PDA

View Full Version : Jamison et al. traded for Van Exel et al.

azhoops
08-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Warriors Get:
Nick Van Exel
Popeye Jones
Evan Eschmeyer
Avery Johnson

Mavericks Get:
Antawn Jamison
Chris Mills
Danny Fortson
Jiri Welsch

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=1597137

ASUCatfan
08-15-2003, 11:43 PM
The Warriors must be expecting big things out of Dunleavy this year.

SnowCat
08-15-2003, 11:56 PM
they can get Jamison to put team first.

The trade is basically:

Van Exel + nothing + nothing + nothing

For

Jamison (A typical Tar Heel ball hog with good skills) + Mills (Ex UA product who if healthy "may" contribute) + Fortson (the rebounder they need) + Welsch (Great upside and will be a long term steal).

Before anyone get's cranky about the Tar Heel ball hog comment, let me make it clear.

I didn't check last year, as Jordan and Stack were on the same team so it seemed pointless, but the year before;

Jordan led Washington in FG attempts, had lowest FG% among starters

Stack Led Detroit in FG attempts, was lowest among starters in FG%

Carter .... oh hell, ditto

Jamison..... and more ditto

Wallace - only exception. Led team in attempts, and also %.

Not to mention - Jordan, Stack, Jamison all openly *****ed about shot attempts. Even George Lynch *****ed last year, and he's about as effectively offensively as Ben Wallace.

SnowCat
08-15-2003, 11:57 PM
>>The Warriors must be expecting big things out of Dunleavy this year.<<<

Just like they expected small things of Gilbert.

There must be a reason the franchise sucks.

azhoops
08-16-2003, 12:21 AM
Yeah...Great trade for the mavs

F Duke
08-16-2003, 12:44 AM
No need to apologize for the Heel ball hog comment when you're right Mtzwami.

I don't understand this deal for either team to be honest. The Mavs need a big man who can bang and they picked up an undersized power forward who is not a banger. They'll be fun to watch but aren't that much better.

For Golden St., well this is obviously a money factor. After signing Jamison to a big contract last year, they figured he wasn't worth it and would try to rebuild after losing Gilbert. They are going to be absolutely horrible next year. Dunleavy will get the opportunity to start and should do considerably better but I still don't think he's better than a 6th man, ESPECIALLY in the west. Van Exel will help but they have no one up front now. COngrats Warriors, you're the new Clippers

SnowCat
08-16-2003, 01:54 AM
Nick is the best player in the trade (not Jamison), and that makes it hard to grasp.

But, the Mavs obvious attempt here was to improve the front line. Rather than starting Najera, they can now start a known ball hog who really does have a good game.

Fortson is a capable rebounder, but I see the long term effect being the aquisition of Jiri Welsch, who will be a steal. Not now, but in 2 to 3 years.

Nick is tough to give up, since he was almost their best player in the playoffs. But, short term they should be at least as good while Jiri develops. Dirk and Jamison are both "tweeners". Dirk is big and plays like a SF, Jamison is undersized and plays like a PF. They may very well compliment each other - IF Jamison can play team ball.

HassAndre
08-16-2003, 03:22 AM
That's a good trade for both teams. The Warriors got a good PG and a scorer, but the Mavs got too much in return. Jamison plus Welsch and Fortson is like half the Warriors franchise. Great trade for the Mavs.

CDlockedJG2001
08-16-2003, 11:21 AM
DUNLEAVY TIME!

NewportCat
08-16-2003, 02:00 PM
they get an aging PG for there best player, best rebounder, and up and coming guard. Makes no sense to me. Dallas just got alot better IMHO and G State just got worse.

Ben Hansen
08-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by azhoops
Warriors Get:
Nick Van Exel
Popeye Jones
Evan Eschmeyer
Avery Johnson

Mavericks Get:
Antawn Jamison
Chris Mills
Danny Fortson
Jiri Welsch

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=1597137

The Warriors are by far the DUMBEST group of nimrods I've ever heard of in my life!!! Are you kidding me??? That is a god-awful trade for the Warriors, all they get is Van Exel! Avery Johnson, I thought he was coaching in the NBDL by now, he's as old as Methuzelah.

Golden State's ineptitude has hit an all-time high.

Elutist
08-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Could be a really long year for Chris Mills. Even if he remains healthy, he won't get a sniff of playing time behind the small forward dynamic that the Mavs have. Wouldn't be surprised if he were cut before the season began.

HassAndre
08-16-2003, 08:46 PM
Could be a really long year for Chris Mills. Even if he remains healthy, he won't get a sniff of playing time behind the small forward dynamic that the Mavs have. Wouldn't be surprised if he were cut before the season began.

Most veterans are out to win championships. If I were him, I'd personally rather sit the pine and be a championship contender, than play on a crappy team thats going nowhere. Dallas is a great environment for any veteran.

TopCat
08-17-2003, 04:01 AM
This trade makes a lot of sense

The Mavericks get a number of players who don't play defense (Chirs Mills excluded because he's always injured). God forbid the Mavs ever sign a player who can contest a shot, or hawk a passing lane.

For whatever it's worth, Van Exel is better than all of those guys combined (not sayin much {with a pass to Mills because he's always injured}). Popeye Jones is at least as much of a force as Fortson, and that's not going out on a limb.

I agree though. Golden State has some of the worst management ever. I'll give them a slight pass on Gilbert, because they were unable to match his contract. Too bad they waited until the second round to draft the best player on their team. GS needs a center in the worst way. To anyone who thinks Dunleavy is the answer, I'm betting GS is just waiting for a package deal to send him to the Clippers for some other Duke stiff not related to the coach.

CDlockedJG2001
08-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by TopCat
This trade makes a lot of sense
To anyone who thinks Dunleavy is the answer, I'm betting GS is just waiting for a package deal to send him to the Clippers for some other Duke stiff not related to the coach.

either way, he'll get to pad his stats, like some of zona's best NBA players do. and the two that don't pad (bibby and horse teeth) are role players on contenders who are asked to do very specific things and not ruin it for everyone else.

*still waiting for bibby to show up against dallas after webber went down*

wha happen wittle mikey? you lose your swagger along with your enforcer?

GO BOBBY JACKSON!

F Duke
08-17-2003, 09:31 PM
CD,

It must be so fun to dog playoff players when there's nothing we can come back with. It's too bad that none of the Pukies will make the playoffs again next year. Elton "I always make my team worse" Brand and Corey "how do you spell pass" MAggette sure aren't making it with the CLips. DUnlady will play on the worst team in the league and all the other Duke jokes are sitting on the bench for bad teams

CDlockedJG2001
08-18-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by F Duke
CD,

It must be so fun to dog playoff players when there's nothing we can come back with. It's too bad that none of the Pukies will make the playoffs again next year. Elton "I always make my team worse" Brand and Corey "how do you spell pass" MAggette sure aren't making it with the CLips. DUnlady will play on the worst team in the league and all the other Duke jokes are sitting on the bench for bad teams

i'm willing to bet that a duke players makes an all-star team this year and a zona player will not.

do you wanna take the bet? put up or shut up.

Knick
08-18-2003, 10:47 AM
According to Elton Brand, Bibby and Jefferson already made an
All Star team this year:

On his opinion of the 2003 USA National Team:

"I think that they've put together a good core of guys who are unselfish and want to win. It's the All Star team, but now we're playing like a team, so it's a lot of fun."

Don't you just love irony?

F Duke
08-18-2003, 11:42 AM
CD,

I'll make that bet. Brand is your only hope. In fact I predict there will be more Arizona All Stars this year then Duke players. Remember, Brand still has to get by Duncan, Garnett, Webber, Novitzki, Shaq, Yao, and now Amare Stoudamire. Nobody cares about a player who puts up big numbers on a crappy team.

CDlockedJG2001
08-18-2003, 01:40 PM
great. we have a bet. no excuses. i don't care who elton has to get past to et it. he's done it before.

F Duke
08-18-2003, 01:55 PM
He only made it b/c he got lucky and Shaq didn't want to play. What's the bet?

CDlockedJG2001
08-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by F Duke
He only made it b/c he got lucky and Shaq didn't want to play. What's the bet?

the bet is the i'll leave this board for good. and ben will make sure i do, because he'll ban my IP.

in return...nothing. because once i'm done laughing at your players, knowing that you wished i was gone, but can't do anything about it, will give me pleasure enough

F Duke
08-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Sounds good to me. I predict Arenas and Jefferson will both make it to the East squad next year. If you're lucky and Shq gets hurt or Duncan decides to rest, maybe Brand will will get his charity invitation again.

However, there are certain people on this board that are entertained by your asinine statements. Maybe leaving the board is too easy. Think of something else.

Knick
08-19-2003, 10:25 PM
With all due respect to the NBA All Star game, I just read the ESPN story on tomorrow's Pan Am Game, and I'm alot more charged up and prouder that Bibby and Jefferson are on the USA Team than I would be if they were representing the NBA Eastern or Western Conferences.

Link: Bear Down USA (http://espn.go.com/oly/columns/smith_sam/1599015.html)

Knick
08-19-2003, 11:02 PM
What was more significant:

That the US got slammed in the last international event that involved NBA players (finished 6th?) or

That the East (or was it the West?) won the last NBA All Star Game?

Raise your hands everybody.

Knick
08-21-2003, 06:16 PM
As per CD:

"[B]either way, he'll get to pad his stats, like some of zona's best NBA players do. and the two that don't pad (bibby and horse teeth) are role players on contenders who are asked to do very specific things and not ruin it for everyone else."

OTOH, there is Allen Iverson who said:

"Jason Kidd and Mike Bibby are running the show. All the rest of [us] have to do is run up and down the floor and defend and rebound the basketball."

gil=theonetruth
08-22-2003, 08:33 PM
Horse teeth? C'mon CD I don't think you really want to make fun of how OUR players look, remember who you're defending.

F Duke
08-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Dear Santa,

For Christmas I would like you to remove the hotdog from the back of my neck.

Sincerely,

Shane Battier

CDlockedJG2001
08-23-2003, 10:29 AM
"100...billion dollars"

---DR. EVIL.