PDA

View Full Version : Injury To Farmar Perhaps Not Too Bad

TucsonDon
11-30-2005, 02:12 AM
There was a second MRI taken today which did not reveal a stress fracture, but instead a sprained ankle. Farmar was just quoted as saying he is day-to-day, and that there will be a third and final MRI which will be definitive one way or another. Holding our breath...:robevans:

JMarkJohns
11-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Hope it shows the least of your worries.

TucsonDon
11-30-2005, 04:55 AM
From Tuesday's LA Times...

After spending a long, agonizing day wondering if his team leader had a stress fracture in his right foot that could have jeopardized the Bruins' season, Howland learned that Farmar has nothing more serious than a sprained ankle that is not expected to sideline him for more than a week.

"Jordan Farmar does not, repeat, not, have a stress fracture. I'm excited, happy, elated." said Howland after receiving the results of an MRI taken earlier in the day.

Said Farmar, who sat out Tuesday's game: "It's been a long day. It's a relief to know I don't have a stress fracture."

An MRI taken Monday was inconclusive, requiring the second MRI.

Farmar was initially hurt in the closing minutes of UCLA's victory over Temple at Pauley Pavilion nearly two weeks ago.

Afterward, Farmar's injury was diagnosed as a sprained ankle. He was fitted with a walking boot, given crutches and given the night off when UCLA played Delaware St. two nights later.

But when the Bruins played in the semifinals and consolation game of the NIT Season Tip-Off tournament at New York's Madison Square Garden last week, Farmar, his boot discarded, his injury seemingly on the mend, was back in the lineup.

He played 39 minutes against Memphis on Wednesday and came back to play 35 minutes against Drexel. Farmer made one of two free throws with eight-tenths of a second left to give UCLA a 57-56 victory over Drexel, but he struggled with his shot, making only one of 10 from the field.

TopCat
11-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Is it a regular ankle sprain or one of those evil "high ankle" sprains?

11Banners
11-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Is it a regular ankle sprain or one of those evil "high ankle" sprains?

I think it's a regular sprain. Those high ankle sprains take many months to recover from. UCLA's best defensive tackle had to redshirt this season because of a high ankle sprain suffered in August.

gumby
11-30-2005, 02:21 PM
I hate ankles. :angry:

Smurfette
12-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Farmar is a great ball-handler and the Bruins are not the same without him. A sprain is the best news the Bruins can get right now. They're going to need him for their Pac-10 opener against Stanford. My best wishes for a fast recovery!:)

Ben Hansen
12-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Sorry but what a stupid move for Howland to play his best and most important player 39 and 35 minutes shortly after a worrisome injury that everyone who has ever watched sports knows affects basketball players much longer than a day or two. Darren Collison is there for a reason -- and there's no excuse for playing one of the league's 3 most important players 35+ minutes two games in a row after spraining an ankle.

Collison is going to be among the 5 best freshmen in the Pac all year so may as well play him at length while Jordan heals. It certainly didn't matter that much to beat Memphis since SDuke would have had a field day in the finals two nights later against an overmatched Bruin frontcourt.

Now Farmar's ankle is likely going to be bothersome for a month and he'll get embarrassed by Chris Hernandez( but probably not as badly as Mustafa got owned last year by him), who will do everything he can to exploit the weakness on the 29th when Stanford rolls in.

When are Shipp and Aboya due back anyway??

TucsonDon
12-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Aboya may play on Sunday.

Shipp should be back practicing towards the end of next week sometime.

Ben, I agree with you that rushing Jordan back was a mistake, and I think Howland was thinking a bit too much about the TV exposure in the Garden and all the rest, although Jordan did put up 28 against Memphis and looked terrific.

In terms of freshmen, Prince Richard Luc Mbah a Moute is going to be a huge star. He's already the 2nd best freshman in the league behind Brockman, and I'm shocked at how polished his game is for a kid who hasn't been playing a very long time. He's long and athletic, a great rebounder, has a surprisingly nice touch with very good form on his shot, and he doesn't force anything. He can handle the basketball very well for the position he's playing right now (the 4) and eventually he's going to be a 1st round pick, potentially even lottery...no ****.

Jason Scheer
12-01-2005, 05:57 PM
That guy is a rebounding monster

11Banners
12-01-2005, 06:00 PM
There's some crazy stat that shows Luc Mbah Moute has more rebounds than Fellins and Mata combined, while playing 50 or 60 minutes less. I think once Aboya returns, Fellins is going to be riding the pine for a long time. Hopefully Ryan Wright will get some more minutes soon.

barringer97
12-01-2005, 06:04 PM
There's some crazy stat that shows Luc Mbah Moute has more rebounds than Fellins and Mata combined, while playing 50 or 60 minutes less. I think once Aboya returns, Fellins is going to be riding the pine for a long time. Hopefully Ryan Wright will get some more minutes soon.

What? Hollins riding the pine? I thought Hollins was going to be "The Drew Olson/Maurice Drew in a basketball uniform" this year? :rolleyes:

11Banners
12-01-2005, 06:06 PM
What? Hollins riding the pine? I thought Hollins was going to be "The Drew Olson/Maurice Drew in a basketball uniform" this year? :rolleyes:

How's Isaah Fox lookin' bud? Or even Ivan Radenovic?

barringer97
12-01-2005, 06:10 PM
How's Isaah Fox lookin' bud? Or even Ivan Radenovic?

You mean the Ivan Radenovic that went for 20 and 9 against UCONN (probably the best front line in college)? Not bad.

Who's the one that was comparing Hollins to Drew Olson?

Watch out for Ryan Hollins to be this year's Dijon Thompson/Drew Olson in a Bruin basketball uniform.

:roll: