PDA

View Full Version : Redick vs. Morrison with a little Salim

UA Cat 2
12-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Here's a tidbit from Jay Bilas on Redick vs. Morrison with a touch of Salim:

"ESPN.com came to me with a question: Which player would you choose to start a team, Adam Morrison or J.J. Redick?

My first reaction was why do we have to choose? Can't we just enjoy two of the finest skill players in the game and marvel at their talents?

When you choose, you have to put down one player. When you choose, you automatically have to separate. Why would we want to separate these two? They should grace the cover of every magazine together. We shouldn't feel the need to separate or choose.

But the question still stands.

Well, let me ask you a question. Which player would you choose, Magic Johnson or Larry Bird? The truth is, it really doesn't matter. You will win with either one -- and win at the very highest level. You will get a great competitor and a player who can make the unusual seem routine. When either is on the floor, you can expect something great.

On the college level, that is true of Redick and Morrison. Both are supremely skilled shooters and scorers with every shot in the book. Both are incredible competitors and will not allow their teams to lose. Both are graceful and multi-faceted off the floor. Both are well-read and thoughtful people who belie the stereotypes of an athlete.

With all that said, if you point a gun to my temple and make me choose, I will take Redick. No player in college basketball has answered the bell more often under tougher circumstances than he has. While he may miss, he always answers the bell and never chokes. He takes a pounding, but winds up dishing out more with his skill level than defenders can lay on him physically. He has a great pace and quickness of action to his game, and he has a cold heart and a calculating mind as a competitor. He never panics, but always delivers under pressure. He is college basketball's version of Tiger Woods, and he handles that awesome responsibility with great dignity. Redick is a target, but he is the one who usually hits the bull's-eye.

Usually, when one is so proficient, the contemporary thought is that there has been nobody better. Well, I have racked my brain for shooters who were better than Redick on the college level. The closest one I can come up with is Mark Price of Georgia Tech, but I don't think Price was better than Redick. He may have been a better player, but not a better shooter. The only one I can point to statistically is Arizona's Salim Stoudamire, who hit shots at an uncanny percentage and with similar difficulty. Stoudamire may have been just as good, and has a good argument for being better. Indiana's Steve Alford would be right there with Redick, but better? It's a close call to choose one over the other.
Listen, Morrison makes a great case, too. He is the new John Havlicek, and aw, go ahead and pull the trigger. I don't want to choose."

Chicat
12-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Steve Kerr was better than Redick as well . . .

LauderCat
12-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Please don't buy into the J.J. Redick hyperbole.

ANYBODY can look like a great shooter when nobody comes out to guard you at the 30-foot arc.

Redick is the prototypical Dukie. He *must* have uncontested shots to score... this is why he runs out to about 28 ft on the wing looking for the kickout. He ONLY drives the lane in order to get to the FT line. He is a great actor; he has perfected the "painful grimace" and "knee-grabbing/writhing in excruciating pain."

Redick fits Coach K's "buffoonery" style to a T. Foul-feigning, taking the uncontested bomb-three, and he's a handchecking sum*****.

Redick is jack sh*t, when it gets down to it, and the NBA will quickly point that out to him, just as it does every other Dukie.

And puhleeeze.... Jay Bilas is a DUKIE ! You think he's gonna say what he really thinks about Redick? We think <u>not</u>. Bilas made it clear last year, however, who was the better between Salim and Redick and it wasn't even CLOSE.

Bucktown
12-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Look...I'm no fan of Duke...but saying Redick is a shiit player at this level is just asinine. Pretty much any college ball team would love to have him suiting up for him. As much of a bastard as he may seem...if you can't say you'd love him if he were on your team...well...keep on...

gmunu
12-22-2005, 12:42 PM
I hate Duke as much as anybody, but if Redick wanted to transfer here for some reason, I'd be ecstatic. He really has shown an ability to create his own shot this year (I know, since they show every single freakin' Duke game on national TV), something he couldn't do a couple of years ago. I wouldn't trade Salim for him though...

Dubbin
12-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't be estatic.

kilroi
12-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Chris Rodgers is better, too.....

Wait, uh...

kilroi

Taylor
12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
WTF is he talking about? Trying to resurect the Salim/Reddick argument again?

I think Salim prover, rather emphatically, that he's a MUCH better shooter than Reddick. He's also more athletic, a better passer, a better defender...

killervibe
12-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Reddick hardly throws up uncontested shots. He is pretty much the focus of most defenses. Of course, when you have the green light to shoot 100+ three pointers a nights its not much a stretch to think he is going to hit 10-15 of them.

xethw
12-22-2005, 02:06 PM
I would take Salim over Reddick any day of the week.

But if Reddick wanted to transfer here, I would piddle on myself in happiness. We need a shooter like him so much...

LauderCat
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Bucktown

Redick can't hit a barn door with a baseball bat when somebody is guarding him. If you deny that, you don't watch the guy play.

His schtick is twofold:

1) Lob bombs from behind picks, or from about 28 feet on the wing - read: WITH NOBODY GUARDING HIM.

2) Act his way to the free throw line as much as possible.

We have developed a formula for measuring a player's PSF ("pus*sy shot factor"). When I have a few minutes later today, I'll post here how to do it.

Ree-dick's PERSONAL PSF is second-to-none in College hoops.

Nobody's saying he's a sh*t shooter. He'd be DEADLY at a game of H.O.R.S.E. But he would NOT be a good fit at Arizona, where players are expected to "mix it up."

bhanson
12-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Someone would need to teach the Cats how to set a proper screen if Redick came here.

LauderCat
12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
No offense intended to anyone on this thread. If you enjoy watching the guy play... hey... go for it. And we can certainly "agree to disagree."

But here are a few solids for you:

Redick will quickly discover that his game does not work in the National Basketball Association. That, my friends, is not conjecture. It is a dead fact. The gorillas in "the show" will show NO mercy for that. Ask Dunleavy, Laettner, Grant Hill, or Shanie-pooh.

To play at the NBA level, one must be a MAN. Redick is not a MAN, in the basketball sense.

Look at other white dudes - for instance Steve Nash, John Stockton, Steve Kerr, or Genobili. Or how about Dick Van Arsdale or Gail Goodrich? Those dudes would roll up their sleeves and fight Mike Tyson on the way to the bucket.

Redick? Redick is not even in the same solar system as those guys and never will be.

Wolfman Duke
12-23-2005, 12:46 AM
JJ has done it on bigger stages, against better competition, and along side another POY candidate in Shelden, who he has to share touches with. Plus, no matter how good people think Morrison/Salim is, opposing teams do not devise their entire defensive game plans around them. Opposing fans do not single Morrison/Salim out for hateful attacks and slurs. Opposing players do not foul and hold them the entire game. Against all this, JJ goes about his business and lights folks up every single game.

JJ is the best player in the country for doing it on bigger stages, against better competition, and against more adversity. Morrison plays for a mid-major and Salim played for the Pac-10. JJ is by far the best and will also succeed in the NBA.

BibbysTowelDude
12-23-2005, 01:06 AM
lol what a joke.. besides North Carolina last year, the ACC was wack... Besides Duke this year the ACC is wack...

Daryl Zero
12-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Salim only had one really good year at Arizona. Reddick has done it for every year he is at Duke. Morrison has the Stockton type game to create his own shot that could work on the next level. This issue with Reddick will be whether he can create his own shot. On certain teams with a good inside game, that may not be that necessary but he would still have to defend. Bottom line, I pick Morrison over either Reddick or Salim.

Wolfman Duke
12-23-2005, 01:13 AM
lol what a joke.. besides North Carolina last year, the ACC was wack....

Who won the ACC tournament last year?

Itamicbomb
12-23-2005, 01:15 AM
A Morrison vs Redick comparison is almost unfair because they do not play the same position. Obviously, Morrison is going to be the better rebounder because of his height, and Redick as a true guard should be a better passer and pure shooter. If you want to compare their shots, both have to work incredibly hard to get them - I challenge anyone to find someone who moves half as much in the frontcourt as those two - but once they get them off, it's going in. Gonzaga's upcoming game against Memphis will be very interesting in terms of measuring both teams against each other and seeing how Morrison does with one of the country's best shut down defenders on him.

If I get one player, I take Morrison.
If I get one shot, I take Stoudamire.
If I get one captain, I take Redick.

Drizzle
02-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Morrison is by far the better player and here's proof:

I am suprised no one has brought this up yet, but how many Micky Deez all stars does Duke have compared to Gonzaga? Okay, if you try to put more than one person to stop Redick, another Duke player will burn you. As for Morrison, teams design their defense to try to stop him, but they can't plus Morrison is only a Junior and diabetic so he doens't play the whole game like Redick does. Case closed. NEXT!

TFCATFAN
02-15-2006, 07:03 PM
I am no JJ fan, but if he played at any other school that wasn't hated or rivaled Arizona, he would be well-liked by us all.

Say...Utah, or Indiana.

Ofcourse he wouldn't have gone to the line as much and hence, would not be 60 points away from breaking the all-time ACC scoring record.:devil:

1UofACat
02-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Morrison is by far the better player and here's proof:

I am suprised no one has brought this up yet, but how many Micky Deez all stars does Duke have compared to Gonzaga? Okay, if you try to put more than one person to stop Redick, another Duke player will burn you. As for Morrison, teams design their defense to try to stop him, but they can't plus Morrison is only a Junior and diabetic so he doens't play the whole game like Redick does. Case closed. NEXT!

whatever...

morrison also played half of his games this year against high schools...

Jason Scheer
02-15-2006, 07:05 PM
JJ Reddick is also a focal point. The difference is he is a focal point of FSU, Wake, Maryland, etc etc. Morrison is the focal of San Francisco, San Diego, y mas. Morrison also plays no defense whatsoever and only averages a couple boards more. I know Morrison does good against the good competition but Reddick sees way more hostile environments and better competition night in and night out.

edgewood4
02-15-2006, 07:12 PM
JJ has done it on bigger stages, against better competition, and along side another POY candidate in Shelden, who he has to share touches with. Plus, no matter how good people think Morrison/Salim is, opposing teams do not devise their entire defensive game plans around them. Opposing fans do not single Morrison/Salim out for hateful attacks and slurs. Opposing players do not foul and hold them the entire game. Against all this, JJ goes about his business and lights folks up every single game. [/B]

JJ is the best player in the country for doing it on bigger stages, against better competition, and against more adversity. Morrison plays for a mid-major and Salim played for the Pac-10. JJ is by far the best and will also succeed in the NBA.

Have you actually watched Morrison in WCC play this year?

- Every teams game plan is stop Morrison stop the Zags.

- Morrison gets fouled, held, and hacked all game long.

- He is constantly ridiculed by opposing fans.

He still "goes about his business and lights folks up every single game." I admit, it's against far less competition, but those statements were simply stupid.

With that being said, I would still take Reddick any day of the week over Morrison.

F Duke
02-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Wolfman,

What's your excuse for JJ in the tourney than? The last three games Duke has lost in the tourney:

10 – 42 FG

You'd think the greatest shooter in the world who steps it up at the biggest stage against the best competition would be able to shoot better than 10-42.

AzDave
02-15-2006, 07:38 PM
JJ has done it on bigger stages, against better competition, and along side another POY candidate in Shelden, who he has to share touches with. Plus, no matter how good people think Morrison/Salim is, opposing teams do not devise their entire defensive game plans around them. Opposing fans do not single Morrison/Salim out for hateful attacks and slurs. Opposing players do not foul and hold them the entire game. Against all this, JJ goes about his business and lights folks up every single game.

LMAO.....clearly you didn't watch a single UA game last year.

Salim was doubled, grabbed, tripped, bumped, and was on stages every bit as big as any JJ has been on.

Morrison's competition may not be quite as good, but the WCC ain't chopped liver, and he gets the same treatment.

What you said is as ridiculous as people who say JJ only hits open shots.

SDCatlover
02-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Reddick is a stud shooter. He may not have been as dead accurate percentage wise as Salim, but anyone who claims he is not very good is biased. You don't hit more three's than anyone without the ability to shoot in a variety of ways.

plant
02-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Salim is currently shooting a better fg% in the NBA than Redick did last year at Duke.

(but still. much respect to redick. he's shooting above 50% this year overall. thats not bad. i mean. its not like ... TERRIBLE. )

Also Salim has been in the top 5ish in points per 48 minutes among NBA rookies all season, most of it at #2 behind Mr. Frye. He's currently #3 by .1 points per 48 minutes. He's doing alright. I will put any ammount of money on Redick not beating that. Seriously, PM me.

Zona Dave
02-15-2006, 10:53 PM

Every road game is full of attacks and slurs. It doesn't matter what conference or level you play at.

As for the "bigger stages" comment. See Salim in the Sweet 16 against a Oklahoma St. team that would have eaten this year's Duke team for lunch.

That was one of the most ridiculous posts this board has ever seen. It happens to Morrison just as much as JJ and you would be foolish to not think it happened to Salim. Stop listening to ESPN and seeing the world through blue glasses. There is life beyond Duke basketball.:angry:

I am not saying that JJ is not an excellent ballplayer. But some of these points (99% of them) are just so Redickulous.

Drizzle
02-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Are you saying that Michigan State isn't a respectable team in which Morrison scored over 40 points against? Granted it went into overtime, but over 40 points is still impressive. I'd still take Morrison over Redick any day.

Itamicbomb
02-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Michigan State is 170th in defensive efficiency (94th in adjusted efficiency) - hardly a defensive powerhouse.