.:rolleyes:

Indianlawprof
10-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I believe because Lute and the coaches would have taken him had he been a better fit. In the context of the recruiting class he did not make it to the top, but was everyone's second choice for every slot, it seemed. Remember that last year he was preping while we were talking about the possible 'collapse' of Mustafa. It was said that the first priority was a true point to back up MS or cover should he truly fail. We got our second choice there in a top 5 point with J.P. Prince. That left two slots and Fendi was always a favorite to bolster the front line so HPJ could not have helped.

Marcus Williams is a true wing. He can play the 2 or 3 and all the reports are that he is very advanced for a frosh so laugh about Rodney Tention all you want, but MW was his recruit and the insiders say he and Lute closed that one together. The very real fear was that Hassan would be in the NBA this year. How close was that? Imagine our roster without Hassan and you would probably take MW over HPJ also.

I dont speak with the coaches and they dont consult with me, but as an avid follower of the sequence of recruiting it is unfair to denigrate HPJ. The coaches felt he was "Arizona good," But it is also unfair to say that we lost him or tried too late to make up lost ground. It just did not work out. The best recruit is the one that will help your team improve the most at the particular time and in the particular slot available.

Aca
10-05-2005, 12:05 PM
...but Tucson Don...how in the hell do you know if Perry is good or not? You just seem to hate on almost every player/coach/recruit that UW is connected to.
Do you actually think that Lute gets every player he wants? Do you actually think that Lute "never misses" on a talent? Do you actually think that Lute never second-guesses himself when he misses on a talent?
Everytime you say things like "arizona didn't want him becuase he's not good" or "the only guy that thinks he's good is Hansen" you sound more and more naive and myopic.

AzChuck
10-05-2005, 01:12 PM
I am with Indian on this one. Following his (HPJ) recruitment it does seem that the coaches felt he was "Arizona good."

I think Indian nailed this one. Arizona was very interested in HPJ. He just wasn't the fit what Arizona needed at the time. It happens. He will be a player.

I also think that Q Pondexter will be a player. I am under the impression that Lute REALLY liked him. But he had academic issues and Lute had been recruiting Chase for long time and was his #1 priority. Then when Chase committed, Arizona dropped Q. But if Chase doesn't become a Wildcat, Q becomes a top priority. From what I read, Q is also "Arizona good."

Bear Down, Chuck

beardownbaby
10-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I believe Lorenzo Romar also thinks Harvey Perry Jr. is good. He seems to have been a fairly good judge of perimeter/wing talent to this point.

I'm always hesitant to say a guy isn't good before he's played a minute of college ball to prove himself, but I'd also be pretty damn hesitant to say he'll be a lottery pick before he's played, too. (Unless we're talking LeBron or Amare.)

Then again, I've never seen HPJ play at all. No one who hasn't can make any assessment whatsoever.

TucsonDon
10-05-2005, 03:34 PM
...but Tucson Don...how in the hell do you know if Perry is good or not? You just seem to hate on almost every player/coach/recruit that UW is connected to.
I know Harvey Perry's game because I've seen the kid play several times. I've never been very impressed, like I said, he'll be a good defensive guard, but there has been way too much discussion on this board regarding the kid for the quality of talent he possesses.

As to your second statement, I have to disagree, and if you did a bit of research you'd know this isn't true. In fact, just the other day I said that the combination of Brockman and Hawes will be the best frontcourt duo in the country. I've always praised Romar and the job being done up there, and have repeatedly stated that Washington was the best team in the league last season.

Josh Gershon
10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
I also think that Q Pondexter will be a player. I am under the impression that Lute REALLY liked him. But he had academic issues and Lute had been recruiting Chase for long time and was his #1 priority. Then when Chase committed, Arizona dropped Q. But if Chase doesn't become a Wildcat, Q becomes a top priority. From what I read, Q is also "Arizona good."

Quincy WILL be a player.. but he couldn't have been one at Arizona. The UA coaches dropped him a couple months before Chase committed.

I love Quincy as a person and a player and think he's going to be a huge addition to Washington. Seriously, he's going to be big time there.

And despite the fact he's so good, Arizona still wanted Chase more. :)

As for Perry, I'd be very surprised if he made a big contribution to Washington early.

Jim Basnight
10-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Harvey has really done well with improving his stroke from outside the arc. Don't count this kid out of being an All-Pac-10 player in the next few years and perhaps an All-Freshman team member this year. He's long, has great hops, speed and quickness. He looks a lot like Desmond Mason on the court in fact. AZ wanted him after not offering, when he blew up the summer after his SR year in Vegas and Lute offered, after he was headed to UW, but Harvey and Sr. said no.

ByJoveByJingle
10-05-2005, 06:53 PM
You are the King of Revisionist History. "It's good to be the King . . . !" :p

WildcatPaulG
10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Harvey has really done well with improving his stroke from outside the arc. Don't count this kid out of being an All-Pac-10 player in the next few years and perhaps an All-Freshman team member this year. He's long, has great hops, speed and quickness. He looks a lot like Desmond Mason on the court in fact. AZ wanted him after not offering, when he blew up the summer after his SR year in Vegas and Lute offered, after he was headed to UW, but Harvey and Sr. said no.

Because everyone knows that he wanted to go to the school that was the powerhouse that couldn't make it out of the sweet 16, rather than the one who has one a National Championship within the last ten years, right?

Tool.

sincat
10-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Why couldn't he have been a player at Arizona?

Josh Gershon
10-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Arizona's interest in HP Jr. is being extremely exaggerated. :)

WildcatPaulG
10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Josh is always the professional. I woulda just said that Assnight is being Assnight and thinking he knows it all.

Aca
10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Because everyone knows that he wanted to go to the school that was the powerhouse that couldn't make it out of the sweet 16, rather than the one who has one a National Championship within the last ten years, right?

Tool.

I give UA props for their consistency, and their rich bball history...and yes, their NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP that gets brought up on this board every couple minutes. But c'mon...give it a rest. While i realize the past is important...it was 9 years ago. It's just plain arrogant the way you compare UA to UW. Big frickin' deal, you won one more game that UW did in the tourney last year. Get over yourself, and just deal with the fact that, CURRENTLY, UW is an up-and-comer, they had a good season last year, and they have put together a good '06 class...and an amazing '07 class. And yes, many people will start mentioning them in the same breath as UA because RIGHT NOW IN 2005 they are competitive with UA. I know that may be hard for you to wrap your brain around...but I think it's something you may have to deal with.

ByJoveByJingle
10-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't think anybody would argue with the fact that Washington has been competitive for a couple of years . . . it's the extrapolation that usually accompanies this assertion that is irritating.

sincat
10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Aca, if you had an AZ version of Assnight on your board, you'd find it difficult as well to sing the praises of your opponent.

Aca
10-05-2005, 08:30 PM
i hear ya...

Jim Basnight
10-07-2005, 04:19 AM
It must be nice having someone to blame for your lack of class. I worked my a$$ off on covering the 2006 UW basketball class and correctly projected the commit on Hawes, Pondexter and Nelson. What crap, to go off on me.

WildcatPaulG
10-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Our lack of class? Who's on OUR board stating that they are the powerhouse and "five of six" and rubbing that sh*t in constantly? You are.

Can't wait til that poll is over and you're banished to the ARF.

dawgfather11
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Can't wait til that poll is over and you're banished to the ARF.

what's sad is that you have to make a poll and try and get someone banished to arf. Please daddy make the bad man stop. So pathetic. Of course i don't expect much better from one of the worst UA fans on the board who isn't any better then the guy he's trying to ban. Don't get me wrong I don't like the guy at all, but quit crying like a little girl.

ByJoveByJingle
10-07-2005, 04:01 PM
It must be nice having someone to blame for your lack of class. I worked my a$$ off on covering the 2006 UW basketball class and correctly projected the commit on Hawes, Pondexter and Nelson. What crap, to go off on me.

Everybody and their mother on this board knew Pondexter was going to Washington (if you could get him past admissions) long before you came here with your grand pronouncement. Perhaps you should have just asked Josh about your recruit and he could have filled you in on it?

Jason Scheer
10-07-2005, 04:03 PM

By working your ass off are you alluding to your sexual actions to guarantee these recruits? I knew I smelt something fishy about this situation..

CarryOn
10-10-2005, 02:05 PM
If Sylvester Seay can get into ASU, Q-Pon can get into UW... http://joanongovernment.homestead.com/files/whacky40.gif

Jim Basnight
10-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I called it to UW before anyone with Pondexter, so go back and look at the record. If Josh was sure he was going to commit to UW, why didn't he stick his neck out and predict it in the form of a feature?

I did and whether it was common knowledge, I took it upon myself to go on the record. I've got a lot of respect for Josh and Ben, just don't call me out if you can't back it up.

I got a lot of heat for calling Pondexter to UW, because he hadn't made an official statement, so actually I'm entitled to a little respect for sticking to my guns, though I know I doubt I'll get it here.

I also did the same with Hawes and Nelson, but in a less official way, after I was told you need a quote from an identified source to back it up.

What bugged me about that, was the guy that everyone looked to as breaking the Hawes commit only said that "a reliable source" said.

I guess until you've done this for a while, everyone thinks you don't know what you are doing and making it up as you go.

Sorry I rub you the wrong way about "5 out of 6". I usually only use that as I'm hearing from one of you how UW is a flash in the pan and not in the class of AZ.

By the way, congratulations on Budinger.

I think he is a very special player, as is Marcus Williams, though I don't think Marcus will be your savior this year, as some assert. He went to my high school and I really like his game. I think he will help out AZ this year though, if he's not depended on too much.

WildcatPaulG
10-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Um... I musta missed where someone predicted that Marcus was going to be our savior.

hotishmmm825
10-29-2005, 08:33 PM
Ah where to start. I don't really know who was the first to make a prediction (nor do I care) but UA cooled off on Pondexter many moons ago so while I think he will amount to a good player it's not like you stole him from us or anything.

I got a lot of heat for calling Pondexter to UW, because he hadn't made an official statement, so actually I'm entitled to a little respect for sticking to my guns, though I know I doubt I'll get it here.

Did I just hear you say that according to yourself, you are "entitled to a little respect"? I just find this to be a weird comment.

I also did the same with Hawes and Nelson, but in a less official way, after I was told you need a quote from an identified source to back it up.

Havent we also known for a pretty long time that it would be a phat chance that Hawes would not attend Wash.

I guess until you've done this for a while, everyone thinks you don't know what you are doing and making it up as you go.

This rings true in just about anything in life. I would have to agree that it sucks.

Sorry I rub you the wrong way about "5 out of 6". I usually only use that as I'm hearing from one of you how UW is a flash in the pan and not in the class of AZ.

This is perhaps the most important thing I am going to say. Why do UW fans always get angry when people call them a flash in the pan. They have done nothing YET to disprove this. While good recruiting classes are integral to not being a flash in the pan, we can not even compare them to AZ and Stanford until they maintain their high caliber of play for a good amount of time.

ByJoveByJingle
10-29-2005, 08:49 PM
I called it to UW before anyone with Pondexter, so go back and look at the record. If Josh was sure he was going to commit to UW, why didn't he stick his neck out and predict it in the form of a feature?

I did and whether it was common knowledge, I took it upon myself to go on the record. I've got a lot of respect for Josh and Ben, just don't call me out if you can't back it up.

What bugged me about that, was the guy that everyone looked to as breaking the Hawes commit only said that "a reliable source" said.

By the way, congratulations on Budinger.

I think he is a very special player, as is Marcus Williams, though I don't think Marcus will be your savior this year, as some assert. He went to my high school and I really like his game. I think he will help out AZ this year though, if he's not depended on too much.

Whatever makes you happy man. All I can tell you is that Arizona fans knew he was having academic troubles, was not coming to Arizona, and in fact was probably headed to Washington a loooooooooooooooong time ago. But keep building yourself up to an audience that couldn't care less! :robevans:

TopCat
10-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Why would Josh write a feature about a player AZ passed on? It's a waste of his time to write it and ours to read it, when he can just make a post on the premium board saying, "AZ is passing on QP, Washington is a likely spot for him to land."

Seriously.

It's just like when AZ passed on Martel Webster to land Marcus Williams. We here knew about it immediately, and the reason why we passed. The staff considered him too much of an NBA risk to waste a scholarship on a player they knew would probably bolt for the NBA. We knew that a long time before the UW posters started flooding our board telling us UW was stomping us in recruiting, only to watch Webster bolt on them a few months later.

You should consider signing up for premium here so you can get some advance knowledge about the UW recruits we're passing on... :)

Taylor
10-30-2005, 02:28 PM

Tool.

I give UA props for their consistency, and their rich bball history...and yes, their NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP that gets brought up on this board every couple minutes. But c'mon...give it a rest. While i realize the past is important...it was 9 years ago. It's just plain arrogant the way you compare UA to UW. Big frickin' deal, you won one more game that UW did in the tourney last year. Get over yourself, and just deal with the fact that, CURRENTLY, UW is an up-and-comer, they had a good season last year, and they have put together a good '06 class...and an amazing '07 class. And yes, many people will start mentioning them in the same breath as UA because RIGHT NOW IN 2005 they are competitive with UA. I know that may be hard for you to wrap your brain around...but I think it's something you may have to deal with.

UW without that angry midget Nate Robinson might be like Maryland without Juan Dixon.

They weren't really very good before him, and might never be really good since he left.

Taylor
10-30-2005, 02:29 PM

I'd like to take this opportunity to revel in my lack of class. Go **** yourself, assblight. :robevans:

TucsonDon
12-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Thank you, Gato, for alerting my attention to this. Gotta be one of Basnight's first...

voncub
12-08-2006, 08:22 PM
When will Jim be accurate in a prediction?
We are truly blessed by the idiot savant.

LegallyKenny
12-08-2006, 08:37 PM
HPJ is very good, actually.

Arizona was told repeatedly that he would commit if officially offered but it never happened.

HPJ was told by numerous NBA people that he is one of the main young players they are keeping their eyes on. He considered going pro at one point while still in prep school. He is a very good player, particularly on defense and athletically.

But let's just watch and see how the year plays out.

How many virtual-lock NBA players aren't good?

If his outside J comes around, he could be a Lottery pick one day.
He may start off slow this year as he adjusts to this level, but he will be on the All-Freshman (Pac-10) team.

-Ben

I love Ben's talent evaluations.

gumby
12-28-2006, 02:21 PM
How many "virtual lock NBA players" play for Idaho?

TucsonDon
12-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Oh, the disappointment of going to Pauley tonight and expecting to see Harvey Perry, senior guard at Colorado State only to find that he was suspended and hasn't played in a month.