PDA

View Full Version : Basnight a disgrace to online journalism community?

Ziggiles
12-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Many individuals dis-like and even hate Jim Basnight for his poor reporting skills his extremely biased Udub opinions and his poor writing skills and unreliable sources. Recently he has claimed that Udub was leading for Kyle Sinlger, when all information points to Singler not even considering Washington, so I ask is Basnight hurting the credibility of online Journalist everywhere and especially on the rivals network, and does this hurt the creditability of our own staff here at goazcats.com including Josh Gershon, Ryan Stevens, and Ben Hansen to the casual online fan/reader/observer?

Message posted on the husky board:::

http://washington.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=988&mid=64708652&sid=&tid=64708652&style=2&Reset=1

Duke board calling him out:::

http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=65461902&sid=&style=2

Also Taylor King is Coach K's back up plan to Kyle Singler, my question is why?:confused:

Jim Basnight
12-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Try some Ginko

Jason Scheer
12-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Greatest frontcourt in the Pac since the Wooden era eh?

11Banners
12-29-2005, 12:22 AM
A few days before Basnight said Singler's leader was Washington, the same network quoted him saying UCLA and Duke were his co-leaders, with Oregon and Kansas behind. Scout.com just did a video interview with Singler, and he said his top 5 are UCLA, Duke, Kansas, Oregon, Arizona in no particular order. Either you're lying Jim, or you should throw away the number of your source.

Taylor
12-29-2005, 12:31 AM
His ass has a number?

azcat49
12-29-2005, 12:34 AM
How is this guy right on top of every post somebody makes about his posts? I mean you are talking minutes apart on rival boards. Thats kind of impressive in its own right! He's definately out on a long limb on this one. Singler's words and actions will define this deal. He(Basnight) will be a star or a bust. I wonder if the risk vs reward will be worth it(loss of credibility, either for he or his source).

Batpig
12-29-2005, 12:39 AM
I don't have much else to add to what I posted about this topic on the Duke and UW boards, but just I'd like to say one more time that it's completely ridiculous.

TopCat
12-29-2005, 02:29 AM
Rivals Newsflash!

Basnight's Stupidity and Blatant Homerism Unites Fan Bases.
December 29. 2005

A cheeseball University of Washington columnist sparks an alliance of UCLA, Duke and Arizona fans in an effort to curtail mindless psuedo-journalism...

Ziggiles
12-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Rivals Newsflash!

December 29. 2005

A cheeseball University of Washington columnist sparks an alliance of UCLA, Duke and Arizona fans in an effort to curtail mindless psuedo-journalism...

that is simply amazing that those three communities can be bound by hate for one man.

Batpig
12-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Rivals Newsflash!

December 29. 2005

lol, too true

JMarkJohns
12-29-2005, 04:59 AM
Is it possible for a Husky to be both more ignorant and more annoying than PomPomPizzy?

Jason Scheer
12-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Does a bear **** in the woods?

Itamicbomb
12-29-2005, 05:07 AM
I don't hate Basnight, I just think it's funny that he thinks UW can compete with Duke because they picked up Brockman

JMarkJohns
12-29-2005, 05:21 AM
I don't hate Basnight, I just think it's funny that he thinks UW can compete with Duke because they picked up Brockman

I showed Pizzy that Duke had one scholly for a big in 2005 and they had offers to Brockman and Boetang. Brockman didn't decide until October or two months after Duke's schollership was filled by Boetang.

Duke pulled off, so it wasn't even much of a battle.

Kinda like UA with Webster. Arizona pulled back, Webster commits to his #2.

Well, commits might be too strong a verb... :dirk:

Jim Basnight
12-29-2005, 05:23 AM
I brought Hawes, Pondexter and Nelson to the table. The same sources gave me Brockman and Martell last year. If I don't even post this info on my message board, I'm doing the Rivals network a disservice.

While I may be contradicting those that have put in more time, are able to go to more big time events and have had more pieces published in more big name publications than myself, I am doing what is my responsibility, which is to uncover the story.

If you don't like what you are hearing, because it doesn't reflect well on your favorite teams position in landing a big time player like Singler, then that's too bad, but don't ask me to wimp out here.

As far as my crummy writing and homerism, you are entitled to your opinion. I do think that UW could have the greatest front court since the Wooden era. The potential is certainly there, with players like Hawes and Brockman and perhaps a Singler or Kevin Love.

It's all based on possibilities that aren't likely, but the potential is certainly there, with the talent that is hanging around the NW these days.

By the way, why shouldn't UW be able to compete with Duke. they've done it already with Brockman, beaten UNC with Hawes and the list goes on. That mind set is very outdated.

Jason Scheer
12-29-2005, 05:29 AM
I think it is difficult to compete with Duke when the guy is asked twice who his favorites are, says Duke, but doesn't mention Washington

Itamicbomb
12-29-2005, 05:33 AM
You got Brockman because Duke didn't want him that much, plain and simple. You probably only got Hawes because he saw where in line he would be for playing time. Washington is a good school/good program, but it's not Duke.

Intermezzo
12-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Just be glad you guys have someone like Hansen instead of someone who gives people like Hansen and other legitimate reporters a bad name. It's amazing how easily this tool gets baited..... an obvious sign of an insecure hack.

Intermezzo
12-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Basnight wrote on the UW board:

"I do not agree that UW has long to go to surpass the success of UCLA, post Wooden. "

LOL!! How about this... count the number of sweet sixteens, elite eights, final four appearances and national championships by both squads post Wooden and then say this sentence above again with a straight face. Then I'll start to understand why you post the kind of nonsense that you do. Hell, even the worst coach in the history of college basketball (Steve Lavin) has accomplished more at UCLA than what has been accomplished in the last 30 years at UW.

Here's a quick stat to get you started.... In the past 30 years, UW has had 6 NCAA tournament wins. UCLA has had 38. Steve Lavin alone has almost double UW's amount.

Well, UW only has about 30 some-odd tournament wins and a national championship to go (while UCLA accomplishes absolutely nothing) to be named anywhere near the league of UCLA post-Wooden. Yeah, you're right.... UW's right there with us!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Chicat
12-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Basnight demands an apology in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

TucsonDon
12-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Also Taylor King is Coach K's back up plan to Kyle Singler, my question is why?:confused:
This backlash against Taylor King has been way overblown. The guy is going to be a very good college player and has a particular skill, the quality of which is rarely seen on this level. Granted he has trouble on defense and he is pretty slow, but he is still a McDonalds All-American and a fine basketball player. Teams could do a lot worse than getting Taylor King.

Ziggiles
12-29-2005, 07:17 PM
This backlash against Taylor King has been way overblown. The guy is going to be a very good college player and has a particular skill, the quality of which is rarely seen on this level. Granted he has trouble on defense and he is pretty slow, but he is still a McDonalds All-American and a fine basketball player. Teams could do a lot worse than getting Taylor King.

I agree with you that Taylor King is a very good player and he will really fill it up at the next level but he doesn't seem to fit the system at Duke. They play heavy man to man defense which demands that the defender be very athletic and have above average lateral movement, two areas where King is behind the curve. He would fit a system that is zone heavy on defense or that does not play a ton of defense ala Gonzaga instead opting to try to outscore the oppposition in hopes of coming away with a win.

Aca
12-29-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm not trying to defend anyone here...but I have seen from a different (trusted) source where Singler listed UW as one of his early leaders (along with Duke, UA, Kansas, UCLA, and Oregon) in an interview. He also said that that his list could change and that it is really early. This was only a few weeks ago. He was actually at the UW-Gonzaga game. Here is a quote from the article:

"Coach Romar is a real good coach", he said, "I watched him coaching and he seemed like he was just letting the players play. Washington is definitely a school that I'm looking at right now. I like how hard they play -- that was just a great college basketball game."

Again...this is from a reliable site.

Remember too that these are teenagers...they change their mind all the time, and are commonly telling different "reporters" different things. You just never know...

smashmode
12-30-2005, 01:33 AM

We competed with Kentucky and UCONN for two of our players..maybe those programs are not on Duke's level, but they are not that far right?

smashmode
12-30-2005, 01:34 AM
You got Brockman because Duke didn't want him that much, plain and simple. You probably only got Hawes because he saw where in line he would be for playing time. Washington is a good school/good program, but it's not Duke.

Thats idiotic, hawes would have started day one at UNC.

UNC wanted him bad.

Aca
12-30-2005, 01:42 AM
exactly Smash:
Kentucky wanted Oliver
UConn wanted Pondexter

PerpEph
12-30-2005, 01:43 AM

I enjoy Itamic's presence here, but this is a prime example of why people hate Duke. They simply assume that no-one in their right mind would ever choose to play at a college that is on a "lesser level" than they are.

Washington basketball is like Arizona football, only a few years advanced. They have started to show consistent results, while Arizona is all promise and potential at this point. But nobody seems to understand why Arizona is able to haul in a top-10 recruiting class in football, just like nobody seems to be able to understand why these great basektball prospects choose to play at UW instead of Duke or North Carolina (or Arizona). Well, it's pretty simple. Excitement for a program and the opportunity to build something special and take things to a higher level help land some of these kids. It's not just playing time.

Now I'm hoping that Washington and Duke meet in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 and Washington takes 'em down. That would be sweet for the Pac-10.

Itamicbomb
12-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Thats idiotic, hawes would have started day one at UNC.

UNC wanted him bad.

In front of Hansbrough? I like UNC's "backup" plan of Brandan Wright a lot better.

Washington is not yet a national program. When they are - and I anticipate that this will happen within the next few years - they will be able to compete nationally for recruits with Duke. Right now we are talking about Washington defending their home turf from Duke, who dropped out, and UNC, who wanted Hawes but filled their needs elsewhere, which is different. When UW starts taking players from Duke out of Chicago, let me know.

Aca
12-30-2005, 03:03 AM
UW won't have to beat out Duke for Chicago guys to get to the Final 4.
All they need to do is keep getting 4/5 star kids...whether they are from the West or the East...and they'll get there.
The bottom line is they are signing recruits who are being courted/offered by the best in college basketball: Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UConn, etc.

Itamicbomb
12-30-2005, 03:12 AM
Of course, and respect (or lack thereof) shown to Washington in this thread is purely in regards to their recruiting capabilities and not their current team and its talent. As Shav Diesel and Emeka Okafor can tell you, being highly rated in high school isn't everything, but that's how classes are evaluated.

Seattle produces 1 five star kid a year, and Romar has been doing a good job of holding onto the local talent. The nation produces about 30-40 of them. You'll do better consistently when you can pull down five stars regardless of geography, like the national programs do. When Washington can go out of area and take a player away from Duke, then I will be worried about them as a recruiting rival.

Jim Basnight
12-30-2005, 06:04 AM
1. Duke wanted Brockman bad, as did every school in the country, especially UCLA and the rest of the Pac-10. The only team that came close for Jon was Duke and the rest is baloney. We knew he was going to UW before Duke moved on and there is no question that Duke would have had a spot, if he wanted to go there. Didn't Pocious commit after Brockman went to UW?

2. Seattle produces a lot of good kids right now and so do Portland and the NW in general. Whether a player is 3, 4 or 5 stars is not the final word on success on the court anyway, but getting the big hype guys has a lot to do with prestige. Luckily, it doesn't automatically mean you win anything. Coaching, chemistry and karma have more than a little to do with that.

3. No UW has not gone into Chicago and beat Duke for a big name player. They have gone into Cal and beaten UConn and UK with Pondexter and Oliver. They have gone into Oregon and beaten Georgia Tech with Nelson and Wolfinger. They have gone into Chicago and beaten Illinois with Dentmon. And by the way Cat fanciers, they went into Vegas and beat AZ with Perry.

4. UCLA has one championship with more than a little help from a tough little competitor named Dollar and the guy who recruited him and much of the core of that team, Lorenzo Romar.

They dominated the Pac-10 for 4 years after Wooden, with his system still in place. As the memory of his legacy has dimmed, UCLA has still managed to continue to attract the top kids from all across the nation, especially the top CA players. This wouldn't have happened to anywhere near the same degree without the Wooden legacy.

If UW wins a national championship or two and consistently places in the Sweet-16 or better for the next 10 years, they will have come close to catching up with the Bruins after and certainly without Wooden and will be way ahead in the here and now, which is much more important.

If UCLA also has sensational success, over the next 10 years, it will of course be that much harder to close the gap. I hope the Bruins do, but it is possible that UW could surpass the perceived greatness of the post Wooden Bruins, much as AZ under Lute Olson has, in the next decade or so.

5. Be careful who you call a tool Intermezzo. You talk about the credibility of internet players, but offer nothing while you hide behind your little internet handle. If you are so cool, please explain why. I have done nothing but help uncover the scoop and have nothing to apologize about at this point.

smashmode
12-30-2005, 11:03 AM
In front of Hansbrough? I like UNC's "backup" plan of Brandan Wright a lot better.

If they would have gotten Hawes..Hawes would have been the 5..and hansborough would have been the 4.

Trust me when I tell you this..UNC wanted hawes BAD.

smashmode
12-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Seattle produces 1 five star kid a year, and Romar has been doing a good job of holding onto the local talent. The nation produces about 30-40 of them. You'll do better consistently when you can pull down five stars regardless of geography, like the national programs do. When Washington can go out of area and take a player away from Duke, then I will be worried about them as a recruiting rival.

Quincy Pondexter is just about a 5 star player and a likely mcdonalds AA. And he is not from Washington.

NorCalCat
12-30-2005, 12:25 PM
How can anybody give Assbight a shred of credibility when he says:

And by the way Cat fanciers, they went into Vegas and beat AZ with Perry.

I follow recruiting very little compared with others on the board, and even I know that's just BS.

Auercat
12-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Word NCC. Harvery Perry Sr was begging Lute to offer his kid. Instead Lute offered Daniel Dillon off of a tape. And we all know how good Dillon is, so what does that tell you about Perry (who the staff saw play dozens of times). :lol2:

Bearing Down on Perry Never Being Offered By The UA. If He Would Have Been, He'd Be A Cat. But Basnight Should Never Let The Facts Get In The Way of Pumping Up His Own Opinions of His Team :devil:

Auercat

LikesMikey
12-30-2005, 01:07 PM
The bottom line is they are signing recruits who are being courted/offered by the best in college basketball: Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UConn, etc.

Duke and company recruit all kids from coast to coast, when uw pulls one out of North Carolina or Kentucky then I might be impressed. Keeping kids that are in your own back yard, no matter how good they are, does not impress me. It means they are momma's boys who didn't want to go far away from momma's skirt when things get tough.

WildcatPaulG
12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Well, UW only has about 30 some-odd tournament wins and a national championship to go (while UCLA accomplishes absolutely nothing) to be named anywhere near the league of UCLA post-Wooden. Yeah, you're right.... UW's right there with us!!

In terms of overall tradition, Arizona isn't even on UCLA's level. Recent tradition, over the last 25 years, sure... you could say Arizona is a better program right now (but that won't last long), so how in the world does UW think they are on UCLA's level? They haven't even touched us yet. It's plain and simple. Assnight... when you attend 20+ straight postseasons, four Final Fours, Two NC game appearances, and a NC to show... then you can start considering UW in the same class as us. Until then, take a seat and shut up.

And by the way Cat fanciers, they went into Vegas and beat AZ with Perry.

Once again, you prove you know nothing. As NCC and Auer have stated, Perry Sr. begged Lute for a scholie. Lute wasn't having it.

If you wanna talk about Webster, please realize that Lute and co. knew he was going pro, so that's why we pulled his scholie. Webster wanted to be a Wildcat, but our peeps knew he wanted the fast cash just a little bit more. Instead, Webster settled for "second best" in UW. And even that... second best... is a term that's used loosely. I bet if UCLA got in on Webster, he would have rather have been a Bruin than a Husky.

Arizona has an EXTREMELY tough time recruiting against Duke itself. So how is a program that has had 2 years (I would say 2.5, except the losses in the first year to RPI #178 Houston and #226 Wyoming) of excellence going to compete with Duke, if Arizona has a hard time, even with a resume like the one we have?

Just deal with it, guys. UW < UA... so definitely, UW <<<< Duke.

KrazyCatFan
12-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Paul what do you mean 20 some years?

Basketball wasn't invented 2 years ago?

You forget to mention that they still need 11 REAL Pac 10 Championships to be on our level Paul.

Intermezzo
12-30-2005, 02:04 PM
They dominated the Pac-10 for 4 years after Wooden, with his system still in place. As the memory of his legacy has dimmed, UCLA has still managed to continue to attract the top kids from all across the nation, especially the top CA players. This wouldn't have happened to anywhere near the same degree without the Wooden legacy.

If UW wins a national championship or two and consistently places in the Sweet-16 or better for the next 10 years, they will have come close to catching up with the Bruins after and certainly without Wooden and will be way ahead in the here and now, which is much more important.

If UCLA also has sensational success, over the next 10 years, it will of course be that much harder to close the gap. I hope the Bruins do, but it is possible that UW could surpass the perceived greatness of the post Wooden Bruins, much as AZ under Lute Olson has, in the next decade or so.

5. Be careful who you call a tool Intermezzo. You talk about the credibility of internet players, but offer nothing while you hide behind your little internet handle. If you are so cool, please explain why. I have done nothing but help uncover the scoop and have nothing to apologize about at this point.

Yes, thank you very much captain obvious. Uh gee, John Wooden finishing his career with 10 NCAA championships in 11 years upped UCLA's profile a bit and UCLA wouldn't have recruited as well in subsequent years had Wooden never accomplished what he did. Can anything be more obvious? Do you have a point?

Your next paragraph I agree with....but it's completely different from what you were saying before and that was that UW's and UCLA's post Wooden accomplishments are not that far off. Sure, if UW consistently remains a national contender for the NEXT TEN YEARS (much easier said than done) and wins an NC and starts piling on the tournament wins AND UCLA becomes the kind of program UW was pre-Romar, then yes, the gap will be narrowed......another obvious statement. I was just pointing out how ludicrous your initial statement was. AZ fans have a right to make that kind of statement because they actually have accomplished a ton in the post-Wooden years. In fact, they have FAR and AWAY surpassed UCLA's accomplishments. They've been the dominant program in the west for the last few decades. UW, on the other hand, has done very little and to compare their post wooden accomplishments with UCLA shows either blind homerism or an extreme lack of knowledge about college hoops.

I'm not "hiding" behind my internet handle. A lot of people use screen names that don't give away their real name....does that mean they're all hiding too? I travel to Seattle often for business and will most likely be at the UW/UCLA game in Feb. If you want to meet up and discuss our programs some more, I'd be glad to.

I do not claim to be "cool"....but if you think being cool means not making a fool of yourself online, then OK, cool it is! And I never said you owed anyone an apology. Quite honestly, I don't give a rats ass about what some supposed insider on the net reports, so I couldn't care less These message boards for me are nothing more than entertainment.

You're right, I do not offer much for these message boards, but then again, I don't claim to offer a lot by coming up with bogus stories, pretending to be an insider.

Intermezzo
12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Arizona has an EXTREMELY tough time recruiting against Duke itself. So how is a program that has had 2 years (I would say 2.5, except the losses in the first year to RPI #178 Houston and #226 Wyoming) of excellence going to compete with Duke, if Arizona has a hard time, even with a resume like the one we have?

Just deal with it, guys. UW < UA... so definitely, UW <<<< Duke.

I can't believe this even has to be explained to a so called insider. But then I remember what program he's a fan of and it all becomes clear! I thought it was just SC people who were like this... I guess not.

WildcatPaulG
12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
You forget to mention that they still need 11 REAL Pac 10 Championships to be on our level Paul.

Sh*t... I knew I forgot something...

Give them their Pac-10 TOURNAMENT championship, along with the phony banner that hangs in HecEd. They still need 10 more to catch up.

You're right, I do not offer much for these message boards, but then again, I don't claim to offer a lot by coming up with bogus stories, pretending to be an insider.

Wait a sec... Basnight = SoFlaCat?

WildcatPaulG
12-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Intermezzo... he's using his real name.

www.jimbasnight.com

:roll:

smashmode
12-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Duke and company recruit all kids from coast to coast, when uw pulls one out of North Carolina or Kentucky then I might be impressed. Keeping kids that are in your own back yard, no matter how good they are, does not impress me. It means they are momma's boys who didn't want to go far away from momma's skirt when things get tough.

It doesnt impress you a team coming off of one good season, keeps 2 top 20 kids home?

It impresses me, especially since..UW has never kept good players home.

Yeah brockman is a momma's boy :lol2:

If UW can recruit the west, thats all it needs. ALthough looks like we are in good shape on a kid from Ohio.

Chicat
12-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm not trying to defend anyone here...but I have seen from a different (trusted) source where Singler listed UW as one of his early leaders (along with Duke, UA, Kansas, UCLA, and Oregon) in an interview. He also said that that his list could change and that it is really early. This was only a few weeks ago. He was actually at the UW-Gonzaga game. Here is a quote from the article:

"Coach Romar is a real good coach", he said, "I watched him coaching and he seemed like he was just letting the players play. Washington is definitely a school that I'm looking at right now. I like how hard they play -- that was just a great college basketball game."

Again...this is from a reliable site.

And that site would be . . .

Oh, the "reputable one that shall not be named". I get it now.

Also, I seriously hope that Jim "You Owe Me An Apology" Basnight didn't use that one quote as his sole source for stating that Singler listed UW as one of his leaders. Getting a quote off a 17 year old kid after he just saw a great basketball game and then expounding on that into a prediction of where he might take his college career is highly suspect at best.

Please tell me you had something more than that, Jim.

CaptainObvious
12-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Yes, thank you very much captain obvious.

You rang?????

Jim Basnight's music sucks.

J.J. Redick's poetry is beyond awful.

Washington will not win 2 NCAA titles in the next 10 years.

Jim Basnight
12-30-2005, 03:19 PM
about Singler.

I only said that it's possible in the next 10 years for UW to develop a legacy stronger that UCLA's post Wooden.

I think that UW could become the next dominant program in the Pac-10 as well but of course a lot has to happen to make that work.

I realize the likelihood of anyone being able to apologize to someone who comes on their board and outlines what their teams problems are going into the season, in a very straight forward, non-taunting manner is never going to receive an apology for being tossed a ton of insults.

That's what you enjoy doing here and god bless you.

As far as meeting up with you Intermezzo in Seattle to discuss anything to do with Pac-10 Basketball, I would welcome that.

Please go to my schedule in the web site that was posted earlier in this thread and see if I'll be in town.

As far as my music, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm glad that you enjoy music enough and understand it enough to have a developed opinion.

Music is a very personal thing and it's definitely fine if you don't like mine.

Unlike JJ Reddick, I have been making a living in music for most of my adult life, just to let you know.

smashmode
12-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Washington will not win 2 NCAA titles in the next 10 years.

Hell I'd be happy with One win.

Heck..right now..might even be happy with making it to the championship game.

Batpig
12-30-2005, 03:27 PM
4. UCLA has one championship with more than a little help from a tough little competitor named Dollar and the guy who recruited him and much of the core of that team, Lorenzo Romar.

Those are my 2 favorite quotes. IF? IF? Yeah, ok, if UW wins 2 national titles after never having won any then sure, they will have closed that gap some. Like others in this thread have said, you guys need to concentrate on beating a resurgent UCLA and Zona right now. How are you guys gonna pass Zona, honestly, they have been the best in conference for 20 years. Hell even in the best year in your school's history you were number 2 in the conference to Arizona. What if UCLA or Zona wins a national title or two? That has to be the dumbest hypothetical statement you could have made. Let me get this straight, what you're saying is that National Titles are good, and they make your program's legacy better, and they help recruiting? Well I'll be, that's amazing.

Furthermore, why are you claiming Dollar and Romar? Trying to bask in UCLA's refelcted glow? Romar was an assistant, that was Harrick's team and Harrick's title. Dollar was a player, as far as I know he has used up his eligibility, I don't think he can suit up for you guys. I fail to see the connection between Dollar playing for a national title and you guys winning one as a result of him being there. Anyway, just goes to show you how far you guys really do have to go. UCLA casts it's long shadow over your school, not will you owe future defeats to UCLA, but you also owe your current success to us. Cheers.

WildcatPaulG
12-30-2005, 04:04 PM
If grandma had balls, we'd call her grandpa...

Aca
12-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Chicat....
The website I was pulling that from is called Realdawg.com. It's a legit site that is typically very (read: too) conservative when it comes to making commitment claims. They may have some goofy "viewpoints" from time-to-time, but overall they are relatively conservative in their reporting. So I do believe the quote was real....and I do believe that Singler is considering UW. With that said...do kids get caught up in the moment and embelish? Sure...all the time. But the same arguement can be said during ANY interview a 17-year old kid does. Does anybody know if those two Rivals interviews took place right after the kid spoke to Coach K? Lute? Kent? Did they take place during an open gym that one of those coaches were attending? I don't care if your 17 or 37...if Coack K or Lute is in the gym watching you play it's going to effect you. Who knows... I think you see my point. I know that the original discussion was about the doubt everyone had because Basnight said that UW was Singler's leader...but the conversation started slowly moving to a discussion about UW's ability to recruit top-level talent....and if Singler is even considering UW. I think the quote is enough proof that he is considering UW.

As for UW's overall ability to recruit....I think every UW fan is comfortable with where they are as a program, and who they have running the program. If you base your opinion on how good a program is at recruiting on whether or not they can "out-recruit" Duke, Arizona, or whoever...I think your being short-sighted. Just because your team recruits the best (supposed) talent...doesn't mean they are going to win a NC. Sure...getting the best players is important...but "best players" is definitely subjective...which is why Duke doesn't win the NC every year despite the fact that they get a top-3 class every year (since they have the best coach and all). There's plenty of good players out there to go around the top programs...and whether you guys want to admit it or not...4/5 star kids are now considering UW....and may...MAY...even prefer them over historically great programs (UCLA, Arizona, Duke, etc). And just because a kid decides to stay home DOESN'T mean that they are a momma's boy. That is a stupid statement (which I'm going to assume was done tongue-in-cheek for the poster's sake because of how stupid it was and it came from a fan who's team just landed local product Bayless).

Wow...that was a long post. I have too much time.

Anyway...I can't wait until tomorrow's game.

ZONACAT
12-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Realdawg is the same crap website ran by Ruth who proclaimed CJ Giles to Washington, than came out and said that KU cheated after Giles went to KU.

Hardly a good source. That website is crap, and Ruth is a crap journalist too. They even hired PPP (Alex Law) to write his propoganda for that website. Conservative? LMAO! :D

I think rivals pulled them off of their network after the KU smack went down.

Aca
12-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Like i said....they have some goofy viewpoints sometimes...

ARe you implying that they misquoted Singler? I highly doubt it.

I'm not going to defend Ruth...but I don't remember her running a report about Giles committing. I do remember her saying that she thought he would commit to UW. There's a HUGE difference between a reporter writing on a message board that they think a recruit will commit versus posting an article stating a commitment.

And if you think for one second that Kansas didn't find a job for Giles' dad....you've got blinders on. They've done it before....and they did it for Giles.

ZONACAT
12-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah, they ran a story saying that Miami (FL) would only release Giles if he went to Washington, and pretty much stated it as a fact that he was going to Washington.

Listen, we all know that KU is shady, it's just bad when a site's admin badmouths another school's recruiting publicaly like she did (without concrete facts to back it up) and it cost her a spot on rivals. I don't think Shay was too thrilled about it.

I'm not saying that Singler didn't say that, I really don't care either way. But anything coming from a website that HIRED PPP (Reese, Alex Law), should be taken with a grain of salt, or make that a truck-load of salt.

Aca
12-30-2005, 08:57 PM
I think we're in (somewhat) agreement here.....
I don't believe much i see on any website or website message board...unless it is in the form of an official article. And even then, I typically only believe the quotes. I'm a skeptic by nature. The only think I posted was that I believe that Singler is interested in UW and that was because he said it in an article.

Jim Basnight
12-30-2005, 08:59 PM
From what I've heard from a very close contact to HPJ is that he wanted to go to 'Zona, but didn't have an offer.

Romar and Dollar had been pushing for him the longest and when he was offered by UW; Lute started becoming interested, perhaps coincidentally in all fairness.

When Harvey was getting close to making a decision to commit to UW, Lute came in and made a pitch and actually offered Perry.

Perry and family thought it was too little too late and committed to UW.

This stuff happens all the time and very often goes the other way.

A school gets involved late in the process that is the original favorite that wasn't interested and the game completely changes.

That didn't happen in this situation, so that's why I said that Perry chose UW over AZ.

If someone has something better than that to bring in that contradicts this, please give it up.

Jason Scheer
12-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Um I think you just confirmed he wanted to go to AZ but AZ didn't really want him

barringer97
01-03-2006, 12:02 PM
A few days before Basnight said Singler's leader was Washington, the same network quoted him saying UCLA and Duke were his co-leaders, with Oregon and Kansas behind. Scout.com just did a video interview with Singler, and he said his top 5 are UCLA, Duke, Kansas, Oregon, Arizona in no particular order. Either you're lying Jim, or you should throw away the number of your source.

Per Rivals.

"It's still kinda loose, but I would say that up in the top three are probably Duke, Kansas, and Arizona," Singler said. "Then it kinda falls off to Oregon, Washington, and North Carolina."

Since he's taken his SAT already, Singler can start making some official visits now that the new calendar year has started. Nothing is concrete yet, but he indicated what the plan may be for his trips.

"I still want to take some visits, probably at the end of basketball season so I can get a feel for the campuses and coaches," Singler said. "I want to get the West Coast visits done, so like maybe Arizona and maybe Kansas. So I can get those out of the way and get a feel for them."

ByJoveByJingle
01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Ouch. Sounds like a few people need some ointment for their buttocks. :)

TopCat
01-03-2006, 01:51 PM
From what I've heard from a very close contact to HPJ is that he wanted to go to 'Zona, but didn't have an offer.

Romar and Dollar had been pushing for him the longest and when he was offered by UW; Lute started becoming interested, perhaps coincidentally in all fairness.

When Harvey was getting close to making a decision to commit to UW, Lute came in and made a pitch and actually offered Perry.

Perry and family thought it was too little too late and committed to UW.

This stuff happens all the time and very often goes the other way.

A school gets involved late in the process that is the original favorite that wasn't interested and the game completely changes.

That didn't happen in this situation, so that's why I said that Perry chose UW over AZ.

If someone has something better than that to bring in that contradicts this, please give it up.

This would be Josh and Ben's territory, so all I can say is I'm glad this is on the free board because your information is about as thorough as the warranty on a Yugo... :lol2:

smashmode
01-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah, they ran a story saying that Miami (FL) would only release Giles if he went to Washington, and pretty much stated it as a fact that he was going to Washington.

Giles said on a radio station that he was 99.9% sure that he was going to UW.

Then a week later He is going to kansas.

He wanted to be a husky. And No, Ruth was not my source.

WildcatPaulG
01-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Self just told Giles that Romar was gonna die soon. End of story.