PDA

View Full Version : Hokies AD 'embarrassed' by Vick's conduct

Taylor
01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver said Tuesday that his administration was embarrassed by Marcus Vick's unsportsmanlike conduct in the Gator Bowl on Monday and that the incident will be reviewed and dealt with.

Marcus Vick's behavior in Monday's Gator Bowl was deemed "unacceptable" by Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver. (Matt Stroshane / Getty Images)
Vick, the Hokies junior quarterback and younger brother of NFL star Michael Vick, stomped on the left calf of NCAA sacks leader Elvis Dumervil of Louisville when Dumervil lay prone on the ground after tackling Vick in the second quarter of the game in Jacksonville, Fla. Vick said later it was an accident, but his version was not supported by video replays shown widely since.

After the play, Vick seems to pause before walking across Dumervil's leg.

Vick was not penalized on the play, but was rebuked at halftime by quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who said he even considered pulling Vick from the lineup.

With Vick throwing two touchdown passes, the Hokies rallied for a 35-24 victory.

Coach Frank Beamer said he did not see the play and couldn't comment after the game, and he and Rogers did not return phone messages left at their offices Tuesday.

Weaver also did not return messages left at his home and office.

In his statement, Weaver said Vick's behavior was "unacceptable" and "not reflective of Virginia Tech football nor of the values we hold at Virginia Tech. I and my colleagues in central administration are embarrassed and this athletic administration will not condone such acts of unsportsmanlike conduct.

"We will review and assess this incident further and deal with it accordingly."

Apparently, the Hokie's AD wasn't "embarrassed" when Vick got a fourteen year old girl drunk, then videotaped himself shoving his schlong down her throat. :eek:

How the hell Vick isn't currently seving 5-10 years for sodomy, statutory rape, providing alcohol to a minor, etc. is beyond me.

Auercat
01-03-2006, 08:31 PM
I wonder how "embarassed: the AD will be when it comes time to dole out the punishment. I think Vick should be suspended for at least 2 games. What a jack@ss. :fur:

Bearing Down on Between Vick and Jimmy Williams (Bumping A Ref), Virginia Tech Was Very Poorly Represented Yesterday At The Gator Bowl

Auercat

PS Was anyone else reminded yesterday of Christine Laettner stomping on Kentucky's Aminu Timberlake in the much balleyhooed 1992 East Regional Final? I sure was as Vick was every bit as classless (maybe more so since he was wearing cleats) as Christine was. Christine got away with it (like he did many other things) except for a Technical Foul. I wonder if Vick will. :angry:

SCCat
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
After the play, Vick seems to pause before walking across Dumervil's leg.

That is a very kind interpretation of what seemed to occur. It was a pretty bush move. I was more than a little surprised that the first teammate of Dumervil's to sort of grab Marcus after the incident did not straight out punch him.

LegallyKenny
01-03-2006, 09:03 PM
The video:

http://media.putfile.com/VT-THUG-1

pc in NM
01-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I wonder how "embarassed: the AD will be when it comes time to dole out the punishment. I think Vick should be suspended for at least 2 games. What a jack@ss. :fur:

Bearing Down on Between Vick and Jimmy Williams (Bumping A Ref), Virginia Tech Was Very Poorly Represented Yesterday At The Gator Bowl

Auercat

PS Was anyone else reminded yesterday of Christine Laettner stomping on Kentucky's Aminu Timberlake in the much balleyhooed 1992 East Regional Final? I sure was as Vick was every bit as classless (maybe more so since he was wearing cleats) as Christine was. Christine got away with it (like he did many other things) except for a Technical Foul. I wonder if Vick will. :angry:

If the administration has to make these kind of comments, coach(s) should also be suspended - what a jackass move for the QB coach to say he "considered pulling Vick from the lineup" - after Vick led the team to victory in the second half!!

Taylor
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Umm, why didn't they kick him off the team for getting a fourteen year old girl drunk, then videotaping her giving him head?????

VaTech runs a DIRTY program. How many players have been charged with rape in the last ten years?

bhanson
01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Vick was not penalized on the play, but was rebuked at halftime by quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who said he even considered pulling Vick from the lineup.

Until it came to Rogers that he really really really needed his job.

Auercat
01-03-2006, 11:35 PM

Until it came to Rogers that he really really really needed his job.

Well said.

Bearing Down on Self-Preservation And The Win Obviously Trumping Poor Sportsmanship and Deliquent Behavior :mad:

Auercat

AzDave
01-03-2006, 11:52 PM

Exactly what I thought of when I saw it.

OT: Did anyone see Fox Sports' "Beyond The Glory" special they did on that '92 Duke/KU game? They had interviews with a bunch of the players throughout the show. When they got to the highlight of Laettner stepping on the guys chest they cut to Richie Farmer, and Farmer says "He stepped on the only guy on the team that wouldn't have gotten up and clocked him".

Considering how those UK guys stuck together through the sanctions and whatnot, and that quote from Farmer (among others), it seems like that must have been a really fun team to root for. Heartbreaking ending, no doubt, but it seemed like a real "us against the world" kind of team. The only real Kentucky caliber player was Mashburn, but the rest of the guys had a ton of pride and busted their asses (at least according to the "Beyond The Glory" show).

Back on topic....Vick has issues.

WildcatPaulG
01-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I guess Richard Mexico has a lot of explaining to do...

SlothFratelli
01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
I guess Richard Mexico has a lot of explaining to do...

It's Ron Mexico

BigO
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
It's Ron Mexico

Ron's his older, wiser brother.

WildcatPaulG
01-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Big O got it. Ron Mexico = Michael Vick. Rich Mexico = Marcus Vick.

Jason Scheer
01-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Don't be surprised if he just enters the draft to avoid all this..

Chicat
01-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Big O got it. Ron Mexico = Michael Vick. Rich Mexico = Marcus Vick.
I heard he just goes by "Dick".

bhanson
01-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Gator Bowl ref: Hokies 'brutal' in first half
Jan. 4, 2006
Daily Press, Newport News, Va.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- Virginia Tech players were out of control during the first half of the Gator Bowl, and Hokies quarterback Marcus Vick should have been ejected for stomping on a prone Louisville defender, the game's referee said Wednesday.

Steve Usecheck, a Big 12 Conference official who led the crew for Monday's game, called Tech's first-half taunting and late hits the worst he's seen in his 22 seasons. He said that no official saw Vick stomp the back of Elvis Dumervil's leg while Dumervil was down on the turf late in the second quarter.

"We missed that, and I'm sorry we did," Usecheck told the Newport News Daily Press from his Colorado home. "The TV, everybody saw it but us. I wish we had the opportunity to talk to (Vick) because that was complete (expletive). You bet I would have thrown his ass out."

Usecheck said he has not seen a replay of the Vick incident but that purposely stomping a defenseless opponent warrants ejection. NBC showed the incident several times during its Gator Bowl telecast, and the footage has aired countless times since on ESPN and other networks. Tech athletic director Jim Weaver has called Vick's action "unacceptable" and vowed to punish him.

Officials called five personal fouls against the Hokies during the first half -- four that cost Tech yardage and one that was offset by a Louisville personal foul.

"I was really disappointed," Usecheck said. "We don't see football like that (in the Big 12). Those kids were just completely out of control. Louisville wasn't as bad. Virginia Tech was brutal."

Usecheck ejected Hokies All-America cornerback Jimmy Williams in the first quarter for swinging his arm at head linesman Al Green. Williams was jawing with Louisville's Amobi Okoye, and Green grabbed Williams to separate the two.

"He never hit the official but he swung at him twice," Usecheck said of Williams, a senior from Bethel High.

During the standard meeting of team captains prior to the second half, Usecheck said he told the players, "I don't care if I'm out here until midnight calling penalties. This has got to stop."

The second half was incident-free aside from offsetting personal fouls early in the fourth quarter, and the Hokies rallied to win 35-24.

Tech coach Frank Beamer was traveling Wednesday and could not be reached. But immediately following the game, Beamer said: "I'm not happy with some things that went on in the first half. Let's leave it at that."

Weaver said it would be inappropriate for him to comment on the Hokies' overall behavior because he viewed the game from the press-box level and not the field.

"That's more an issue for Frank," Weaver said of Usecheck's remarks.

But Weaver reaffirmed his promised to discipline Vick, first-team All-ACC this season as a junior.

"We've got to deal with it in a fair and firm manner, but you just can't go off half-cocked," Weaver said. "We'll get it done, I'll guarantee it."

Having Vick away from campus on semester break and Beamer on the road recruiting slows the process, according to Weaver, who estimated he's received 200 e-mails about the Vick incident.

"It's a discouraging time because we should be happy and celebratory of an 11-2 season and a great comeback in the fourth quarter," Weaver said. "People are concerned and think it was inappropriate behavior. They're embarrassed and we're embarrassed."

Also Wednesday, Governor-elect Tim Kaine expressed disappointment in Vick's actions.

"I thought it was kind of heart sickening when I saw the replay," Kaine said in response to a question. "I didn't see it live. (Athletes are) role models, whether they embrace that or not. It just really sends a bad signal. My 13-year-old son is a Tech fanatic, and he's watching that game and it takes something off the experience for him when he sees that. It really does."

Kaine said he would not advise Virginia Tech administrators about how to respond.

"I'm not going to tell the university what step they should take," he said. "I can tell from the comments in the paper that they take it seriously, and they need to."

Taylor
01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Vick seems to have a recurring problem with doing **** he shouldn't do, and having it caught on tape.:lol2:

WildcatPaulG
01-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Well, as long as he doesn't catch herpes, he's in a lot better position than big bro.

EegeeBoy
01-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Well, as long as he doesn't catch herpes, he's in a lot better position than big bro.

"Everyone knows how I get down." - Ron Mexico

ZONACAT
01-26-2006, 01:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2306452

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick believes Virginia Tech overreacted when the school dismissed his brother, Marcus, from the football team after he stomped on an opposing player during the Gator Bowl.

Marcus Vick later claimed the incident was accidental and that he apologized to Louisville's Elvis Dumervil, but the All-American defensive end denied receiving an apology.

Michael Vick, who led Virginia Tech to the 1999 national title game as a redshirt freshman, was at the Gator Bowl and saw his brother step on Dumervil.

"Sometimes your emotions just take over," Michael Vick said during halftime Wednesday night of the Atlanta Hawks' game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. "I know Marcus. He's not the kind of kid that's going to do something like that on purpose. That's just something he's got to live with, and now it's just time to move on."

Marcus Vick's Gator Bowl antics came after he received a speeding ticket on Dec. 17 in Hampton, Va., for driving with a suspended license.

He had been under a "zero tolerance" policy at Virginia Tech following his suspension from the university for the 2004 season after several legal problems.

Earlier this month, just three days after being kicked off the football team, Vick was arrested and charged with pulling a gun on three teenagers in Virginia.

The 21-year-old is free on $10,000 bond until he makes a March court appearance in Suffolk, Va., to face three misdemeanor counts of brandishing a firearm.

The brothers are living together now in Michael Vick's home in Duluth, Ga.

Michael said he believes Marcus will be exonerated.

"No, I ain't mad," Michael Vick said. "He didn't do anything wrong. The world will all know when the truth comes out."

Marcus Vick was a first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection last year as a sophomore. After being dismissed from the team, he made himself eligible for the NFL draft in April.

Michael Vick hadn't spoken of his brother's problems since the Falcons ended their 8-8 season with a 44-11 home loss to Carolina.

The decision to fire his position coach, Mike Johnson, on Jan. 4 surprised Vick, who made the Pro Bowl twice in the last two years.

"It hurts me to see him go," Vick said. "I wish we could've kept him around. I don't know why he's gone, but that decision was made, and it's just something I've got to deal with."

Vick has not yet spoken to a Falcons official since head coach Jim Mora hired Bill Musgrave as quarterbacks coach on Tuesday. He wished the team had consulted him before making the moves.

"I think it would've been appropriate, but it's all good," Vick said. "I can't make those decisions. That's why they coach."

ZONACAT
12-16-2006, 09:05 PM
What 19 year old star athlete goes around banging a 15 year old girl? Like there isn't enough willing tail at college.

http://www.richmondtimesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149192184044

Former Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick is being sued for $6.3 million by a 17-year-old girl who claims Vick deceitfully professed his love to her so she would continue to have sex with him.

The Christiansburg girl had just turned 15 when the two began a series of sexual trysts, according to the suit filed in Montgomery County Circuit Court. Vick was 19.

The suit asserts that the girl "suffered, and will continue to suffer, psychological trauma associated with the child sexual abuse perpetrated by defendant Marcus Vick."

Vick was convicted two years ago of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and the suit identifies the Christiansburg girl as the minor involved in the January 2004 incident that led to the charge.

Vick and two teammates were convicted of giving three young girls liquor, and according to testimony during the trial Vick told an investigator he had sex with one of the girls.

Vick's 30-day jail sentence was suspended on the condition that he have no more contact with the girl. But in her suit, the girl, identified as Jane Doe, asserts that the sexual relationship that began in January 2004 continued through December 2005, long after Vick's September 2004 conviction.

Yesterday, Vick's attorney, Lawrence Woodward Jr. of Virginia Beach, declined to comment on the suit. "We'll deal with it in court."

Vick, a receiver with the Miami Dolphins, followed older brother Michael Vick to Virginia Tech amid hopes that he would be an equally explosive quarterback.

But the younger Vick, now 22, was cut from the team in January after several incidents.

During the Jan. 2 Gator Bowl, he stomped on an opposing player's leg in front of a national television audience.

He was convicted of disorderly conduct in Suffolk in March after witnesses said he pulled a gun on three people in a parking lot. In Hampton the same month, he pleaded guilty to speeding and driving without a valid driver's license.

In the suit, the girl alleges that she saw Vick occasionally smoke marijuana in his apartment, and he offered her booze and pot. She also alleges that Vick tried to persuade her to have sex with him and another man, which she says she did once.

During a nearly two-year relationship, the suit states, Vick told the girl he loved her, told her he wanted her to have his baby and assured her that sex between an adult and a "child of her age" was acceptable. The suit also alleges that Vick told her that it was necessary for her "to engage in sexual intercourse with other adult men in order to please him."

According to the suit, "the misrepresentations were made with the intent to mislead the plantiff, Jane Doe, so that defendant Marcus Vick would be able to satisfy his lust, passion, and illicit sexual desires through the abuse of the plantiff."

The suit, which lists the girl's grandmother as a co-plaintiff, seeks $6 million in compensation and $350,000 in punitive damages.

Taylor
12-19-2006, 06:09 PM
He's a piece of ****.

This isn't "new" news. Look at my posts from January.

How he got away with statutory rape I'll never understand.