PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Will Be In Trouble Tonight

TucsonDon
11-17-2005, 04:59 AM
They play Temple, a team with tough players who don't turn the ball over. UCLA has a few good shooters but the team is very young and won't know what to make of the match-up zone. I'm sensing a loss in this one, which will be disappointing because it won't allow the team and its players a chance to work more together next week in New York, and also because it will reflect poorly on the state of the conference. There is a great match-up in this one though with one of the best defenders in the Pac-10 in Afflalo more than likely guarding Mardy Collins, a future first round pick at the PG position.

the goat
11-17-2005, 05:13 AM
I'm definitely not going to count the Bruins out of this one. That said the bigs will have to give some Ucla something tonight, because Temple doesn't seem to have anything besides barely servicerable big guys. I think this game could be a benchmark game and it will be intersting to see how they bust the zone and react to a team that is coached well on the defensive side of the ball. Also Collins is a freaking stud and just fills the box score.

Itamicbomb
11-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Both of the games in that half should be very interesting. Temple is a solid team and I really like Collins - that one could easily go either way. Alabama - Memphis is also intriguing.

Thank you, NIT bracketeers and Missouri, for giving us the winner of Drexel - Sam Houston State in the semis.

Jason Scheer
11-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Hopefully Collins isnt guarded by Farmar because he'll blow him up

edgewood4
11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Not sure if UCLA will get upset tonight, but I believe two top-25 teams will.

Wake Forest hasn't looked great at all so far and tonight they play a pretty good Florida team. Florida's bigs should be able to do an alright job on Williams, and their backcourt should dominate Wake's. Justin Gray has been far from impressive as a PG.

The Syracuse/Texas Tech game should also be a good one. If Tech's bigs can hold Terrence Roberts they should dominate the game. Zeno and Jackson should be able to handle Mcnamara and Devendorf.

Iningo_Montoya
11-17-2005, 12:13 PM
I agree on both of those games Edgewood. Especially the Texas Tech game. Syracuse is VERY overrated.

I am interested in how UCLA's guards take care of the ball. Collins is a total ballhawk and averaged almost 3 steals a game last year. If Farmar or Afflalo don't respect his ability to play passing lanes, it could be a long night.

SoCalCat
11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
UCLA will win. It's a home game at Pauley and that means all 5,000 rowdy fans will show up to cheer the Bruins to victory.

Flipper
11-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Hopefully Collins isnt guarded by Farmar because he'll blow him up

Hardly. The defensive stoppers on the perimeter, especially against bigger guys are Bozeman and Afflalo.

On a Thursday night, against a name opponent, and not really on TV, we should see somewhere around 8-10k.

Itamicbomb
11-17-2005, 01:12 PM
That's shameful that you can't sell out against a top-30 opponent. It's also on national television.

11Banners
11-17-2005, 01:23 PM
That's shameful that you can't sell out against a top-30 opponent. It's also on national television.

Problem is half the grey hairs who have had season seats for the past 20 or 30 years don't go to half the games. All those bottom section seats are sold, but they can barely get up for the "big games." During the 8 clap, they just start at 6 and do only one letter as well.

The worst thing and best thing about UCLA is the location. If I am in Orange County, I probably won't be making UCLA games on the weekdays because of the traffic after work that would get me to the game around 9 oclock. But they will start selling out again once the W's come in full force.

Itamicbomb
11-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I hear you - so the seats are sold, they're just not filled. Nothing you can do about that, and Duke had the same issues against BU and to a lesser extent last night. Good luck to you guys tonight, I'd like to get at least one good game out of the NIT. BU played their funky offense, Seton Hall was terrible, and I expect similar results against Drexel/Sam Houston State.

93GRAD
11-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Has Temple improved that much from last year? As long as UCLA shows patience in their offense I can't imagine them losing.

Itamicbomb
11-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Temple was a bubble team last year, just like UCLA. They, like all of Chaney's teams, play tough (some might call it thuggish, like that guy from St. Joe's) and have a legitimate star in Collins.

Jason Scheer
11-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Hardly. The defensive stoppers on the perimeter, especially against bigger guys are Bozeman and Afflalo.

On a Thursday night, against a name opponent, and not really on TV, we should see somewhere around 8-10k.

I meant Collins would blow up Farmar..hed drop 30 on him

Flipper
11-17-2005, 09:26 PM
I meant Collins would blow up Farmar..hed drop 30 on him

Agree, which is why Howland's not going to let Jordan anywhere near Collins. JF's got a ways to go on the defensive end.

LegallyKenny
11-17-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't consider ESPNU to be national TV. Why is this the only game not on the normal ESPN/ESPN2 schedule????

Itamicbomb
11-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Oops, thought it was on the deuce. Doesn't everyone want to see Drexel - Sam Houston State?

:uzi NIT Bracketers.

the goat
11-17-2005, 10:23 PM
LoL yeah the U is pretty weak. At least Memphis vs Alabama is on. Should defintiely be a good game. Wake vs Florida wasn't that bad to watch. My guys seemed to pull in some decent stat lines. :)

TucsonDon
11-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Oops, thought it was on the deuce. Doesn't everyone want to see Drexel - Sam Houston State?

:uzi NIT Bracketers.
Umm...Yeah. Sitting at Maloney's pulling for the +11.5.

LegallyKenny
11-17-2005, 11:33 PM
It may hvae to be a Q's night out here.

Jason Scheer
11-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Maybe Afflalo is concentrating more on D because he has no offense right now..

edgewood4
11-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Not sure if UCLA will get upset tonight, but I believe two top-25 teams will.

Wake Forest hasn't looked great at all so far and tonight they play a pretty good Florida team. Florida's bigs should be able to do an alright job on Williams, and their backcourt should dominate Wake's. Justin Gray has been far from impressive as a PG.

The Syracuse/Texas Tech game should also be a good one. If Tech's bigs can hold Terrence Roberts they should dominate the game. Zeno and Jackson should be able to handle Mcnamara and Devendorf.

Ehh... 1 for 2 isn't that bad. :cool: Syracuse looked pretty darn good tonight. Too bad Roberts didn't do crap for my team. Tech looked like they had never seen a zone before. Knight has some serious work to do.

Itamicbomb
11-18-2005, 01:01 AM
UCLA ends half on 16-3 run, up 33-18 at the half. Both teams shooting terribly, not sure if it is good defense or terrible offense. Collins has done nothing, Afflalo has 10 (on 3-10 shooting).

Jason Scheer
11-18-2005, 01:43 AM
This is a terrible game

Iningo_Montoya
11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I have never seen a Knight team look so completely inept.

I figured a guard like Jackson would be able to control tempo vs. a team like Syracuse. Instead it turned into a beating like nobody's business. Nice pick by me.:rolleyes: